Just argued with my mom on biracial hair (care)

bkprincesa

Sooo I was just at the mall with my mother and we got into a heated discussion. My older brother is getting ready to get married to a White woman, and we were speculating on what their kids would look like. Out of nowhere, my mother says "I think they're gonna have bad hair. I just know it." I look at her like :rolleyes:... And I ask why she thinks this.

She goes on to inform me that (in her past experiences) she's encountered biracial children with "bad" hair. I asked her to elaborate on her idea of what embodies "bad" hair. All she could come up with was nappy-looking and wild.

I reminded my mother that her own brother married a white woman years ago and their two children didn't fit her stereotype of biracial children having "bad" hair. They both have an obvious curl pattern of a looser texture than typical AA Hair--I'm guessing 3a or 3b. I do recall the older of the two girls having really frizzy hair when we were growing up but now that I've become educated on the importance of moisture thanks to LHCF, I would bet money on the frizziness being caused by lack of moisture.

Perhaps their mother didn't add anything to their hair to keep it moisturized or to define the curls after shampooing and conditioning. Perhaps she didn't use the proper tools to detangle the hair. Since her hair is straight, she may not have known that there are extra steps needed to properly care for the curly hair that her children had. As I explained this to my mother she still had a skeptical look on her face as if she wasn't buying any of it.

When I asked my mother if the biracial children she had seen with this "bad hair" before had white mothers, she got quiet. Aha! It makes sense that some biracial children walk around with their hair in poor condition. Their mothers lack the knowledge needed to properly care for it! Of course their hair is going to look frizzy, dry and disheveled when its dehydrated and wrongfully manipulated.

My mother declared that her grandchildren would not look like that. I asked how she intended to prevent them from looking that way when their mother probably has no clue how to care for their hair (I know it's a generalization, but I am kind of close to my brother's fiancee and she really IS one of those White girls who has no clue lol). My mother said stubbornly that the kids can't come to her house looking that way.

We got into parenting skills and all that, specifically in reference to my mother thinking that she will consider their parenting skills poor if they can't take good care if their kids' hair. (Which led me to a new revelation that I will reveal in another thread.) My mother seemed to think that she could totally take charge and do whatever she wanted to the minute my brother places the children in her care.

I tried to explain to her that, though that may have worked when she was raising me and my brother (my grandmother, aunts and even a cousin had free reign over the care of my hair), times have definitely changed. Parents are way more particular about their children's appearance and the way they put their children together each day, so my mother's alterations may be seen as an attack on/a challenging of their parenting skills. I told her that it wouldn't be her place to just do whatever she wanted to their hair without the parents' permission first. So she asked "if I don't have a say at all, then what is the point of being a grandparent?" I just shook my head....Is the state of her grandchildren's hair really the only thing she can see herself playing an important role in?? What about giving them love and support, showing them discipline and instilling manners and principles in them wherever their parents forget to? Sheesh.

I don't believe in good hair/bad hair regardless of mixed race or hair texture.

BUT, being that your future SIL is white I can understand some of where your mother is coming from in that a white woman may not know how to do the kids hair and make it look decent. Many grandmothers do comb the kids hair. And many granny's provide care to grandkids as though the kids are her own even if the kids don't live with her.

You should know that once you get married and have kids your mother and MIL will expect to have some say on how their grands are raised. You don't have to agree or do what they suggest/say but they will say something. And when the kids are with them they will do things their way and not yours. That's just the way it has always been and the way it will continue to be. It's nothing to get mad or argue over. It's their way of showing they care.

BTW....I'm sure your mother will provide support, love and all of that. But there is nothing wrong with her being concerned about the kids appearance as far as making sure their hair is combed and looks nice, making sure they are clean, well-behaved, etc.

Last edited:
Well the decision is up to your brother and whom he chooses to marry whether your mom can do their hair. It's nice though that you are concerned with the future of your brother's children, I just hope hair is not the main concern, lol.

well i have actually ran into biracial children with 4b/4z hair and not because it wasnt taken care of. just because they got their genes from the wrong side of the family.
although, i find that very rare because about 90% of other biracial children I saw had very pretty,curly hair.

well i have actually ran into biracial children with 4b/4z hair and not because it wasnt taken care of. just because they got their genes from the wrong side of the family.
although, i find that very rare because about 90% of other biracial children I saw had very pretty,curly hair.

I wasn't even aware there was a "right" side???

