I don't like that video about that child with long hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurend

:perplexedAm I the only one who doesn't get that youtube video? I really don't like the idea of exposing a child on youtube about her hair. First of all, are her parents so proud that their daughter has straight long hair that they feel they have to show it off to the world. What values are the giving their daughter, that she is her hair. What happens if lets say she visits Dominican Republic or Brazil, is her self esteem going to drop, because hair like hers is a dime a dozen. Are African Americans that far gone that someone would make a video about a childs hair and we sit around and salivate about it. No wonder they are so many obese AA women we put to much in this hair thing and not other areas. The title also tells it all, AA girl with long hair like they are no AA girls with long hair. Yes, her hair is beautiful but to make a video about it tells me that we are putting are values in the wrong place. NOW yell at me now, I can take it.

Some could say the same about being a dedicated member to a hair board....values in the wrong place.

On the other hand, I can't really offer a response to your question, because I can see both sides of the equation.

We all know that long REAL hair in the AA community (outside of LHCF) is a rarity.

ETA: Oh, and maybe people would understand your argument more if the AA girl was actually obese.

Last edited:
:perplexedAm I the only one who doesn't get that youtube video? I really don't like the idea of exposing a child on youtube about her hair. First of all, are her parents so proud that their daughter has straight long hair that they feel they have to show it off to the world. What values are the giving their daughter, that she is her hair. What happens if lets say she visits Dominican Republic or Brazil, is her self esteem going to drop, because hair like hers is a dime a dozen. Are African Americans that far gone that someone would make a video about a childs hair and we sit around and salivate about it. No wonder they are so many obese AA women we put to much in this hair thing and not other areas. The title also tells it all, AA girl with long hair like they are no AA girls with long hair. Yes, her hair is beautiful but to make a video about it tells me that we are putting are values in the wrong place. NOW yell at me now, I can take it.

:nono:

Your posting came from a completely negative place. smh

It's also hypocritical because you are a paying member on a hair board. YOU also look at videos on you tube about hair.

If it's so silly to be interested in pretty hair, why are you here?

I respect your opinion, however I don't see anything different about that video than what we all do on here. We share "secrets" and ideas all aimed towards longer, healthier more beautiful hair. If I had hair like that I would show it off too. But that's just me.

gold+star.png

I don't mind the video. The title bothers me more lol. She could've named it something else like "Who said AA can't grow long hair?" or something of that sort. The way she titled it, seems like it's a circus act that no one ever saw before like "The little boy with 98394304830 fingers!". Lol don't mind me, I'm being silly.

Her hair is gorgeous. I noticed she (or her mother) also recommended LHCF in one of her comments.

Her hair is truly beautiful and I'm sure many women here aspire to that....or they probably wouldn't be here!

I thought the picture was posted by the woman of herself when she was a girl. I don't know why she is referring to herself as a girl though.

I've worked in the AA community for years and there are plenty of women who will forgo their health and bodies because they don't want to mess up their hairstyle. This idea is still very prevalant in our society

I clicked on the video and expected to see somebody overweight after reading your post:ohwell:..I dont get what any of your post has to do with that girl and her hair but of course, you entitled to your opinion.

ETA: I just saw the most recent video of the mom I guess and are you trying to say she is over weight? I still dont get it...Maybe I am having a blonde moment cause I dont think she is overweight.

Last edited:
I thought the picture was posted by the woman of herself when she was a girl. I don't know why she is referring to herself as a girl though.

It's two different people... the mom and the daughter.

The daughter posted another vid of herself where you could plainly see who is who.

The first two vids had me confused too!

I understand where you are coming from OP, although I don't necessarily dislike the video. If it were my daughter, I wouldn't do that...but to each his own.

I don't mind the video. The title bothers me more lol. She could've named it something else like "Who said AA can't grow long hair?" or something of that sort. The way she titled it, seems like it's a circus act that no one ever saw before like quote]

Yeah the title is the only thing that bothers me about the video. Other than that it like any other hair video that you see on you tube, just people wanting to share.

I don't mind the video. The title bothers me more lol. She could've named it something else like "Who said AA can't grow long hair?" or something of that sort. The way she titled it, seems like it's a circus act that no one ever saw before like quote]

Yeah the title is the only thing that bothers me about the video. Other than that it like any other hair video that you see on you tube, just people wanting to share.

Off topic: Is that NKOTB "08" in your siggy??? :lachen:

Seriously...is that a recent pic??

I kindof feel what you are saying, however with this being a hair forum it will not be received well!

We all put value on hair to some extent or we would not be here, with that being said there is sooo much garbage on youtube that envolves AA youth (children dancing provocatively, etc) that this one girl with her hair does not even scrap the surface of child exploitation!:nono:

I've worked in the AA community for years and there are plenty of women who will forgo their health and bodies because they don't want to mess up their hairstyle. This idea is still very prevalant in our society

Really? I live/lived in the AA community for years and I don't see that they forgo their health for hairstyles...that just doesn't make sense to me.:ohwell:

But, thanks for responding.

I wasnt offended by it. I was happy to see it, because it can help dispel the myth that AA cant grow long hair. I thought the vid was tastefully done and non-exploitative (sp?).

I think that we all know that AA women are obsessed with hair and so therefore the mother is not doing anything so outlandish.

All my life people have commented on the length and thickness of my hair and it wasnt anywhere near my waist or even midback, but I was always being asked if i am mixed with "indian". No one believes that AA women can grow hair; especially AAs.

I dont think the obesity issue has enough to do with hair to cause so many of our health to be at risk. It is not just a lack of exercise that causes our obesity but also EVERY SINGLE THING that we put in our mouths. :nono:

Our degraded self esteem is an issue
Our emotional state is an issue
Suffering from depression is an issue
Poverty is an issue
These are all contributing factors to our obesity and host of other problems that plague our AA women

for me growing my hair is a source of pride and enjoyment, but I WILL go to the gym and sweat my roots out!!!:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back