How to Fry Your Hair

I feel bad for her :ohwell: My hair looked WORSE than that before I found hair boards.

One thing that I've learned from us posting all these youtube vids though...

We're not helping by sitting there taking about it people. It makes us look catty and judgemental (even though I know for the most part, we aren't).

I blame it on our hair obsession and our passion for it :lol:

I don't know... it's just the tone of it. It's like looking at a car accident and making comments on it.

Not that I'm telling anyone to censor themselves, but we all know we all had to start from somewhere. I know that there are others here who started out like me and her.

Another thing is that words can hurt. I'm sure no one has any ill will toward this woman, but she may read this and be made to feel bad about it instead of getting help and information.

I'm not mad... just felt that it should be said.

I'm going to send her a message linking her to some popular hairboards. Please be gentle in this thread.

Yeah I was watching this video while I was looking for some short hair styling tips and I was taken back. But I have to say that years ago I was doing the EXACT same thing. She doesn't know a better way so she is doing the best she can with what she knows. I couldn't ever say one thing negative because I was in her shoes at one point in time.

You know, that makes a lot of sense, Neith. I'm natural, but one night (okay more than one) I went looking for youtube videos about relaxed hair. Because I KNOW most women relax their hair and I want to see what they're being taught and shown that can change the overall perception of black hair in our community. I know there are lots of natural hair videos, but I'd like to see more women with relaxed -- or chemically altered at all -- hair. Because I know the girls from my hometown aren't going to look at a natural hair one but they would look at a relaxed one, and it'd be great for them to learn a thing or two about how to care for their hair as opposed to seeing what they've heard at "the beauty shop" their whole lives. Because that's the girl I would have been if I didn't find the hair boards.

Yeah I was watching this video while I was looking for some short hair styling tips and I was taken back. But I have to say that years ago I was doing the EXACT same thing. She doesn't know a better way so she is doing the best she can with what she knows. I couldn't ever say one thing negative because I was in her shoes at one point in time.
^^ Exactly what I was thinking.

I think that if you have short hair, and you plan on keeping it short, you have a little more leeway with how you style, color and comb it. In the first vid, her ends looked fine and her hair looked healthy. I think it worked for the style she was trying to achieve. I know my hair would never have that much "volume" unless I layered on the product and used 100 bobby pins. I would never be able to style my hair like that in this lifetime. I thought her hair was cute.

I haven't watched the second video yet.

Yeah I totally agree with that! While wearing my hair really short with a relaxer, It was a totally different process. I got my hair cut regularly so I never had to worry about split ends. I could also wash it more often and set it without worry of drying ends or breakage. This growing my hair out is a whole nother ball game!

OMGGGGGGG!! See i thought i was the only one watching these kind of videos. Check out this one..I was biting my nails as she combed out her ends :nono:...and then added a SERIOUS amount of grease adding heat...but ironically she still has alot of hair..:ohwell:..idk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaoZIeZKQbU&feature=related

I have to agree she was pretty rough with her hair. I cringed when she was combing it out, only because I'm very tender headed. But again after all of that heat, grease, and combing, she still has alot of hair. I would be bald if I used that technique, but to each is own. Some people just have strong hair, very strong hair!

OMGGGGGGG!! See i thought i was the only one watching these kind of videos. Check out this one..I was biting my nails as she combed out her ends :nono:...and then added a SERIOUS amount of grease adding heat...but ironically she still has alot of hair..:ohwell:..idk

That video is wrong on so many levels :nono: She said she washed her hair two days ago so she couldn't do it again because black hair will dry out?? :wallbash:

well i think its okay to rough with your hair like that if you want to keep short hair, whats the point of taking care of it if you are only gonna cut off all the NG at the next touch up. I love me some heat, i only stopped using it since i am trying to grow out my hair

Did you watch all four parts of the video? In the second part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOqFOt9918 she uses a heat protectant, and even advises her viewers to not use heat if they don't use heat protectant.

Even though I don't care for the hairstyle, I know that short hair requires more styling than longer hair *shrug*

Maybe someone could direct her to this sight instead of gawking at her method.
We are in the minority when it comes to hair care practices. Sorry to say, but most black women are doing this to their hair regularly so we shouldn't be so surprised.

And like gimbap said, I think short hair is a bit different if you are keeping it short. My hair looked its best when I was relaxed and had my hair cut about an inch longer than this lady's and it looked fine (I curled it every other day). At least she used heat protectant, which is more than what I used to do.