I'm not saying this is the case with your mom, but a lot of black women don't like it when black guys marry white women. But usually biracial (or multiracial) kids have a looser curl pattern whether or not it's mega frizzy.

autumnlesson, that is exactly the op's point. There is no such things as getting genes from the "wrong side of the family" nor is it important or relevant that "90% of biracial children that you saw had pretty curly hair" This is exactly the type of thinking that perpetuates self hatred in our youth. It begins with us to embrace all hair types as beautiful regardless of curl pattern or curl definition.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE PICS

Btw OP I understand you frustration bc surely being a grand-parent boils down to more than just hair texture and "good hair".

FTR I have bi-racial nieces, nephews and cousins (and not just black/white). My nephew has a big fro which IMO his mother takes good care of despite him being that age where hair cuts are a real nightmare. I suppose it helps that she worked as a beautician when she was younger but I think it just boils down to her habits as a mother even though they live in Australia and black hair products are hard to come-by. He is always well turned out and he is a 4a. I just believe that in ANY situation its down to the parents (not just the mother). My brother does his hair-cuts and even at a young age is introducing him to "grooming".

Last edited:
well i think that if someone has prettier hair than someone else, then they just do. whats pretty in my eyes may not be pretty in the next person eyes. pretty in my eyes is thick,curly,loose,or wavy in the natural state. pretty in someone else eyes may be coily,kinky,tight, afro hair with a z pattern. and in my opinion it is such things from getting genes from the WRONG side of the family. i know quite a few black women with bad hair. even with all the moisture, and proper care. and if i cant find anything BEAUTIFUL about it, then in my eyes its NOT beautiful. If i had the choice of picking, I would choose biracial hair.Its my opinion geez.

Last edited:
Okay you are entitled to your opinion but judging from what I can see above it only holds so much weight in my mind. Top of the evening to you.

Tis all

staying on my good karma , peace and good will to all men kick.....:lol:

Okay so continuing with the discussion and not fanning the flames. I think its rather unfortunate that OP your mum is so focussed on your future N&N's hair when surely the joy of having new little people would out-weigh that?

Thank you for your post. I think you misunderstood my message though. I wasn't trying to communicate that I believe in "good" or "bad" hair. I was telling a story of how my MOTHER randomly predicted that my brother's kids are going to have "bad" hair because they're going to be mixed. Besides implying that their hair will look "bad" because their mother won't know what to do with it, she was also saying that she thinks their natural texture will just be a "bad one."

I wasn't saying that my mother shouldn't be able to have a say in the matter either. I was trying to prepare her for the fact that my brother (and sister-in-law) may become upset if she just decides, without asking them first, to start doing whatever she pleases wit the grandkids' hair. I even acknowledged that I know it was still accepted when I was growing up, but times are changing. Not for everyone, and not everywhere, but they are changing.

I am aware that grandmothers comb their grandchildren's hair. My grandmother fixed my hair for many years whenever she watched me for my mom and she did a fine job. I was saying that my brother and his wife may not LIKE her just coming in and doing something new to the child's hair without consulting them first. I know how my brother is, I'm the same way. I don't like people changing things (of mine) without my permission. Even now I'm still mad at my mom for relaxing my hair when I was five without giving me an option. She was my mother, yes, and she was the one doing my hair, but it was my hair.

I don't believe in good hair/bad hair regardless of mixed race or hair texture.

BUT, being that your future SIL is white I can understand some of where your mother is coming from in that a white woman may not know how to do the kids hair and make it look decent. Many grandmothers do comb the kids hair. And many granny's provide care to grandkids as though the kids are her own even if the kids don't live with her.

You should know that once you get married and have kids your mother and MIL will expect to have some say on how their grands are raised. You don't have to agree or do what they suggest/say but they will say something. And when the kids are with them they will do things their way and not yours. That's just the way it has always been and the way it will continue to be. It's nothing to get mad or argue over. It's their way of showing they care.

BTW....I'm sure your mother will provide support, love and all of that. But there is nothing wrong with her being concerned about the kids appearance as far as making sure their hair is combed and looks nice, making sure they are clean, well-behaved, etc.

Khittykhat:
Oh yeah lol I know a lot of black women don't like it when Black guys marry white women but that's not the case with my mom. Her parents were both mixed, she gets along fine with my uncle's wife of 22 years who is white, and she was fine with me dating a white boy when I was in high school. She doesn't object the marriage at all. My post was about her randomly predicting that my future nieces and nephews are going to have "nappy hair" because their mother is white based on her own stereotype.

I'm not saying this is the case with your mom, but a lot of black women don't like it when black guys marry white women. But usually biracial (or multiracial) kids have a looser curl pattern whether or not it's mega frizzy.

First off Positively Radiant I just wanna say... You're AWESOME. Thank you for your posts on my thread.

