Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

What was your experience like with shrinkage? My hair is armpit length when two-strand twisted without heat. Sometimes it shrinks to my collarbone if I sweat or it gets wet in the rain. Can I expect my starter locs to get to the same length?

I've decided to bite the bullet and schedule my install for saturday (two strand twists). I don't remember having shrinkage at all the first time I loced so I decided that I don't care/shouldn't worry about it/it's not going to happen :lachen:. We'll see what happens and I'm super excited !

I’m getting annoyed with my hair every time I wash it now! It seems like every time I am noticing a loc coming a loose! I’m really considering saying forget sisterlocks and getting my locs combined. This is very frustrating to go majority of the journey not experiencing any slippage, then to get almost 15 months in and start having these issues! :cry3::cry3::(

I’m getting annoyed with my hair every time I wash it now! It seems like every time I am noticing a loc coming a loose! I’m really considering saying forget sisterlocks and getting my locs combined. This is very frustrating to go majority of the journey not experiencing any slippage, then to get almost 15 months in and start having these issues! :cry3::cry3::(

I'm sorry you're having these issues so far into your Sisterlocks journey. 15 months is a long time to go without slippage for it to pop up all of a sudden, so I understand your frustrations. I hope it stops soon. What did your consultant say?

I never stopped having slippage of the locks in the front and side along my hairline. Some of those were always unraveling, even at 18 months.

Do whatever you feel is right for you, your hair and your journey. I contemplated combining mine a couple times but fought against it because I paid for Sisterlocks and wanted to see it through.

Now I'm wondering what my locks would have looked like if I had combined them, or if I had kept them and tried harder to resolve my scalp issues.

At that time I didn't even think to reach out to YouTube and the internet for solutions.

I'm sorry you're having these issues so far into your Sisterlocks journey. 15 months is a long time to go without slippage for it to pop up all of a sudden, so I understand your frustrations. I hope it stops soon. What did your consultant say?

I never stopped having slippage of the locks in the front and side along my hairline. Some of those were always unraveling, even at 18 months.

Do whatever you feel is right for you, your hair and your journey. I contemplated combining mine a couple times but fought against it because I paid for Sisterlocks and wanted to see it through.

Now I'm wondering what my locks would have looked like if I had combined them, or if I had kept them and tried harder to resolve my scalp issues.

At that time I didn't even think to reach out to YouTube and the internet for solutions.

My consultant said that since my hair is a finer and softer texture in the front around the hairline, that slippage would probably be an issue. Outside of that I really enjoy my Sisterlocks I just wish they would cooperate, and hate that it seems to take longer for them to loc when compared to traditional locs. My SO talked me off the ledge about combining my locs so I’m going to hold off on doing so. Hopefully by Winter my hair will be mostly loced.

My consultant said that since my hair is a finer and softer texture in the front around the hairline, that slippage would probably be an issue. Outside of that I really enjoy my Sisterlocks I just wish they would cooperate, and hate that it seems to take longer for them to loc when compared to traditional locs. My SO talked me off the ledge about combining my locs so I’m going to hold off on doing so. Hopefully by Winter my hair will be mostly loced.

Mine explained this, too. I just wasn't prepared for the realities when it actually started happening and kept happening every wash.

I just finished another retightening yesterday (it's still taking me two days) and I just wrapped some of the softer hairs around an adjacent lock.

The other areas I just twisted into a lock with my fingers because they are too short to stay in two-strand twists.

Did you see the video I posted on how to fix slippage? That might help you until you figure out if you really want to combine them or not.

Mine explained this, too. I just wasn't prepared for the realities when it actually started happening and kept happening every wash.

I just finished another retightening yesterday (it's still taking me two days) and I just wrapped some of the softer hairs around an adjacent lock.

The other areas I just twisted into a lock with my fingers because they are too short to stay in two-strand twists.

Did you see the video I posted on how to fix slippage? That might help you until you figure out if you really want to combine them or not.

It’s super annoying! Did you have Sisterlocks reinstalled? And no I didn’t see the video I’m going to have to go back and check it out.

