Interracial relationships

Just a quick announcement to all the ladies who post in this thread:

Please be very careful what you post and share in this thread and any other potential IR threads. I know this should go without saying in any thread, but I thought I would state it regardless.

I would suggest to think long and hard about what you post that may be sensitive to you and your situation, because it can end up as fodder for that tea tumblr or fodder for mean spirited women in other threads against you. I know this thread should be able to be supportive just like any other thread on this forum, but just please be mindful.

Thank you for this. You are definitely correct which is why I have decided not to post certain things on this thread and on the forum overall anymore. Didn't realise people could be so nasty seeing as it goes against the whole premises of this forum which is support. I guess that's what happens when you put a group of females together online or in real life.

The reason I said my life doesn't revolve around the internet before was to make a point that whatever I do post on here will not affect me personally. Similar to whatever others say about me on here. I use a different photo and username to other accounts I make online and don't use certain social media accounts. But not everyone is like that so I hope everyone can stay safe on here.

We've been together for eight years.

I had dated other white men before, but I was the first black women he'd dated.

We met at a Holiday party. I noticed he would follow me from room to room and he was always sitting nearby. He'd would ask if I needed anything thing from the kitchen or if I wanted a drink from the bar. I thought he was just being nice, but later I found out from a mutual acquaintance that he'd had his eye on me since a cookout we both attended in the Summer. So that explained why he was following me throughout the evening :lol:. So, at this holiday party, we both had too much to drink and after much flirting and back-and-forth, we made out. :look:

He asked me for my number and I gave it to him. He called me the next day to wish me a Merry Christmas. He asked me out on a date. We went to a well-known sushi place and ordered one of those sushi boats. We ate the whole thing. :lol: We chatted and I learned that he was a musician and had been married, but divorced. He had no children and had a cat. I like cats. :yep:

Well, since that first date, we've been together ever since.

He's my best friend and he would do anything for me. I've never wanted for anything and he's always got my back. I love him and he REALLY loves me. :lol: When my friends meet him, they say, "he's a real cool dude." I say, "I know." :lol:

We're not planning to marry anytime soon (my choice, not his).
I told him that if we're still together when I'm 64 (like the Beatle's song), then I'll think about marrying him. :lol: I just turned 57 in January.

Awwww @january noir.... your story of how you met your bf is so cute!!! :grin:

I want a story like that lol. I think it's so cute when the guy is so much more enamored than the woman. :giggle: I think the relationships end up smoother that way.

I can't wait to finally date a guy who I feel is like my BEST friend. I've NEVER had that before....where I felt this mutual attraction and this mutual closeness of feeling like this dude is my best friend, I can tell him anything, we really "click" and connect well on a deep level, etc. *sigh* :grin: :grin:

I'm curious about the lack of Hispanic men in Maryland. I found one in the 3 years that I've lived here. I was so spoiled back in California, they were everywhere.
@SoopremeBeing
Hahaha!! :lol: We're actually the reverse. I'm from the DMV, and now I'm in CA and you're right there are hispanic men ALLLLLLL around here lol. :drunk: So you're definitely right on that account lol :lachen:

Do the hispanic men out here on the west coast like bw though? I don't usually see a lot of hispanic men w/BW. Shoot I don't barely see any hispanic anything with blacks period. I'm wondering if this has to do w/a lot of the gang violence that used to be so prevalent in the 90's? :confused: Or maybe it's because there are so many hispanic women as well. #shrug I wouldn't be adverse to dating a hispanic guy, but I've never gotten the impression that one was really serious for a relationship. :look: And out here in CA I don't really see any beating down my door lol. :lol:

Anyway, there ARE hispanic men in MD and I found that a lot of them DO like BW. :yep: I would get hit on by them all the time back when I lived over there. I find a lot of them in pockets of MD, VA. Areas like Tacoma Park, Laurel, Silver Spring, some parts of northern VA. Also check Bethesda, Greenbelt (sort of), Gaithersburg areas as well. There were some in Prince George's county as well. :yep:

I find that the main difference between here and there is that in the DMV I usually found them in pockets of different areas/cities. Whereas here in CA I find them everywhere lol. :lol:

In interest of expanding my dating pool, I went out on my first date with a white guy. I was a bit nervous in the beginning of the date, but he made me feel comfortable. I didn't notice anyone starring, and he didn't care. lol

I was a little taken a back because he was very attentive and gave me lots of compliments. His attention was focused on me the entire time.. It was a nice feeling. I think he was more into me, but he treated me so well I'll go out again with him.

