Jill Scott gets a relaxer...

naw!!
I just went to the site and I saw "baken soda treatment." whats baken soda? I thought it was BAKING soda? oooh boooy...jill going to a place where they cant even spell their services correctly!

Yes, she really goes there. She gets her hair braided there too. :yep: I asked my friend that was at the event was her hair relaxed but it was a loss cause. My friend is white and sometimes doesn't know the difference between weave and real hair.:ohwell:

The event..a class reunion of a HS she didnt graduate from. A positive my friend said she did look smaller she was about a 12. But according to LHCF she's still fat:lachen:

I was on a flight back to Philly with Jill recently(July) & got an up close look. I do believe its relaxed. It looked really nice, very stylish. She had designs shaved into the sides of the cut.

Either way its her hair, her choice...That doesn't stop me loving her music or acting IMO

Last edited:
I like her natural hair styles but it's her choice if she wanted to relax. Thats the versatility of our hair we can go straight and then kinky/curly if we want to.

I don't know. The pic really does not look like her. I hope it's a look alike.:lachen:Her hair really looks damaged.:nono: Not many people can rock the Rihanna rooster look.:rolleyes::giggle:

It does look like crap, so I hope it's not permanent :burning:. I can't think of a celebrity who went from natural to straight (or relaxed) that looked better with the latter. It just makes them look, I dunno, kind of plain to me :perplexed.

Am I the only one who doesn't think her hair looks relaxed? It just looks cut and straightened. When I get my hair professionally straightened it looks much more relaxed than that. I think its funny that everyone assumes that straight automatically equals relaxed.
I would go so far as to say I think it looks bad because it looks like a press with the roots sweated out.
Relaxed or natural, it's not cute. LoL.

Whatever it is it's ugly as hell :nono:

The relaxer is not what upset me .. The ugly arse hairstyle she was rockin upset me. lol

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

What's funny is that a lot of people see straight hair and assume it's a relaxer. And then see kinky hair and assume it's natural (and real :look: ). Things are no longer that cut and dry.

Right, I always get mistaken for natural.

I don't think it's relaxed though, looks like a press and new cut. I am surprised at how thin and damaged it looks ...

Dare I say she could have wanted a change. My goodness what is there to be worked up over. I don't like the hairstyle but if she likes it great.

well isn't that her family at the salon? she maybe just like the rest of us had to come back from a mishap

I'm less upset about her hair being straight (doesn't looked relaxed but even so..) it is just ***** as hell.

AGREED. Without the extra volume, the style looks quite lifeless and lackluster. Me no likey at all:(

I don't care if it is temporarily straightened with a flat iron or if it is chemically straightened, it simply doesn't look good.

Isn't this supposed to be what is soooo fun about being natural. I mean being able to wear your hair sassy and curly one day and wear it smooth and straight the next. No matter what it is her hair though. I don't know what she goes through when she does her hair (that being if she even goes through anything or even does her own hair). Our hair is sooo versital and I think if she wanted to see it straight and play with it a little then good for her

I think every should have the opportunity to try something new, but I never knew Jill got one. Well if it helps her with her hair that's wonderful but the breakage is very constant so I hope she's prepared for that.

http://www.essenceofsilk.com 100% silk pillowcases, hair wraps, du rags & more...

I don't mind Jill wearing straight hair but everytime she does, it looks a H.A.M. First, those horrid straight wigs, now this?

I seriously need to go to search, and read every thread about edges, because when I had a relaxer...I think my edges looked like that. :blush: My hair too. SMH.

Im dont follow her at all, but alot of times celebrities have "images"- which is why some of them act like they are single, have no kids, younger than they are, act innocent, probally why alot of people dont really mess with Alicia Keys anymore...

I agree that she should do whatever she wants with her hair, and that her music should have nothing to do with her hair. But If I were a fan of her and her image as a package, than I would be upset just that she was taking pictures smiling without having said anything about relaxing her hair- like it was normal to do. When apparently people feel her music or image is contrary to that. I dont listen to her though so I dont know what she talks about.

It's hair and all that lot, she can relax or blowdry or hotcomb or whatever she did to it. But I have got to be honest and say it does not look good maybe a different style or maybe longer. I don't know it could look better than that.

are you guys sure that people are even upset because i was reading comments on blogs and most people didn't really care. i mean if you like the artist for his/her music, why does it matter? my only complaint is that her hair looked better before (and i think this has to do with the cut, not with the fact that it's permed or flat-ironed-she would look great with a bob for instance)

I agree that naturals aren't really that upset. I think discussions that say that there is a divide (even when there really isn't) is what causes a divide. Maybe some are disappointed, but then that makes sense. I strongly doubt she relaxed (looks like a press, but it would probably look much better if actually was relaxed) but I'd be a little annoyed if she did, given her persona. I think people need to stop pretending that if one of "your own"--whatever that may be--possibly left the ranks and wasn't representing anymore, esp. when there are VERY FEW out there in media/society promoting your look, philosophy or whatever, you wouldn't be disappointed either.

Many women would feel similar if she got liposuction and plastic surgery to be thin. Not upset or a "nazi" but disappointed she wasn't representing the "plus-size divas" anymore, as there are very few in Hollywood doing so with such fierceness that affirms its beauty. IMO, the body IS political, and can become so very easily once someone is famous, particularly when they are from minority/ridiculed groups. That's just the way it is for any celebrity or public figure, whether we think its unfair or not.

I disagree that its just about the music. In most cases, the entire persona/image goes with the music, especially in Neo Soul. There's a reason why most people in this genre rock natural styles, dreads, earth tones, typically exalting "blackness" and "realness" in their lyrics, etc.

But that being said, not that many people seem to care and I was only mildly annoyed when I read the thread title. I am a small fan of her music (but she doesn't even touch Badu, IMO). I'm not sure how much being relaxed would hurt her sales though in some markets, but it would surely change her image, although I think many people would see it as just a change in style and not take it too seriously. I'm not sure just how many though. Maybe I don't care too much because her being relaxed is just another drop in a very huge bucket, or maybe because I'm not that big of a fan anyway (though she has seriously touched me with some of her music).

I agree that its her choice and to each their own, but her choices will still be included in a broader, more systemic group of beauty choices. So will my own and any one else who chooses a certain look, ie. If I and thousands of others decide tomorrow to get a high-top fade, we'll be making an obvious statement about what is "hot" and about much more than just our own individual preferences.

Last edited:
Oh no... Now you guys have to boycott Jill Scott :nono:...(sarcastically)

Who cares its just hair... Some folks need a life

Last edited:
She is one of the reasons i thought about going natural, and did it.

Whatever she did to her hair is not cute.

I will continue to buy her music, pressed, relaxed, dyed, natural or bald. She can sang, and that is rare for a lot of 'artists' now.

I don't know. The pic really does not look like her. I hope it's a look alike.:lachen:Her hair really looks damaged.:nono: Not many people can rock the Rihanna rooster look.:rolleyes::giggle:

That's her. That pic was taken at her 20 year h.s. reunion this past weekend.

She can do what she wants with her hair and for me it will not effect me supporting her as an artist. Just because she sings a certain type of music does not mean she is required to look a certain way. But honestly come on that doesnt look like a relaxer to me looks like either a blowout or a light press like some other ladies suggested.

Last edited:
Back