Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave!

Did they say what might have caused the damage?

Daily co washing and braids. I wasn't using enough protein to counteract the moisture from the co washing and it was actually contributing to dryness. The analysis out right said that I should completely cut out co washing from my regimen. Braids (even without extensions) apparently put a lot of stress on my hair so I should do twists/twist outs more often. I hate the way I look in twists though. :sad:

All this was surprising to me because I color my hair and use heat in the winter but I guess because I don't do those as often, the damage is not as extensive from them.

[USER=13583 said:
B_Phlyy[/USER];20311917]I got my results back. Confirmed a lot of things I already knew (fine hair, high porosity) but I was surprised at how much damage I had. It was pretty much recommended I start completely over. I'll probably be going to get a haircut in another week or two per the instructions that were given to me.

I'm sorry to hear that. Did they say you had to start completely over? Or can you just do a trim and start doing protein with regular dusting?

I started over and wish I had just did the protein, trim schedule.

Dang, I still haven't sent my hair in; I'll do that today. I guess I've been nervous because I was under the impression my hair was healthy as can be but then reading about people getting damage just from braids (wth I love living in braids) and having too much moisture I kinda dread what they'll say about me.
I will send in the hair though and see what happens.

Daily co washing and braids. I wasn't using enough protein to counteract the moisture from the co washing and it was actually contributing to dryness. The analysis out right said that I should completely cut out co washing from my regimen. Braids (even without extensions) apparently put a lot of stress on my hair so I should do twists/twist outs more often. I hate the way I look in twists though. :sad:

All this was surprising to me because I color my hair and use heat in the winter but I guess because I don't do those as often, the damage is not as extensive from them.

Hi, sorry to hear about your results. Here's to hoping along with faithVA that you do not need to cut it all off at once.

I have one question: is your hair visibly damaged (i.e. brittle, split, broken, etc.)? I apologize if you've mentioned this information before, I have not read the thread in a long time. I just ask because I sent them hair that was obviously damaged* and was told my hair was healthy.

*In the end I finally gave in and accepted that my low-protein, low-fat, low-caloric, iron-poor diet totally screwed up my hair (and body). I just find it odd, even after all this time, that they couldn't see any of that.

I sent my hair in 3 weeks ago. I'm super nervous what my results will be. I'm really hoping I don't end up wanting to shave my head :sad:

I'm sorry to hear that. Did they say you had to start completely over? Or can you just do a trim and start doing protein with regular dusting?

I started over and wish I had just did the protein, trim schedule.

She didn't say start over verbatim, but my hair is only 3-6 inches based on my sample (which is pretty accurate because I gave them my 9 months of new growth following cutting off bleach). She said to cut an inch or two then follow a strict 6-12 week trim schedule for a year to get rid of the rest of the damage. The only part of my hair that was healthy was the root.

I'm to wash with shampoo once a week and focus on keeping my crown clean since I have alopecia there. Do the protein treatments every 2 weeks to strengthen and help bring down porosity. She recommended their protein strengthener and the Califa line for day to day styling.

Hi, sorry to hear about your results. Here's to hoping along with faithVA that you do not need to cut it all off at once.

I have one question: is your hair visibly damaged (i.e. brittle, split, broken, etc.)? I apologize if you've mentioned this information before, I have not read the thread in a long time. I just ask because I sent them hair that was obviously damaged* and was told my hair was healthy.

*In the end I finally gave in and accepted that my low-protein, low-fat, low-caloric, iron-poor diet totally screwed up my hair (and body). I just find it odd, even after all this time, that they couldn't see any of that.

I could/can see SSK and some fraying of the ends when I sent the sample. But most of the damage she says it midshaft. One of the slide look like a little atomic bomb on my strands.

She did recommend some vitamins and dietary supplements I can take to help with my alopecia. She said I don't drink enough water. I need at least 70 ounces a day because of my 3-5 days a week exercise regimen.

I sent my hair in 3 weeks ago. I'm super nervous what my results will be. I'm really hoping I don't end up wanting to shave my head :sad:

I ordered mine April 30, sent my sample May 24 and got my results yesterday. I'm sure the holidays played into why mine took a bit longer but hopefully you'll get your results sooner.

