Is it me or is Sally's Beauty Supply racist?

I've found Sallys to be a good product source with prices lower than the local chain or bss on some items plus my member card saves even more. Most of the employees are black. The black hair products where I shop are located in a few different shelf spaces; most I do not buy anyway{full of undesireable ingredients and hair effect. Perhaps it's eye sight located in some areas based on the shop owner's prejudices and not the chain itself. Speak to the manager at the sites which offend you to find out "what's the deal" with the placement.

Same here BrooklynSouth. The Sally's I have frequented in my area (Central Jersey) don't have the Black Hair care section right by the register; more to the back of the store. Maybe that's racist, I don't know. As I remember the several Sally stores I visit are not in predominately black neighborhoods; but more diverse with all races and nationalities and a fairly dominent white population. I don't know the situation where you live OP.

I have never noticed that. Te black hair products are mixed with other brands and they are all the way in the back. Most of the time when i go to a sallys i will be the only person and the salesperson will be in the back doing stock work and they tell me to let them know if i need help or if im ready to check out. they have been nice and friendly except when i was returning an eyeshadow without a receipt :look:

There an Asian BSS that keeps mizani, dudleys, keracare and other higher end black hair products in the glass cabinets under lock and key!! Now thats a pain so i dont shop there.

at my sally's they're not by the register...actually i dont remember seein any... i dont like most black products anyway since they're bound to have mineral oil or petrolatum.

I understand we are tired of hearing the 'r' word associated with everything, but I really was wondering if it was just me. I don't know if any of you have heard of Sally's beauty supply, but it is a major beauty supply chain around where I live. They sell majority white haircare and products, and they have a few black hair care products as well. But, every one of those beauty supplies I have been in, puts the black haircare products, right next to the aisle the register is, where the aisle can be 'watched'. I noticed this, when I went to the first one, when someone was sticking there head out to watch me. And a few other ones I have been to.:ohwell: I don't blame them for protecting their merchandise, but are black people more likely to steal hair products? And does our singling out have be so obvious? Hmmmm, just an observation.:look:

Not the ones where I live. There are about three in a 15 mile radius and
the one I go to most often the black hair care line is on the first shelf as you walk in but the register is by the last shelf.

I frequent two different Sally's. One is in a fairly ritzy, predominantly white neighborhood, and the (few) black products are far from the register in the back of the store. Ninety-nine percent of the salespeople are white.

The other Sally's is in a less affluent, predominantly black and hispanic neighborhood. There, the (many) black products are right by the register. The salespeople tend to be black or hispanic. Interesting!

Let's see...in New Orleans all the Sally's I've been to have the stuff in the back or on an off, inconspicuous aisle. The staff is unfriendly and generally unhelpful to everyone. :rolleyes::lol:

In San Antonio, the stuff is usually in the front by the register, and I did notice folks walking past a lot, or asking me if I needed help with something a little too often, or a clerk would randomly need to straighten up the weaves on the aisle I'm in. :rolleyes:

I'm not a thief so I don't let it bother me. It can be a little infuriating, but it's the way of the world. Prejudice ain't going nowhere no time soon. I also don't know if the aisles are strategically placed based on some generic model that states Negroes steal they ass off, or because those products really do get lifted a lot based on a regional study. Also, just because YOU don't steal or witness anyone else stealing, doesn't mean folks don't steal.

Either way, I get my Silk Elements and bounce. They can kick rocks...

ETA: If we stopped patronage of all racist chains, we'd be making our own relaxers out of potatoes and Drano. Nobody is any good these days, but you gotta live.

Last edited:
IDK. At the Sally's where I live the Black hair care products are at the very back of the store in the last isle.

At my Sally's the black products are in the first aisle, but it is from front to back the entire first aisle is black products and then there are some mixed in with the white products.

Let's see...in New Orleans all the Sally's I've been to have the stuff in the back or on an off, inconspicuous aisle. The staff is unfriendly and generally unhelpful to everyone. :rolleyes::lol:

In San Antonio, the stuff is usually in the front by the register, and I did notice folks walking past a lot, or asking me if I needed help with something a little too often, or a clerk would randomly need to straighten up the weaves on the aisle I'm in. :rolleyes:

I'm not a thief so I don't let it bother me. It can be a little infuriating, but it's the way of the world. Prejudice ain't going nowhere no time soon. I also don't know if the aisles are strategically placed based on some generic model that states Negroes steal they ass off, or because those products really do get lifted a lot based on a regional study. Also, just because YOU don't steal or witness anyone else stealing, doesn't mean folks don't steal.

Either way, I get my Silk Elements and bounce. They can kick rocks...

ETA: If we stopped patronage of all racist chains, we'd be making our own relaxers out of potatoes and Drano. Nobody is any good these days, but you gotta live.

Every Sally's I've ever been to (different cities, but all in mostly black neighborhoods), have had the black hair products all on one aisle, and at the end/top of that aisle - the cash register.

