I have cold feet.

gone_fishing

This is long.

Ummm...I need advice I think.

When I first got married to my husband (now ex) we lived in California where I am from. He's from Texas. I never had any intention of moving from there although he was in the military at the time. He had a year left on his contract when we got married and told me he'd be getting out - meaning he wouldn't re-enlist. He was stationed where I lived and there was no hint that he'd be sent to another post elsewhere. I was content with that and we bought a house in Cali and started our life there waiting for his contract to end.

Well, he got all freaked out towards the end and wanted to re-enlist. I was not having that 'cause I already told the man I'm not moving every other year all over the nation. He knew that before we got married. Long story short he did re-enlist one more time and ended up in Kosovo for a year (back then).

The end of that contract he didn't re-enlist.

But, what he DID do was tell me he wanted to move away from Cali. He said the cost of living was really high. This is after we lived in Cali for a few years (after marriage). He's originally from the South although not this state.

He was applying for jobs on the east coast and he finally asked me to move with him to accept a position at a large banking company. I didn't want to but we had our child at this point and everyone told me I needed to follow my husband/let him be the head of the household etc. and that we were a family and I needed to do this.

So I did. I moved for my husband.

So we moved - completely to a new town with new people where I knew NOBODY and had no relatives. I was very sad and depressed when we first got here but I had him so things were okay.

However, when we moved here his job offer fell though because they downsized some department unexpectedly. All they offered him was a severence package after all of that. With this being an "at will" employment state we didn't even have grounds to sue for the inconvenience.

Anyways, my husband looked and looked for a job for 8 months before he decided (and broke my heart) to take a very high paying job working for a foreign entity (not espionage or anything...legit).

Sigh...

He asked me to move with him but it was in the middle east (Bahrain) and I did not want to move again. I just did not want to go. So I stayed here when he promised he'd only work for a year and then come back.

Well that never worked out, he was money hungry and kept wanting to stay long and longer and although he was sending money home I was miserable without him but not miserable enough to move to a desert island in the persian gulf.

So anyway long story as short as possible, we filed for a divorce (after I became aware of some infidelity on his part).

Now fast forward to today.

My fiance moved up here from South Florida (gulf side) and now wants to go back.

He's saying where we are now is not the place for him and by Spring 2009 he intends to move back there.

I just got settled here though (it seems) even though it's been a few years.

Obviously, I would not be moving anywhere till after the wedding but it just freaks me out that once again a guy is asking me to relocate and I'm just scared I'm going to get down there and everything's going to go haywire and I'm going to have to start over again. :nono:

So we were talking last night and he's telling me that he will not stay where we are now until he dies. He said he loves me but he expects me to trust him to make a good decision for all of us. He reiterated all the times I said I wanted to be near the ocean since that is where I grew up so he doesn't see a problem with us moving to Florida.

Well central Cali is WAY different Florida. They should call it the hurricane state rather than the sunshine state. :look: But, in addition, I don't know if I want to live in such a hot humid climate all year around. I also don't know what the job market is like down there and if I'd be able to rebound if things didn't work out because who knows what situation I will be in if things go sour.

I feel selfish for thinking this way but because of prior experiences it has me VERY VERY antys to think about and the fact that he's put a deadline on it feels like a tremendous amount of pressure for me.

He wants to go down to south florida this spring and summer so that we can look at the area and get a feel for if I like it.

I'm willing to do that but what if I don't?

I just feel like I'd be such a fool to uproot all my stuff and move for a man again. I did that for one husband already and I am still regretting it to this day!

Any advice?

That is a dillema. Being that you went through that with your first I see why you would be hesitant. I am big on family so I tried to move to New York from Atlanta with my ex because he had a job offer and it put more of a strain on our relationship because I knew no one we only had 1 car and I am not use to being away from my family so like I said he is now my ex. I feel that he should consider your feelings in this matter why do you have to move where you are not comfortable with going. He should try to compromise. Think long and hard before doing anything (even marriage). I have lived my life to make others happy only to find myself starting over too many times and I say do what is best for you.

Last edited:
I wish I had some advice for you but Im afraid I don't.
U just hope it all works out for you, wish youthe best of luck and pray that you are both happy together.

