June 2016: Hits & Misses

HIT

My Komaza Care package arrived today, @IDareT'sHair you weren't kidding they're :roadrunner:

Pros:
- Super Fast Shipping!! Order was placed on 5/30 at noon, shipped all the way from Cali and was at my door by 11:30 today. A NHC company that ships coast to coast in 3 days, unheard of. I can't even get stuff from local businesses that fast. Koodos to Komaza Care and the USPS

- Received all my items, nothing missing, no switcheroo

- Packaging was on point, clean, neat, nothing spilled

- Like the scents (initial impression)

- Bountiful Mane scent not as bad as I feared, you can smell the MSM but it's not offensive. Also it's in a clear bottle so thats a plus.

- The fill levels are high, for the most part

- Decent sale 20% off + tax free + free shipping = :)

MISS

Cons:
- No free sample. I was hoping for a Califia sample, already planning my BF list and a sample could've helped me decide what to get from Komaza Care

- Poor fill level on one product, the Scalp Moisture Therapy . :( I like my products FILLED UP especially when they're only 4oz to begin with.

I wish Oyin would release a Sugar Berries or a unscented version of the Hair Dew. I love how it performs but I can't tolerated that fragrance. It reminds me of maple syrup.

It's so funny how one person can love a scent and another hates it. I LOVE the Burnt Sugar scent.....I put the pomade on my body just so I can smell it when I'm not using Hair Dew...lol

I've looked at this leave in for a loooooong time and have debated purchasing it. The ingredients are right up my alley.

I love it. Oyin Hair Dew just couldn't do it for me. The only time I could use it was if i sealed it with Burnt Sugar Pomade. Which means I couldnt use it on straightened or loose hair. Honey Latte is great regardless. Imparts sheen, softens, I can detangle with it. And it doesnt cause my straightened hair to revert, which is a huge deal

I love it. Oyin Hair Dew just couldn't do it for me. The only time I could use it was if i sealed it with Burnt Sugar Pomade. Which means I couldnt use it on straightened or loose hair. Honey Latte is great regardless. Imparts sheen, softens, I can detangle with it. And it doesnt cause my straightened hair to revert, which is a huge deal
Okay this is good to hear. I never straighten my hair so I wouldn't need it for that, but I'm still on the search for a good, detangling leave in. Oyin Hair Dew is great on dry hair as a refresher for me but not as a leave in.

isnt it protein? I steer away from 99% of SM due to the coconut and high sheabutter. So far I like the Superfruit but the smell is strong! The High porosity masque is good. I LOVE the low porosity leave in conditioner, the purification mask, and the souffle for the coconut hibiscus.

I'll try the sacha as a protein treatment soon
I wanted to ask you about that. How does mixing the high and lo porosity products work for you? I am sensitive to coconut and shea butter also. I have some of the sacha products but have yet to try them.

I wanted to ask you about that. How does mixing the high and lo porosity products work for you? I am sensitive to coconut and shea butter also. I have some of the sacha products but have yet to try them.

I used that deep conditioner and my hair was soft but you know what happened, it sealed my hair SHUT. It literally locked the moisture in my hair and when I went to refresh my hair wouldn't accept the additional moisture until I washed my hair again. It can be a good thing with that but I like to refresh my hair every night.

My hair is low porosity but its colored so at times it acts high porosity. That low porosity leave in conditioner is all that. I'm waiting for the right sale to pick up 10 bottles at least.

I wont buy anything from the Hipo line but the deep conditioner.

@MilkChocolateOne

Oyin messaged me back about the fragrances

oyin handmade replied:
Hi beautiful!

