I'm no longer gonna spend a DIME on growth aides?

RegaLady

Okay I really don't want to bash growth aides or anyone who uses them, but I am going to be honest. I have jumped on the BT and MT bandwagon, and I can say I still have bottles of this stuff left in them. What am I doing wrong? My hair is still growing, but at it's normal rate, no increase or anything. I don't think I will be jumping on anything as far as growth aides are concerned, anymore. Is anyone feeling like this?:ohwell: I do know moisterizing and PS have worked for me, and I will use these aides up, because I spent money on them. But no more money going to them anymore!:nono:

Okay I really don't want to bash growth aides or anyone who uses them, but I am going to be honest. I have jumped on the BT and MT bandwagon, and I can say I still have bottles of this stuff left in them. What am I doing wrong? My hair is still growing, but at it's normal rate, no increase or anything. I don't think I will be jumping on anything as far as growth aides are concerned, anymore. Is anyone feeling like this?:ohwell: I do know moisterizing and PS have worked for me, and I will use these aides up, because I spent money on them. But no more money going to them anymore!:nono:

I'm about to jump on this with you. I've tried Surge, Sulu Max Gro, and EOs. None gave me noticeable growth improvement. I'm about to start week 4 of MT, and I haven't had the SUPER growth that I've seen many have. My hair seems to be growing its usual rate.

So, I'll give MT a full 2 months before I throw in the towel on growth aides together. Besides, length retention is where it's at. :grinwink:

Last edited:
That's too bad!

Maybe try using a WHOLE bottle up... a lot of things need time to work.

I'm sure your hair will grow great either way though :yep:

I've never jumped on the growth aide bandwagon. I've always believed that if you treated your hair well by protected your ends, less manipulating, less heat, then you're going to get the growth.

Redliz81, you are not alone. I am going to switch to using ayurvedic products just to promote healthy hair but not necessarily for an increased growth rate. My hair does grow as well, I just have to take care of what I have and show it much more attention than I have in the past in order for it to start growing long and healthy.

However, I have noted that Surge Revitalizer 14 did give me a great growth increase, which is why I purchased a few bottles off of Ebay recently. Mega-Tek and Ovation made me shed entirely too much for me to bear.:sad: I just started to use Bee Mine so we will see how that goes. Bottom line is that I am no longer looking for miracles just products that soften and strengthen my new growth and the hair I presently have on my head.

Happy growing ladies!!!!!:grin:

Soooo, with that in mind, how much you sellin' that bottle of MT for??

How long have u been using MT? I just got a big spurt after a month of use. I was using it every OTHER day on scalp mixed w/ oils...You gotta be patient with some of these things. Some say give it 6 weeks to 90 days to see a true difference.

Like OP said, try using the bottle up. I paid enough for it, i'm using that MT up whether it works even better or not.

I agree with Honeycomb - your hair doesn't stop growing. The trick is maintaining it without it breaking off before you can see length.

I've found that for the most part growth aids are really just extenders. They extend the length of time a hair strand stays in the head before naturally shedding or is broken.

I use Ovation and what it does is smooths and strengthens the hair strand so that it doesn't break prematurely. That's all.

I think the OP is discouraged because she expects the product to grow hair versus extending the growing phase or strengthing the hair to reduce breakage.

I agree with Honeycomb - your hair doesn't stop growing. The trick is maintaining it without it breaking off before you can see length.

I've found that for the most part growth aids are really just extenders. They extend the length of time a hair strand stays in the head before naturally shedding or is broken.

I use Ovation and what it does is smooths and strengthens the hair strand so that it doesn't break prematurely. That's all.

I think the OP is discouraged because she expects the product to grow hair versus extending the growing phase or strengthing the hair to reduce breakage.

Yup, and i'm tired of folks complaining about growth aides aint working for them after 1-2 weeks of use.

Length wise, my hair still looks the same. But i got a mass of NG that is unstretched. To me, I'm retaining. So when i get my relaxer bone straight, i'll finally see the results.

As long as i see that mossy NG, and less hair in my comb, then i know i'm alright.

