My fiancé’s mom told me not to marry her son

I had a dude's mom tell me something wasn't right with her son. She was NOT lying. It's crazy though how many mothers will look you dead in the face and smile knowing their son is no good, but still want you to be with him.
Story time:
An old coworker meets a guy. She talks about him all the time. He had roommates, which isn't unheard of, we lived in a high cost of living city. Their dates were always early, like senior's special early and they never really did much. She couldn't go to his house because of his roommates. they couldn't go to hers because she was still living at home. So they screwed in her car.

The weekend comes where she goes to meet his mom, mom lived in the same city. Mom got my coworker alone, told her to run in the opposite direction. Her son shouldn't be in a relationship because he had too much going on. Oh the coworker finds out he has a kid from the mom too.

Coworker tells me, says the mom was minding his business and she was hating. Hmmm... a month later she finds out the truth: He lives in a halfway house and their dates were early because he had a curfew. He wasn't working. He was on crack. He went to jail for stealing for his crack habit. He was on crack! His kid's mom had custody because he was abusive. He was on crack.

I am sitting mouth open at lunch. I asked so how did he take it when you broke up with him? You know cause crack? This bih said she was going to love him through it. I left it and her alone then.

Last I heard, she had a kid for him, cashed in her retirement early, moved with him down south to live in a trailer. He then left her broke with a kid.

Story time:
An old coworker meets a guy. She talks about him all the time. He had roommates, which isn't unheard of, we lived in a high cost of living city. Their dates were always early, like senior's special early and they never really did much. She couldn't go to his house because of his roommates. they couldn't go to hers because she was still living at home. So they screwed in her car.

The weekend comes where she goes to meet his mom, mom lived in the same city. Mom got my coworker alone, told her to run in the opposite direction. Her son shouldn't be in a relationship because he had too much going on. Oh the coworker finds out he has a kid from the mom too.

Coworker tells me, says the mom was minding his business and she was hating. Hmmm... a month later she finds out the truth: He lives in a halfway house and their dates were early because he had a curfew. He wasn't working. He was on crack. He went to jail for stealing for his crack habit. He was on crack! His kid's mom had custody because he was abusive. He was on crack.

I am sitting mouth open at lunch. I asked so how did he take it when you broke up with him? You know cause crack? This bih said she was going to love him through it. I left it and her alone then.

Last I heard, she had a kid for him, cashed in her retirement early, moved with him down south to live in a trailer. He then left her broke with a kid.

Not surprised. For all of the feminism and pseudo empowerment of women that the Western world likes to propagate, most women out here are desperate for a relationship and do NOT feel comfortable at all being/remaining single :nono:.

Thanks for all of your input ladies. Here’s the rest of the story. This happened decades ago btw. She ignored the mom and married him anyway. Didn’t do her due diligence because she was blinded by love she said. They had over 3 blissful years. One dad her dad called her but she was in the shower so hubby answered. She yelled hello to her dad from the background while hubby kept talking to her dad. She got out, then out of nowhere, hubby pulls out a gun and shot her and left her for dead. Her dad heard cuz he still on the phone and called 911.

Dang, I didn't expect that. Considering that she was shot point blank, she's lucky to be alive.

I don't doubt that this is the account you received but there's a whole lot missing from this story.

Agreed. I'm confused as to why she can't have kids.

Not surprised. For all of the feminism and pseudo empowerment of women that the Western world likes to propagate, most women out here are desperate for a relationship and do NOT feel comfortable at all being/remaining single :nono:.
Feminism and women empowerment aside, which are things I believe in BTW... BW need to value themselves outside of a partner.

Also, one thing we need is to willingly embrace therapy. I know a lot of us are going now but I wish more would. We have to deal with past trauma because it impacts your present and future.

My old coworker had abandonment issues, she was abused, she had low self esteem... on and on. I am ~5 years younger than her. Before I stopped being friendly with her I told her she needed to talk to someone because crack use should be a deal breaker, among other things.

Last edited:
Feminism and women empowerment aside, which are things I believe in BTW... BW need to value themselves outside of a partner.

Also, one thing we need is to willingly embrace therapy. I know a lot of us are going now but I wish more would. We have to deal with past trauma because it impacts your present and future.

My old coworker had abandonment issues, she was abused, she had low self esteem... on and on. I am ~5 years younger than her. Before I stopped being friendly with her I told her she needed to talk to someone because crack use should be a deal breaker, among other things.
Crack? Not even a good drug, but crack? Let me go look at some puppies.

I had a dude's mom tell me something wasn't right with her son. She was NOT lying. It's crazy though how many mothers will look you dead in the face and smile knowing their son is no good, but still want you to be with him.

Like a previous poster mentioned, they want to offload their son on you so they don't have to be bothered with taking care of him.

Last edited:
That’s what we think but when desperation sets in, common sense takes a back seat. Think about how many red flags and dealbreakers were there before crack came in the picture.

Agreed... This is where therapy, self awareness, standards come into play. You know you deserve more than just a man. I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard "... at least I'm not single.", I would laugh and smh because I will take single everyday than to put up with a lot of the mess I have observed.

At this stage in my mental peace and self priority game, I'd be out. I dont have it in me do anything else. I dont want anyone or anything disturbing my peace...and I have cut off quite a few people already to preserve that. The mere fact that she'd say something like that says there is trouble looming somewhere. Either people dont want me with him, thus will make my life hell, or he really is what mommy says he is ...and still a possible life of hell. Life is too short for the bs. And if you have lived more years that you have left...well.. Peace is Priority.

Sometimes we as human beings ignore the red flags,I’m quite sure she had plenty of notices to flee but chose not to & yes,if you have any type of issues that has never been addressed it will definitely pop up in other areas of your life in a negative manner..

*Sorry that happened to her

Thanks for all of your input ladies. Here’s the rest of the story. This happened decades ago btw. She ignored the mom and married him anyway. Didn’t do her due diligence because she was blinded by love she said. They had over 3 blissful years. One dad her dad called her but she was in the shower so hubby answered. She yelled hello to her dad from the background while hubby kept talking to her dad. She got out, then out of nowhere, hubby pulls out a gun and shot her and left her for dead. Her dad heard cuz he still on the phone and called 911.

She was in a coma for a year. Cant have kids anymore. He took all her money (hundreds of thousands of dollars) and fled the country. Till this day she doesn’t know why he did that. Didn’t even know he owned a gun. Found out he was cheating on her. He’s still at large and yes they’re black folks. She was sexually abused as a child and never really dealt with it. Had other bad relationships too.
Wow

Back