Thanks for contacting Oyin Handmade! Unscented Hair Dew is a request that we at times get from our honeys. Unfortunately, in our testing we've found that those lovely natural ingredients give great moisture but do not have the most appetizing natural scent.

additionally, some customers have chosen to add an essential oil to their product to 'cut' the fragrance. . . of course then one must worry about the scent you choose mixing well with the scent of the product; if you'd like to try this we'd definitely suggest separating out a dollop at a time and trying just a drop or two of the essential or fragrance oil of your choice until you arrive at something that is pleasing to you.

isnt it protein? I steer away from 99% of SM due to the coconut and high sheabutter. So far I like the Superfruit but the smell is strong! The High porosity masque is good. I LOVE the low porosity leave in conditioner, the purification mask, and the souffle for the coconut hibiscus.

I'll try the sacha as a protein treatment soon

I was hesitant as well. My hair only responds to keratin and silk but since being natural it's not really tolerant to anything. I used the Sacha Inchi and it was really good. The scent was a bit much but it was really effective and worked well. I also found it softening, not strengthening.

It's definitely worth a try

@AgeinATL in here start trouble but I totally cosign. @flyygirlll2 I felt the same way about the SM masques because only the PM worked. They did something recently and now the masques are fantastic. They use to sit on my hair as well, but now it's like they just work. I saw people raving about them like "how" but I took a chance with the HP masque and my faith has been renewed (can't restore what didn't exist lol). So far, I'm a junkie with the JBCO, HP, SI and I have yet to try the SFC. The consistency is good, not to thick and not to thin, but I can really only get 3.5 uses outta one jar. So it's not bad, but you can still find yourself using a bit.

JBCO doesn't have enough peppermint for me, I hate the smell of HP period, SI has an old lady/grandma smell to it and SFC seems to have a pleasant smell. Just try one. Just one. So we can all be a cult together. :circle:

Hits: Oyin Handmade keeping my hair alive through this vacation.

Miss: Letting the salon touch my hair because I was lazy.
Went to a salon in Baltimore, got deep conditioning treatments and flat twists installed. She raked through my hair to detangle in a 'trying to be gentle, but your hair is thick and I'm not used to it- kind of way', and she didn't use any products when she flat twisted it. Lucky my ends were free so I moisturized daily with Hair Dew and spritzed Juices N Berries on the rest of it.

She meant well but I know I need to trim again after that. Thank god henna's waiting for me when I get back to slow some of this damage.

Supa Hit: OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector

I use this to cover my kitchen sink drain opening when I'm rinsing out my henna treatments. Keeps my hair from going down the drain while rinsing. I love this thing!
51+TUFzfOvL._AC_US160_.jpg

Supa Dupa Hit: OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up Drains

Does your tub have an outie for a belly-button? If so, run to Amazon.com, or Bed Bath and Beyond and buy one of these!
410qnSLYkmL._AC_US160_.jpg

This drain cover accommodates outies and its weighted, so it will not float off in the water like those white things. I have been using this since Thanksgiving and I'm telling that I have not had to use a Zip It since, :yep:

Hits: Oyin Handmade keeping my hair alive through this vacation.

Miss: Letting the salon touch my hair because I was lazy.
Went to a salon in Baltimore, got deep conditioning treatments and flat twists installed. She raked through my hair to detangle in a 'trying to be gentle, but your hair is thick and I'm not used to it- kind of way', and she didn't use any products when she flat twisted it. Lucky my ends were free so I moisturized daily with Hair Dew and spritzed Juices N Berries on the rest of it.

She meant well but I know I need to trim again after that. Thank god henna's waiting for me when I get back to slow some of this damage.
That sounds terrible! I'm sorry that happened to you :bighug:

Did you get your silk scrunchies?

Cont'd HIT:

Henna and Indigo for hair coloring
Aloe Vera Juice /Oil/Conditioner mix for detangling
Detangling my conditioner drenched hair in the shower

No new misses at the moment.

