I am going to keep/start relaxing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've checked in already, but I wanted to come back and say that this is one of the nicest threads I've read on this site in a while...no ugly comments...just love and support. Reminds me of why I joined this board in the first place.

Thanks Propurr. We could use some of your knowledge on your texalx method as well. Care to share yours?

Currently enduring my longest relaxer stretch ever! I am just over 9 months into my stretch and going for 20 months. I need a hair cut really badly:pullhair: but anyhoo, I digress.

I will be texlaxing it leaving a tiny bit of texture in my hair when this stretch ends. I want to leave a very loose curl pattern in my hair so that means instead of the relaxer staying on my fine hair for 15 minutes, 10 minutes including application time would be perfect I feel.

I will be using Mizani MBB mild lye relaxer when I relax again. Design Essentials is nice but it gets my hair wayyyy too straight.

Texlaxed/relaxed head forever here:wave:.

Oh darn I need to braid my hair again because I have this strong urge to cut my hair:crazy::nervous2:.
Nonononono cutting!! go put those braids in right now :yep:

Agreed Tafa, we are very awake now:yep:. I have to admit, when I saw the title of the thread I did a little happy dance (on the inside:look:)

But for awhile I actually just stayed out of most threads and if I did it was to support, even if they are natural. I love looking at both kinds of hair and I have no problem with what you want to do with your hair. As long as you're taking care of it and it's healthy, I'm happy.

That being said, I so feel the love in this thread!:grin:

I have tried to transition many times (up to yesterday even), and everytime I do I talk myself out of it. My relaxed hair is thick from root to tip, healthy, shiny, soft, bluntly cut, strong - everything I ever wanted it to be.

I'm like two people sometimes when it comes to this hair. I would love to experience my natural hair. But my relaxed hair is in such amazing condition (after being on this board for 2.5 years and slowly cutting off all my pre-LHCF hair), it's like why mess with a good thing if it's working for me?

You'll probably see me in a transitioning thread in a couple of months. Then I will probably be in a relaxed thread soon thereafter :lachen: I'm funny like that. But relaxing is actually quite successful for some and I think I am one of them.

You are welcome back anytime!!
Only you know what works best for your hair :-)

Congrats on achieving beautiful healthy relaxed hair.

Just joined the site today, but I have been a lurker on and off for a while. I love this thread. I have been relaxed since I was 13 and don't have any intentions on going natural. I just did an 11 week stretch and will be searching the board on ways to make it a little easier. This last week I could barely comb my hair, but I've already decided to get some Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier thanks to Aggie on this thread.

Keep the support and love going!

Last edited:
Yes. I have some aphogee and used it a couple of times when I was seeing some breakage. It did nothing for me that I could see.

So I put on some emergencee this weekend... :( Before I had just a few strands, what I have now is horrible breakage. So I think I overloaded my hair. I've been moisturizing and dc-ing my hair to no end for the past week. It's getting better though.

Got any ideas?

which aphogee did you use? The 2min one should be good. I dont like the 2 step :nono:
Emergencee is good too as long as you only keep it on for the time it states, which I believe is about 1-2 mins? Going longer than that can lead to overload. also make sure not to comb your hair while its in there. then immediately follow up with a moisturing DC.

WARNING: LONG THREAD! (Venting Involved, proceed at your own risk!)

Thanks so much for this thread! I need all the support I can get because my decision to succumb to the creamy crack has been met with such hostility from my regular support system (mother, 2 sisters, SO, and 2 of my BFF's :sad:)
They are all natural by the way. The girls and I started the journey together about 2-3 years ago and have been a great support for each other....until now!

They are disgusted with me. "How could you"? They ask, "You know your hair's going to fall out right"?, "You've come so far, why would you want to throw it all away"?