It’s super annoying! Did you have Sisterlocks reinstalled? And no I didn’t see the video I’m going to have to go back and check it out.

LOL yes it is! I had so much anxiety and stress when I had my Sisterlocks and this was the main reason. I have traditional locks this time around but I interlock my new growth so that's why I always say 'retighten.'

I haven't been anxious or stressed with this set of locks yet. Just more so impatient with retightening because I want to be able to get it all done in 3-4 hours and it's still taking me 2 days to do it. It took 3 days the first time, so I guess I'm making progress. But still. I feel like 2 days is still a long time.

2 special needs kids, lack of speed, life and daily responsibilities are all factored into why it takes me so long.

I noticed that with this set I have a deeper understanding of locks in general, the different stages they have to go through to develop, and embracing the metamorphosis my hair is undergoing.

I also make time every day to look at locks or read about locks, even if it's only for a few minutes at a time. It's helping a lot to see different lock journeys and experiences. It definitely makes me appreciate my own journey a lot more.

Please answer the following questions:

1. How long have you been on your loc journey? Since May 27, 2014

2. What made you decide to embark on a loc journey? I've always loved locs but I made the decision to lock for spiritual reasons.

3. How long do you plan to stay loc'd? For the rest of my life. :)

4. What type of locs do you have? Sisterlocs, Traditional, Cultivated, Freeform? Traditional. Diameter is slightly smaller than a pencil.

5. What process did you use to start your locs? I went to a Loctician who started my locs with 2 strand twists.

6. How do you maintain your locs? I haven't gone back to the Loctician since she started them for me. Although I think the young lady who started my locs did a great job, I feel more comfortable maintaining them myself. I retwist every 6 weeks using the Interlocking (Latching) method.

7. What, if any, products do you use on your locs?
I haven't used any commercial products since I started my loc journey. I rinse my hair daily with water. I "shampoo" my hair with a baking soda and water solution every 2 weeks. I spritz my hair with a 50/50 Aloe Vera Juice and Water mix daily, seal with EVCO, JBCO, and essential oils. I may try using conditioner once my locs have matured.

I'll add pics this weekend.

you are one of my favorite members... my locs are the same except I don't use the latch hook method... still just retwist...

you are one of my favorite members... my locs are the same except I don't use the latch hook method... still just retwist...

@cutenappygrl Awww, thanks Lady! I like your screen name! I look forward to hearing more about your Loc journey.

Speaking of latch hooking, I haven't done this in a few years. I started palm rolling a while back. I'm thinking about interlocking soon (just once again) because I've been going hard in the gym lately so palm rolling would seem like a waste of time.

So I have a little update about my safety pins, etc. The last time I interlocked I tried the coil-less safety pin. It seemed to work with the fatter locks I have that couldn't fit through the yarn needles, but only for a couple rotations. It couldn't get all the way to the root for a tight, clean look. So I still ended up having to contort my bigger locks to fit into the yarn needle, and I didn't like doing that.

The other screw I thought about using is also a no-go, due to the corkscrew-like end. I received the bulb safety pins after I did a retightening, but I did see that my locks can fit in the bulb. So next month I will report back on how that works.

I may have to go ahead and get the largest sized nappy locks tool.

If I ever lock my hair this is the route I'd take "INSTANT DREADLOCKS

WOW... Kris McDred! He said you get to keep your length too! Fire.

I saw this video a few years ago when I was considering starting another set. Thanks for posting. I meant to ask Oasis if she would ever go this route based on something she said about her locks upthread but I forgot.

I like how he said time is the product. I keep telling myself that every day. It has certainly helped me to not get swept up in all these "what products do you use on your locks" discussions on social media.

If you do this method, come back and let us know. I'm sure your hair would look great!

I’ve decided to keep my hair sisterlocked and not combine. My locs have been with me through a lot so far, and I’m looking at other people’s journeys and seeing they have some of the same issues. One goal I have is to learn how to retighten on my own or take the retighten class.

I think this will definitely help you and give you more empowerment and control over your locking process. A lot of my negative feelings, stress and anxiety with my Sisterlocks had a lot to do with me not being in control of fixing the issues I had with my hair because I didn't know how to reinstall them once they came out completely.