Yup, and i'm tired of folks complaining about growth aides aint working for them after 1-2 weeks of use.

Length wise, my hair still looks the same. But i got a mass of NG that is unstretched. To me, I'm retaining. So when i get my relaxer bone straight, i'll finally see the results.

As long as i see that mossy NG, and less hair in my comb, then i know i'm alright.

Alot of people expect to see instant results...it's not gonna happen that way.

It takes AT LEAST a month before you may notice anything different about your hair's lenght...and even then, it's probably due to you retaining more, less breakage, etc, not necesaarily off the charts growth.

It takes AT LEAST a month before you may notice anything different about your hair's lenght...and even then, it's probably due to you retaining more, less breakage, etc, not necesaarily off the charts growth.

:yep: That is the biggest misconception people make about growth aides. The emphasis should be on the aide part and not the growth.

Same thing with Wild Growth Oil (WGO).

Some people think the name of the product implies growth. However, the product name simply refers to "Wild Growth" as a definition for hair.

That's all!

Wild Growth Oil is simply a hair oil which has ingredients that sooth and smooth the hair cuticle which in turn extends the hair growth phase reducing breakage.

Remember OP, patience is the key with CONSISTENT use - months of of consistent use, not a few weeks.

Redliz81, you are not alone. I am going to switch to using ayurvedic products just to promote healthy hair but not necessarily for an increased growth rate. My hair does grow as well, I just have to take care of what I have and show it much more attention than I have in the past in order for it to start growing long and healthy.

However, I have noted that Surge Revitalizer 14 did give me a great growth increase, which is why I purchased a few bottles off of Ebay recently. Mega-Tek and Ovation made me shed entirely too much for me to bear.:sad: I just started to use Bee Mine so we will see how that goes. Bottom line is that I am no longer looking for miracles just products that soften and strengthen my new growth and the hair I presently have on my head.

Happy growing ladies!!!!!:grin:

I am 'going Ayurvedic' starting today. I know MT works though. It's just that I now desire healthy, moisturized, thicker hair overall, so I'm not focusing on length as much anymore. I will probably continue to use my MT though as back up because unlike most people who have been using it, my hair hardly sheds at all since I've started using it :yep:

Just as january noir said, it really does help to keep the hair in your head. I noticed last night that the bulb on the 30 or so shed hairs (after not detangling for days) I got was so thick, as was the hair!

I understand that I have to finish a bottle before I see much growth. However, than why am I taking it? To be honest, I have worn braids, and my hair grows the same rate without it. I could finish the bottle and wait 2 months, but honestly, if I wait two months in braids without growth aides, I would get the same results. Now, I figured the purpose of growth aides would be to gain much growth in a small amount of time.:look: I mean, if I have to wait two months for something to work, than I might as well do without it. Hair grows regardless, and even in two months, it will get a spurt.:ohwell: I know I may get slack for this. And for a long time, I was TEAM growth aides, but I don't think I am a believer anymore!:perplexed

I understand that I have to finish a bottle before I see much growth. However, than why am I taking it? To be honest, I have worn braids, and my hair grows the same rate without it. I could finish the bottle and wait 2 months, but honestly, if I wait two months in braids without growth aides, I would get the same results. Now, I figured the purpose of growth aides would be to gain much growth in a small amount of time.:look: I mean, if I have to wait two months for something to work, than I might as well do without it. Hair grows regardless, and even in two months, it will get a spurt.:ohwell: I know I may get slack for this. And for a long time, I was TEAM growth aides, but I don't think I am a believer anymore!:perplexed

Again, I think your expectation of what a growth aide does is a misunderstanding.

It seems you have no problem growing and retaining length so that may be why you are not seeing anything different.

Usually people who use aides have a problem retaining length.

Again, I think your expectation of what a growth aide does is a misunderstanding.

It seems you have no problem growing and retaining length so that may be why you are not seeing anything different.

