Do You Also Stop Traffic With Your Long Hair?

I don't attribute my traffic stopping to my hair. I think it's my swagger. I get a kick out of showing that I take care of myself.

But, I have noticed:

-Eyes rolling and teeth sucking by a check-out lady at the supermarket.
-Guys have asked: dang, 'all day your hur'. I only tell the truth if he's cute.
-A few of my non-AfAm co-workers have beat me in the head for my regime. I even heard one of them say that their hair won't grow (bleach blonde). One of my non half-black co-workers will not look at me if I have my hair down.
-This white guy did a weave-check on me after I did a hairstyle switch-a-roo. I still wanna know who taught him that ****.
-Some people will act mad different when I go from bun to straight.
-And this crazy white chick tried to knock off my 'hair piece' when she was walking to her seat in the row behind me. She was mad convinced that my hair wasn't real. I just pinned it up and kept it movin'.

I like wearing buns, because I can do without the drama.

The nerve of these people in the bolded.:nono:

I think the crazy chick felt intimidated because you looked better than her, why would she go through all that trouble to prove that your hair was fake and on top of that try to humiliate you? I bet she felt like a dumba$$ when she saw that it was real...

i wouldn't say my hair stop trafic but i think my fro has made some people twist up their necks to look at it.

i was rocking my huge ol puff and the wind started to blowing then i look behind me *swish* and they were swishing with my hair heck i was staring at my hair my puff was hot and huge that day.

also when my hair is straight and it has than swang and the wind start to make it blow men,women,babies stare at it:grin: and it's the only time that i like running for the bus cause that wind blowing through your hair is addictive.

when my hair is straight i get more people coming up to me speaking some different laguages talk to me like if i understand.

i can't wait to have more and it make me feel nice even though i'm only APL.

I can't say I've stopped traffic with my hair, but one day at church, I went over and introduced myself to some black sisters and one of them said, "your hair is so pretty. are you mixed?" Now mind you, my hair is 4a/b and only an inch or so past SL, but it is pretty thick and healthy looking. I said to her, "nope! on my mom's side we're not mixed for at least 5 generations and my dad is pure african!" :grin: That convinced her :lachen:, but I thought it was interesting that she asked. I don't even look mixed ...:sad:

I don't attribute my traffic stopping to my hair. I think it's my swagger. I get a kick out of showing that I take care of myself.

But, I have noticed:

-A few of my non-AfAm co-workers have beat me in the head for my regime. I even heard one of them say that their hair won't grow (bleach blonde). One of my non half-black co-workers will not look at me if I have my hair down.
-This white guy did a weave-check on me after I did a hairstyle switch-a-roo. I still wanna know who taught him that ****.
-And this crazy white chick tried to knock off my 'hair piece' when she was walking to her seat in the row behind me. She was mad convinced that my hair wasn't real. I just pinned it up and kept it movin'.

That's so sad that you can't enjoy your own hair around haters!!!!!!

You and your daughter's hair is so pretty. :yep: Been meaning to tell you that.

NuMe2004Re: Do You Also Stop Traffic With Your Long Hair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMO
You and your daughter's hair is so pretty. :yep: Been meaning to tell you that.

I agree. And, they're (Cateyes & her daughter) beautiful ladies too :).

Ohhhh thank you Ladies, that was sweet of you!!!!:blush::blush:

This just goes to show that some white people are so ignorant when it comes to our hair among other things :confused: Why can't we have good hair and long hair that is ours, without people thinking it's a weave :confused: Then they have the nerve to be shocked when it's real lol. :lachen;

Did you meet your waist length challenge for May?

My hair tends to "stop traffic" at times. Not because of the length but because of its texture. It's grown into a very curly, krinkly mass and a lot of people assume I have a texturizer in it. I get a lot of nice compliments as well as questions about how I take care of it.

OMG, that little boy looks like my brother when he was a baby. Cutie pie.

But, I have noticed:

Gurl, you meet some real luny tunes. Those people need pills.:nono: This upsets me and frightens me. I want to wear my hair down often. I keep it up mainly now.

same here! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:
this is why I'm anti-weave :look:

Yeah, too many of us are wearing weave like it's their hair. Weave, wigs and anything that's not natural should only be worn occationally not as a lifestyle unless you have hair loss. And then you are suppose to make it look natural not flaunt that its fake!:nono:

Last edited:
I think they think the same thing about mine. When I was at the salon getting it flatironed, when I was done the people there said my hair lookd too long, too perfect, too full...just like a wig! I am thinking if people that actually sat in the salon with me and saw that it was my hair, I can't imagine what people who hadn't seen my hair get done think!

What is your length your profile says short and sexy? Also what is your texture? May I see pix?