Last edited:
Continued Miss:

Shea moisture JBCO line.
3strikes.jpg

I can't, I just can't. I want to love this line. I really do but my hair hates this ****. The rinse out, masque and styling lotion has my hair like
hqdefault.jpg

I like the Shampoo and though the leave in is useless as a leave-in on my hair it's a pretty decent refresher. Also unlike most yt reviewers I actually like the fragrance. It smells like a bag of marshmallows recovered from a grocery store after a fire imo. Not a toasted marshmallow fragrance but more like a smoke + marshmallow scent if that makes sense. But my hair cannot abide the conditioners and that's a deal breaker. I'm guessing its due to all the protein because after using these products my hair feels dry, hard and brittle for dayzz. I had to cowash and DC twice in two days just to get my hair back to feeling like its "normal" dry, hard and brittle self.

I am done with this line and I've passed on all the products on to my mom. I now have three SM lines on my no buy list. JBCO, African Black Soap and Yucca and Plantain (the latter because the fragrance is way too strong).

FYI, my mom washed and styled my grandma's hair using the same products and her hair came out soft, shiny, bouncy and her 3a/b curls were popping. She likes the results but loathes the fragrance, lol.

@NappyKinks

When it comes to SM I only use the masques these days and even that selection is just that. The JBCO I really liked, but when I used it, I hadn't used a "hard" protein in a while (it's not a hard protein treatment but keratin is hard) so I think that's why it went well. It is worth mentioning that though my hair tolerates less protein these days, it has never not been accepting to keratin and silk so that may be the difference. If you have fine strands I also wouldn't recommend it.

The black soap masque is on my sheeeet list because it used to be good, but @AgeinATL alerted me that they changed the line and the one my mother sent me must have been the new formulation because my scalp was in flames the next day. The yucca line just sucks. Period. I've used:
The restorative (fail)
Coconut and hibiscus (super fail)
Yucca and Baobob (don't pass go)
Black soap (don't collect $200)
Manuka Honey (just go straight to jail)

I've found that the more recent ones work. Idk why but for now I won't complain.

@NappyKinks
Even though I only bought it once,:look: I liked the JBCO Mask. I used it as a Pre-Poo on dry hair.

I kept saying I'd repurchase at some point. Hated the scent of the Yucca.

The only ones I have is Purification Hair Mask & the Manuka and Honey (which I still haven't tried).

Even though they been getting great reviews - I have zero interest in any from the new lines.

@Saludable84 and @IDareT'sHair
I don't care much for the SM DC's though I haven't tried the new stuff as yet.

I LOVE the Manuka Honey shampoo and rinse-out, they cut through my knots, snarls and snags like a boss but I found that for me the DC works best when left on my hair. I apply it in sections, chunky twist and bag my hair for an hour. My hair soaks up the Manuka Masque so well it looks as if there's nothing on it. Then I just proceed to styling.

I'm honestly tempted to try the SM HiPo and Sacha Inchi lines as well as the Super Fruit but it's so Hit or Miss with them I'm a bit hesitant. I was gung ho to buy the African Water Mint. I LOVE a good minty hair product and reviews were like" this **** will clear out your sinuses" so I was all for it but reviewers also complained that the rinse-out tangled their hair and the detangler dried it out sooooo.
I might snag a Water Mint set durong a BOGO free sale but for now I'm happy with the Raw Shea and Manuka Honey set.

@NappyKinks
They've come out with so many/too many Lines. I wouldn't even know where to start.:lol:

I have no interest in any of it, but will continue to read and enjoy ya'lls reviews on all the new stuff.

I'm really glad folks are finding a lot of things that are working great for them as OTG options.

Now...they might be able to reel me in on something during a BOGO Free:look: (not 50%).

But as of now, Imma use up what I have and KIM. There is nothing from this Hair Care Line that I can't live without.

I've even replaced my Shower Gels with Philosophy.

MISS

My GINORMOUS stash !!

I was cleaning and reorganizing my stash when the sheer multitude of products struck me. I'm leaving behind a massive carbon footprint once I toss my empties.

I need to revisit the iffy stuff and determine once and for all what to keep and what to toss. I also need a journal to keep track of the products that don't work and why so that I'm not tempted to repurchase them in the future. It's not going to cure my pj-ism but it should help me maintain a more reasonable size stash as well as keep more coins in my pocket.

Back