Having worked in retail, and having watched (and caught) a lot of shoplifters, all I have to say is - sadly enough, I caught more black people than white (and this was at Lane Bryant, so an equal opportunity store), and I was keeping an eagle eye on the white girls because I didn't WANT to believe that black people were really that trifiling on a regular basis.
When I saw these two girls use a 3 y/o little girl to help them steal, I was through. *sigh*
:look: If I owned a business, and saw most of my losses were coming from a certain range of products, I'd put those products under better watch, too. You notice, most drugstores have the condoms and pregnancy tests locked up as well - because people steal them.
The Asian BSS might be working off of pure racist fear. Corporations usually work off of numbers.

it's not you...I was in there on Friday, the two cashiers are black, this month they have the Le Kair cholesterol conditioner on sale, this store, didn't even have it in stock. The cashier even told me that the AA products are very limited at that location.:nono: The one that was closer to my home had a whole aisle, lots of variety, albeit closer to the back; and that one closed. Mind you they are about 3/4 a mile from each other. From now on, I'll check the monthly flyer online and save myself a trip. I'll just go to the BSS that's further away from me, but at least it won't be a blank trip. they're more 'ethnically geared':rolleyes: towards my needs, and is 3x the size of Sally's.

Last edited:
My Sally's has the "black" aisle in the back...no where near the register...I'm never watched and they are very friendly.

Mine too..it just depends on the store...they have different merchandise based on local demographics so maybe the layouts are demographics based. Just a guess

The Sallys I go to (in fact, all of them I've gone to in my area) have the "ethnic" hair care products in the back of the store, usually on the first aisle, far faw away from the register.

And all of the employees I've dealt with at these stores are hispanic or black.

And I live in a predominantly white community.

Same here. I live in the DC area and the Sally's here (if you can find one) have a ton of black items. But I will say, the relaxers etc are all in one aisle and that aisle ends at the register. I'm not sure if I want to say it is racist and since all the employees in the MD stores that I've been in are black, I've never been watched or followed.

Do ppl really steal $5 boxes of relaxers?
I can see the expensive stuff like Phyto, Mizani, etc. but for real - Fabulaxer or Just for Me? You can get that stuff - on sale- at grocery and drug stores 'round these parts.

I'll have to resurvey Sally's the next time I'm there.

But check it. I'd rather that than when I go to the Asian BSSs. They have cameras in every aisle and they always have one or more ppl stationed in the wig/hair section which in a lot of the BSSs here are behind counters and you have to ask. Then in some really big BSS they don't give you the hair, they walk it to the register and leave it there till you are ready to check out. I feel much more racially targeted then than I do in a Sally's just b/c the black stuff is by the register. In the Asian BSS here, if they have white products it is usually the expensive stuff and it is like Sally's - behind or near the register where they can see you.

Now y'all got me all worked up over here. LOL :laugh:

True story: My mother's car got broken into by a crackhead when I was a little kid, she was picking me up from the salon. The only thing that was missing was her "box perm" :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Do ppl really steal $5 boxes of relaxers? I can see the expensive stuff like Phyto, Mizani, etc. but for real - Fabulaxer or Just for Me? You can get that stuff - on sale- at grocery and drug stores 'round these parts.

True story: My mother's car got broken into by a crackhead when I was a little kid, she was picking me up from the salon. The only thing that was missing was her "box perm" :lachen::lachen::lachen:

:nono: See - that's just how serious some people take their new growth!!!!!!! :lachen: Thas just crazy.

I understand we are tired of hearing the 'r' word associated with everything, but I really was wondering if it was just me. I don't know if any of you have heard of Sally's beauty supply, but it is a major beauty supply chain around where I live. They sell majority white haircare and products, and they have a few black hair care products as well. But, every one of those beauty supplies I have been in, puts the black haircare products, right next to the aisle the register is, where the aisle can be 'watched'. I noticed this, when I went to the first one, when someone was sticking there head out to watch me. And a few other ones I have been to.:ohwell: I don't blame them for protecting their merchandise, but are black people more likely to steal hair products? And does our singling out have be so obvious? Hmmmm, just an observation.:look:

Wow! If it's due to racial stereotypes, then that's a darn shame.

Now that you mention it, a lot of Sally's have ethnic products near the register (the ones I go to all the time in OH do). But I just went to a Sally's yesterday that had the ethnic products on the aisle furthest away from the register and more expensive styling appliances near the front where they can be seen.

I think in depends on the demographic of the city because the Sally in my town has tons of ethnic hair care products in fact that is who they are marketing their products to. The village that I reside in is 65% AA.