Even my mother tells me my hair looks like a wig when it's straight, but I take it as a compliment! One time I left the Dominican salon and they have a Latin/Caribe grocery right next door. I went in to stock up on things I can't buy around my way and the men in there were just chatting me up. The stock boy kept following me and asking did I need him to push my cart. I let him :yep:. I get to the counter to check out and this FINE older man was standing there talking to the cashier and he looked at what I was buying and said "what you know about Goya? where you from baby?" When I told him of my Haitian/Cuban/AA heritage he was like "I'm Dominican. We love Haiti, but I didn't know they made women so beautiful there." :look: I said thanks then he was like "I'm the Goya rep for this region. Anything else you need get it, it's on me." I told him that was okay, but after some insistance, I grabbed some more stuff and he took care of the Goya which I'm assuming he got for free anyway, but he bought my other groceries! He said "Call me when you come back in town, we'll do breakfast or something." Those Caribbean men get me every time! Nobody has game like them...did I mention he was fine???

Well now. Maybe I need to start shopping in international grocery stores. :look: Can't wait til I get on yo level. :grin:

Yeah, too many of us are wearing weave like it's their hair. Weave, wigs and anything that's not natural should only be worn occationally not as a lifestyle unless you have hair loss. And then you are suppose to make it look natural not flaunt that its fake!:nono:
Sad but true.
Funny thing happened to me yesterday at the chiropractors office. We're waiting to be seen and a lady comes out after her appointment. She chats us Me and dh, dd) up for a while. She notices my hair which is in two stranded twists. She says "I've been wanting to get my hair done like that only pulled up into a high ponytail." "Where did you get yours?" I say oh, "this is mine". Embarrassed, she burst out laughing and so do I. I was like , "Yeah I got it the old fashioned way.":lachen::lachen::lachen: I don't think my hair looks fake but a lot of people seem to think it does!

Whether my hair was long or short, I always got compliments on it and people asking me where I get it done. Shoot, you look good men ain't worried about how long your hair is! :grin: My hairdresser was the greatest, she knew how to cut your hair to compliment your face.

Can we say "Filipinas, Hawaiins and other polynesian groups"? Butts & lips on the prettiest of them!:lachen:

OK!! These women and Indian women are the ones that really have long hair.

When I went to Hawaii for the first time, my entire perception about what I thought was long hair completely changed. I've always been kind of a snob about it but now I am much worse!:lachen:

But, I have noticed:

-A few of my non-AfAm co-workers have beat me in the head for my regime. I even heard one of them say that their hair won't grow (bleach blonde). One of my non half-black co-workers will not look at me if I have my hair down. -This white guy did a weave-check on me after I did a hairstyle switch-a-roo. I still wanna know who taught him that ****.

Girrrrrl you had me laugh hard on the first bolded!!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I know it all too well, I had this girl just totally stop talking to me after she saw my hair out one day.

Last edited:
i noticed that white people react more when my hair is curly. they really trip over it and cant believe how soft it is. that just amazes them:) .
black people in general tend to react more to my str8 hair than curly. it seems, the more bone str8 the better:confused: . thats in my experience over the span of my life:D

ITA with this ENTIRE statement! This has been my expeirence as well. Although, since I hava been wearing it curly I get a lot of the "good hur" looks from the black folk.

Men reeeeaaaaally love hair apparently. I didn't really notice this until....

1. A guy I had just started spending time with looked over at me when we were driving in his car and said "yeah, your hair is long enough for me to date you". :ohwell: AND he said it with a straight face, like he was serious!

2. After I cut my hair about 12 yrs ago into a Halle Berry type style (I think I've done just about EVERYTHING with my hair), I became bored with it and got a weave. Walking into the salon, nobody paid me any mind and it was a salon/barber shop and I had to walk past the guys first. Couple hours later as I was leaving, dudes were FALLING OVER THEMSELVES to talk to me in the shop and on the 20 second walk to my car. All the while I'm thinking, didn't these fools just see me walk in here? :rolleyes:

3. I'm friends with my ex-boyfriend, but I only see him like 2 or 3 times a year. EVERY time he sees me now, his eyes look like they glaze over when he admires my hair. The entire time we dated, my hair was in a short cut. It's as if he's enamored with my hair or something.

4. My business partner is partial to longer hair on women. I'm about an inch from APL and he's a BSL and longer monger, but he is always looking at my hair when I do it and finds always some excuse to flip it and stuff. :blush:

5. My clients are particularly more lecherous now :perplexed

6. My SO can't keep his hands and nose out of my hair. Sometimes he's a little rough :nono: but he loves to play in it.

I guess I'd forgotten how big they were on hair considering I wore my hair short and shorter for 12 consecutive years.

BTW, I have stopped traffic before, but unless he was checking for hair on my assets, I don't think that's why dude almost caused and accident :lachen:

UMKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I was going into a pizza shop once, double parked, so I ran to the door and when I opened it the wind blew my hair up and it fell down all graceful like. These guys were sitting at a table by the window and I noticed they seemed to stop talking when I walked in. One of them said "Can you do that again?" I turned and said "What?". He said, "Walk through that door again so your hair blows" His boy did a swish-swoosh sound and made a motion with his hand going back and forth. I just smiled and laughed it off.

My hair wasn't long, it was about 2-3 inchs past shoulder but it was feathery and healthy.

