June 2016: Hits & Misses

I need to revisit the iffy stuff and determine once and for all what to keep and what to toss.

When my stash of conditioners is done (hopefully this year lol) I'm going to revisit some brands that I found iffy. I know I tried them and thought enough about them to write them down but didn't repurchase so I'll try a thing or two from each and see how they do.

Revisited Hit
Oyin's Honey Hemp Conditioner- I :love: the smell, consistency, and the performance. My hair is extremely moisturized with this product and the curls are popping. I use this as a cowash conditioner. I signed up for a Target subscription for this so I'm set. I get a new bottle every 4 weeks.

I'm thinking about purchasing a liter and using this subscription as a back up for in between liters. I should have come up with this plan when they had 20% off. 20% off is rare for Oyin. We'll see what happens the rest of the year.

Miss:
Komaza bountiful mane. I bought this 2 months ago and I loved it. It worked great to keep my scalp happy and it also smelled nice so I could apply it at anytime with no worries. I just got a new batch the bottle is now different, the color of the product is completely different and it stinks! I understand consistency can be slightly different but this is way too much change for me. :confused: I sent them an email but I have a feeling I won't be buying this product again. The one on the left is the new one.

IMG_20160605_020647.jpg

Hit:
Bathtub drain. Just seeing the amount of hair collected on top of the drain was sad and relieving at the same time. When you don't see hair fall down the drain until you have to snake it out, it doesn't seem real. It's disgusting! :look:

Bekura YAM. I used it on top of another conditioner and it was like butter. I tried to keep as little water from getting in the jar as possible because I see how it creams up on contact (typical honey behavior). I want to say I used barely a couple teaspoons in total, probably less. It's smoothed out well on my hair and made the rest of finger detangling easier.

Hit and Miss:
SSI Honey Conditioner. It's not bad. It goes on well and I was able to detangle well. What I didnt care for was the texture. It's more on the watery side considering honey is the 4th ingredient. With that being said, I had to use almost half the bottle. That's not cost effective. Even on a discount. I don't prepoo, or cowash, so it's a no go for me.

Continued Miss:

Shea moisture JBCO line.
3strikes.jpg

I can't, I just can't...

I remember being excited about this new line. Tried it once and gave it right to my co-workers. Might have been the last SM products I used.

Anyway, continud hits for me are Sodium Bentonite Clay wAVJ, Kinky Curly Knot Today and Curling Custard. Never a bad hair day w/these.

MISS:
Not being able to get SSI's Banana Brule.

Can someone please tell me when/if this is discontinued?

Thank you.
I sent them an email back in March about it.

"Hi,
Good morning. We have temporarily discontinued the Banana Brulee. A major ingredient we use to make it is no longer available to us. Until we can find a supplier it will remain out of stock or we may have to reformulate.

Sincerely,
Shescentit Customer Service"

I sent them an email back in March about it.

"Hi,
Good morning. We have temporarily discontinued the Banana Brulee. A major ingredient we use to make it is no longer available to us. Until we can find a supplier it will remain out of stock or we may have to reformulate.

Sincerely,
Shescentit Customer Service"

See, it's stuff like this that gives me PJ trust issues. *opens the fridge to lovingly gaze upon the 8 16oz jars being stored in there*

Staple hits:

Coconut and/or olive oil mixed with condish for pre-poo

Neem oil on scalp pre-poo for shedding.

Resdicovered Hits:

Keracare Humecto
TIGI Dumb blonde reconstructor
Silicone serum for wet sets

New hits:
Peppermint oil: in my pre poo makes my hair notably smoother and shinier.

Flexi-rods sets with the jumbo rods. Sooo much faster than rollers.

Hit:
- Prompt response from Puff Cuff stating they will correct my order and provide a tracking notice when shipped.
- Short wash days with deep conditioning in the shower.
- My natural hair loving just about anything I put on it.

Miss:
- Being unwilling to part with my relaxed ends until I have enough hair for a bob. I'm determined but they won't let me be great, thus their run may be coming to an end soon.

See, it's stuff like this that gives me PJ trust issues. *opens the fridge to lovingly gaze upon the 8 16oz jars being stored in there*
This is how I became a PJ. #1-I never wanted to run out of my favorite products #2-I started finding products that were essentially the same (consistency, performance, met the same need) from different vendors in case of reformulations, companies closing, discontinuing of products, etc.

This is how I became a PJ. #1-I never wanted to run out of my favorite products #2-I started finding products that were essentially the same (consistency, performance, met the same need) from different vendors in case of reformulations, companies closing, discontinuing of products, etc.

Reformulations and discontinuances make me paranoid enough to buy 10 or so of a given item. I don't think merchants realize how big of an impact they have on a person.

On the fence: SheScentIt Sugar Peach Conditioner
It was just meh. My hair needs products formulated as masques, not conditioners that can be used as such.

I might try it as a leave in.

I feel the same. I initially liked it, but by Thursday my hair was dry. I'm going to try it with the Bekura YAM. I did not like the Honey Conditioner at all. Don't get me wrong, I liked the peach, but it's not as good as a masque. Maybe good for a cowash and finger detangling.

I feel the same. I initially liked it, but by Thursday my hair was dry. I'm going to try it with the Bekura YAM. I did not like the Honey Conditioner at all. Don't get me wrong, I liked the peach, but it's not as good as a masque. Maybe good for a cowash and finger detangling.

Yeah I tend to only cowash with conditioners that have cocaminopropyl betaine and my hair laughs at finger detangling lol...
So unless I decide to use it as a prepoo, which it doesn't have enough slip for that, I can foresee these going on the swap boards because it was an impulse buy and I didn't need them anyway.

Now when it comes to Annabelle's or even some Shea Moisture, not needed them is never the case :lachen:.

Back