MSM Side Effects...

for me it was tiredness due to the detoxifying effects of msm.
Others say they had a lot of headaches in the beginning.
These gradually fade after a while...

acne, headaches, flu like symptons, tiredness, but it subsided and has me looking 15 again, my face is the best it's been in years no more acne, very firm :grin:

For me, when I was taking MSM capsules I would get my periods EVERY 14 DAYS, like clockwork! I couldn't figure out why but decided to stop taking these things and the biweekly periods ended. THis is why I'm cautious about taking them again, I'm wondering if the brand I got wasn't pure or if taking the crystalized version would be better, anyways I am hesistant.

Alli77 said:
For me, when I was taking MSM capsules I would get my periods EVERY 14 DAYS, like clockwork! I couldn't figure out why but decided to stop taking these things and the biweekly periods ended. THis is why I'm cautious about taking them again, I'm wondering if the brand I got wasn't pure or if taking the crystalized version would be better, anyways I am hesistant.

Yea it messed up my monthly cycle! Before taking MSM, I had my periods every 26/27 days. But when I started taking MSM, my periods were coming every 35 days! I swore not to take them ever again. I still got a bottle full of MSM.

I am in my second week of taking MSM. I use the Lignisul MSM at the lowest dosage and working my way to increasing the dosage every two weeks.

Results so far, I have not had any break outs, headaches, anything unusual. My face looks clearer and my knee does not hurt as much. Oh yeah, I take the Ester C with my MSM.

I've recently gone from 2,000 mg/day a couple of times a week to 4,000 mg every day. When my body normalizes MSM does wonderful things for my allergies, but right now I'm sneezing my head off. But, I can already see a difference in my skin. It feels like I'm wearing lotion and it's the middle of winter! :eek:

XXXtacy said:
I am in my second week of taking MSM. I use the Lignisul MSM at the lowest dosage and working my way to increasing the dosage every two weeks.

Results so far, I have not had any break outs, headaches, anything unusual. My face looks clearer and my knee does not hurt as much. Oh yeah, I take the Ester C with my MSM.

Hi,

do you mind telling me what brand of MSM & ester c you take....and where you purchase them? tia

hairwise it loosened my curl pattern and i believe ultimately made my weaker and less coarse. it did shed less. i got growth but i dont think it was good growth. i wonder if regular sulphur can soften the feeling to the touch without changing the curl pattern.

also helped with major aches and pains i had. i worked up to 4000 mcgs day of the powdered stuff.

Last edited:
Which MSM product do you use?

Cooyah said:
acne, headaches, flu like symptons, tiredness, but it subsided and has me looking 15 again, my face is the best it's been in years no more acne, very firm :grin:

Are you mixing these powders in water or juice and consuming on a daily basis?

XXXtacy said:
I purchase my MSM from the following website which I got as a recommendation from this board....
http://msm-msm.com/shop/boutique2.html

I purchased 1 lb of the Lignisul® MSM Powder and [SIZE=-1]1 Half Pound Bulk Ester-C Powder
The package come very quickly.

Oh yeah, They say you should take a MSM:Ester in the following ratio 1:1/4

I hope this helps you.
:)
[/SIZE]
http://msm-msm.com/shop/esterc.html

I'm so glad for your post. I've taken MSM sporadically for a while, but just started to be serious over the last couple of weeks. I had forgotten that the side effects included breaking out and couldn't figure out why after all these years of never having any bumposs, I am sporting two new zits like I'm a teenager. Two big, ugly, red zits. :(
But on the other hand, a positive side effect is that my nails have grown a lot and they are thicker and stronger and my skin is not as dry as it usually is. :)

HOw long after you guys started to take the MSM did you start noticing results?? (ie. better nails, hair texture, clear skin)

I just recieved my msm in the mail today, and I'm wondering how long I should wait until I can expect to see some real benefits from the MSM. OTherwise, I may see the side-effects due to detoxification and may not "stick it out" until the real benefits start kicking in. :(

Alli77 said:
OMG!
3.gif
Every 14 days!

CurleeDST said:
Are you mixing these powders in water or juice and consuming on a daily basis?

Yes maam.

I mix these products in water and take it like a shot. Once in the morning and a second time in the afternoon.

