I don't like that video about that child with long hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Either old picture or she look very young for 22! I thought she was no more than 13, 14.

I could tell from the pictures that they were old, not very recent. Especially the clothing styles. Her explaining is in the comments for one of the videos. I read it, but I don't remember which one, and I may be off about the age, but I do remember realizing that she is grown= over 21 now from her comments.

I don't think the poster of the video meant that she was "The only AA girl with long hair." She knows and we know (if we are honest) that people in general don't think black women can have long hair unless it is a weave or you got the "good hair" gene. So why should we front? I mean, there is a posting at least twice a month of a member complaining about getting a weave check because people didn't believe her hair was real (and a third of the time that member's hair is APL, not long by LCHF standards). So, again, why front like people don't question that black women can have long hair.

:perplexedAm I the only one who doesn't get that youtube video? I really don't like the idea of exposing a child on youtube about her hair. First of all, are her parents so proud that their daughter has straight long hair that they feel they have to show it off to the world. What values are the giving their daughter, that she is her hair. What happens if lets say she visits Dominican Republic or Brazil, is her self esteem going to drop, because hair like hers is a dime a dozen. Are African Americans that far gone that someone would make a video about a childs hair and we sit around and salivate about it. No wonder they are so many obese AA women we put to much in this hair thing and not other areas. The title also tells it all, AA girl with long hair like they are no AA girls with long hair. Yes, her hair is beautiful but to make a video about it tells me that we are putting are values in the wrong place. NOW yell at me now, I can take it.

If you don't like the video get off of this board and don't hate on others for being proud of their naturally long and beautiful hair that they want to share and inspire others who want long and healthy hair as well.

I see no problem with the video...I mean the fact is to some, it is a rarity to see any AA women with long hair, especially if she's young as well. Maybe she was trying to show that yes, there are AA women that can grow their hair to great lengths. The simple fact that you're subscribed to LHCF means that hair is important enough for you to care to watch videos about hair :look:

However, the insult to AA women about most of them being overweight was uncalled for. People of all races are overweight so to point particulary at Black women says something more about your own prejudices against them. I presume that you're not African American, and if you are that's even more of a damn shame SMDH.

To the OP: Would you have been less offended if the girl's hair was long & kinky in texture? Do you feel that becuz the AA girl's hair is straight that they are showing off? If that is the case, let's take a step back & remember that the diaspora is VERY diverse & ALL looks should be appreciated EVEN THOUGH all looks are still in the process of learning to be accepted by society. It is a very fine line between teaching our daughters to be proud without having to apologize & teaching them to be vain. At the same time we have to be careful about assuming vanity over pride on the part of others.

I don't mind the videos. I think the first one is a little weird and could be deemed exploitative if they were trying to sell ya something. I mean the whole "e-mail me to find out my/her 'secret'" makes ya think they're trying to sell you something. I think the second one where she shares her regimen is better, but overall it's not too much different than what we do here. I guess it comes down to what was the intention behind the videos??? Was it to boast, to sell you something or to actually help people grow long hair....JMHO.

I do find the videos alittle strange, I find alot of things strange.
I try to be as observant as possible.

I see no problem with the video...I mean the fact is to some, it is a rarity to see any AA women with long hair, especially if she's young as well. Maybe she was trying to show that yes, there are AA women that can grow their hair to great lengths. The simple fact that you're subscribed to LHCF means that hair is important enough for you to care to watch videos about hair :look:

However, the insult to AA women about most of them being overweight was uncalled for. People of all races are overweight so to point particulary at Black women says something more about your own prejudices against them. I presume that you're not African American, and if you are that's even more of a damn shame SMDH.

I'm stating the facts 70% of AA women are overweight and 45% are obese. If it she were my child, I would love her hair but to make a video about, I don't think so. I would have video of my child if she were playing piano at the Met or she is an outstanding swimmer like Michael Phelps. My focus on my child would be on her education, her talents not her hair.

Go on youtube and type in... Indian girl with long hair, Chinese girl with long hair, White girl with long hair... IMO you're reading into the title of the video waaay too much, and if she wants to sport her long hair let her be, if you don't like the video close the window. I would think writing "Who said black girls can't have long hair' would be making a bigger ignorant assumption then the current title. And that whole thing about her being a dime a dozen in Brazil or DR... sound's a little like envy to me :look:

The girl's hair isn't straight either.

She gets it flatironed, she's natural.

I'm kinda peeved since the OP didn't answer my post.

Not to be mean, but I just don't understand how someone can be such a hypocrite... when THEY are a paying member of a hair board and are looking at videos about hair on youtube:lachen:

Then for the icing on the cake... it comes off as being offensive, ignorant and negative.

Total smh moment when I first read it. :nono:

Not to be mean, but I just don't understand how someone can be such a hypocrite... when THEY are a paying member of a hair board and are looking at videos about hair on youtube:lachen:
Then for the icing on the cake... it comes off as being offensive, ignorant and negative.

That's more confusing to me than the video :look:

I'm stating the facts 70% of AA women are overweight and 45% are obese. If it she were my child, I would love her hair but to make a video about, I don't think so. I would have video of my child if she were playing piano at the Met or she is an outstanding swimmer like Michael Phelps. My focus on my child would be on her education, her talents not her hair.