Okay, so maybe it is per location. I just had been to enough where I was, that I noticed this 'habit'. I don't care, because I know I am not stealing, but when you get a peek a boo, from afar, you start to think. I usually go to bss anyway. And the Asians are on top of their game. :rolleyes: Hey, I am not against security by any means, but it is a little frustrating. I have been to stores, and they say hello to everyone, but when you walk in with your friend as a black person, they are a bit, 'extra friendly'. No worries!:grin: I was just wondering. The Sally's I went into yesterday, was the first time I saw a black person working their, ever!:ohwell:

Well I never thought to put it that way, but yeah the Sally's I used to go to is set up that way with the ethnic products aisle near the register. But also, they have ALL the weaves, curling irons, clippers and etc. hanging on a wall BEHIND the register. So all you got to do is tell them what you wanting, and then they'll assist you with that. But if you're not done shopping in the store, they WILL keep the product (from behind them) right there until you're ready to check out.

Someone mentioned storing the higher end products under lock and key, well at the one I go to, they put those higher end products on the TOP shelf where you would need to have a ladder to be able to reach the product. Thus you will need assistance to get said product and once you get it, it's in your hands to read or what not. But then they'll ask you, if you wish for them to take it to the register for you and hold it while you shop(with a fake smile to boot). If you say YES, they'll keep trying to assist you, should they see you elsewhere in the store and you're looking around. But if you say NO, they will keep their eyes on you like a darn HAWK until you come to the register. SHEEESH!!!!

I can understand about security and stuff, but dang, do ya gotta watch me like I'm some daggone EX-friggin CON????:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: At least they could do with toning it down some.

Currently I don't go to that store anymore, I go to another Sally's an hour away when I'm looking for something that only Sally's carries. And that store has a better atmosphere BUT, again, I never thought about the setting. And yes theirs is set up the SAME way with the ethnic section down the aisle from the register. They have a heck of a lot more products too. But they don't have that crazy mentality like the other store did.

the ones that i go to have the ethnic stuff on the aisle closest to the register and one is in a white neighborhood, the other is in a black neighborhood...but the staff at the one in the 'white' neighborhood is mostly black and very knowledgeable. this one girl deserves a raise for answering all the dumb@$$ questions i've asked her.

:lachen:

but its just like wal-mart...the one in the black neighborhood has way more black hair care stuff because that is who shops there. the wal-mart in my city barely has anything other than some relaxers and one or two "satin" scarfs...the one in the next city over is practically a BSS. they have tracks, braid hair, bonding glue, every kind of ORS and Dark and Lovely product ever made. nothing prejudice, except i gotta drive further. and the lustrasilk is a dollar cheaper at sally's this month.

there is a Sallys in the London and the products aimed at black people are no where near the register if i stole something no-one would know but that is real bad from what i am reading shame shame on them.:nono:

The Sally's where I used to go had the black stuff near the back. The one I frequent now has the black stuff in the front, and has mostly black employees.

The Sally's I go to have the products in the back, near the first isle. The cash register is far from the black products they are not in the same isle as one another.

My Sally's has the "black" aisle in the back...no where near the register...I'm never watched and they are very friendly.

Wow thats weird:perplexed. Both of the Sally's Beauty Shops I go to, put the black hair products in the very back. I'd prefer it in the back anyways, because no ones staring at me while I choose my products

Wow. At my Sally's store, the black hair care aisle is the aisle furthest from the cash register. The aisle closest to the register has all the heat appliances (blow dryers, hood dryers and flat irons).

Same here. The black section is actually furthest from the register.

I have 2 Sally's that I frequent and both have the black hair items farthest from the register.

Same here BrooklynSouth. The Sally's I have frequented in my area (Central Jersey) don't have the Black Hair care section right by the register; more to the back of the store. Maybe that's racist, I don't know. As I remember the several Sally stores I visit are not in predominately black neighborhoods; but more diverse with all races and nationalities and a fairly dominent white population. I don't know the situation where you live OP.

at my sally's they're not by the register...actually i dont remember seein any... i dont like most black products anyway since they're bound to have mineral oil or petrolatum.

Not the ones where I live. There are about three in a 15 mile radius and
the one I go to most often the black hair care line is on the first shelf as you walk in but the register is by the last shelf.

IDK. At the Sally's where I live the Black hair care products are at the very back of the store in the last isle.

Mine too..it just depends on the store...they have different merchandise based on local demographics so maybe the layouts are demographics based. Just a guess

The Sallys I go to (in fact, all of them I've gone to in my area) have the "ethnic" hair care products in the back of the store, usually on the first aisle, far faw away from the register.

And all of the employees I've dealt with at these stores are hispanic or black.

And I live in a predominantly white community.

the ethnic section is furthest from the cashier in the sally's i frequent:look:

Not the 2 Sallys closest to me.. The Black hair care isle is far from the register towards the back of the store.

CO-signing with all of the above. This seems to have to do with location and the populations that particular Sally's is dealing with along with the viewsof the proprietor as many of us have seen the oppostie.

I been thought this and that is the very reason why I stopped going and besides they don't have none of my staples anyways:rolleyes: CON, Queen Helene, to name a few:rolleyes: The Sally's I went to was in a white area

Last edited:
Back