*big hugs*

I should say that the reason he wants to move is because he moved here to work for a mortgage company that went under several months ago and he's now in limbo as fiding another job paying what he wants although he is working now.

He said moving to Florida would allow him to use the connections he already has established to get back to the income level he was before (outside of the realestate market).

But the housing market is bad every where. What if he goes their and have the same issues? Is his family there? And where is you family? I don't want you to be sad .:hugxplode:

I understand your dilema.

I have no advice to offer you.

Sometimes we have face our fears.

This is a tuffy just wish you the best

This is different than husband #1.

This guy seems interested in what you will think of the place he wants to move to. You need to find out if that's how he intends to be. Is he going take your feelings/opinions in consideration? Your huzzy #1 seemed selfish/confused.

If you never want to move, you have to marry a man who never wants to move. Otherwise, chances are that you will move for one reason or the other. In marriage you can't always have things your way, so you compromise. And by compromise I don't mean you have to suck it up all the time.

I live in Cali and there are a lot of things I don't like, but I am happy here. My FH doesn't like it here and wants to move. I like hot he likes cold. He wanted to move to NOrCal but i don't like it there because IMO the summers there aren't even warm enough. So we've compromised and are going to move to a 4-season state, so he can have his cold and I can have my real summers. I would much rather go to San Diego really, but it is a trade-off.

As long as he values your feelings/opinions it should be good.

I didn't read the other responses and you may overlook what I type.

These are two different men. Your first husband seemed self centered and very young.

Give him a chance, you seem to really be inlove with him. If he's shown to make wise choices in the past give him a chance to be a good husband. It seems like all he wants to do is provide to good life for you. There is nothing wrong with following your husband around.

There are no easy answers. You and your SO should keep talking. Given what you've been through, your concerns are very understandable. Hopefully you and he can work it through together.

I didn't read the other responses and you may overlook what I type.

These are two different men. Your first husband seemed self centered and very young.

Give him a chance, you seem to really be inlove with him. If he's shown to make wise choices in the past give him a chance to be a good husband. It seems like all he wants to do is provide to good life for you. There is nothing wrong with following your husband around.

I wouldn't overlook anything you type. I respect you opinion. I will give him a chance. It is difficult to be logical and not emotional when making a decision at times. I'll make sure we think things through and talk things out, I just wanted to know what everyone else though. I agree they are two different people. It's not really him as much as it is my personal fears. I suppose it's just something I'll have to work though.

Ok, just checking my myspace for the first time today and he left me this note early this morning but just now seeing it.

Date:
15/11/2007
Subject:
gm

Body:
Dear,

I do not want any added stress by any means on our relationship....I'm fine with staying in charlotte for awhile...but i do want to be able to give it a half of a year or a year review on if this is the place for us to settle down. Buying a home together soon is in our future so that is a viable question if we are looking for it to be in charlotte or not...

But of course for awhile i'm here and your here and the best part of it all is we are here together...so chill lady...cause that is what i'm doing...focus but stay in peace..be busy on the positive and walk in harmony...oh the joy of being with you is the joy of knowing the future is bright...i know it is, and that is why i'm focused on us and our goals to live the way we both would like to enjoy and carry our lives...enjoy the day...sunshine!!! xoxoxox

Ignore him being corny. :lachen:This made me feel a little better though. Totally night and day from the convo I felt we had last night. Maybe he had some time to think. But, I know we still gotta talk about it.

I agree with some of the other posts...

1. if your a spiritual woman, pray for guidance, and direction over this matter. Let the spirit direct your moves.

2. Be open and honest with him about your feelings. Don't hide or sugar coat anything. Let him know your apprehensions and clearly express to him..... like you did in this thread.... your reasons for this.

3. If for some reason you get to a point where the very idea of this move becomes emotionally overwhelming.. don't make a decision that will cause everyone(kids,husband,yourself) to suffer.

I know personally how emotionally overwhelming a move can be when you are opened to doing it... I can only imagine how much more taxing it could be if you really didn't want to do it in the first place.

good luck

My only concern is moving from place to place and how that will affect you son. But if he isn't settled in school yet perhaps that isn't much of an issue.

I think if you all are on the verge of getting married, you two should agree on things like this. I think it will take more discussion of your feelings about the matter. Good luck, best wishes!

My SO sprung something on me this evening.

