ateya's proclaim hair gel.

I am really unclear as to why her stylist was okay with relaxing so soon after taking down braids and washing. I would think that would be the recipie for continue disaster.

But I do love Ateeya. She was the one who got me started on my HHJ last November, which eventually led me to this board. I really hate to see her go through this, and I am not too fond of her stylist right now.

Last edited:
I am really unclear as to why her stylist was okay with relaxing so soon after taking down braids and washing. I would think that would be the recipie for continue disaster.

But I do love Ateeya. She was the one who got me started on my HHJ last November, which eventually led me to this board. I really hate to see her go through this, and I am not too fond of her stylist right now.
I must say, I don't like the advice her stylist gives. He told her that the reason why she had the setback is because she rubbed her hair in a circular motion. :nono:

Her hair is NOT cute....sorry. Its all thin and broken.:nono: i dont kno why so many pple oogle over her hair:ohwell:
People oogle over every little thing that she does good or bad( like this mess right now) and you wonder why she has celebrity status ya"ll Give it to her by making a story out of every little thing that she does. LOL!:lachen: I LOVE ATEYAA! She will bounce back because she is such a strong person. I just feel like everyone does what they feel is best for their hair and thats what she do. she always say thats what works for her and it do. there are many people on here that WISH they had that "swang" like ateyaa. JUST DO YOU! and 4 my girl ateyaa KEEP DOING YOUR THING ATEYAA GIRL YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!

Last edited:
I must say, I don't like the advice her stylist gives. He told her that the reason why she had the setback is because she rubbed her hair in a circular motion. :nono:
Well we all know how "professional" and "knowledgeable" some stylists are. :rolleyes:

I never understood why LHCF ladies thought brown gel was so bad. I use it occasionally in my hair with no problems :perplexed... my cousin who had long apl/bsl thick hair (she cuts regularly) recommended I use it because it works for her, and I've never looked back

okay, she was recommended to use the proclaim high protein hair gel. How do you feel about this recommendation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsmRR8OaIE

the hair gel is at the end of the video.

Eh, I don't agree with it. But I'm sure it works for some people. No gel of any kind can lay my hair down, but castor oil works really well.

She's just not someone I'd take a product recommendation from. But if it works for her, great!

Maybe she's recommending it like a "protien treatment" Brown gel can be like a protien treatment if your hair really needs it.

Back in the day before I started taking care of my hair, if it got to the point that it was mushy feeling and "overconditioned" I would slick my hair into a bun for a few days with brown gel and that would "bring it back". It would be thicker, stronger and have more body than it had before. I didn't know at the time that my hair needed the protien that was in the gel.

One summer I wore a slicked up weave ponytail using gel the whole summer and when I went back to my beautcian in the fall, she said my hair was heathier than she'd ever seen it. (My hair was usually not taken care of between salon visits) I still didn't know that it was the protien in the gel.

Now if your hair is protien sensitive, any kind (color) of protien gel can be a disaster.

I never combed through it to get it out though.

O personally would just use a protein treatment and use some aloe vera gel to slick any hairs back. I personally can't do the brown or clear proclaim gel it makes my hair flake something serious.

i love the brown protein gel. it was a definite staple while i was in training. daily i sprayed lv-in con, perm repair for moisture, and slick my short hair with the gel. in a matter of 2 months i was back in a ponytail. that was the greatest hair experience of my life. all i did was wash and conditioned weekly, mon & wed greased my scalp with botanicals 3-in-1 (love the tingle), and used the three products to slick my hair daily.

She didn't tell anyone they should use brown gel, she is telling us what she is going to do for HER situation....

I didn't hear her tell anyone on LHCF to run out and buy brown gel and start using it today. You all can carry on as you were.

I like her positive attitude too. We could use more of it in the world.

Brown Gel?

I have never used it, so - I am not sure how effective it is. It must work well for serious slick downs..... :yep:

I can't get down with the brown gel, but if it works for her so be it. I try not to be too concerned with what others are doing if it doesn't involve me. I like her positivity and willings to share her experience so it won't happen to others!

