June 2016: Hits & Misses

@flyygirlll2
Me either. I would never have thought to try to DC with it?

I probably won't either because it cost too much (for me), to use it that way.

ETA: Yes, the 1st couple times it was whippy as you described, the last time or two it looked like the one Rasta posted.

I haven't opened the last jar I bought, so I don't know what I'll be seeing...:look:

ETA: It still performed the same.

Last edited:
@Aggie
I understand your decision to move away from Handmade Naturals.

You definitely got to be on top of your game to use things up and keep them from going bad.

You got to be committed to staying on top of it both rotation & use-up.

@Aggie

You definitely got to be on top of your game to use things up and keep them from going bad.

I had an entire bottle of Bekura Sorghum Syrup go bad before I had a chance to use it. I just threw away a jar of Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner because it smelled funky. I just purchased it a couple of months ago.

@Aggie

I still wanna try some stuff @IDareT'sHair, but they have to be small sizes. I already live in a very humid climate so I won't be able to keep up if I have too much handmade products on hand.

My major interest lies in two or three products from SSI, APB and maybe NG but I read some disturbing information about the latter (Naturelle Grow). I am still interested in NGs Marshmallow Root DC nevertheless.

I had an entire bottle of Bekura Sorghum Syrup go bad before I had a chance to use it. I just threw away a jar of Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner because it smelled funky. I just purchased it a couple of months ago.

@MilkChocolateOne
That's why I refrigerate everything. I wonder if the preservatives were left out of the Apple Sorghum? It could have just been sitting. Not sure if this one is a big seller or not?

Both of those products cost entirely too much to be going bad in a short amount of time.

I still wanna try some stuff but they have to be small sizes. I already live in a very humid climate so I won't be able to keep up if I have too much handmade products on hand.

@Aggie
APB does sell 4oz sizes which might work out great for you. I think NG also has 4oz as well.

All three product lines are very nice.

I would definitely start small and I would put them to the front of my rotation and focus strictly on using those.

@MilkChocolateOne
That's why I refrigerate everything. I wonder if the preservatives were left out of the Apple Sorghum? It could have just been sitting. Not sure if this one is a big seller or not?

Both of those products cost entirely too much to be going bad in a short amount of time.

I left my pumpkin seed conditioner in the bathroom. That's probably why it went bad. I ordered the Bekura during Black Friday and I stored it in a cool dark place. I never opened it. Next time I will use it sooner.

I ordered the Bekura during Black Friday and I stored it in a cool dark place. I never opened it. Next time I will use it sooner.

@MilkChocolateOne
It could have been sitting at Bekura for sometime before you even purchased it.

And again, there could have been something with the preservative(s) being left out.

ETA: Some folks put the dates on their products.

I left my pumpkin seed conditioner in the bathroom. That's probably why it went bad. I ordered the Bekura during Black Friday and I stored it in a cool dark place. I never opened it. Next time I will use it sooner.
I hope mine isn't bad. I ordered it BF 2014, but I never have gotten around to testing out. It's in a cool dry place. Maybe, I'll open on my next wash day to use as a pre-poo.

FWIW, I have some stuff, both refrigerated and un-refrigerated, from SSI that was purchased back in 2011:look: that is still perfectly fine. Nothing from SSI or APB, and a host of other natural products, has ever gone bad on me despite being years old and un-refrigerated (I still have 2 jars of the discontinued Apple & Mango Strengthening Mask from APB :lol:). However, I did have a DB Pumpkin Conditioner plus some things from Soultanicals, Ynobe, Silk Dreams and SNBE spoil while still full. With NG, I refrigerate until I pull it out for use and then keep it at the forefront of my rotation until it's gone because I don't want to take any chances. If a vendor states that their products have a short shelf life, I refrigerate immediately and use them quickly. All expensive, "are you kidding me products" are always refrigerated, which includes Bask...or whatever it's being called now.