Secondly, unfortunately my mom is HAIR-OBSESSED. That isn't even the phrase to describe it. Image means everything to her, even if it's not even her image we're talking about. I guess she thinks the grandkids will somehow be a representation of her, and if their hair looks jacked (which she is convinced it will),then they won't be "representin."

QUOTE=PositivelyRadiant;10479948]Okay so continuing with the discussion and not fanning the flames. I think its rather unfortunate that OP your mum is so focussed on your future N&N's hair when surely the joy of having new little people would out-weigh that?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your post. I think you misunderstood my message though. I wasn't trying to communicate that I believe in "good" or "bad" hair. I was telling a story of how my MOTHER randomly predicted that my brother's kids are going to have "bad" hair because they're going to be mixed. Besides implying that their hair will look "bad" because their mother won't know what to do with it, she was also saying that she thinks their natural texture will just be a "bad one."

I wasn't saying that my mother shouldn't be able to have a say in the matter either. I was trying to prepare her for the fact that my brother (and sister-in-law) may become upset if she just decides, without asking them first, to start doing whatever she pleases wit the grandkids' hair. I even acknowledged that I know it was still accepted when I was growing up, but times are changing. Not for everyone, and not everywhere, but they are changing.

I am aware that grandmothers comb their grandchildren's hair. My grandmother fixed my hair for many years whenever she watched me for my mom and she did a fine job. I was saying that my brother and his wife may not LIKE her just coming in and doing something new to the child's hair without consulting them first. I know how my brother is, I'm the same way. I don't like people changing things (of mine) without my permission. Even now I'm still mad at my mom for relaxing my hair when I was five without giving me an option. She was my mother, yes, and she was the one doing my hair, but it was my hair.
True, they may not like her changing the kids hair without their permission if that is what she is planning to do. But your SIL may also welcome some advice on hair care.

Based off of your post I got the impression your mother was more concerned with the fact the white SIL may not know what to do with the hair regardless of texture.

Also, I believe your mother is concerned with providing love, support, nuturing and being a good granny. But I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I don't know her like you do.

First off Positively Radiant I just wanna say... You're AWESOME. Thank you for your posts on my thread.

Secondly, unfortunately my mom is HAIR-OBSESSED. That isn't even the phrase to describe it. Image means everything to her, even if it's not even her image we're talking about. I guess she thinks the grandkids will somehow be a representation of her, and if their hair looks jacked (which she is convinced it will),then they won't be "representin."

QUOTE=PositivelyRadiant;10479948]Okay so continuing with the discussion and not fanning the flames. I think its rather unfortunate that OP your mum is so focussed on your future N&N's hair when surely the joy of having new little people would out-weigh that?
[/QUOTE]

Awww thank-you :hug2:

blkprincesa - My mum was a little like this and I had to sit her down and say that her comments were hurtful to my sister in-law. She stopped. The fact is children will be children and when I see my nephew with his hair as in pic 2 it doesn't bother me in the least bc his parents are happy to let him be a child and swim and look a little worse for wear at the beach.

I believe children deserve this privilege of not being made to feel uncomfortable so young. I am sure my nephew does not even know that his naps are diff from his little gf's at this age and he doesn't much care. He has the rest of his adult life to afford him that vanity.

I also know where you are coming from. Its a primal instinct that we expect our gchildren to represent us. I think your mum is saying something completely different when she talks of their hair being nappy. I think she is saying I have worked so hard to fight my naps I do not want someone who doesn't understand the significance of hair in our culture showing us up. Hence her belief that she can charge in with the combs and grease. Unfortunately sometimes we have to let things play their course and eggs have to be broken to make an omlette.

This is the nature and beauty of human relationships. Conflict is neither good or bad it just sets the boundaries.

I hope your mom doesn't overstep her bondaries. There are ways of suggesting things without being pushy and making someone feel uncomfortable.

I do understand where she's coming from, though. Where I live there are alot of biracial children with white mothers. I can honestly say I have yet to see one with proper moisture. My mother in law is white with SUPER fine, straight hair. She told me when she met me that she has NO CLUE what to do with my sister in laws hair. She was a hot mess with unnecessary perms that damaged her hair to no end. But that's all my father in law knew. You want it straight, get a perm. The neighborhood is 99.9% white (no joke, my FIL is the only black person I've seen there) so they had no clue what to do either . My MIL kept my SIL's hair chopped to about 2 in of hair until she turned about 12 because that's all she could think to do :nono: I did her hair and gave her protein treatments (BEFORE learning about proper hair care, go figure) and blew her hair out every 2 weeks (she likes it straight). She now knows how to do her own hair and it is now BSL :grin: She thanked me for teaching her how to do her natural hair. But I can say that I've also seen Black women with biracial children that had wild hair. It's a foreign texture so I can understand why you wouldn't know what to do. It's curly but you cant use grease(I know it's a no-no now but I' sure most don't). You wash and condition it everyday but it's still super dry.