Alli77 said:
YES GIRL! I had to cut it out, it was a nightmare and they were full blown ones too, not light spotting.:perplexed

You poor dear! :( It sounds like a nightmare! I would go out of mind if that visitor came to see me every 14 days. Heck, I would love to cut back the regular visits in a healthy way. I'll have to think long and hard about taking MSM. :confused:

amorette said:
I am new to this site. What is msm? what does it do for your hair and where do you get it??
Usually, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) can be found where you would purchase vitamins and supplements (pharmacies, health food stores, supermarkets, etc...). I'm looking for some more info for you!

Last edited:
Here is some info for a trial regarding MSM as it relates to hair and nail growth!

TRIAL SHOWS MSM IMPROVES HAIR AND NAIL GROWTH

A recent, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial, performed by Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., showed that 100% of the subjects on MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane), a nutritional supplement that provides biologically active sulfur, showed increased hair growth compared to the group on placebo. Only one subject on placebo showed an increase in hair length. In addition, 30% of the subjects on MSM showed improvement in hair brilliance, while none of the subjects on placebo showed such an improvement. A second double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial, conducted simultaneously, showed that 50% of the subjects on MSM showed increased nail length and nail thickness growth compared to the group on placebo. Approximately 10% of those on placebo showed increased nail length growth. None of the subjects on placebo showed an increase in nail thickness. Cathleen London, M.D., a Boston-based family practitioner, said “I have been prescribing MSM for my patients experiencing pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia, and they kept saying how great their hair and nails looked. It’s good to see an efficacy study confirm that there are benefits in this area.”
Pure MSM was used in both studies.
Based on the results of the trials, Dr. Lawrence concluded: “Oral supplementation with MSM is a valuable addition to hair and nail growth. Hair and nail health was significantly improved in a short term of six weeks. If the trials were continued for eight to sixteen weeks, the results would have been even better for those on MSM.” The hair trial involved a total of 21 patients — 5 women and 16 men. Data was collected by certified cosmetologists under the direction of Dr. Lawrence. The trial parameters included hair length, brilliance, and diameter of the individual hair shafts using industry standard measurement scales. The nail trial involved a total of 11 subjects — 10 women and 1 man. Again, data was collected by certified cosmetologists. Trial parameters included nail length, thickness, luster and general appearance using industry standard measurement scales. “All subjects supplemented with MSM were duly impressed with the changes in the health and appearance of their hair,” said Dr. Lawrence. “The cosmetologists literally could differentiate which participants were on MSM* by the appearance of the hair, alone, after six weeks.”

© MPB Research 1999

http://www.hairloss-research.org/february3.html

what does it do for you? it seems like it is all the rage. does it make your hair grow faster? WHAT supplements make your hair grow faster????

I took it for a few days and felt really disoriented and tired. I had a whole tub of MSM from Vitamin Shoppe. I would take a bottle of water and mix a teaspoon with it. So it was very easy to take but i stopped because of the detox symptoms.

I've started taking MSM again for about a week now. I haven't noticed any detox symptoms per se. But I did get a pimple on my nose and it disappeared real quick. Could be the AHA creme. ANd right now I can feel a bum coming up on my chin, but I can't see it yet. I doubt it'll stick around though. You know when I was taking MSM befor, it loosened my new growth and although I didn't notice at the time, I had no complaints about my skin. I took it for like a whole year. I don't remember why I stopped. But I'm glad I'm back on it. Vevster, are you having any symptoms?

I've been taking MSM since, like, October. I take the powder. I would estimate that I am taking approx. 6,000 mg daily. I started off taking 1,000 mg and gradually built up as my body got used to it.

I am not really sure of the results of MSM on my hair growth yet. I had a retouch in Dec and I had good enough growth but I wouldn't say it was amazing! :ohwell:

Now, I won't retouch until April and I do have 1.5 inches of new growth UNSTRETCHED. I don't know what it is stretched. My new growth seems softer but the pattern is the same. It's just not as dry.

My skin is tight as though I've had botox or a mini-facelift. :lick: It's odd. It's also very clear. I also do the EVOO facial cleansing (see Skin Care Forum) with it and my skin looks amazing.

I did get headaches when I first started for like 1 week. :wallbash: I also broke out very briefly. I just used a little mtg on my breakouts and they disappeared and haven't returned.

My question is....:blush: (it's a weird question):blush:......I seem to have noticed some differences in my breasts. :blondboob They are more tender and fuller ever since October. :blondboob MSM is the only change. (well, that and Nioxin vits) Anyone else having this?

Back