Jill Scott gets a relaxer...

Um....that don't look like "relaxed" hair to me! :scratchch I still see frizz and kinks. There's nothing smooth and silky about that hair. Unless Jill Scott herself claims that she put a relaxer in her hair, I'm gonna assume that was a blow out or light press.

I think for me its not that I feel so up in arms over it (I don't), it would just be a little disappointed. I know there are black actresses and singers who are natural out there, but there aren't many. And the ones that are, are usualy hiding it under straight weaves and/or wigs. So for me, Jill was refreshing. Even if she wore a wig or weave, at least it still was kinky hair. I feel like she and Erykah were the only one's truly rep'n natural.

Now I do love a nice sleek style too. All subjectiveness aside, Jill could have done better than this, IMO.

ETA: I have all of her albums and a perm will not stop me from getting the next one.

like last week it was a similar topic about erykah badu's hair b/c it was straight and blonde...idk if it was a perm or press, nor do i care...but people were going in...sometimes ppl put forth too much time &effort into caring about other peoples hair/dress/whatever and they dont even know the people...1/2 the time the info isnt even correct...as long as her hairstyle doesnt affect her music then she can do whatever she wants, its her hair...

Just my opinion I have the type of face that to me does not look good with short straight hair.

To me Jill is one of those types, BUT it is her hair, her style and her money so she can do what she wants. I prefer her in the cottony mass of wonderfulness that she use to have.

It looks texlaxed. Some people's relaxer don't get straight.

It looks like it has a chemical on it......but what's so wrong with that?

I think this was the last time we actually saw her hair. She's been wearing weave for a minute now. I thought she BCed when she was pregnant. I'm guessing to get that red dye out. I found a pic:

pregnant_jilscott.jpg

I've seen her natural hair since then. When she was on Tyler Perry's show, for the release of Why Did I Get Married Too, she had a nice size `fro. I'll look for a picture...

http://community.essence.com/forum/topics/beauty-hot-or-hmm-jill-scott
http://totallifeprosperityblog.com/2010/08/18/hairstory-jill-scott-gets-a-relaxer-more-hair-tips/
http://*****ielife.necole*****ie.com/2010/08/sound-off-jill-scott-gets-a-relaxer/

Some of the pics that I have seen make me think that she just cut her hair and blew it out/ pressed it... but i dunno. What I don't understand is why some people seem so upset about it.
Wow she looked better natural

Pics??????

Yeah - pics?

Oh ETA - just looked at pics in motherpopcorn562's post. That's not a relaxer that's a blow out. So I'm not only surprised that people don't recognize weaves when they see them they also don't know what blow dried hair looks like.

I wish people would stop trying to make hair into a faux political issue. I say faux coz it certainly doesn't stand for any real political issue or stance, and overall this is very boring and annoying. And wth is wrong with someone using a blow dryer??

Last edited:
I don't "see" the artist when I listen to music so short of being covered with cow crap I'm probably not going to get to worked up over hair choice. The lyrics and the delivery of the song are what matter and Jill does an amazing job of singing songs that touch my heart and mind.

I guess she can do whatever she likes with her own hair. Shrugs. What I absolutely hate is this crabs-in-a-barrel mentality that Black people are not individuals and are forever tied at the hip to every other Black person in the world and have to be granted permission for an individual choice. Jill Scott, the individual who just so happens to be African American...can do whatever the hell she wants with her own keratin strands.

ROFLMAOOOOOOO

If she did get a relaxer that's great she went for a change BUT if those pics are considered relaxed SHE NEEDS TO REVOKE THE LICENSE of the knucklehead who did it. It looks like a first time flat ironing job without comb chasing and forgetting heat protectant or a blow out gone wrong

It doesn't look that bad. She has a pretty face and will work the look to suit her in the future. I like when people do things that are totally unexpected of them. I think some people expect celebrities to always look the same. In reality we all like to change it up once in a while.

"Erykah Badu wears all those crazy wigs. We all know she's bald underneath. Didn't effect her career either."

This tickled me :rofl:!

Last edited:
I dont know why when someone straightens their hair and goes in public that the only thing it could be is a relaxer. I seriously doubt Jill Scott got a relaxer. Isnt she allowed to straighten her hair?

If thats a relaxer....it didnt take. Her edges aren't smooth at all..whether its relaxed or pressed..this look ages her about 10 years

HA! If that a relaxer then I'm a magical unicorn!:lol:

But for real, Jill if that is, get cha money back gurl. :nono:

are you guys sure that people are even upset because i was reading comments on blogs and most people didn't really care. i mean if you like the artist for his/her music, why does it matter? my only complaint is that her hair looked better before (and i think this has to do with the cut, not with the fact that it's permed or flat-ironed-she would look great with a bob for instance)

I want to :poke:that thing on her head to see if it starts moving. It looks damaged and barely alive, perm or no perm.

Back