But there are also some white moms that take FABULOUS care of their daughters hair. My daughter is only a 1/4 white but her hair is SUPER fine like my MIL. I'd say she's a fine 3b like my DH's hair mostly is. (My SIL is a 3c I think. She's adopted so she has a different texture than DH and my BIL. She' mullato as well.)It was dry to no end and I had no clue how to keep moisture in her hair. I knew she needed moisture and I condition/ed it every day but it would frizz out to no end. I tried mousse, gel and just conditioner. Nothing worked. I was at a loss because this was a texture I had never dealt with before. It was a white mom with biracial children that suggested Redken ringlet curl perfector 07 to me and it is a GODSEND!!! My daughter's curls are AMAZING with this stuff and I couldn't thank her enough. I also use the curl defrizz and since coming to LHCF I learned the back of my DD head needs just a bit of oil to seal in the moisture (Not the front though, it'll get greasy)

This mom children's hair ALWAYS looks amazing. So there are some white moms out there that know what to do with their children's hair. I believe she took the time out to look for products that work because she knows about alot of the biracial hair care products (Blended Beauty, Mixed Chicks)

The thing is your future SIL will most likely come to you with her concerns. Since moving out here to MN I get asked ALL THE TIME by white moms of biracial children what to do with their hair. If your mom just takes a step back I'm pretty sure she'll come to you. I'd tell you to suggest the Redken line. It really is amazing LOL

Sorry for the novel :look:

Last edited:
"Awww thank-you :hug2:

blkprincesa - My mum was a little like this and I had to sit her down and say that her comments were hurtful to my sister in-law. She stopped. The fact is children will be children and when I see my nephew with his hair as in pic 2 it doesn't bother me in the least bc his parents are happy to let him be a child and swim and look a little worse for wear at the beach.

I believe children deserve this privilege of not being made to feel uncomfortable so young. I am sure my nephew does not even know that his naps are diff from his little gf's at this age and he doesn't much care. He has the rest of his adult life to afford him that vanity.

I also know where you are coming from. Its a primal instinct that we expect our gchildren to represent us. I think your mum is saying something completely different when she talks of their hair being nappy. I think she is saying I have worked so hard to fight my naps I do not want someone who doesn't understand the significance of hair in our culture showing us up. Hence her belief that she can charge in with the combs and grease. Unfortunately sometimes we have to let things play their course and eggs have to be broken to make an omlette.

This is the nature and beauty of human relationships. Conflict is neither good or bad it just sets the boundaries.[/QUOTE]

You just blew me away....That was such a great analyzation and I think you're right on the money about my mom. She better get over it!!!

Hey Gaia's Daughter!
Thank you for posting. It's okay that you wrote a lot. I LIKE that. I love details and your story was full of them so that's great. Btw your daughter is too cute, and I know hair-wise she's in good hands because now her mom is part of a generation who is becoming better-educated on how to care for her natural hair.

Btw I wanted to congratulate you on your recent big chop = ) Mine is coming up in a few months. Wish me luck!!!

I hope your mom doesn't overstep her bondaries. There are ways of suggesting things without being pushy and making someone feel uncomfortable.

I do understand where she's coming from, though. Where I live there are alot of biracial children with white mothers. I can honestly say I have yet to see one with proper moisture. My mother in law is white with SUPER fine, straight hair. She told me when she met me that she has NO CLUE what to do with my sister in laws hair. She was a hot mess with unnecessary perms that damaged her hair to no end. But that's all my father in law knew. You want it straight, get a perm. The neighborhood is 99.9% white (no joke, my FIL is the only black person I've seen there) so they had no clue what to do either . My MIL kept my SIL's hair chopped to about 2 in of hair until she turned about 12 because that's all she could think to do :nono: I did her hair and gave her protein treatments (BEFORE learning about proper hair care, go figure) and blew her hair out every 2 weeks (she likes it straight). She now knows how to do her own hair and it is now BSL :grin: She thanked me for teaching her how to do her natural hair. But I can say that I've also seen Black women with biracial children that had wild hair. It's a foreign texture so I can understand why you wouldn't know what to do. It's curly but you cant use grease(I know it's a no-no now but I' sure most don't). You wash and condition it everyday but it's still super dry.

