Jill Scott gets a relaxer...

cmas2011

My SO sent me a text today and irately (well as irate as you can get via text) informs me that Jill Scott got a relaxer. When I went online to get the full scoop :grin:... I saw that his reaction was pretty much in-line with what the blog world is saying. While some are not sure if she just blew out her hair or got a relaxer, I was struck at the "backlash" at the mere idea that Jill Scott would DARE to get a relaxer.... There have been many many threads on how unreceptive the black community is to natural hair. Could this reaction to Jill Scott be a herald to a change in that attitude? What are your thoughts?

I need proof. :look: I won't believe it until I see it. It might just be a press. She wore a straight wig on the cover of her last album. She has been wearing weaves exclusively since she BCed when she was pregnant. Maybe she's over natural hair? Maybe it was damaged and she gave up on it? Maybe she just needed a chance of pace? Who knows...

I don't see anything wrong with her decision if she chose to relax her hair( it's hers to do whatever she wants with it) unless she is some kind of natural hair advocate or something. If this is true, I just hope she didn't do it out of pressure from anyone.

whatever she wants to do with her hair is up to her, but with her genre of music idt that was a very wise choice

I don't think it will matter. Chrisette Michelle came out with a straight weave at her label's suggestion. It didn't effect her career wise. She had a blonde fro before they gave her that straight black weave. She is now rocking a blonde fade.

Erykah Badu wears all those crazy wigs. We all know she's bald underneath. Didn't effect her career either.

I think Angie Stone may be relaxed now too. She wore straight hair on the cover of her last album. Everytime I've seen her since then she has had some type of curly/wavy weave but it was not kinky or tightly coiled like her previous ones. It was long and flowing.

Last edited:
Proof please? Anyway, whatever backlash will probably only come from the subset of fans who think that neosoul = afrocentric = afro. I can't see there being much of a public outcry otherwise.

Here's a picture of it:
jill-scott-hair.jpg

from: http://totallifeprosperityblog.com/2010/08/18/hairstory-jill-scott-gets-a-relaxer-more-hair-tips/

She bced last year and had a short fade. So she's been cut her hair. IIRC it was while she was pregnant. Didn't she have the baby back in like April of last year? I wonder if she lost hair due to Post Partum Shedding?

ETA: I see the pics now. I don't like it. It looks damaged. I'm not convinced it's a relaxer though. Until we hear her say it we won't know.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with her relaxing her hair..but I will say I'm shocked. I just saw the pictures and um...yeah..that wasn't an upgrade...relaxer or not.

What's funny is that a lot of people see straight hair and assume it's a relaxer. And then see kinky hair and assume it's natural (and real :look: ). Things are no longer that cut and dry.

I don't think it will matter. Chrisette Michelle came out with a straight weave at her label's suggestion. It didn't effect her career wise. She had a blonde fro before they gave her that straight black weave. She is now rocking a blonde fade.

Erykah Badu wears all those crazy wigs. We all know she's bald underneath. Didn't effect her career either.

I think Angie Stone may be relaxed now too. She wore straight hair on the cover of her last album. Everytime I've seen her since then she has had some type of curly/wavy weave but it was not kinky or tightly coiled like her previous ones. It was long and flowing.

very true, but jill scott is my favorite of them all cuz her music is so powerful and real the natural hair just went so well with it :rolleyes:
if she did relax she should at least invest in some natural looking wigs, thats what i'm doing :grin:

I don't see anything wrong with her decision if she chose to relax her hair( it's hers to do whatever she wants with it) unless she is some kind of natural hair advocate or something. If this is true, I just hope she didn't do it out of pressure from anyone.
I'm natural but agree with the bolded. And I'm sure when I flat iron I get it to look relaxed too. BUT for there to be backlash if she did relax?...:rolleyes:. She's capable of doing whatever she wants with her own body without permission from other people.

Rather she has a relaxer or not is nobodies business but her own. However I do not think this cut is very flattering on her.

I think this was the last time we actually saw her hair. She's been wearing weave for a minute now. I thought she BCed when she was pregnant. I'm guessing to get that red dye out. I found a pic:

pregnant_jilscott.jpg

I COMPLETELY agree... I just #1 wanted to hear from the LHCF community bc I think there is a diverse sampling of both relaxed and natural heads #2 I am still kind of confused about why ppl seemed upset about it? I'm not a fan of the new 'do, but I mean I dont like a lot of celebrity's hairstyle choices...

They're mob with pitchforks upset or simply disappointed upset?
That pic posted with that crazy hairstyle has me a bit upset now that I think about it.

I COMPLETELY agree... I just #1 wanted to hear from the LHCF community bc I think there is a diverse sampling of both relaxed and natural heads #2 I am still kind of confused about why ppl seemed upset about it? I'm not a fan of the new 'do, but I mean I dont like a lot of celebrity's hairstyle choices...

People would be upset because they feel like she sold out. She went back to the creamy crack. Most neo soul artists have natural hair. They may think she's going commercial. They may feel like she's feeding into the white man's standard of beauty and that nappy hair is shameful. Some people are militant about this sort of thing.

I personally don't care. I like her music and this new hairstyle is not going to stop me from supporting her but I can see why some people would be upset. I would think they would be more upset about her having a baby OOW over a hairstyle though. I mean if they wanted to be nitpicky. :look:

She needs to put her weave back in. This hair do is not what's up. :nono:

If it's a relaxer, it's under-processed. I just think it's a blowout. At least that's what it looks like.

Back