If You Think Fake Hair Makes You Look Beautiful It Doesnt!----

Idk I had a man tell me he prefers weaves and I need to do something to my hair. He had long dreads hanging down his back so I was surprised. He told me I needed braids or something. I was planning to put in yarn braids til he said that, now image let my natural do its thing cause I love it even though summer is killing it.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

Why do people think that ALL women wear weave to make themselves look better? I wear my braids because I want to protect my hair so it can grow, not because I think it makes me look sexy. I'm tired of men thinking women do everything to attract them.

Okayyyyy @ the bolded. I swear this is so true of a lot of men. If you dress a certain way, wear makeu-up, blah, they think you doing it to get attention from other men(if you have a SO), from them, its never that you doing it for yourself. I wonder how they would act if you turned it around on them?

My DH is a natural lover, natural hair, natural face, natural body, ect.(This is because his mother was like this, and his sisters, yet when he met me I was relaxed and wore makeup:ohwell:, so w/e at he dont like it!!:lachen:) He does not like any kind of extension in my head. When I went natural he had a party. Then the other day I wore a phony bun and he almost freaked out. Then I straightened and put it in a pony and he came in and was like ugh there you go with that fake hair. I was like its mines and swished it in his face. :lachen:No comment after that. He thinks when I dress up its to attract him/get the attention of other people (women and men). Men are so clueless about that fact that not all women are attention seekers like some.......:look:

Yet, at the same time they look @ celebs on tv and say comment on things. Ugh you rarely see them dressed down, barefaced, and with their natural hair...........

My point is, I'm tired of men thinking that we are putting on a show for them at all times. Sometimes, we do things because we want to, for ourselves.....ugh!

ETA: I had to come back and mention that I do love my DH. :lachen:But he's a man and at the end of the day somethings that come out of mens mouths just make me :nono: wether its my DH or not.

Last edited:
I think 95% of the weaves I see on black women make them less attractive. I absolutely agree that real hair (natural, relaxed, whatever) looks better than fake hair. If I was a man, I would not date a woman who wore weave.

Actually, it's really the silky weave that looks terrible. Is it supposed to look real? Because it NEVER does. And when your hair is obviously fake, it just looks like you have something to hide/are insecure.

Think about it...what would you think of a black man who wore a toupee made of silky straight hair? :look:

Last edited:
I agree with some of the posters here when they say that while men don't like the idea of weave, they sure do like the look of well-done weave. Unfortunately most men love women with long hair, which can put a lot of black women at a disadvantage (especially those not on LCHF).

A quality weave can simply be a means to get a guy's attention enough for him to get to know you -- not to mention a fun way to add a little variety to your style options without permanent changes to your hair :grin:. Just don't be fronting like it's growing out of your head, or sacrifice the health of your real hair to keep wearing it, especially if you're just trying to get or keep a man with it. It will surely backfire on you eventually.

I don't personally use weave (my scalp and wallet can't take it!), but if I see a sistah with a nicely done 'do that is keeping her real hair healthy in the process, I say swang on with yo' bad *** hair -- you got the receipt for it, so it's all yours, and you can run tell all them that! :yep:

All weave ain't equal. Some women will look rachet with it, and on others it will be an upgrade.

Let's not be silly and pigeon hole ALL weave. The style and the quality of hair makes all the difference.

I can guarantee if they asked the Nigerian man who made that post to name 5 American celebrities that he thinks are beautiful...all 5 will be weaved up.

Truth is...men hate BAD looking weave.

Say it girl. Nothing like a good weave. An enhancement like anything else, thicker hair, longer hair, new color, new style.

Who couldn't look better with the hair they want? As long as its done well its just like regular head of hair.

Everything doesnt have to be about 'what men think', there are plenty of women who share these same opinions, and his (along with the wise young man who let folks know what it was about those wedges) is one I fully agree with. Its not specific to Nigerian women either, of course, most black women look dumb with oddly attached hair which is in a texture that in no way resembles anything they have grown....and nobody EVER knows when they are the one looking dumb, so folks need to let that go.

All weave ain't equal. Some women will look rachet with it, and on others it will be an upgrade.

Let's not be silly and pigeon hole ALL weave. The style and the quality of hair makes all the difference.

I can guarantee if they asked the Nigerian man who made that post to name 5 American celebrities that he thinks are beautiful...all 5 will be weaved up.