So .. 70% of AA women are obese because .. we're too worried about our hair?:look:

Speak for yourself. My hair is right, as is my body. And I seriously doubt the majority of AA women are TRULY overweight because they're too focused on their hair to exercise. They're making excuses IMO.

I see what you were saying in the OP, I just think the way you said it was extremely tactless, hence the backlash.

Go on youtube and type in... Indian girl with long hair, Chinese girl with long hair, White girl with long hair... IMO you're reading into the title of the video waaay too much, and if she wants to sport her long hair let her be, if you don't like the video close the window. I would think writing "Who said black girls can't have long hair' would be making a bigger ignorant assumption then the current title. And that whole thing about her being a dime a dozen in Brazil or DR... sound's a little like envy to me :look:

I'm not envious but I was wondering is her family put to much value in her hair.

Neith I think you posted the first thread about the young lady, anyway I looked at the video and then shut it down because I didn't agree with her parents making this video. It's not about me or my love for healthy hair, it's about what I felt were misguided values.

I'm not envious but I was wondering is her family put to much value in her hair.

Even if they are putting too much value on hair (not saying this in a rude tone but..) why is that any of your concern? It's just a YouTube video.. there are tons of hair videos on YouTube, and from what I know, the reason why more videos were put up of her. were because *us* lhcf ladies requested it.

Even if they are putting too much value on hair (not saying this in a rude tone but..) why is that any of your concern? It's just a YouTube video.. there are tons of hair videos on YouTube, and from what I know, the reason why more videos were put up of her. were because *us* lhcf ladies requested it.

Cosigning, and adding, we don't know what goes on in those people's home. The girl could've very well been praised on all sorts of other achievements, and the hair is just what we've seen.-- In response to the OP's comments about how she should've focused on her daughters other talents.

On the flip side, perhaps the daughter grew up with mean little girls who excluded her because of her hair, and dealt with self-hate, and her mother wanted to show her just how beautiful it truly was.

Either way, other than requests, we don't REALLY know the mothers reasoning and motives behind posting the video, and I don't think we should judge.

How would you feel if the video said AA girl with a beautiful body? Would feel it were ok or that her parents shouldn't be put a value in having beautiful body.

Neith I think you posted the first thread about the young lady, anyway I looked at the video and then shut it down because I didn't agree with her parents making this video. It's not about me or my love for healthy hair, it's about what I felt were misguided values.

I didn't post the first vid... that one eventually got locked :lol:

I did post a thread about her newer vids though... it's still floating around.

I don't think the girl is too young to make youtube vids. It's not like someone threw a 3 year old in front of the camera.

There are many teens on youtube (even though this girl isn't a teen)... doing much worse things than sharing their hair care regimen.

I just find it funny that you would zero in on her... she isn't doing anything wrong.

If values were MY true concern, a hair vid wouldn't bother me. The millions of teens posting sexy pictures and fights and whatnot would get me riled up. Youtube is chockfull of that kind of thing.

So .. 70% of AA women are obese because .. we're too worried about our hair?:look:

Speak for yourself. My hair is right, as is my body. And I seriously doubt the majority of AA women are TRULY overweight because they're too focused on their hair to exercise. They're making excuses IMO.

I see what you were saying in the OP, I just think the way you said it was extremely tactless, hence the backlash.

Girl I'm overweight and has nothing to do with my hair, lol:lachen:. I don't think there's anything wrong with this video. She and her family are proud of her hair. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think the only time a persons accomplishments should be celebrated are when they are extreme or when someone else deems them worthy. You should celebrate the little things. These videos should be viewed as a inspiration. Many AA woman don't know that it's possible to grow hair that long and it be healthy. I didn't know before coming to LHCF. How do you know that she isn't accomplished in other areas also? Should she post a video on Youtube with old report cards showing her grades? Do you neglect other areas of your life just because you take care of your hair and post on LHCF.

Girl I'm overweight and has nothing to do with my hair, lol:lachen:. I don't think there's anything wrong with this video. She and her family are proud of her hair. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think the only time a persons accomplishments should be celebrated are when they are extreme or when someone else deems them worthy. You should celebrate the little things. These videos should be viewed as a inspiration. Many AA woman don't know that it's possible to grow hair that long and it be healthy. I didn't know before coming to LHCF. How do you know that she isn't accomplished in other areas also? Should she post a video on Youtube with old report cards showing her grades? Do you neglect other areas of your life just because you take care of your hair and post on LHCF.

:yep: And that's all I'm saying ..

She also seems well rounded.

She also has vids of her playing the piano and her brother playing an instrument... (and all those pokemon vids :lol:)

Where exactly do you see her or her family having an unhealthy obsession with her hair?

She also seems well rounded.

She also has vids of her playing the piano and her brother playing an instrument... (and all those pokemon vids :lol:)

Where exactly do you see her or her family having an unhealthy obsession with her hair?

I will take a look. I really don't spend a lot of time looking at videos maybe I missed that.

How would you feel if the video said AA girl with a beautiful body? Would feel it were ok or that her parents shouldn't be put a value in having beautiful body.

Well.. Firstly, I wouldn't assume that just because her mother put a video up on YouTube, that their family puts too much of a value on body image. There's a big difference between "showing off what you got", and "putting too much value on something". All I see this girl doing is rocking her hair on YouTube.. and rocking at very well and with a lot of class. I'm not going to judge this child mothers and her values based on some YouTube pictures.. it's pointless.. and a waste of time. I'm just going to enjoy the video :yep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back