I went to a reception yesterday and caught up with a yt guy I haven't seen since elementary school. He was a year under me and more of an acquaintance than friend. He has grown to be a very handsome guy, well accomplished and he may be single. When it was time to leave he made his way from across the room to give me a hug and say goodbye. He said I'm sure our paths will cross again. Clueless me said "yeah maybe" not thinking maybe I should give him my contact info in case he's interested. I hear yt guys aren't very bold when it comes to making a move interacially. He has facebook but I'm deactivated and I told him. Would it be too bold to log in and send a short great seeing you and here's my info if you would like to keep in touch message and log back out? He seemed so genuinely nice, we talked for a pretty long time, and I'd hate to let a potential opportunity go. I've never dated out of my race but I have had plenty of crushes.

Last edited:
@SoopremeBeing
Hahaha!! :lol: We're actually the reverse. I'm from the DMV, and now I'm in CA and you're right there are hispanic men ALLLLLLL around here lol. :drunk: So you're definitely right on that account lol :lachen:

Do the hispanic men out here on the west coast like bw though? I don't usually see a lot of hispanic men w/BW. Shoot I don't barely see any hispanic anything with blacks period. I'm wondering if this has to do w/a lot of the gang violence that used to be so prevalent in the 90's? :confused: Or maybe it's because there are so many hispanic women as well. #shrug I wouldn't be adverse to dating a hispanic guy, but I've never gotten the impression that one was really serious for a relationship. :look: And out here in CA I don't really see any beating down my door lol. :lol:

Anyway, there ARE hispanic men in MD and I found that a lot of them DO like BW. :yep: I would get hit on by them all the time back when I lived over there. I find a lot of them in pockets of MD, VA. Areas like Tacoma Park, Laurel, Silver Spring, some parts of northern VA. Also check Bethesda, Greenbelt (sort of), Gaithersburg areas as well. There were some in Prince George's county as well. :yep:

I find that the main difference between here and there is that in the DMV I usually found them in pockets of different areas/cities. Whereas here in CA I find them everywhere lol. :lol:

I'm from SoCal and dated a lot of Latino men. It was usually a friend-of-a-friend situation. Now that I think about it, most were second or third generation.

I went to a reception yesterday and caught up with a yt guy I haven't seen since elementary school. He was a year under me and more of an acquaintance than friend. He has grown to be a very handsome guy, well accomplished and he may be single. When it was time to leave he made his way from across the room to give me a hug and say goodbye. He said I'm sure our paths will cross again. Clueless me said "yeah maybe" not thinking maybe I should give him my contact info in case he's interested. I hear yt guys aren't very bold when it comes to making a move interacially. He has facebook but I'm deactivated and I told him. Would it be too bold to log in and send a short great seeing you and here's my info if you would like to keep in touch message and log back out? He seemed so genuinely nice, we talked for a pretty long time, and I'd hate to let a potential opportunity go. I've never dated out of my race but I have had plenty of crushes.

I know this reply is super duper late, but did you reactivate your Facebook to message him?

In interest of expanding my dating pool, I went out on my first date with a white guy. I was a bit nervous in the beginning of the date, but he made me feel comfortable. I didn't notice anyone starring, and he didn't care. lol

I was a little taken a back because he was very attentive and gave me lots of compliments. His attention was focused on me the entire time.. It was a nice feeling. I think he was more into me, but he treated me so well I'll go out again with him.

I say go out with him again!!! :yep: If he asks you for another date, why not? Idk, maybe it was just how I was raised, but I've ALWAYS been an "Equal Opportunity Dater" lol. :lachen: As long as you treat me right, we click, you're respectful, and you have a good head on your shoulders, I will give you a chance to take me out on a date. :yep:

At the end of the day, USUALLY a man is a man is a man is a man...