I think this will definitely help you and give you more empowerment and control over your locking process. A lot of my negative feelings, stress and anxiety with my Sisterlocks had a lot to do with me not being in control of fixing the issues I had with my hair because I didn't know how to reinstall them once they came out completely.
Thank you! And right after posting this my consultant messaged me having to reschedule an appointment. I am thoroughly annoyed as this week is a formal dinner and my hair would have been done for that. This really has been an ongoing thing with her. I am officially over having sisterlocks and am going to just start combing them or am going to go to someone who can combine locs and just interlock the new growth myself for upkeep.

Thank you so much! :) I am already wondering what took me so long to get them besides the hefty price tag lol. I appreciate all of your advice. I will buy a swim cap just incase I decide last minute to get in the ocean.
How long did it take to complete your install?
I’ve been thinking about getting sisterlocs for over a year and I’m getting the nagging feeling again. I hope to wait till December but I don’t know if I can hold out. I also need to find a good consultant.

Thank you! And right after posting this my consultant messaged me having to reschedule an appointment. I am thoroughly annoyed as this week is a formal dinner and my hair would have been done for that. This really has been an ongoing thing with her. I am officially over having sisterlocks and am going to just start combing them or am going to go to someone who can combine locs and just interlock the new growth myself for upkeep.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know all too well what that felt like to be looking forward to having your retightening and then being bumped/rescheduled at the last minute.

I got ghost on my consultant for a while when she did that to me one month. I had had enough and went to YouTube to learn how interlock with a yarn needle. When I finally did talk to her and told her what the issue was, she apologized, explained why she was doing that, put me back on her book, and did my next retightening for free.

She asked me if I took the retightening class and I told her no. :look: . I was straightforward with her about using the yarn needle.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I know all too well what that felt like to be looking forward to having your retightening and then being bumped/rescheduled at the last minute.

I got ghost on my consultant for a while when she did that to me one month. I had had enough and went to YouTube to learn how interlock with a yarn needle. When I finally did talk to her and told her what the issue was, she apologized, explained why she was doing that, put me back on her book, and did my next retightening for free.

She asked me if I took the retightening class and I told her no. :look: . I was straightforward with her about using the yarn needle.
I’m tempted to go ghost! It is very annoying to have an appointment set up and then the day off a couple hours before the appointment have to cancel. She did come back and say she could get me in at 3 today so we shall see. I contacted a few friends and one person is only going to charge me 60 for combining my locs. I also got in touch with another sisterlock consultant to see if they are taking new clients and they are. So I am going to schedule something so me and her can talk. I feel like having locs shouldn’t be this stressful.

I’m tempted to go ghost! It is very annoying to have an appointment set up and then the day off a couple hours before the appointment have to cancel. She did come back and say she could get me in at 3 today so we shall see. I contacted a few friends and one person is only going to charge me 60 for combining my locs. I also got in touch with another sisterlock consultant to see if they are taking new clients and they are. So I am going to schedule something so me and her can talk. I feel like having locs shouldn’t be this stressful.

All of this!!! I said the same thing several years ago. If you decide to combine them, it's not hard to do it yourself. I know I accidentally combined a few Sisterlocks when I was in my self-retightening phase. But if you would rather have someone else do it then go for it. Just make sure you let them know upfront what you want in regards to the parting and lock size.

I studied all of Dewdrop's (DynamicRunner on YouTube) videos meticulously before and after I had Sisterlocks. If I recall correctly, she explains in one of her videos how to combine them and how to incorporate the stray hairs around your hairline into neighboring locks.

combining locks:

incorporating loose hairs into locks:

I had stopped watching her channel for a few years so I didn't even realize that she started another new set (braidlocks) a couple years ago.:

Man, her skills are so INSANE!!!!

All of this!!! I said the same thing several years ago. If you decide to combine them, it's not hard to do it yourself. I know I accidentally combined a few Sisterlocks when I was in my self-retightening phase. But if you would rather have someone else do it then go for it. Just make sure you let them know upfront what you want in regards to the parting and lock size.

