Miconazole Nitrate

I still use it and Im getting great growth that I can actually see because I am in braids. I mix sulfur powder in my mix that I got from the Walmart near me. I just went to the pharmacy and asked for it but they didnt have it so they ordered it for me. It was about $4 for 4oz so it was pretty cheap. This is definitely a staple of mine :grin:

Where do you buy your sulfur powder from? Thanks!

Well I made my own hair cream based on a little research that I did. I used an antifungal, a steroid, and cayenne pepper cream. I mixed equal parts of all 3 ingredients and have been using this combination for almost a year now.

What I have noticed: My hair absolutely has to be relaxed every 3 weeks as opposed to the 5-6 weeks that I used to be able to get away with. At 3 weeks, my new growth is off the chain, I cannot comb my hair wet or dry. I have gone from hovering above bra strap (stayed this length forever) to well below bra strap, got a "cut" to get rid of split ends which put be back above bra strap around Nov/Dec 05 (see avatar pic), and now I'm back below bra strap.

Congratulations on all that growth!

Ladies, how long did it take before you started seeing new growth? I couldn't really keep track before bc I was 22 weeks post relaxer. I relaxed last saturday and have been using the Neosporin AF twice a day this week. When should I start seeing results? In another week or so? Just curious... I'm almost done my 2nd tube of this stuff.

This is a good question!

BUMP! :drunk: Where are you guys finding the Neosporin AF? I'm thinking that I've been looking in the wrong place. Is it with the foot stuff or the first aid stuff?

U ladies have the scoop on everything.

I plan on using Neosporin AF directly. Do you ladies just apply the cream with your fingers or via a squirt bottle?

Thanks. Can't wait to see where my hair will be in 6 mons.

Not sure if this has been posted in the thread. But I just called DermaDoctor (877.337.6237) and they do have samples of the Feet Accompli. :) She got my name and address and said she will mail me a couple samples.

Not ready to drop $34 yet... but if I have nice results then I'll be more willing. :yep:

I bought the Family Dollar brand MN (2%) and mixed about half the tube w/ a lil BT (not a lot). I put it in an old Doo Gro bottle and just shake it up every time I use it. I'm 4 weeks post so we'll see what happens. :)

U ladies have the scoop on everything.

I plan on using Neosporin AF directly. Do you ladies just apply the cream with your fingers or via a squirt bottle?

Thanks. Can't wait to see where my hair will be in 6 mons.

Is there a known benefit of using the Neosporin AF with 2% MN vs the Monistat generics with 4% MN.

Is it just a personal preference thing? I don't know that the 4% more is better in this case. Any personal experiences with using both?

Thanks Ladies.

PS (I just started using the MN 4% mixed with castor oil or my home made BT - just rub directly onto my scalp on my edges first to see what results I get...)

Last edited:
I found some Neosporin AF at wal-mart! Just wanted to make sure that I bought the right thing! I can't wait to start using it! My hair is flat two-strand twisted at the moment. I may start tonight!

BUMP! :drunk: Where are you guys finding the Neosporin AF? I'm thinking that I've been looking in the wrong place. Is it with the foot stuff or the first aid stuff?

You can buy it at Target, Walmart or any other pharmacy! It’s in the section with jock itch stuff (i.e. Athlete’s foot creams)

Thanks, cocoberry! I actually JUST found it like an hour ago. I have about half a bottle of BT left. Would it be a good idea for me to put a 0.5 tube on with the BT and just make sure to shake it up really well before each application?

Okay look, I've seen these posts about MN over and over. I finally found out what MN was and that y'all were hoarding all the Monistat and jock itch creams and putting them on your scalps - I thought y'all were some crazy so and so's.

However, this has been going on too long to be a fad so I went to Target and bought several boxes of the store brand Monistat and just hoped no one would ask questions. I refuse to be left in the dust with average length hair while you ladies are running aroud looking like Rapunzel. No Ma'am. I'm getting in on the action too.

I ordered some from amazon.com. 3 tubes for $8.15.

After running around to Kmart, (2) CVS, Safeway, (2) Targets, I finally found the Neosporin AF at Shoppers.. They had six on the shelf, I purchased 2. I should have purchased ALL of them because this little tube on last a minute if you are applying it twice a day. Im heading back to Shoppers tomorrow to get the rest of them if they are still there. If not, I still have my Target Brand I can finish up.

So, if you're experimenting with MN, is the general consensus that you should give it about 2 to 3 weeks before trying to determine whether or not you're really getting results with it?

I remember a few postings saying they couldn't really see any progress until after 2 weeks.