He wants to go to Ft. Meyers, FL this CHRISTMAS - get a beach house down there...(renting for the week not buying).

I'm look ok...cool.

Then he starts talking about how he wants me to move in with him in March.

I already said NO to the shacking up thing. :nono:

Wedding was not supposed to be for almost a year yet.

So, now he's decided he wants to get married like...NOW so we can go ahead and move in.

Then we can have a big wedding later.

I'm like...uuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :blush:

Flattered but like...ewwwwww my feet are freeeeeeeeezing.

So perhaps by the end of the year he says...we can get hitched and when my lease term is up I can just move in with him.

I have no clue how feel about this.

Anybody ever done the bolded before?

My only concern is moving from place to place and how that will affect you son. But if he isn't settled in school yet perhaps that isn't much of an issue.

I think if you all are on the verge of getting married, you two should agree on things like this. I think it will take more discussion of your feelings about the matter. Good luck, best wishes!

He's in kindergarten and I agree with you. That was an issue! I think if we are going to move eventually though, it'd be better to do it now than later. ???

Wow, what a dilemna. i'd have to say that i wouldnt make hubby #2 pay for the mistake of hubby #1. I kinda feel you because i felt the same way when i was engaged. We talked about the possibility of my hubbys job relocating him to ATL. I was dead set of moving cause i have family in charlotte and i feel at home. and ATL is too big for me. but i had to suck it up and trust him and i decided that i would let him lead. Since u like the ocean, it sounds like you would be happy there but you only have a fear of divorce/having to start over. I think you should tell him to take you down to the area PLENTY of times on 2008 so you can feel comfortable, and get familiar with the city. If he has friends/fam down there...then perhaps yall can hang out and you can make new friends. So it wont feel like a strange place. But also...i hate to bring this up... but if you guys were to seperate, take a little comfort in knowing that you would deserve some alimony and wont be out on your *** if anythiing should happen. Not saying that you'd want to be supported, but it certainly should make you feel a little bit of comfort.

PS: and make sure your name is on EVERYTHING from the rent lease/ mortgage note, to the car note....etc etc. :yep:

Last edited:
Ummm yea, its a good chance that will never happen. :ohwell: We were initially planning to do something quick and then have a big wedding at a convenient time. thenn other married folx was like yea right, u get so busy with marriage and life, that you get over the wedding thing and you never get around to it. Now that i'm married, i totally understand. but there isnt anything wrong with having a small quick ceremony... as long as it's what both of you guys want.

Anybody ever done the bolded before?[/QUOTE]

Move in March :shocked: I didn't know about all of that! If your son is able to adapt to new situations easily, I think the decision might be a little easier to go for it, but if not then I'd say to do some long hard thinking. You don't want resentment issues later on. I hope you have talks with your little one to see how he feels about everything. I have seen that some kids who move around a lot when they are younger either become destructive later in life or very creative and successful, because they are not afraid to take risks. So it could be a good thing, but there's no real way of knowing.

As for your career, I know that you will be successful wherever you go!

Moving can be a rough transition on anyone, but especially children. Fortunately your son is young and this will hopefully seem like a grand adventure but getting him settled in will go more smoothly if he's assured that you're confident with the decision to move. He's looking to you for much of how he should be feeling, so if you're not ready and anxious about it he will be too and that'll be hard on all of you. Taking some time to be more confident about what you want and happy with the compromise is important. How can you hope to have a solid marriage if you're afraid and distrustful? You love your fiance, and it's apparent that he loves you and wants the best for your joined family. Someone else mentioned not punishing him for another man's mistakes, I agree. Don't let the spectre of your 1st husband cast a shadow over what you've been so fortunate to build and receive now.

As for a big wedding later-two friends of mine have done this. One wanted to move his financee into his house (she was pregnant) but her mother and grandmother were adamant they be married first. They did a quickie city hall wedding, and then a year later had a biiiiiiiiiiiigggggg splashy, incredibly expensive wedding-very very big (and gaudy imo-but that's cause the bride was disneyfied) and lavish honeymoon after. The bride got all that she wanted and he was happy to have provided her with her dream wedding. There weren't really any problems except for this one jealous cousin who griped about not seeing the point during the reception, but most everyone ignored her.