The interesting part of that is, there are (virtually) no black american celebrites who wear real hair and has done so for the majority of their career. Its not like they have 5 with and 5 without to choose from. I doubt anybody would think Gabrielle was less attractive because she decided to style her own hair...in fact she would probabaly be moreso. I doubt most people thought Rihanna was less attractive with her jazzy short cut [that made her career], than she is now with that strange red mop.
BW are the ones who decided the wiggery was a necessary evil, for unknown reasons....

The interesting part of that is, there are (virtually) no black american celebrites who wear real hair and has done so for the majority of their career. Its not like they have 5 with and 5 without to choose from. I doubt anybody would think Gabrielle was less attractive because she decided to style her own hair...in fact she would probabaly be moreso. I doubt most people thought Rihanna was less attractive with her jazzy short cut [that made her career], than she is now with that strange red mop.
BW are the ones who decided the wiggery was a necessary evil, for unknown reasons....

Say it!

I look at older black movies sometimes and feel sad because back then, many of them wore their real hair and no matter the length, it looked a whole lot better than what's going on right now.

Look at Nia Long in Love Jones. Dudes were stanning HARD for her in that movie, and she had, what, chin length hair? Or Lela Rochon in Boomerang. All hers, and had dudes falling out. In fact, the only person who wore weave in that movie was Robin Givens, and I remember guys saying how fake she looked.

We set this ridiculous standard, and we need to own it. :yep:

How about wearing your hair in styling that *you* like, instead of worrying about what someone else thinks about it? :look:

It is probably not your hair that attracts others to you. It really doesn't matter if your hair is weaved, short, in a twa, long, or in locks (as long as it's well maintained :yep: ). One's personality/charismatic nature will make others interested.

Hmmm, the only time I wear weaves is as a protective style ever once in awhile. Also, I wear it for short hair styles too, because I don't want to cut my real hair and I don't want to start the growing process over. I don't see nothing wrong with weaves unless your taking care of your hair underneath and not depending on it the rest of your life.

Personally I find that less is more with weaves! If you head is top heavy with a weave it puts a strain on your natural hair leading to breakage. Weaves look great when they are under-stated.

My husbands doesn't hate my weaves, or ps...anymore. Of course he prefers my hair natural so he can run his hands in it or give me a massage. But I don't likethat because that boy snaps my strands off!, lol. He said that sweetest thing last night after I had taken off the wig and the make-up. He said, "My goodness you are beautiful." I blew it off and said, "Yeah, okay. You think so after the hair and make-up is gone, really?" He said, "Those things are accesories, hun. They accentuate what you already have." I thought that was sweet. That being said, it's hot in GA and I will still be wearing this wig because my hair is protected and being pampered underneath. It's how I got it this long and it'show I'll reach my goals.

welllllll... from my experience i'd say most men prefer long hair and are attracted to women w/ realistic looking weaves. would they prefer these women to have actually grown the hair themselves? i'd say yes. if given a choice would the average man prefer to step out w/ a women w/ a realistic looking weave or w/ her own SHORT hair? i'd say the average would prefer the former since they like the look of long hair.

whenever anyone says "men like long hair" there's ALWAYS 5 people who have to say "my man/brother/father" prefers short hair and etc. but c'mon. let's be honest here, video girls and celebs have long flowing locks for a reason. the man in your life who prefers short hair is the exception not the rule.

now that that's said... my point is that many black women find themselves in a conundrum. they know long hair is preferred, but they haven't been able to get it naturally for a slew of valid reasons, mostly ignorance considering what's been done to us. so what do they do? get a weave and get the look that the guys obviously respond to.

it's a sad and vicious cycle but i understand it. that's why i think instead of vilifying the average around the way girl for having a horrid weave, everyone should adopt someone and spread the healthy hair care message so we can start whipping our own hair in droves :yep:

(btw i know some people wear weave as protective style and their hair is looonnng underneath but once again i'm talking about the average not the exception... oh, and i realize some women do whatever they do for themselves not for male attention. but let's just stick to averages and keep the debate interesting).

This right here is the bottom line. :yep: People often pay too much attention to what men SAY rather than what men DO! That goes for more than just hair choices BTW. :lol: Most men like long hair, which is why the majority of celeb women have it. The average black woman can't grow long hair. Ergo, the love-hate for weaves. :lol:

:yep: I've seen some fantastic, real-looking weaves. I pride myself in being one of the best blenders in the game. :lol: When I rock my half wigs you can't tell me it ain't my real hair! :lachen: But some women are downright LAZY with their weaves, which ruins it for most men. Throwing on a headband or letting tracks show ain't the business. :nono:

I like choices and I don't like anyone trying to limit my choices whether it's a sistah or a brotha or anotha. So if next Tuesday I want to wear a weave, leave me alone. And if next Wednesday I want to wear a puff, leave me alone. In other words, just leave me alone. Just my own personal rant.