I will say however, that I did notice in my past dating of wm, they DO seem to be more attentive.....:yep: And usually most of them won't even think about having you pay, or go "dutch" for your meal. I liked it actually....:look:

Go out with him again and report back! :grin: :grin:

@TrulyBlessed
Haha...yea I think you may have missed the subtle sign there.... :lol: I mean, at that point you could have just said casually, "yea sure, if you're ever in town again feel free to look me up". THEN, if he's interested he would have said: "Well, maybe I can get your number now?" If he WASN'T all that interested and was just being "Friendly", he would have just smiled and said "okay sure!" (as in "let's do lunch!") in order to just be polite and save face. But "yeah maybe" didn't really sound like you wanted to see him again lol :lachen:

I'm not sure about the whole FB thing...but only YOU know what you felt since you were the only one that was with him in person. If you REALLY got a good vibe from him and could sense that he might have been interested/attracted, then maybe a quick fb note would be cool (maybe something having to do with the reception you both attended). Something light-hearted/funny. If he's interested, you'll know. :yep:

I must add this....While I'm defintely an advocate of BW opening themselves up and expanding their horizons to let men of other races show them some love, deep in my heart I am STILL a "Rules Girl" at the core, so while yes, wm ARE generally a little more low-key/subtle in general about showing interest (especially in IR), I still whole-heartedly believe that we as women should let the man take the lead, whether he's black, white, brown, tan, yellow, or red. :look: So, I think you can kind of gauge sometimes when someone's into you and when they aren't. But just being light-hearted and open to EVERYONE will automatically keep you in the feminine position (of being pursued), but also in the OPEN position to attract all men(no matter what race/culture) who find you interesting/attractive. :yep:

I'm from SoCal and dated a lot of Latino men. It was usually a friend-of-a-friend situation. Now that I think about it, most were second or third generation.

@sgold04
Hmmmm....really??? Were you in the OC area?? :look: Because I feel like OC is a totally different ball-game/universe sometimes compared to the rest of SoCal lol :lol:

Last edited:

I must add this....While I'm defintely an advocate of BW opening themselves up and expanding their horizons to let men of other races show them some love, deep in my heart I am STILL a "Rules Girl" at the core, so while yes, wm ARE generally a little more low-key/subtle in general about showing interest (especially in IR), I still whole-heartedly believe that we as women should let the man take the lead, whether he's black, white, brown, tan, yellow, or red. :look: So, I think you can kind of gauge sometimes when someone's into you and when they aren't. But just being light-hearted and open to EVERYONE will automatically keep you in the feminine position (of being pursued), but also in the OPEN position to attract all men(no matter what race/culture) who find you interesting/attractive. :yep: ...............

I want to focus on this paragraph right here for the moment.
THIS has been my most difficult issue.
Appearing open to everyone.
I am known to smile a lot.
But for some reason I do not get approached by the guys I am attracted to.

Honestly, I am more shy, nervous and serious around guys I am attracted to.
In fact I attract and date just the opposite of what I want.

How do I appear more open to these guys?
One White guy I was attracted to didn't utter a hello but said hello to the Black guy standing in front of me. :perplexed::help:

I want to focus on this paragraph right here for the moment.
THIS has been my most difficult issue.
Appearing open to everyone.
I am known to smile a lot.
But for some reason I do not get approached by the guys I am attracted to.

Honestly, I am more shy, nervous and serious around guys I am attracted to.
In fact I attract and date just the opposite of what I want.

How do I appear more open to these guys?
One White guy I was attracted to didn't utter a hello but said hello to the Black guy standing in front of me. :perplexed::help:

@CurlyMoo

You basically answered your own question with what you quoted (in bold) above. :yep:

The reason why I know this is because I usually have the same problem (attracting guys I'm NOT interested in, and not attracting those I AM interested in). I am usually the SAME way. And let's face it, men don't usually like girls who are overly shy, NERVOUS and SERIOUS around them lol. They usually like outgoing, FUN, HAPPY women right?? It took some time, but it finally dawned on me that the guys I actually WERE interested in were getting a different "me" than the guys I weren't into. That was the only difference! I was super relaxed, easy-going and friendly with the guys I WEREN'T interested/invested in.