But there are also some white moms that take FABULOUS care of their daughters hair. My daughter is only a 1/4 white but her hair is SUPER fine like my MIL. I'd say she's a fine 3b like my DH's hair mostly is. (My SIL is a 3c I think. She's adopted so she has a different texture than DH and my BIL. She' mullato as well.)It was dry to no end and I had no clue how to keep moisture in her hair. I knew she needed moisture and I condition/ed it every day but it would frizz out to no end. I tried mousse, gel and just conditioner. Nothing worked. I was at a loss because this was a texture I had never dealt with before. It was a white mom with biracial children that suggested Redken ringlet curl perfector 07 to me and it is a GODSEND!!! My daughter's curls are AMAZING with this stuff and I couldn't thank her enough. I also use the curl defrizz and since coming to LHCF I learned the back of my DD head needs just a bit of oil to seal in the moisture (Not the front though, it'll get greasy)

This mom children's hair ALWAYS looks amazing. So there are some white moms out there that know what to do with their children's hair. I believe she took the time out to look for products that work because she knows about alot of the biracial hair care products (Blended Beauty, Mixed Chicks)

The thing is your future SIL will most likely come to you with her concerns. Since moving out here to MN I get asked ALL THE TIME by white moms of biracial children what to do with their hair. If your mom just takes a step back I'm pretty sure she'll come to you. I'd tell you to suggest the Redken line. It really is amazing LOL

Sorry for the novel :look:

Maybe your mom's future grandkids will get hair
like my biracial children
they have type one hair all I have to do is well nothing :rofl:

Attachments

• Devon.jpg
    Devon.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Devon1.jpg
    Devon1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Reese1.jpg
    Reese1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Reese.jpg
    Reese.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 35
What DD's hair looks like when she wakes in the morning

DamaandP.jpg

damaandp2.jpg

And when I do her hair. I LOVE Redken for her and DH!

p.jpg

And my SIL after 2 yrs of hair care. I love her curls but she's now damaged them with over doing the heat :sad:

PandNia.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Gaia's Daughter!
Thank you for posting. It's okay that you wrote a lot. I LIKE that. I love details and your story was full of them so that's great. Btw your daughter is too cute, and I know hair-wise she's in good hands because now her mom is part of a generation who is becoming better-educated on how to care for her natural hair.

Btw I wanted to congratulate you on your recent big chop = ) Mine is coming up in a few months. Wish me luck!!!

Thank you!!! I love my little firecracker . I'm lovin' my natural hair too. I wish you ALL the luck with yours!!!

My little cousins are biracial and the boy just get his hair cut short to the scalp. The girl has a mix of 2 & 3 type hair. Now, did your mom mean "bad hair" because it's going to be difficult working with various hair textures or "bad" meaning the traditional meaning.

My grandma had a bunch of daughters during the hot comb days. I think by the time I came, her hair doing days were over. :laugh:

You're Hubby looks kind of like my SO lol. So handsome. Get it girl = )

What DD's hair looks like when she wakes in the morning

DamaandP.jpg

damaandp2.jpg

And when I do her hair. I LOVE Redken for her and DH!

p.jpg

And my SIL after 2 yrs of hair care. I love her curls but she's now damaged them with over doing the heat :sad:

PandNia.jpg

[She meant 'bad' in the traditional meaning AND in terms of how difficult it will be working with the natural texture of hair.

QUOTE=Lady Speedstick;10480828]My little cousins are biracial and the boy just get his hair cut short to the scalp. The girl has a mix of 2 & 3 type hair. Now, did your mom mean "bad hair" because it's going to be difficult working with various hair textures or "bad" meaning the traditional meaning.

My grandma had a bunch of daughters during the hot comb days. I think by the time I came, her hair doing days were over. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

well i think that if someone has prettier hair than someone else, then they just do. whats pretty in my eyes may not be pretty in the next person eyes. pretty in my eyes is thick,curly,loose,or wavy in the natural state. pretty in someone else eyes may be coily,kinky,tight, afro hair with a z pattern. and in my opinion it is such things from getting genes from the WRONG side of the family. i know quite a few black women with bad hair. even with all the moisture, and proper care. and if i cant find anything BEAUTIFUL about it, then in my eyes its NOT beautiful. If i had the choice of picking, I would choose biracial hair.Its my opinion geez.

:rolleyes:Oh you....Keep trollin:lachen:

The "wrong" side of the family? What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?:realitycheck:

See, it's this kind of mentality and comment that makes the prettiest of African American/Black/African girls feel as though they aren't pretty when chances are high that they ARE.

Wrong side, my @$$!

Geez.......

*Dropping the mic and walking off*

Back