I Need Some Advice

KoriKiyomi

My boyfriend and I have been dating since August 2010. I love him so much. We've been through a lot, but every day I'm constantly falling in love with him. Last night, he told me about a possible job offer. He would have to move out of state. I cried for hours. I cry every time I think about it. Am I being selfish for wanting him to stay here? I know this job will be a great opportunity for him, however I can't wait around forever. *sigh* I don't know how I should feel or what I should do.

Aw I completely know where you are coming from. When I was in a serious long term relationship, he went to basic training and mit training which all lasted a little over a year. We actually grew closer with the distance. This will show how strong your relationship is. I personally learned patience from that experience. We did not go seperate ways because of the distance. I do look back and value LDR because there was alot of growth on both of our parts. Plus I am a military brat so I have watched my mother go years without my father in the house due to orders. He is in Iraq as we speak and he is retired. A strong bond and relationship with stand the test of time.

Thank you for for responding. I think I'm not worried about distance, I think I'm worried about losing him. But you're right. Distance will probably help and I will learn a few things from it.

Thank you for for responding. I think I'm not worried about distance, I think I'm worried about losing him. But you're right. Distance will probably help and I will learn a few things from it.
A) Its a POSSIBLE job offer. I think you may be reacting to quickly.

B) Is his move permanent or temporary? Have you guys talked about how this will impact your relationship or what changes you will need to make in your relationship to make it work despite the distance?

C) Based on what you've said, I think what's going to make or break your relationship given the distance (assuming he gets and accepts the job) is how YOU communicate your feelings as the person 'at home'.

I'm in a LDR and have been for about 2 years - I moved about 2 months after meeting him to go to grad school. Additionally, I traveled for 4.5 years for work while working mostly with men and saw the patterns in the relationships that strengthened with the traveling husbands, and those that sputtered and fell apart. And the key is communication.

The bolded in your response struck me. I think you really need to give some thought as to why you're worried about losing him and where that is coming from. Is it based on his actions/comments and intuition about who he is or is it based on your own feelings about yourself?!

I believe LDRs are always hardest for the person at home. He's going to be a in a new city, experiencing new things with new people. His life is expanding, in a way, and you need to be careful about viewing your life as "losing" or changing for the negative. Does that make sense?

And I say this all because I've been on the other side of the coin in a past relationship. Communication becomes tantamount and how you communicate will often become more noticeable than what you communicate. Over time, the shift in our conversations from "how are things, what'd you do today" to "I miss you, I want to see you, when do I get to see you" to "do you miss me, do you love me" to "how come you didn't text me, how come you didn't call me when you said you would". And once you make the third transition, he is now in a pattern of avoidance rather than excitement when it comes to communicating with you. I've seen MANY a LDR fall apart because the person away got tired of carrying the emotional weight of the feelings of sadness and "missing" from the person at home.

The point: Don't react so soon. Its early, and its a job opportunity which can lead to beautiful things for the both of you in the future. And be cognizant of how you communicate your feelings - be his support system and he will continue to be yours, despite the distance, not an emotional weight.

Last edited:
So did you all talk about the future direction of your relationship? Did he mention you moving to where he would be? Is marriage on the table? Or is the expectation that you will have a long term long distance relationship?

I completed agree with Syrah.

Communication is the key. I always said that as long as the communication lines are open, LDR are ok with me personally. Why are you afraid of losing him?

Thanks for responding. We haven't talked about the details yet. I can't bring myself to talk about it without crying.

I agree, I may be overreacting. I should be more supportive and understanding. It's hard because I consider him to be my best friend and soul mate. I really want to spend the rest of my life with him.

I can't move. I'm in my last year of undergrad. We've talked about marriage before. I'm expecting to have a long distance relationship, but I hope it won't be in vain.

A)
I believe LDRs are always hardest for the person at home. He's going to be a in a new city, experiencing new things with new people. His life is expanding, in a way, and you need to be careful about viewing your life as "losing" or changing for the negative. Does that make sense?

And I say this all because I've been on the other side of the coin in a past relationship. Communication becomes tantamount and how you communicate will often become more noticeable than what you communicate. Over time, the shift in our conversations from "how are things, what'd you do today" to "I miss you, I want to see you, when do I get to see you" to "do you miss me, do you love me" to "how come you didn't text me, how come you didn't call me when you said you would". And once you make the third transition, he is now in a pattern of avoidance rather than excitement when it comes to communicating with you. I've seen MANY a LDR fall apart because the person away got tired of carrying the emotional weight of the feelings of sadness and "missing" from the person at home.

The point: Don't react so soon. Its early, and its a job opportunity which can lead to beautiful things for the both of you in the future. And be cognizant of how you communicate your feelings - be his support system and he will continue to be yours, despite the distance, not an emotional weight.

to the op i have nothing to really add, except that i am going through this now. i had the exact same reaction as you, and am still trying to figure it out. my so ended up moving about a month after the offer. i

thanks syrah for this post, because this is exactly what i am going through as well..... anyways, just wanted to say thank you.

Back