I use brown gel sometimes:look: but I make sure I put a hair cream (prefect for perms) on my hair before I apply the gel. It doesnt leave my hair stiff and caked up. Its like I never had jell in it at all. I was my hair every 3-4 days so it doesnt bother me.

I had a major setback back in the 90's. My stylist ended up cutting my hair because it was so damaged. She used brown gel when she did my ponytails. (I'm sure some of you remember those big stacked ponytails we wore back then) Within about 6 months, I went from EL to almost SL. I didn't know it back then but I know now that my hair loves protein. I don't think there's anything wrong with using brown gel. I don't know why some people think it's the :heated:. Everything doesn't work for everybody.

So wait...Why did I stop using brown gel?

Thank you! I was so confused when she said he relaxed her hair..which seemed to be less than 24 hours after she tooked her sew in out. I would never have the nerve!

She didn't tell anyone they should use brown gel, she is telling us what she is going to do for HER situation....

I didn't hear her tell anyone on LHCF to run out and buy brown gel and start using it today. You all can carry on as you were.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. It was her stylist's recommendation..she hasn't started it yet.

Btw, the reason I fined brown gel questionable is because I have seen so many females walking around with crusty hair..because they use it wrong. It got me a little scared...lol

I like watching Ateyaaa"s hair videos. She's cool. She shows and does what works for her, and I have heard her say it several times, it works for her.

I am natural and do not follow any of her hair practices because they do not suit what I do with my hair.

There is a wealth of knowledge and infomation right here on LHCF, but at the end of reading any post, I can only do what's right for me.

I am sure it took a lot for her to post her setback, I am sure most others in her position would not have been able to do so. She's to be commended for sticking to what she believes good or bad-that's most likely why so many people like her.

Hair gel, no comment never used one, other than Whipped Jelly from Hairveda.

Why does everyone have to approve on this board what Ateyaa does?:ohwell: What she does is about HER hair. It's not gospel. I don't use any type gel period. I don't care who recommends whatever type gel. Ya'll pick on her too much.

I have 3c hair and I always thought brown gel was the debil too, but I recently discovered the beauty of (brown) ecostyler or (clear) proclaim gel on my wash n' gos. I get the most beautiful curls. I have never ever had a problem with breakage because of that gel. I will never be without it.

ETA: I always rake it into freshly washed hair apply it over some type of leave in cheapie conditioner and a bit of oil. If I am touching up I rub a dab of gel between wet palms and smooth or scrunch my hair. As we speak I have a five-day-old curly ponytail.

I feel bad for Ateyaa about her set back, but haven't we all been there somehow? I looked at the latest video and in my opinion, she just needs to cut her hair straight across the bottom and keep it moving. :yep:
I've got to try this again....I use to use brown gel and it never bothered my hair at all. Now, if I try to fry my hair with it, that's another story.

Thank you and we could use more of it on LHCF!

Why does everyone have to approve on this board what Ateyaa does?:ohwell: What she does is about HER hair. It's not gospel. I don't use any type gel period. I don't care who recommends whatever type gel. Ya'll pick on her too much.
If moonglowdiva is on here fussin in the hair forum, some of ya'll need to stop:look::lachen:

The lady does what she wants to with her hair, just like we all do. Some of us do one thing and some of us do another.....it's all good!

She is making the decisions for her hair....let her be.:yep:

I love this gel. It really defines my curls and gives me great slicked back ponytails. I don't use a whole lot when I apply this on my hair.

I didn't like gel, because I was using it in the wrong way. I think if you use it correctly then you will be okay. I will say that Ateya didn't post in that video the gel as a recommendation for anyone to try. She just mentioned that her beautician told HER to try it. I've used things she has recommended such as Aphogee and i loved it! At the end of the day, we can take a recommendation for what we choose. Ateya didn't put a gun to my head and make me buy it nor did she pay for it. I did. Not directed at you OP. :)

Back