The solution?
1) Pay close attention to how you act around guys you're NOT interested in (or usually attract), and compare it with how you usually act around guys you ARE attracted to. Really NOTICE that difference. FEEL how you feel inside/outside/how you act, walk, talk, behave, stand, etc.

2) This is going to get deep, but you have ask yourself WHY it is that you tend to change/act differently around guys you ARE interested in as opposed to the guys you aren't interested in. For me personally, it was a deep sense of fear/anxiety and fear of rejection holding me back. Once I started working on that, I started noticing that more guys (even the guys I thought were cute) were starting to notice and respond more favorably toward me. :yep:

3) Lastly, all you really have to do is start being OPEN to EVERYONE PERIOD. Being open and friendly towards EVERYONE (regardless of who they are, regardless of race/nationality, etct) will automatically make you more approachable to MANY guys...including the ones you're actually into. :yep: Also, I think this will help you be able to just be yourself (no matter the situation) and guys will like it. Almost like the "treat the guys that you LIKE like the ones you DON'T like mentality. :grinwink:

It took me a long time to realize that one of the most ATTRACTIVE things to a man is a woman who can just be naturally HERSELF around him....it displays confidence and happiness with oneself. :yep: When a woman clams up or acts overly nervous/different around him, even though you THINK he can't tell, I think subconsciously men can tell. :ohwell: Couple that with the feeling of a woman caring too much about what he thinks of her, it can become a turn-off subsconciously.... I think this is the reason why some women always wonder why they attract more guys that they don't like lol. :lol: When you DON'T like someone, you can be completely yourself, and you're not acting like you care about them, you don't need their approval, you don't care if they even talk to you lol , etc :lol: .

HTH

I say go out with him again!!! :yep: If he asks you for another date, why not? Idk, maybe it was just how I was raised, but I've ALWAYS been an "Equal Opportunity Dater" lol. :lachen: As long as you treat me right, we click, you're respectful, and you have a good head on your shoulders, I will give you a chance to take me out on a date. :yep:

At the end of the day, USUALLY a man is a man is a man is a man...

I will say however, that I did notice in my past dating of wm, they DO seem to be more attentive.....:yep: And usually most of them won't even think about having you pay, or go "dutch" for your meal. I liked it actually....:look:

Go out with him again and report back! :grin: :grin:

@TrulyBlessed
Haha...yea I think you may have missed the subtle sign there.... :lol: I mean, at that point you could have just said casually, "yea sure, if you're ever in town again feel free to look me up". THEN, if he's interested he would have said: "Well, maybe I can get your number now?" If he WASN'T all that interested and was just being "Friendly", he would have just smiled and said "okay sure!" (as in "let's do lunch!") in order to just be polite and save face. But "yeah maybe" didn't really sound like you wanted to see him again lol :lachen:

I'm not sure about the whole FB thing...but only YOU know what you felt since you were the only one that was with him in person. If you REALLY got a good vibe from him and could sense that he might have been interested/attracted, then maybe a quick fb note would be cool (maybe something having to do with the reception you both attended). Something light-hearted/funny. If he's interested, you'll know. :yep:

I must add this....While I'm defintely an advocate of BW opening themselves up and expanding their horizons to let men of other races show them some love, deep in my heart I am STILL a "Rules Girl" at the core, so while yes, wm ARE generally a little more low-key/subtle in general about showing interest (especially in IR), I still whole-heartedly believe that we as women should let the man take the lead, whether he's black, white, brown, tan, yellow, or red. :look: So, I think you can kind of gauge sometimes when someone's into you and when they aren't. But just being light-hearted and open to EVERYONE will automatically keep you in the feminine position (of being pursued), but also in the OPEN position to attract all men(no matter what race/culture) who find you interesting/attractive. :yep:

@sgold04
Hmmmm....really??? Were you in the OC area?? :look: Because I feel like OC is a totally different ball-game/universe sometimes compared to the rest of SoCal lol :lol:

Giiiiiiirl, I didn't know you were in the OC! Yes, it is a completely different ball game out there. I grew up about 20-25 minutes from the OC border and other than Disneyland, I think I went out there twice my whole life lol, each time for a chunti house party. I grew up immersed in Chicano culture and I speak Spanish, so I could easily relate to the Latino guys I dated (they were all of Mexican descent), and these guys also grew up around a lot of black folks in their respective neighborhoods in LA or the South Bay area so they could relate to my folks as well.