I told them I believe that with proper hair care, hair can thrive in any state, relaxed or natural! I told them I'll be bra strap length real soon and they laughed!!! :perplexed

I wonder if they even heard my words of wisdom: In a given year I wear my natural hair out only about 30% of the time. The rest of the time the hair is in braids, weaves, under a wig etc. I do this because I have a lot of shrinkage. Case in point, the first 2 pics I attached is of my hair after a fully dried braid out! Even when its completely dry it still has shrinkage.
You don't want to see the shrinkage after a wash! :lachen: Check out the third pic!
It takes me 3 hours to detangle, wash & condition and then braid it or twist it out. And then it takes about 2 days to air dry my hair. Don't use a blow dryer because my hair is so sensitive to heat, I never really press it out or blow it out...
I pretty much just do weaves, braids, wig it, and occasionally wear it out in all its, shrunken nappy glory!

I'm ready to texlax y'all, I like texture without shrinkage, less time spent on hair and more manageability.
Only problem is unlike most of you, I have never tried to self-relax. In my relaxer days I always went to the salon. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've read your posts on self-texlaxing over and over again but I just don't think I can pull it off on my own. At the same time I don't know where to turn. Do hair stylists generally know what texlaxing is? And can they do it like y'all do?

Awww I am sorry your friends and family are not supporting you!
In the end, you must do what works for YOU. They will come around...you are not your hair, you are you!
For a virgin relaxer I wouls suggest to go to a stylist. Then you can practice with conditionner at home until you are secure enough to do your touchups by yourself.
Good luck, and you will get plenty of tips and support here.

Although I'm going natural, I really like the support in this thread. Who knows if two days from now I change my mind. It's just good to have that support no matter what choice you make with your hair. And it's about time some relaxed threads came out. I almost thought I was on a natural hair site for a minute. :lol:. Anyways, nice thread ladies.

Thank you!

Just joined the site today, but I have been a lurker on and off for a while. I love this thread. I have been relaxed since I was 13 and don't have any intentions on going natural. I just did an 11 week stretch and will be searching the board on ways to make it a little easier. This last week I could barely comb my hair, but I've already decided to get some Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier thanks to Aggie on this thread.

You're welcomed honey. Let me know how you like it if you get it.

Why were y'all so timid? I was wondering if you guys had just packed your bags and left the building!! I'm so happy to see you guys BACK and in fighting spirit. I need you all so I can get tips to help my relaxed family memebers! ;)

It's good to see the relaxed ladies back, I say it again! Now our board can go back to being for EVERYODY!

We're Ladies (for the most part:look:)

And Not Overly Opinionated Gangsta Hair Thugs!:lachen:

I am here to give and share "advice, tips, helpful hints" when I can, and grow me some hair. That's it.:yep:

I ain't here for all that "other" foolishness. For Real, For Real.:look:

*oops...sorry*

Agreed Tafa, we are very awake now:yep:. I have to admit, when I saw the title of the thread I did a little happy dance (on the inside:look:)

But for awhile I actually just stayed out of most threads and if I did it was to support, even if they are natural. I love looking at both kinds of hair and I have no problem with what you want to do with your hair. As long as you're taking care of it and it's healthy, I'm happy.

That being said, I so feel the love in this thread!:grin:
posters have been awesome!! Thank you all ladies :-)

DC'ing with ORS packs helps me a lot with the NG. Also when all esle fail, Afrodetangler is the bomb for me.

weeeew I am finally caught up LOL.
Just wanted to say thanks for keeping this thread clean and nice and helpful ladies.
I am learning so much already!!

just wanted to add another thing that help me stretch...not to start another debate but it works for me. I do BKT when I can't take the NG anymore.

Can someone suggest a good leave in for a relaxed head that doesn't leave the hair all sticky and hard?

ETA: Whoops, I hope we can also ask questions in this thread!

I'm going to keep relaxing my hair every 12 weeks for now. Then I have a future goal of upping my exposure to relaxers to every 16 weeks. Maybe one day I can make it to 1/2 a year. But I will be relaxed as long as I can forsee. As a busy student in graduate school, this works well for me. I'm in agreement! Thanks OP!

I'm also a grad student, but my hair is natural. I'm ready for a relaxer to smooth these curls. When I'm not writing papers and reading I'm trying to cut through these curls. Its way to much now. Now more wash and go since its getting cold out.

