In search of a hair style or I'm going to relax...

dlove

I am all natural, have 6 inches of hair in my nape area, 3-1/2 inches in the crown and 4 1/2 inches on the sides and bangs. With this major shrinkage problem, I hate wearing my natural hair out. I am 39 years old- too old to be wearing plaits and afro puffs. Besides, I can't smooth my short hair into a pony tail. I dont like weave, it itches my scalp and irritates my skin. I had my hair straightened with the flat iron, but it reverted back in two days:perplexed. I cant afford to go every week.

Any suggestions?

braidouts and twistouts!

two-strand twists!

phony pony!

band that sucker up and stretch those curls if you can!

cornrows and flat twists are cute as well!

With this major shrinkage problem, I hate wearing my natural hair out. I am 39 years old- too old to be wearing plaits and afro puffs.

Before I started to lock my hair, I would band my hair to stretch it out. I'm 37 and had no problem wearing an afro puff (just one though :lol:)

braidouts and twistouts!

two-strand twists!

phony pony!

band that sucker up and stretch those curls if you can!

cornrows and flat twists are cute as well!

I agree, good suggestions!

Fingercurls are also age-appropriate. When my hair was your length I wore the style for 2 years straight because it was easy to do and the style would last a week without having to re-do, except to spritz the flattened twists and redo those. The good thing about fingercurls is that the older they get, the better they look :yep:.

I opted for using half wigs to grow my hair out. I just kept my natural hair twisted or braided underneath and it worked very well for me.

I agree with all the suggestions so far! You mentioned that you can not pull your hair into a pony tail, but I think that you could by using a generous amount of gel on wet hair.

I have the same issue, uneven growth and uneven shrinkage (3 different textures). Braid/twist-outs is about it. If you really want to stay natural I would keep it twisted, conditioned & moist under a pretty wig until it grows out to a length that will allow you do more things with it. Good luck.

my hair is just a bit longer than 6.5" and 5.5" in the nape and sides and I can put it in a pony..... but I understand what you're saying. The ladies suggested some good styles to tide you over. I'm battling the same issue myself...... I'm trying to hold out till December before I make any drastic decisions.

I like to embrace the shrinkage, and rock wash n' gos. :grin:

But if you're not down with shrinkage, you could wash and condition, air-dry in big braids/twists overnight, then blow-dry the hair in the morning ( I do it on high w/ cool air) to stretch it. If your hair can handle it, use the comb attachment. I use my Denman, because my hair hates the comb attachment.

This way, you get some length, and you can pull your hair into a nice sized ponytail, or bun it up.

How are finger curls done? What do they look like? Is there a tutorial? I am in the same situation that dlove is in.....I am just about at the end of my rope with my natural hair. :wallbash:

I do love my hair because it is so healthy but.....styling is a big problem for me too.

Thanks in advance for your help

It sounds like you're at that weird inbetween stage. I agree with braid outs/twist outs. I've worn braids and weaves most of the time to keep my mind off of not being able to do anything with my hair until it grows out.

Oy, what do you mean you're 39 and too old to be rocking plaits and afro puffs? Uhmm...I'm about your age and would rock them in a heartbeat. In fact, that's all I was rocking when I got my unscheduled BC.

One, two, three...and I got lots of compliments at work and at home. And whenever I get out of my braids, that's just what I'll be rocking.

In fact, unless you decide to get a stylish cut that you can wear as an afro or wash and go, I think plaits (singles with extension or cornrows) are the only way--apart from wearing wigs--that I can think of since the hair isn't even. If I were you, I'd keep the crown and sides braided and wear a puff in the back since the hair back there is long and can probably afford to be manipulated daily, while the shorter hair needs to be left alone to grow. If you really do not want to wear your hair out in plaits, then find a wig and wear it over your plaited hair so that it grows with little fuss. Then when you have a length you can work with, you can then try out the styles you now wish you could do.

You might try a style similar to this. The bun is secured with a comb.
FlattwistedBun023.jpg

Rayej, if you go to youtube.com and type fingerwaves into the searchbox i believe they have some tutorials...HTH

Oy, what do you mean you're 39 and too old to be rocking plaits and afro puffs? Uhmm...I'm about your age and would rock them in a heartbeat. In fact, that's all I was rocking when I got my unscheduled BC.

One, two, three...and I got lots of compliments at work and at home. And whenever I get out of my braids, that's just what I'll be rocking.

In fact, unless you decide to get a stylish cut that you can wear as an afro or wash and go, I think plaits (singles with extension or cornrows) are the only way--apart from wearing wigs--that I can think of since the hair isn't even. If I were you, I'd keep the crown and sides braided and wear a puff in the back since the hair back there is long and can probably afford to be manipulated daily, while the shorter hair needs to be left alone to grow. If you really do not want to wear your hair out in plaits, then find a wig and wear it over your plaited hair so that it grows with little fuss. Then when you have a length you can work with, you can then try out the styles you now wish you could do.

This a great idea and how I wear my hair sometimes. I agree with the other ladies about wigs, cornrows with extensions, or kinky twists. Those are great protective styles.

How are finger curls done? What do they look like? Is there a tutorial? I am in the same situation that dlove is in.....I am just about at the end of my rope with my natural hair. :wallbash:

I do love my hair because it is so healthy but.....styling is a big problem for me too.

Thanks in advance for your help

Honeycomb who posted the finger curls suggestion posted a tutorial I believe. It didn't work on my hair though.

Back