Giiiiiiirl, I didn't know you were in the OC! Yes, it is a completely different ball game out there. I grew up about 20-25 minutes from the OC border and other than Disneyland, I think I went out there twice my whole life lol, each time for a chunti house party. I grew up immersed in Chicano culture and I speak Spanish, so I could easily relate to the Latino guys I dated (they were all of Mexican descent), and these guys also grew up around a lot of black folks in their respective neighborhoods in LA or the South Bay area so they could relate to my folks as well.

@sgold04

Yea girl! I'm in the OC lol. So you know what I'm talking about? :lol: I honestly think that black and hispanic culture mixes well, but it seems like there is tension here between blacks and hispanics, which is something I never really sensed over on the East Coast. I'm not saying that there have been any "incidences" or anything like that (far from it), but it just seems like the guys in GENERAL in the OC don't know what to do when they see a black woman lol. :lol: I know we're a rarity here lol..... :giggle:

Maybe it's just my imagination?? :look:

I think BW/AM couples are starting to pick up in the Bay Area. BW in IRRs is nothing new but they're mostly with WM. Last week my mom told me while she was getting some gas she saw two couples walk past her, two AM with two BW and at first she thought they were just friends but they got all lovey-dovey with each other lol.

I went to pick up some food to go today and while I'm waiting in line I see a little boy that looked 100% Indian at first glance with a Indian man. He then walked to an BW who picked the child up. Clueless me didn't put it together then because an Indian woman comes along saying it's 20 minutes until they can get a table. I thought the BW was a friend or something. But then the Indian man and BW both start tending to the little boy trying to keep him occupied. He couldn't have been more than 2 years old lol. When I was leaving the little boy almost ran into me and his mom had to move him out of the way.

I think BW/AM couples are starting to pick up in the Bay Area. BW in IRRs is nothing new but they're mostly with WM. Last week my mom told me while she was getting some gas she saw two couples walk past her, two AM with two BW and at first she thought they were just friends but they got all lovey-dovey with each other lol.

I went to pick up some food to go today and while I'm waiting in line I see a little boy that looked 100% Indian at first glance with a Indian man. He then walked to an BW who picked the child up. Clueless me didn't put it together then because an Indian woman comes along saying it's 20 minutes until they can get a table. I thought the BW was a friend or something. But then the Indian man and BW both start tending to the little boy trying to keep him occupied. He couldn't have been more than 2 years old lol. When I was leaving the little boy almost ran into me and his mom had to move him out of the way.
I agree. Been seeing them more myself. Matter of fact, in Oakland today I peeped a Asian and black lesbian pair :look:

I agree. Been seeing them more myself. Matter of fact, in Oakland today I peeped a Asian and black lesbian pair :look:
You guys too?! I thought it was just a fluke or something!

Huh. I wonder why though.

What I also noticed is ot seems to be the youngins. 20s. Haven't seen any in my age group. 40s. Though i have bern chatted up a cpl times by Asian men the last couple years when before it was zero notice by them.

well u know a lot of these dudes out here looking for other. And aw mostly checking for wm. So maybe Asian dudes finally saying **** it. Try something new. :look:

Ok, so it's not just me lol. This is good. I'm noticing more Asian men giving me googly eyes. :look: They are in their 20s. Downside for me is I'm in my late 20s but I look barely legal. Most of the guys are in their early/mid-20s. Anyway I was at a networking event a couple weeks ago and this Asian guy was staring me the. whole. time. From the time I walked in until I left, and he was the last person I spoke to. And in an extra class I took last fall to supplement my MA an Asian classmate was flirting with me toward the end. We had some great conversations too. I met a totally cute Afghan guy at a friend's birthday party a while back and I kinda wonder if we'd spent more time together would we have dated.