I studied all of Dewdrop's (DynamicRunner on YouTube) videos meticulously before and after I had Sisterlocks. If I recall correctly, she explains in one of her videos how to combine them and how to incorporate the stray hairs around your hairline into neighboring locks.

combining locks:

incorporating loose hairs into locks:

I had stopped watching her channel for a few years so I didn't even realize that she started another new set (braidlocks) a couple years ago.:

Man, her skills are so INSANE!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this! And thank you for listening to my complaining and vents about my hair. I’m sorry I really don’t want to sound like Debbie downer about locs. My SO was saying that locs shouldn’t be stressful either and that they really want me to experience the beauty and freedom of having locs. So I am hoping I get to that point soon. I am definitely going to check out those videos it would be nice to know how to do my own locs so I won’t have to depend on anyone. Thank you so much for all of your help. :bighug:

Thank you so much for sharing this! And thank you for listening to my complaining and vents about my hair. I’m sorry I really don’t want to sound like Debbie downer about locs. My SO was saying that locs shouldn’t be stressful either and that they really want me to experience the beauty and freedom of having locs. So I am hoping I get to that point soon. I am definitely going to check out those videos it would be nice to know how to do my own locs so I won’t have to depend on anyone. Thank you so much for all of your help. :bighug:

Anytime!!! I vented to my ex-husband mostly when I had mine, but most of the time I internalized a lot of what I was feeling back then.

It's definitely an emotional roller coaster so I totally get it. I never got Debbie Downer from any of your posts. You're just in the valley of the not-so-good phase of your journey but it won't last long and you will pull through and enjoy your hair again.

You are well on your way. I'm glad I could help!

This process has really made me reflect and analyze on how much time of my life I wasted and spent being salon-dependent. Going natural 13 years ago eliminated a lot of that.

Today I am glad to be able to not be that person anymore unless I WANT to go get my hair done. It's very freeing.

Anytime!!! I vented to my ex-husband mostly when I had mine, but most of the time I internalized a lot of what I was feeling back then.

It's definitely an emotional roller coaster so I totally get it. I never got Debbie Downer from any of your posts. You're just in the valley of the not-so-good phase of your journey but it won't last long and you will pull through and enjoy your hair again.

You are well on your way. I'm glad I could help!

This process has really made me reflect and analyze on how much time of my life I wasted and spent being salon-dependent. Going natural 13 years ago eliminated a lot of that.

Today I am glad to be able to not be that person anymore unless I WANT to go get my hair done. It's very freeing.
Thank you again! Those videos were very helpful! She is definitely a beast! I hope she updates her channel soon.

I got in contact with another Sisterlock consultant and this one I honestly wished I contacted in the beginning. She operates in two different cities and comes to the city I live in once a month to do her clients. She styles sisterlocks and seems thorough with her work.

The only concern I have is that she only comes once a month and I have a few locs that tend to slip out a lot. With my current consultant when they slip out since she is local I can just contact her and stop in to get them put back in. Also I feel like I would feel kind of bad switching consultants. But I may try her once for a retighten.

I got in contact with another Sisterlock consultant and this one I honestly wished I contacted in the beginning. She operates in two different cities and comes to the city I live in once a month to do her clients. She styles sisterlocks and seems thorough with her work.

The only concern I have is that she only comes once a month and I have a few locs that tend to slip out a lot. With my current consultant when they slip out since she is local I can just contact her and stop in to get them put back in. Also I feel like I would feel kind of bad switching consultants. But I may try her once for a retighten.

That's great news! It's too bad she's only in your area once a month. I hope you have a positive experience with her if you decide to go to her for a retightening.

I hit 3 months on Monday! I was so busy with appointments for my kids that I didn't get a chance to come in and update. I haven't decided if I'm going to retighten yet or wait a few more weeks before I interlock my new growth this time.

I have also been watching Melrose Place (taking a break from my crime shows...LOL) and I made an observation. I didn't really care for Vanessa Williams on that show back then or her hair. But now I am entranced by her locks and stare at them in all her scenes.

Back