Usually people who use aides have a problem retaining length.[/quote]
Okay, see I did not know that!:grin: I really thought they were used to 'speed up' the growth process. My hair grows on the slower side(1/4inch a month), so that is why I wanted to speed it up. Retaining length is not an issue, as long as I keep my hair in some PS and moisturize it.
I am not trying to attack them, I just didn't benefit from them as much as I thought I would. :ohwell:

I definitely think growth aides are unnecessary. I've never used them. Take a look at most featured members of the month. You'll notice the same thing over and over...good diet, consistant hair regimen, and techniques that promote growth/length retention. Focus on that, while exercising a little patience and you'll be at your desired length in no time.

This is the problem as to black women can't retain length. High expectations of growth and a misunderstanding like JANUARY said.

And how do you even know if you wouldve gotten the same growth? Did u use a ruler before and a ruler now? What is your basis for comparison? What are you using as a baseline?

I have a picture of my NG at 13 weeks BEFORE using MT and i can take a picture NOW at 13 weeks post and have a comparison. How do you know by sight that your hair isnt growing fast enough?

And why so impatient about waiting two months? You can wait 9 months to have a baby, when the doc gives you medicine, you make sure you follow his orders and wait 7 days or whenever for the medicine to kick in....are you just an impatient person Period or is it just for your hair?

Why are black women so impatient when it comes to their hair?

Usually people who use aides have a problem retaining length.[/quote]
Okay, see I did not know that!:grin: I really thought they were used to 'speed up' the growth process. My hair grows on the slower side(1/4inch a month), so that is why I wanted to speed it up. Retaining length is not an issue, as long as I keep my hair in some PS and moisturize it.
I am not trying to attack them, I just didn't benefit from them as much as I thought I would. :ohwell:

Yes, people do use it to speed up growth, but the reality is that no growth aide can speed growth, though they claim it.

A growth aide helps you retain your hair. Retaining eventually will appear as more growth, faster. Get it?

This is the problem as to black women can't retain length. High expectations of growth and a misunderstanding like JANUARY said.

And how do you even know if you wouldve gotten the same growth? Did u use a ruler before and a ruler now? What is your basis for comparison? What are you using as a baseline?

I have a picture of my NG at 13 weeks BEFORE using MT and i can take a picture NOW at 13 weeks post and have a comparison. How do you know by sight that your hair isnt growing fast enough?

And why so impatient about waiting two months? You can wait 9 months to have a baby, when the doc gives you medicine, you make sure you follow his orders and wait 7 days or whenever for the medicine to kick in....are you just an impatient person Period or is it just for your hair?

Why are black women so impatient when it comes to their hair?

I agree...patience is the key. It really is. I think any sound regimen will work is practiced consistently over at least 6 months. Results usually show within 2-3. I think because the results aren't as drastic as some people hoped, they give up. DON'T GIVE UP LADIES....LOL!!!

This is Ot, Tootrendy, your comic strip on the bottom of your post is hilarious:lachen:very original did you put that together?

if you are impatient and want to see accelerated growth results after just a few applications - then growth aides aren't for you.

IF you choose to use them DO NOT expect to the same results as someone else - unless you are using it on THEIR hair :) and give them AT LEAST 30-45 applications to see results. you can't expect to use the product once a week in 30 days (or 4 times in a month) and expect to see results. AND a watched pot of water never boils. so, let your hair do its thing.

many things affect growth rate (whether you use growth aides or not). diet, genetics, climate and environmental factors - just to name a few - all have some influence on a person's growth rate. and that doesn't even include obvious things like moisture/protein balance and manipulation...

consistency is KEY (and so is commitment, patience and TIME)

This is Ot, Tootrendy, your comic strip on the bottom of your post is hilarious:lachen:very original did you put that together?

I wish I came up with the idea, but I didn't. I got these from my braider's website. The person who did this, LV Burns, has her own comic strip book called Val & Nadine. She resides here in Memphis :yep: She has her own blog too. http://valandnadine.blogspot.com/ I read the whole thing. Every single comic strip is too funny!

I agree with the others. You have to be patient. After one month of using MT, I was wonder why I didn't get the "miracle" growth result that some of the ladies got. I was being impatient but I noticed that my hair has gotten thicker and stronger. I'm also "retaining" more so I'm sure the growth spurt will come soon. Don't give up on it yet.