India

I plan to keep relaxing.

I went natural for two years and learned via this website how to maintain both natural & relaxed hair.

Once I figured out I could continue relaxing & grow my hair at the same time- it was on like :pop:.

I just started back relaxing in August & trying to only relax 1-4 times per year.

I don't think one is better than the other, healthy hair is the most important no matter what state it is in.

I'm glad this thread was started, it sometimes does feel like relaxers are the minority here, but that's okay.

Proud relaxer since my teens and plan on staying that way. I'm totally part of the DIY crowd and will be relaxing in a short while after a 3 month stretch.

Anyone have a good twistout on relaxed hair YT vid? I have braidouts down pat good enough but havent had a successful relaxer since my profile pic.

Thanks Propurr. We could use some of your knowledge on your texalx method as well. Care to share yours?

Hey Aggie :wave: and You're welcome! My very-detailed texlaxing routine is in the "About Me" section of my fotki. I do my whole head at one time.

To the aspiring Self-relaxers: May I suggest that if you are a relaxing/texlaxing your hair for the first tim and unsure about how speedy you will be, practice with conditioner first...just pretend it's the relaxer and time yourself. If you don't move through your hair as fast as you would like, then relaxing half your hair at one time might be a better choice.

You can do it!:yep:

Hey Aggie :wave: and You're welcome! My very-detailed texlaxing routine is in the "About Me" section of my fotki. I do my whole head at one time.

To the aspiring Self-relaxers: May I suggest that if you are a relaxing/texlaxing your hair for the first tim and unsure about how speedy you will be, practice with conditioner first...just pretend it's the relaxer and time yourself. If you don't move through your hair as fast as you would like, then relaxing half your hair at one time might be a better choice.

You can do it!:yep:

Prospurr...

Thanks for checking in. I was trying to think of you as a texlaxer and was drawing a complete blank. Did you see Monroe Lee's post about texlaxing?

Can someone suggest a good leave in for a relaxed head that doesn't leave the hair all sticky and hard?

moroccanoil (moisturizing) or africas best organic leave in mayo (protein i suppose but it leaves my hair soft). both are very good.

We're Ladies (for the most part:look:)

And Not Overly Opinionated Gangsta Hair Thugs!:lachen:

I am here to give and share "advice, tips, helpful hints" when I can, and grow me some hair. That's it.:yep:

I ain't here for all that "other" foolishness. For Real, For Real.:look:

*oops...sorry*

:lachen:@ "hair gangsta thugs" you ain't right, IDare! Not right at all. "giggle:

Anyway you guys PAY your $6.50/$13...so you should have the full benefit of it. Many naturals take/give advice freely w/ the relaxed. It's only some folks that cause the problem! ;) :)

BTW, here's a few leave-in moisture choices I think work nicely for relaxed/stretching hair Dudley's PCA for non stretchers and Lacio Lacio for both stretched and non strechers alike. My mother is crazy about the latter because she says it "melts" her NG well. I use both too, so they're good for hair in either state, IMHO.

I mentioned this one earlier in the thread and it is Taliah Waajid protective Mist Bodifier. Please use lightly as a little goes a long way. It is the perfect detangler and moisturizer for the winter months too. If you have to dilute it, then do so, but use only a little at a time. It is very good.

:lachen:@ "hair gangsta thugs" you ain't right, IDare! Not right at all. "giggle:

Anyway you guys PAY your $6.50/$13...so you should have the full benefit of it. Many naturals take/give advice freely w/ the relaxed. It's only some folks that cause the problem! ;) :)

Like Aggie said: Thank God for Choice.

A Woman's Right to Choose.:grin:

I would never "Force" My Opinion about what someone else chooses to do on another person.:look:

It's So totally Counterproductive Especially when we all have the Same End Goal. Healthy Hair.

Be It, Natural, Transitioned, Texlaxed, Bone Straight.

So, why would I waste my Time Arguing over something as trivial as that? If I want to Argue, I could stay at Work.:lachen:

*goes back to thank Aggie for her post*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back