She didn't say start over verbatim, but my hair is only 3-6 inches based on my sample (which is pretty accurate because I gave them my 9 months of new growth following cutting off bleach). She said to cut an inch or two then follow a strict 6-12 week trim schedule for a year to get rid of the rest of the damage. The only part of my hair that was healthy was the root.

I'm to wash with shampoo once a week and focus on keeping my crown clean since I have alopecia there. Do the protein treatments every 2 weeks to strengthen and help bring down porosity. She recommended their protein strengthener and the Califa line for day to day styling.

I could/can see SSK and some fraying of the ends when I sent the sample. But most of the damage she says it midshaft. One of the slide look like a little atomic bomb on my strands.

She did recommend some vitamins and dietary supplements I can take to help with my alopecia. She said I don't drink enough water. I need at least 70 ounces a day because of my 3-5 days a week exercise regimen.

I ordered mine April 30, sent my sample May 24 and got my results yesterday. I'm sure the holidays played into why mine took a bit longer but hopefully you'll get your results sooner.

B_Phlyy was your alopecia confirmed before the analysis or did they confirm it from your sample?

B_Phlyy

What supplements and vitamins did they recommend for your alopecia?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Maxi Hair by Country Life and L-Cysteine 1500mg with vitamin C, vitamin D3 2000iu twice a day and a complete B50 vitamin daily. She also recommended MSM and silica which I'm going to pass on because I've heard too many horror stories.

Maxi Hair by Country Life and L-Cysteine 1500mg with vitamin C, vitamin D3 2000iu twice a day and a complete B50 vitamin daily. She also recommended MSM and silica which I'm going to pass on because I've heard too many horror stories.

You don't need to be scared of bamboo silica. It has made my hair bulbs bigger. In addition, it doesn't cause massive shedding like MSM. I highly recommend Swanson's Bamboo Silica, it's affordable.

*KINDA LONG POST ALERT*

So the results are in:
- My hair is normal-to-high porosity. Was news to me because I always thought my hair was more normal-to-low porosity, or at least it behaved that way.
- Lots of dry, raised cuticles on my relaxed ends
- Co-cleansing isn't getting enough buildup off my scalp since quite a few bulbs in the sample were covered in buildup
- Some diminishing hair follicles were noticed on some bulbs [hair will start growing in thinner in diminishing follicles until it gets to a point that it stops growing]. I had a few bulbs where she anticipates those follicles may be dead from what the bulb was showing (no full white head on it; it tapered to a point and wasn't dark anymore, it was very light brown and translucent)
- Some strands showed damage but not mid-shaft splits necessarily. Just spots where the cuticles were worn away a lot and the hair will be breaking off at those points
- Hair is generally medium thickness (I think it was .076-.109) with finer hairs on my temples (most were around .050) [I'll check my write up and update if those numbers are wrong]
- She said my hair is generally healthy for the most part but the buildup was her biggest concern with me already having diminishing hair follicles

SUGGESTIONS
- Use shampoo more; I argued that shampoo dries my hair and scalp even with pre-pooing & diluting it with distilled water so she suggested at least using baby shampoo to get rid of the buildup. I'll figure out how to make this work.
- Use silicones to seal my moisture in (which I do already)
- Increase my protein treatments from 1X/month to 2X/month for the raised cuticles
- Use a strengthening/protecting/reinforcing leave in conditioner (pretty much a balanced or protein leave in)
- She liked the supplements I was taking (Super B Complex, Collagen, Women's Multivitamin) but recommended I cut down my Biotin dosage (currently 5000 mcg) or eliminate it and replace it with L-Cysteine or a Hair, Skin, Nails type of vitamin
- Recommended I grab their Pona Hair and Scalp Treatment to assist with removing buildup on my scalp and the Komaza Hair Lengthening Serum for my temples mostly

I hadn't realized how damaging co-washing could be. Wow. Does the same apply to actual cleansing conditioner, such as Wen?

Is Komaza suggesting that the shampoos we use be sulfate based or is sulfate free sufficient?

rileypak

Maybe, you can CWC. Co-Cleanse/Wash your hair, but clean your scalp with poo, and follow-up with Co-Cleanse/Washing the length again to get rid of any poo run off.

Thank you for sharing your results!