I'm definately not trying to be mean and I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, but gawking at here video isn't going to help her and from past history we all know what happens. Eventually she is going to see this thread.

I feel bad for her :ohwell: My hair looked WORSE than that before I found hair boards.

One thing that I've learned from us posting all these youtube vids though...

We're not helping by sitting there taking about it people. It makes us look catty and judgemental (even though I know for the most part, we aren't).

I blame it on our hair obsession and our passion for it :lol:

I don't know... it's just the tone of it. It's like looking at a car accident and making comments on it.

Not that I'm telling anyone to censor themselves, but we all know we all had to start from somewhere. I know that there are others here who started out like me and her.

Another thing is that words can hurt. I'm sure no one has any ill will toward this woman, but she may read this and be made to feel bad about it instead of getting help and information.

I'm not mad... just felt that it should be said.

I'm going to send her a message linking her to some popular hairboards. Please be gentle in this thread.
Exactly! Quoted for emphasis.

I thought her hairstyle is cute. If someone decides to post a message on her vid, I hope they will do it politely. I remember that poor college student got blasted for her techniques. Some of those comments were down right nasty about the fact that she used grease.:nono: Different strokes for different folks. Shoot, there are a lot women on this site that still use grease. Anyway, If you plan to invite her to check out LHCF, please be polite when doing so. Remember, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

Last edited:
I just fast forwarded through it all she did was flatiron and use oilsheen right? The girl with the short hair?
Doesnt seem that bad to me.
Hair didnt look damaged to me or anything.

I bet short hair is no joke to keep up (or is it easier?), I would sure be looking for some dang tutorials....Because i know you cant just get it done once every week or 2 weeks like people do with their longer hair at the salon.

You know even though her hair is short, it still looks healthy to me. It is thick and her ends look good. I styled my hair EXACTLY like this when it was short. The only difference is I curled the top instead of spiking it. Her styling methods are exactly how I did it. Spritzing, curling iron, marcel waxing, brown gelling, you name it, I did it. :lachen: But you know what, when my hair was short, it was thick and healthy, it just wouldn't grow long. I guess it was because I kept getting it cut every month. Anyway, she is doing the best she can do with her hair. It looks fine on her.

Last edited:
It is NOOOO joke to keep up! Thats why I'm growing it out. I want to be able to "bun" my hair or throw it in a quick ponytail and call it a day. No wash and go's every day with a relaxer when you have short hair... Unless you want to walk around looking crazy all day. Wigs, weaves, and everything else gets to be expensive so short hair wearer have to keep it up. sometimes that means using more heat than most and more product.

If it works for her and others, who am I to sit here like she's wrong? If she found new ways to care for her hair that worked, then that's one thing. For the record, her hair does look nice and we've all treated our hair like that and worse.

I will not knock her. . .

lol@ the comment

"im black so my hair is permed..."

i think its the "so" that bugs me about that statement. but i do agree with what everyone said about short hair...my bff has short hair and she abuses the hell out of it cause she gets it cut every 4-6 weeks. it's always really cute though!!!

lol@ the comment

"im black so my hair is permed..."

i think its the "so" that bugs me about that statement. but i do agree with what everyone said about short hair...my bff has short hair and she abuses the hell out of it cause she gets it cut every 4-6 weeks. it's always really cute though!!!

I agree. Black doesn't equal an automatic chemical fix!

Her hair looked so greasy. A hot comb AND flat iron? My ends would punish me gravely if I brushed them the way she did :(

I have to agree she was pretty rough with her hair. I cringed when she was combing it out, only because I'm very tender headed. But again after all of that heat, grease, and combing, she still has alot of hair. I would be bald if I used that technique, but to each is own. Some people just have strong hair, very strong hair!

Well in the beginning she stated that she has strong hair and not to worry.

I remember I used to put grease on my hair...then flat iron or hot comb it. It stayed relatively thick..actually so thick I almost didn't know what to do with it.So it is never shocking when I see people do this and still have thick hair, I really just feel bad for them since progress may be hindered. Because although my hair was thick it stayed APL all my life.I am just glad I don't do that now.

Yeah, the vid looked like she was going pretty rough with the brushing but it seems her hair can take it. It looks pretty healthy and thick to me :look:

I wouldn't do it myself because my hair is not that strong even when I was a natural, but it works for her :yep:

Back