When I was in H.S. it seemed like everyone was getting hair cuts, shaved in the back bob like hair cuts and Halle Berry cuts and my hair was always a little past the shoulder, always. Getting of the bus walking me home one day I told a guy friend that I was thinking about cutting my hair. He stopped in his tracks and said "WHAT!? You know how many girls want your hair!!" Then he yoked me up and said "Don't EVER cut your hair, hear me? Promise me!" I was like 'OK! I was just thinking about it!" Then he calmed down and we kept walking and talking like nothing happened. :lol:

That is hilarious! I got a visual by just reading the post.

The one time I did wear my hair straight, everyone just assumed it was a weave, so no traffic jams over here. I did over hear a couple of people wondering what brand I was using, lol.

Sent from my HTC Evo

I dunno about stopping traffic but I have noticed that men are mesmerized by hair blowing in the wind and hair movement in general. And I have seen a drastic increase in stares and glazed over looks since relaxing my hair.

Men reeeeaaaaally love hair apparently. I didn't really notice this until....

2. After I cut my hair about 12 yrs ago into a Halle Berry type style (I think I've done just about EVERYTHING with my hair), I became bored with it and got a weave. Walking into the salon, nobody paid me any mind and it was a salon/barber shop and I had to walk past the guys first. Couple hours later as I was leaving, dudes were FALLING OVER THEMSELVES to talk to me in the shop and on the 20 second walk to my car. All the while I'm thinking, didn't these fools just see me walk in here?

:lol: The bolded sums up my thoughts on this hair thing.. men are so darn simple-minded sometimes. I still can't believe how drastically different men who see me all the time will react based on my clothes or hair that day. I just think wow, you guys are easily manipulated huh... smh.

ME ME! I have a story!!

My hair is a little longer than SL so of course it's not long by any standard. I got my hair colored and flatironed 2 weeks ago for the first time since I went natural. My hair was looking good! Full of body and swangin' (If I do say so myself!). Even my stylist was shocked by how long my hair was compared to my TWA.

Anyway, after I left the salon, I was leaving a store. I walked to my car just as the wind is blowing, and blowing my hair behind me :gorgeous:. I got into my car and was about to pull into traffic when this white man comes running toward my car flagging me down. Of course I thought there was something wrong with my car. So I stopped, rolled down my windows and asked him what's going on. He said: "I just had to tell that you are hot! I hope you're not offended or anything. That's all." and with that he waved and kept on walking. That made my week!

I can't say for sure if I've stopped traffic, since I typically have my earphones in and am oblivious to non-perilous situations when I'm outside :lol:

However...I did make a guy fall down a flight of stairs. :ohwell:

I wear my hair in its natural state, typically up with some hair toys, but this day my curls were out and about. I used to tutor at my college and was taking a break from my shift, on my way to the restroom when I hear someone saying "Hey, hey! Hey beautiful--HEY!!!," and heard some shuffling (him tripping and falling.) Now, I heard him but wasn't paying any attention because we were in the hallway, and he could have been talking to anyone. I felt that certain energy that his comments were directed towards me so I looked, and he was talking to me, picking himself up from the landing. And then he was like,"see you're so beautiful you made me fall down the stairs! Your hair, your everything, just wow girl!" Needless to say I was little dumbfounded at the awkward situation...lol

I used to notice looks when my hair was freshly styled. Back when I used to get Dominican blowouts and my hair would have a lot of body and movement, I would always get stopped by guys leaving the salon. Even if I looked a hot mess as I would usually go the salons in bummy sweat pants and a tank top.

These days I get more women commenting on my hair, and it's usual when it's natural rather then straight. And most of the women are Caucasian. I do get black naturals giving me compliments though.

LunaGorgeous said:
I can't say for sure if I've stopped traffic, since I typically have my earphones in and am oblivious to non-perilous situations when I'm outside :lol:

However...I did make a guy fall down a flight of stairs. :ohwell:

I wear my hair in its natural state, typically up with some hair toys, but this day my curls were out and about. I used to tutor at my college and was taking a break from my shift, on my way to the restroom when I hear someone saying "Hey, hey! Hey beautiful--HEY!!!," and heard some shuffling (him tripping and falling.) Now, I heard him but wasn't paying any attention because we were in the hallway, and he could have been talking to anyone. I felt that certain energy that his comments were directed towards me so I looked, and he was talking to me, picking himself up from the landing. And then he was like,"see you're so beautiful you made me fall down the stairs! Your hair, your everything, just wow girl!" Needless to say I was little dumbfounded at the awkward situation...lol
LunaGorgeous Wow that's awesome ... if you're ever having a down day you should remember this incident :yes:

@LunaGorgeous Wow that's awesome ... if you're ever having a down day you should remember this incident :yes:

I definitely agree! He seemed like a very nice guy, and with the backlash some people get for wearing their natural hair it is always refreshing to see someone who appreciates it. Oddly I don't think I ever saw him again after that day...:look:

Back