May I suggest taking bamboo silica. I could visibly see my hair bulbs get bigger after taking the capsules for about a month. I know that doesn't address the build up, but I think with pooing your scalp and taking a bamboo supplement that your hair bulbs will be juicilicious, :yep:

ETA: Also, I like the tea, but the Swanson capsules are more cost effective.

ETA2: If you order the Pona treatment, please let me know what it smells like.

Last edited:
I hadn't realized how damaging co-washing could be. Wow. Does the same apply to actual cleansing conditioner, such as Wen?

Is Komaza suggesting that the shampoos we use be sulfate based or is sulfate free sufficient?

I want to know the answer to this, too. Will someone with an upcoming phone consultation please find out?

ETA: I notice their Moja Shampoo is Sulfate Free, so they probably just don't recommend cleansing your scalp all the time via co washing, because the deposits of conditioning agents are smothering the follicles and causing build up.

Ingredients: Distilled Water,Decyl Glucoside, Polyglucose, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, CocoGlucose, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate Behentrimonium, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera, Guar Gum, Algae Extract, Quaternium 87, Polyquaternium 10, Ceramide, Allantoin, Honey Quat, Lethicin, Aloe Vera Oil, Jojoba Esters, Coconut Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Nettles, Horsetail, Geranium, Peppermint, Marshmallow, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B3, Pro Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Citric Acid, Phthalates-Free Vegetarian Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol.

Last edited:
I want to know the answer to this, too. Will someone with an upcoming phone consultation please find out?

ETA: I notice their Moja Shampoo is Sulfate Free, so they probably just don't recommend cleansing your scalp all the time via co washing, because the deposits of conditioning agents are smothering the follicles and causing build up.

Ingredients: Distilled Water,Decyl Glucoside, Polyglucose, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, CocoGlucose, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate Behentrimonium, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera, Guar Gum, Algae Extract, Quaternium 87, Polyquaternium 10, Ceramide, Allantoin, Honey Quat, Lethicin, Aloe Vera Oil, Jojoba Esters, Coconut Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Nettles, Horsetail, Geranium, Peppermint, Marshmallow, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B3, Pro Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Citric Acid, Phthalates-Free Vegetarian Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol.

MileHighDiva i did my analysis last year, and at that time i was using a sulfate shampoo (joico moisture recovery) 1-2 x a week. My scalp and bulb were in perfect condition. She was happy know i use shampoo regularly. However, because i had high porosity issues, and lots of raised cuticles she recommended i alternate with a milder shampoo.
Unfortunately i never found a sulfate free shampoo my hair likes. I still use a sulfate ( with SMS, allegedly milder than SLS) shampoo. I do alternate with as i am coconut cowash as much as i can. I never did a follow up, but i never felt a need for it, lol. Might do one anyways by year end.
All that to say they prefer a sulfate free, but if you have a good sulfate shampoo your hair likes, it gets a pass. They are more concerned about the health of your scalp and follicles.

MileHighDiva i did my analysis last year, and at that time i was using a sulfate shampoo (joico moisture recovery) 1-2 x a week. My scalp and bulb were in perfect condition. She was happy know i use shampoo regularly. However, because i had high porosity issues, and lots of raised cuticles she recommended i alternate with a milder shampoo.
Unfortunately i never found a sulfate free shampoo my hair likes. I still use a sulfate ( with SMS, allegedly milder than SLS) shampoo. I do alternate with as i am coconut cowash as much as i can. I never did a follow up, but i never felt a need for it, lol. Might do one anyways by year end.
All that to say they prefer a sulfate free, but if you have a good sulfate shampoo your hair likes, it gets a pass. They are more concerned about the health of your scalp and follicles.

ronie

Thank you for the clarification, regarding their thoughts on sulfate vs. sulfate free!

I really like how gentle SMS is. It's in SD Go Moist and the Eluence Moisturizing poo. I love Go Moist! I have to try the Eluence again, I think when I tried it, I was trying too many new things at the same time.

I love the AIA Coconut Co Wash and Cleansing Pudding, as well!