The other wanted a private ceremony, just her fiance, their son and her, so they got married in Jamaica, and had "community declaration of marriage" :rolleyes: and a huge reception about 6 mos later. That was fine too, great time had by all and she really enjoyed having a traditional "wedding" she could share with her family and friends, but a smaller, more spiritual and private ceremony too.

Let your heart guide you, your choices will be the right ones.

I always say if you don't do the big wedding immediately, make sure you'd be ok with never having it. Something more important will come up every time. Most of the people I know who did this still haven't had the big wedding 10 years later.

He wants to go to Ft. Meyers, FL this CHRISTMAS - get a beach house down there...(renting for the week not buying).

I'm look ok...cool.

Then he starts talking about how he wants me to move in with him in March.

I already said NO to the shacking up thing. :nono:

Wedding was not supposed to be for almost a year yet.

So, now he's decided he wants to get married like...NOW so we can go ahead and move in.

I'm like...uuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :blush:

Flattered but like...ewwwwww my feet are freeeeeeeeezing.

So perhaps by the end of the year he says...we can get hitched and when my lease term is up I can just move in with him.

I have no clue how feel about this.

Anybody ever done the bolded before?

I have never had a big wedding, nor would I be interested in having one. I am a really private person so a small private ceremony would be my preference. I would go ahead and get married if this is what you want. I would not let the possibility of not having a big wedding keep me from getting married to the man I love.

Move in March :shocked: I didn't know about all of that! If your son is able to adapt to new situations easily, I think the decision might be a little easier to go for it, but if not then I'd say to do some long hard thinking. You don't want resentment issues later on. I hope you have talks with your little one to see how he feels about everything. I have seen that some kids who move around a lot when they are younger either become destructive later in life or very creative and successful, because they are not afraid to take risks. So it could be a good thing, but there's no real way of knowing.

As for your career, I know that you will be successful wherever you go!

LOL. :grin:

He wants me to move into his house here in Charlotte in March.

He doesn't want to move to Florida until spring 2009. :perplexed

Moving can be a rough transition on anyone, but especially children. Fortunately your son is young and this will hopefully seem like a grand adventure but getting him settled in will go more smoothly if he's assured that you're confident with the decision to move. He's looking to you for much of how he should be feeling, so if you're not ready and anxious about it he will be too and that'll be hard on all of you. Taking some time to be more confident about what you want and happy with the compromise is important. How can you hope to have a solid marriage if you're afraid and distrustful? You love your fiance, and it's apparent that he loves you and wants the best for your joined family. Someone else mentioned not punishing him for another man's mistakes, I agree. Don't let the spectre of your 1st husband cast a shadow over what you've been so fortunate to build and receive now.

As for a big wedding later-two friends of mine have done this. One wanted to move his financee into his house (she was pregnant) but her mother and grandmother were adamant they be married first. They did a quickie city hall wedding, and then a year later had a biiiiiiiiiiiigggggg splashy, incredibly expensive wedding-very very big (and gaudy imo-but that's cause the bride was disneyfied) and lavish honeymoon after. The bride got all that she wanted and he was happy to have provided her with her dream wedding. There weren't really any problems except for this one jealous cousin who griped about not seeing the point during the reception, but most everyone ignored her.

The other wanted a private ceremony, just her fiance, their son and her, so they got married in Jamaica, and had "community declaration of marriage" :rolleyes: and a huge reception about 6 mos later. That was fine too, great time had by all and she really enjoyed having a traditional "wedding" she could share with her family and friends, but a smaller, more spiritual and private ceremony too.

Let your heart guide you, your choices will be the right ones.

Thank you for this post. I don't want city hall to be our wedding. But I don't want a HUGE gaudy wedding either.

I invision a night beach wedding with a full moon and a bonfire and a cookout with some sheer white tents set up along the beach where we can have our wedding and our reception all in the same place.

Those are just the thoughts in my head. :perplexed

Ok, well we made a decision this weekend.

We will be getting married in March and moving in April 1st and having a big wedding next year.

Now, why do I feel nauseated. Oh...my feet. :spinning:

Ok, well we made a decision this weekend.

We will be getting married in March and moving in April 1st and having a big wedding next year.

Now, why do I feel nauseated. Oh...my feet. :spinning:

That sounds great! I am glad things worked out!

Back