Is it me or have you noticed also...

JessieLeleB

That almost every commercial I've seen with African American females adult and kids are now rocking natural hair...

It's great to see black women in there natural beauty without the perm being the norm nowadays!

But I really think most white ppl are behind the scenes of most commercial anyways...

What are your thoughts????

I've noticed this too. I pointed it out to my sister the other day. I don't know how it makes me feel. On the one hand I'm glad to see so many natural AA ladies on TV, but then it makes me feel like they think this is a trend. I get annoyed by this. The way my hair grows from my head is not a trend!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm just happy to see it the natural once again being natural on mainstream tv. This makes it less stressful to wear your 'fro in areas where many folks (black or white) dont generally see it as the norm anymore, including work. Folsk were so sensitized to natural hair (I tried in the 90s but was heckled so bad :( ) because we were flooded with relaxers and straight weaves being the only 'acceptable' mainstream styles since the 80s.

I'm loving it. :look:

My mom made a commit about this the other day. We were watching Hulu, and she said, "I'm glad these advertisers think everyone's natural. Most black chicks aren't." I said," Nope. They're not. But us naturals are loving it." :lol:

Seriously though, advertisers don't care about representing they're actual target audience. They're representing what they assume is the current ideal of their target audience. Most black women are tall and slim with long natural hair. Ha! Nope! Most are still relaxed, and most of those that are natural either wear their hair straight or keep it weaved/braided up. Online is a nice little bubble from real life :drunk:.

I have thought about starting a thread on this very topic :yep:

I'm noticing it in almost every commercial now, which is great!

I have noticed that too and I am noticing the variety of textures as well. I see big chops, twists, braids, twa. I think that is nice to see.

I was just noticing this the other day. There are lots of commercials on that feature an AA woman in them they are natural. It's good to see. :)

I don't see very many commercials/ ads. But since that Cheerio commercial it seems like most of the little girls are biracial.

I have thought about starting a thread on this very topic :yep: I'm noticing it in almost every commercial now, which is great!

I literally started to see it on 90% of commercials that have AA in it!

I first noticed that the kids were natural which I enjoy bc most AA put perms in kids heads way to early and after watching 'Good Hair' I was like wow we damage our kids heads and they dnt even have a choice and maybe the 'norm' of perming kids heads would chance for the better!

Then I states noticing the AA female adults most natural too.
I like it but like others said and what I think, whites are still behind the scenes and it's what they think will attract the money.

Fashion repeats itself over and over...

I've noticed it too. I have seen more 3 a/b types even 4a with certain defined curl patterns. I hope they increase 4b/z hair textures. I don't want little girls who lack a curl pattern to feel bad about their hair because they don't have a certain texture. That is just as harmful IMO as showing them straight hair in ads.

I think overall it's a positive move in the right direction, but there should be balance too. I hope they start to show a variety of hair textures as well as relaxed ladies as well. And I hope they continue to show the differences and that it's not something that eventually goes away. After all, we've been wearing our hair in different styles forever.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've noticed it too. I have seen more 3 a/b types even 4a with certain defined curl patterns. I hope they increase 4b/z hair textures. I don't want little girls who lack a curl pattern to feel bad about their hair because they don't have a certain texture. That is just as harmful IMO as showing them straight hair in ads.

You right like a earlier poster said its a lot of biracial looking kids and 3 types, not May 4 types, hope to see that also.

We do need to see the variety of AA hair perm and natural.

Change the Norm! Lol

Back