I would love to see some pics of some cute and natural looking weaves (any volunteers?) because in the real world I have never come across a person with what I would consider 'a good weave'.

I would love to see some pics of some cute and natural looking weaves (any volunteers?) because in the real world I have never come across a person with what I would consider 'a good weave'.

go to bhm. there are plenty over there (along with some hot messes too:lol:)

Ok I'll bite. :lol: I'm going to try and share a few pics to show how well I try to blend. They are from my phone, so if the quality sucks that's why.

The first two pics are my fav "straight" half wig and the second two are my of my fav "curly" half wig. I tried to show pics of my blending, but don't know if you can see it very well. If I find more I'll share. :lol: Most people can only tell it's a weave cuz I like long hair.

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG0073.jpg
    IMAG0073.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG0043-1.jpg
    IMAG0043-1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 145
I think 95% of the weaves I see on black women make them less attractive. I absolutely agree that real hair (natural, relaxed, whatever) looks better than fake hair. If I was a man, I would not date a woman who wore weave.

Actually, it's really the silky weave that looks terrible. Is it supposed to look real? Because it NEVER does. And when your hair is obviously fake, it just looks like you have something to hide/are insecure.

Think about it...what would you think of a black man who wore a toupee made of silky straight hair? :look:

This.
:lol: @ the last sentence
-E

Last edited:
Ok I'll bite. :lol: I'm going to try and share a few pics to show how well I try to blend. They are from my phone, so if the quality sucks that's why.

The first two pics are my fav "straight" half wig and the second two are my of my fav "curly" half wig. I tried to show pics of my blending, but don't know if you can see it very well. If I find more I'll share. :lol: Most people can only tell it's a weave cuz I like long hair.

Cute! I especially like the first pic. OT: Baby girl in your siggy is adorable.:yep:

I have nothing to add to this discussion other than

Last week as I was walking down 125th and seeing all the bad wigs and weaves, I thought to myself that they were nothing more than modern day scarves. Remember during slavery days woman wore scarves because they did not have the necessary tools or now how to style their own hair. Well there you have it instead of scarves they have upgraded to these horrid lace fronts and bad weaves

I have nothing to add to this discussion other than

Last week as I was walking down 125th and seeing all the bad wigs and weaves, I thought to myself that they were nothing more than modern day scarves. Remember during slavery days woman wore scarves because they did not have the necessary tools or now how to style their own hair. Well there you have it instead of scarves they have upgraded to these horrid lace fronts and bad weaves
Myjourney2009, good point. :yep:

true.
:lachen::lachen: this made me think of a man at church. But he relaxes the sides to be slick. How do I know? He went to a beautician at church and she told of course.:perplexed:lol:

I have seen good weaves, but they are the exception. The vast majority of weaves I see look soooo fake. Perhaps like one poster said, less is more, if the weave was understated instead of being this big ole thing, it would look better and more like it belongs on the person's head. Just my opinion, y'all. It's your hair/head. Do you.

I wear weaves/wigs and recently a little Hispanic boy tried to pull off my wig out in public. He lives in the neighborhood and he is hair obsessed. He would always comment to me "Oh you wear fake hair, your hair is fake" If I didn't have a full head of shoulder length natural hair underneath my wig/weave maybe I would have been offended but his actions/comments did bother me just a tad bit. The following day I got on the train (I live in NYC) and noticed that 90% of the Black women I saw wore false hair and maybe 10% (or less) actually looked good. It disturbed my soul to say the least. What Black women go through with their hair is an epidemic and most don't have the knowledge of informative websites like this to gain helpful information. Hell, some don't even have internet access. I want to help my fellow sisters with their hair issues but I don't know how or where to begin because honey, let me tell you, you can't talk to Black women about hair. It is one of the most uncomfortable topics to us.

In regards to the issue at hand, men don't like bad hairdos whether they be natural, permed or fake. If you keep your hair intact, along with your body and your lifestyle, a man will take notice and like what he sees. False hair is not the enemy, neglecting and abandoning your real hair is the enemy. False hair is beautiful as long as it looks nice. There are tips and tricks so that the weave does not look shiny and fake but you have to be educated on different weave brands and care methods to prevent this from happening. Truth be told, I've wore a weave for 6 years straight. I'll be delighted when I don't have to rely on it anymore and can shut everybody up, including the little Hispanic boy from around the way.

Back