I would say so but Im going to give it a good full month. I just permed my hair on 10/8. I started using MN on 10/12 and already have crinkles or new growth. We all know for most of us or at least me that I don't start seeing new growth until about the 3rd or 4th week so SOMETHING is going on. I took some pictures last night so Im going to take follow up pics on 11/15 and compare. If there is a big difference, Im definitely posting pictures so you ladies can see. I dont want it to be a matter of my word, but proof whether it works or not so others can be encouraged or give it up......

where do u get 5% MN?

some ladies said neosporin melted better in their hair. I wonder if using 5% MN causes better growth. Anyone know?

Is there a known benefit of using the Neosporin AF with 2% MN vs the Monistat generics with 4% MN.

Is it just a personal preference thing? I don't know that the 4% more is better in this case. Any personal experiences with using both?

Thanks Ladies.

PS (I just started using the MN 4% mixed with castor oil or my home made BT - just rub directly onto my scalp on my edges first to see what results I get...)

where do u get 5% MN?

some ladies said neosporin melted better in their hair. I wonder if using 5% MN causes better growth. Anyone know?

The Neosporin AF does desolve alot better and quicker than plain MN. I don't know about the growth but I did purchase 4% Monistat today at Walmart in the tubes. You get three tubes which seems there is more in one tube than there is in that small tube of Neo AF which, is almost $6. I was going to try the Trimiconazle 6.5%. If anyone is trying that, let me know how it's working.

Sometimes I can't believe that I am actually trying this stuff. But check this out. Last night, my scalp had some funny sensations. Maybe what one member described as tingling. Her tingles might be different than mines but I know if felt like my scalp was alive. LOL.......

Angela

Last edited:
:peek2:

Here I am again with the friendly reminder: for those ladies who have FSA accounts, your MN (Neosporin, Capzaicin, Cortisone, Monistat & generic MN) are all reimbursable as OTC meds...

:yep:

I went to walgreens and bought a tube I think of 4% mn and then mixed it in a spray bottle with bt, doo gro and wild growth. I wonder if any one will cancel any of the others? Also I was wondering if I should go get another and apply that directly to my scalp?:spinning:

Bump!
Started the MN challenge today and wanted to see if anyone had any updates.

I will be posting my update pictures right around the 23rd on my fotki.

So far I have changed my mixture 2 times. The first mixture did not cause me to have any headaches, but did leave me with a sore scalp :perplexed

Mixture:
sulfur 8 (2 tblspoons)
dogro (2 tblspoons)
mn (2 tblspoons)
water (4 tblspoons)

The second mixture left me with a FEIRCE headache :wallbash:

Mixture:
mn (1 tube of monitstat)
water (2 tblspoons)

All of that said...I am DEFINITELY without any doubt expereincing fast growth...but I am still tryng to figure out how to avoid these bad side affects. So I will be doing another mixture soon :yep:

Ladies, you guys got me in the mood to try MN again. I even mixed it like some said to prevent headaches.

I put some on last Monday night and I had headaches all week. :perplexed

I guess it just is not for me.

Ladies, you guys got me in the mood to try MN again. I even mixed it like some said to prevent headaches.

I put some on last Monday night and I had headaches all week. :perplexed

I guess it just is not for me.

I am definitely going to redo the mixture, I think I put too much in this time, so I am going to some thing like:

MN (2 tablespoons)
water (8 tablespoons)

PS
I have a special applicator bottle

Hmmm.... this whole headache thing is really interesting. I have been using MN straight with nothing mixed in it for the past week or so and I have yet to get a headache. I am only using it on my nape right now just to see if it works, but I am using a lot. Are you guys SURE it's from the MN and isn't from something else?

I'm positive it was the MN...

And you know what that headache stayed with me for 2 days, and there was nothing I could do to make it go away.

My first mixture did not cause this problem, so i am going to lighten things way up. Hopefully it will still be affective. But if it happens again, I will have to leave the MN alone :perplexed

Hmmm.... this whole headache thing is really interesting. I have been using MN straight with nothing mixed in it for the past week or so and I have yet to get a headache. I am only using it on my nape right now just to see if it works, but I am using a lot. Are you guys SURE it's from the MN and isn't from something else?

I'm 100% sure that it's the MN. Last tuesday I stopped using it because of the headaches. Last night I decided to give it a try again just to make sure that it was in fact the MN that was causing the headaches. I even dilluted it even more. And of course today I have a throbbing headache. I'm just going to throw my mix away.

Well I guess everyone's body is different. I hope I don't start getting headaches. The only thing I experience when I use MN on my nape is a tingly feeling that I think feels pretty good. :perplexed

Back