Have you tried the Keracare Sulfate Free 1st Lather and Hydrating Detangling Poo? They are Thabomb.com and available on the ground.

rileypak, i too had issues with raised cuticles. The shampoos i now used seem to be very mild, and do not cause me any breakage or dryness.
Silk dreams go moist and elucence moisture benefits are my staple cleansers. I shampoo once a week. I only use a co cleanser ( as i am coconut cowash mostly) if i wash twice in the week.
Other things i do:
Weekly mild to moderate protein (most times a reconstructor)
Heavy protein at least once every 4-6 weeks
Super duper heavy sealing
Moisturizers with heavy emollients
DCers with lots of oils and butters
Leave in and moisturizers with some type of hydrolyzed proteins or amino acids
But as someone asked earlier: where you having issues prior to finding all this out? Cause if not, i would recommend you ignore what i say and just keep doing what you were doing except for the cowashing of course. Good luck.

ronie

Thank you for the clarification, regarding their thoughts on sulfate vs. sulfate free!

I really like how gentle SMS is. It's in SD Go Moist and the Eluence Moisturizing poo. I love Go Moist! I have to try the Eluence again, I think when I tried it, I was trying too many new things at the same time.

I love the AIA Coconut Co Wash and Cleansing Pudding, as well!

Have you tried the Keracare Sulfate Free 1st Lather and Hydrating Detangling Poo? They are Thabomb.com and available on the ground.

Never used the first product, but the detangling poo was my first sulfate free shampoo. I loved it at first, but then my hair started getting very dry and hard after using it, so i stopped. That's when i turned to joico.

Theresamonet I use a co-cleanser that has a mild cleaning agent, it just wasn't enough for me. She recommended a sulfate shampoo because my follicle buildup was pretty bad on the bulbs it was on (on some you couldn't see the bulb at all, it was completely encased in buildup). But with me pushing back on the drying and tangling effects of sulfate (& some non-sulfate) shampoos on my hair and scalp, we agreed on the baby shampoo.

rileypak, i too had issues with raised cuticles. The shampoos i now used seem to be very mild, and do not cause me any breakage or dryness.
Silk dreams go moist and elucence moisture benefits are my staple cleansers. I shampoo once a week. I only use a co cleanser ( as i am coconut cowash mostly) if i wash twice in the week.
Other things i do:
Weekly mild to moderate protein (most times a reconstructor)
Heavy protein at least once every 4-6 weeks
Super duper heavy sealing
Moisturizers with heavy emollients
DCers with lots of oils and butters
Leave in and moisturizers with some type of hydrolyzed proteins or amino acids
But as someone asked earlier: where you having issues prior to finding all this out? Cause if not, i would recommend you ignore what i say and just keep doing what you were doing except for the cowashing of course. Good luck.

ronie I was having issues. Excessive dryness in my crown and some thinning in my temples that I knew wasn't caused by tension or mishandling.
I tried SD Go Moist before and didn't like it too much at the time. I will be trying out some poos to find one I can tolerate. Going to have to look up the Elucence one. Thanks for the advice!

rileypak

Maybe, you can CWC. Co-Cleanse/Wash your hair, but clean your scalp with poo, and follow-up with Co-Cleanse/Washing the length again to get rid of any poo run off.

Thank you for sharing your results!

May I suggest taking bamboo silica. I could visibly see my hair bulbs get bigger after taking the capsules for about a month. I know that doesn't address the build up, but I think with pooing your scalp and taking a bamboo supplement that your hair bulbs will be juicilicious, :yep:

ETA: Also, I like the tea, but the Swanson capsules are more cost effective.

ETA2: If you order the Pona treatment, please let me know what it smells like.

MileHighDiva the CWC sounds like it would be much more agreeable to my hair. I'm going to take care of the buildup first then try incorporating CWC.
I was drinking the bamboo tea but fell off after February. I'll grab the pills and take those instead.
I will be getting the Pona Hair Treatment to try out so I'll definitely review it when I can. Thanks for the advice!

MileHighDiva the CWC sounds like it would be much more agreeable to my hair. I'm going to take care of the buildup first then try incorporating CWC.
I was drinking the bamboo tea but fell off after February. I'll grab the pills and take those instead.
I will be getting the Pona Hair Treatment to try out so I'll definitely review it when I can. Thanks for the advice!

You can definitely overcome the bulb issue. I had issues with my bulbs and she wasn't sure I would recover. However after my follow up she was amazed at how my hair recovered. I wasn't. I knew it would work but she had never seem it before.

So be encouraged. You can reverse whatever is happening.

Back