I'm not surprised at the uptick of AM interested in BW but I am surprised BW are reciprocating. When I lived with my Filipino male roommate (who wanted to date me by the time I moved out) he told me some horror stories and in college some Asian guys were said they encountered some BW they were attracted to but got a negative response. I'm glad BW are changing their tune. I'm not trying to turn this into a bashing BM thread but it seems every BM here is with a non-BW and until recently I only saw BW with WM. I'm glad more BW being open.

Now if I can find a man of my own lol.:look:

Last edited:
Ok, so it's not just me lol. This is good. I'm noticing more Asian men giving me googly eyes. :look: They are in their 20s. Downside for me is I'm in my late 20s but I look barely legal. Most of the guys are in their early/mid-20s. Anyway I was at a networking event a couple weeks ago and this Asian guy was staring me the. whole. time. From the time I walked in until I left, and he was the last person I spoke to. And in an extra class I took last fall to supplement my MA an Asian classmate was flirting with me toward the end. We had some great conversations too. I met a totally cute Afghan guy at a friend's birthday party a while back and I kinda wonder if we'd spent more time together would we have dated.

I'm not surprised at the uptick of AM interested in BW but I am surprised BW are reciprocating. When I lived with my Filipino male roommate (who wanted to date me by the time I moved out) he told me some horror stories and in college some Asian guys were said they encountered some BW they were attracted to but got a negative response. I don't really care why it's happening, I'm just glad it is. :p I'm not trying to turn this into a bashing BM thread but it seems every BM here is with a non-BW and until recently I only saw BW with WM. I'm glad more BW being open.

Now if I can find a man of my own lol.:look:
Don't take my curiosity as being negative lol. I like men. Purple, green, whatever. I was just wondering if there was some economic/political etc behind the uptick in AM/BW couples. As you said, I'm glad BW are being more open. Maybe those never married stats can come down a bit lol.

I already know what's in my way of "finding a man." But I'm too busy trying to make sure I'm ok financially to deal with it.

Don't take my curiosity as being negative lol. I like men. Purple, green, whatever. I was just wondering if there was some economic/political etc behind the uptick in AM/BW couples. As you said, I'm glad BW are being more open. Maybe those never married stats can come down a bit lol.

I already know what's in my way of "finding a man." But I'm too busy trying to make sure I'm ok financially to deal with it.
Oh no I didn't take it as negative lol. But you mentioning the political/economic got me thinking BW and AM are the most educated groups in the country. Maybe this is our form of "assortative mating" lol :ohwell: (hate that term).

Oh no I didn't take it as negative lol. But you mentioning the political/economic got me thinking BW and AM are the most educated groups in the country. Maybe this is our form of "assortative mating" :look: (hate that term).
I concur.
Wasn't it said in one of those threads on the OKCupid findings that since Black women and Asian men were the least desirable that they should hook up? I hate the whole premise but it does make sense in a way.

I concur.
Wasn't it said in one of those threads on the OKCupid findings that since Black women and Asian men were the least desirable that they should hook up? I hate the whole premise but it does make sense in a way.
Yeah that's the theory but I don't like the idea of BW/AM getting together based on that. I'd rather it be because we share the same values, interests etc. The AM or man of any race I've liked/had a connection with was always based on common interests. That's what I hope this Blasian/Blindian uptick comes from--people realizing you can have shared values/interests with someone not of your same skin color or culture.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the theory but I don't like the idea of BW/AM getting together based on that. I'd rather it be because we share the same values, interests etc. AM or man of any race I've liked/had a connection with it was always based on common interests. That's what I hope this Blasian/Blindian uptick comes from--people realizing you can have shared values/interests with someone not of your same skin color or culture.
Word! Me too.

I think I knew more Pacific Islander male/ BF couples in real life than Korean/Chinese/Japanese Asian men coupled with us. I was really surprised by how Filipinos have absolutely no problem pursuing, marrying and having families with us. Maybe it was just the area where I lived at the time (Vegas).

My cousin is married to an AM and they're both engineers. They're in their 30's and are a very cute couple. He's Korean. Young AM have always flirted with me but they don't know that I'm as old as I am. lol

ETA: I was an EO dater but I've never dated an AM.

Back