I love it!:lachen::lachen:

I also want to add that growth aids are more about improving the quality of your hair more so than making your scalp churn out 5 inches in a month. Wild Growth oil, MT, Moe Growth oil etc.... these things can have a stimulating effect on the scalp but the also improve the condition of your hair. Making it stronger, softer, healthier, there by improving the growth in terms of possible length retention for the year. This is why just about everyone using MT/Ovation, has noticed improved strength, thickness, and luster in their hair whether or not they felt they got a growth spurt.

Anything that is stimulating your scalp is just helping you maximize your genetic growth potential by improving the growth conditions on your scalp. This is why not everything works for everyone and why some people respond faster than others to things. Our bodies are all different and we all respond to different stimulus.

I also want to add that growth aids are more about improving the quality of your hair more so than making your scalp churn out 5 inches in a month. Wild Growth oil, MT, Moe Growth oil etc.... these things can have a stimulating effect on the scalp but the also improve the condition of your hair. Making it stronger, softer, healthier, there by improving the growth in terms of possible length retention for the year. This is why just about everyone using MT/Ovation, has noticed improved strength, thickness, and luster in their hair whether or not they felt they got a growth spurt.

Anything that is stimulating your scalp is just helping you maximize your genetic growth potential by improving the growth conditions on your scalp. This is why not everything works for everyone and why some people respond faster than others to things. Our bodies are all different and we all respond to different stimulus.
:yep:
Yup, exactly what Gym said!

:look:

If you don't like the results you're getting on your head, then don't use it. :lol: It's really as simple as that. I certainly hope that it's not skin off of anyone's nose who does use it (and gets the results they are looking for) that it doesn't work for everyone. *shrug*

For me, personally, my growth rate has definitely increased. I know how fast my hair used to grow (from the roots) because I grew out dye for a little over a year, and I could clearly see the 'NG' line. When I use MT consistently, I get two to three times more growth...... but not everyone has the same results, and that's totally fine by me. ;) Maybe that'll just mean Eqyss will take longer to hike up the price. :lol:
My retention rate has also increased - in the fact that I can wear my hair in slightly less protective styles, and not get as much breakage as I used to get.

I'm sure if you post the MT on the swap board, it'll get snatched up right quick!! :lol:

And good luck in your future hair growing experiences..... :yep:

:look:

If you don't like the results you're getting on your head, then don't use it. :lol: It's really as simple as that. I certainly hope that it's not skin off of anyone's nose who does use it (and gets the results they are looking for) that it doesn't work for everyone. *shrug*

For me, personally, my growth rate has definitely increased. I know how fast my hair used to grow (from the roots) because I grew out dye for a little over a year, and I could clearly see the 'NG' line. When I use MT consistently, I get two to three times more growth...... but not everyone has the same results, and that's totally fine by me. ;) Maybe that'll just mean Eqyss will take longer to hike up the price. :lol:
My retention rate has also increased - in the fact that I can wear my hair in slightly less protective styles, and not get as much breakage as I used to get.

I'm sure if you post the MT on the swap board, it'll get snatched up right quick!! :lol:

And good luck in your future hair growing experiences..... :yep:

:lachen::lachen:

I. Agree with everything you said

I love MT just for the simple fact that it controls my breakage issues tremendously. If I can get that under control, growth will come...

Why are black women so impatient when it comes to their
hair?

Exactly the reason why I bought the growth aide and started using it!:rolleyes::lachen:
I think if there was a pill to make our hair grow faster, we would take it. I know I would. I may have had the wrong misconceptions about growth aides. Again, I am by no means trying to discourage ladies from using it. But look at the threads. Since I have been here, we had just got off the MTG bandwagon, and everyone started using BT. The no more posts about BT, now everyone is on MT/OV. I know everything is not for everyone, which is why I can see why people change products. However, I will continue to use it, and see what happens. But, I still will stick to my guns and say NO MORE purchase of new growth aides.:look:

Back