I still have a jar of Vanilla Whiskey from 1.5 years ago (could be longer) that's still good and it's been sitting in my shower all that time :droolingsleep:

I also found a bottle of DC PSC that I found a few months back (used it quick lol) that had been in there from a haul I did BF13. I had no issues. I still have Silk Dreams conditioners from that haul with no issues and left them in dry dark places.

Agreeing with @IDareT'sHair I think maybe if they are not changing the preservatives, they may be using less, consistency may be an issue or old products are being sold. Especially if this is recent and my products are older than my son :look:

@PJaye
Great Review. :yep:

I 'rarely' have had any products spoil or mold on me.

A while back a vendor had launched a brand new product around this time of year which spoiled on a lot of folks "in transit". It was super hot that year.

The vendor did not hesitate to refund everyone's money and issue a deep discount for a future purchase. No questions asked.

@PJaye
Great Review. :yep:

I 'rarely' have had any products spoil or mold on me.

A while back a vendor had launched a brand new product around this time of year which spoiled on a lot of folks "in transit". It was super hot that year.

The vendor did not hesitate to refund everyone's money and issue a deep discount for a future purchase. No questions asked.

That was excellent customer service, but uh...were the products traveling by pack mule from the Andes?

@PJaye and @IDareT'sHair were the first two people who I read about "specially" storing their products and when I started questioning vendors before making orders, when they stated shelf life was from 6-9 months, it clicked. Especially when I realized I am slow to use products. I've never refrigerated anything, but anything unopened stays in my linen closet where it's really dry and dark. I have not had any issues.

That was excellent customer service, but uh...were the products traveling by pack mule from the Andes?

@PJaye
Since this was something new that Launched, I think it ended up being something about the particular preservative she used?

It just couldn't hold up to the stifling heat during transit.

Which is kinda making me 'rethink' my Summer Butter Purchasing.

Nope. They were coming from the DC area.

She promptly issued refunds. She reformulated and relaunched that particular product about 4-5 years later.

Hit
French perm stabilizer. This old school beauty gave me silky smooth rinse out at 5 months post. I forgot about this so its back in rotation.

Elasta QP soy oyl ultra hydration conditioner. Used this right after rinsing the above. My roller set was darn near effortless.

Hit:
Cowash. I was trying to just use SM HP conditioner but my hair was super hard when it hit the water. I used AIA cleansing cowash and it was ok. The follower up with the Shea Moisture HP conditioner to detangle. The spearmint in that stuff is powerful.

Miss:
My Hercules Sagemann combs. They just sit there looking lonely. The fine tooth one gets used by DH beard but that's about it. Since finger detangling, I only use my brush.

Shea Moisture Superfruit. Biotin and my hair don't mix. My hair is so hard. Harder than a case of protein overload, only difference is it isn't breaking.

Shea Moisture Baobob Oil. Such a rip off. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for it, but I would never. That stuff falls between "I don't do that" and "Oh hayle no!"

Not a Hit or Miss:
Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Conditioner. Verdict is still out, but tomorrow, when it's bunning time, I'll have a final ruling. So far, what I like is that I only need 1-1.5 pumps per twist.

[QUOTE="Saludable84, post: 22803739, member: 353551

Shea Moisture Baobob Oil. Such a rip off. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for it, but I would never. That stuff falls between "I don't do that" and "Oh hayle no!"

Not a Hit or Miss:
Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Conditioner. Verdict is still out, but tomorrow, when it's bunning time, I'll have a final ruling. So far, what I like is that I only need 1-1.5 pumps per twist
.[/QUOTE]

I have that SM oil. What didn't you like about it? I've used the flaxseed oil they have and that one is not too bad.

When I was fully relaxed, the WGB didn't do anything for my hair. I used it about 2 weeks ago since I have more natural hair now and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It did initially make my hair feel soft but my hair was dry 2 days later. Then again my hair doesn't stay moisturized for long these days so I'm still on an exhausting search for that product that will have my strands united and singing for the glory of mouisturised hair.

Back