How To Attract A Rich Man

Wow at that Genieve (sp?) article.

They are already at wits end with me especially with recent events. She is playing the game!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Marlo
Gene
Shala

None come from money (but I think Gene lied about her upbringings?). All darkskin, slim and fairly attractive. All w/ WM. Marlo is the only one with a college education.

Can you guys think of any other BW who come from nothing and got their ins through men? I'd like to study them.

...oh, there's another girl, I can't think of her name right now but she had a baby by a top $,$$$,$$$ NYC exec while he was married. She met him through philanthropy. Again, she comes from nothing, but got an education and got involved in NYC philanthropy scene and met him. He's a much older, Black guy.

NYC is a goldmine. You slim, at least fairly attractive, into philanthropy/art/fashion/literature gals who live in NYC should have no problem scoring a RM

Shala - literature, art and fashion (she met her guy while working at a restaurant though...but she was into lit and fashion before she met him)
Gene - fashion
Marlo, not NYC --- fashion, philanthropy
Baby by exec chick -- philanthropy

RM love those stories of "started from the bottom now I'm here"; entrepreneurs, especially.

Going back to Shala and Marlo (I know I'm all over the place) they both had women in their lives who who "helped" them: an aunt, to be specific. Every girl who doesn't come from money needs that female mentor who has been around money, who can put them onto game, get them connections, sorta like what you ladies have been mentioning above.

Lots of truth in this post. In Shala's case I would think it was Miuccia Prada that really hipped her to the game. Come to think of it she doesn't get anything but good press for doing essentially the same thing Genevieve did. I think the difference is that
her connections (Gagosian and Prada) >>>>>>>>>>>>>Genevieve's connections.

I think Shala has actually broken the circle while Genevieve may be viewed more as a hanger on. Goes back to FemmeFatale's point earlier

The Rise of the Black Socialite

Once upon a time, being a socialite meant something. It wasn’t a term casually thrown around. The socialite of yesteryear was born into wealth. Sure she dabbled in charity work from here to there, but to be ambitious and hold a career? Simply unthinkable. Although many aspired to the illustrious title, only a chosen few were ever able to claim the coveted title.

Flash-forward to present day, and not only can almost anyone become a “socialite”, but the term has lost its prestige. We’ve become accustomed to the socialite of today- young, ditzy twenty somethings that believe that money equals class. These so called “socialites” are able to engage in raunchy faux pas without losing their title. What’s a blue blood socialite to do? Enter the black socialite. Those considered to be black socialites have attempted to raise the bar by relying on more than good looks and a family name. Our image in the media has always been haunted by stereotypes, creating a standard for what is considered “black” and in what context we are to be viewed.

Although part of me is thrilled to see African-American’s placed in a light of self-made wealth, I sometimes cringe at the idea of what a socialite represents. For African-American woman, that choose this jet setting lifestyle, is it a sell out? In many ways African-American women have come so far on our own terms, that to label powerful and successful black women as socialites, well isn’t that just alluding to the importance of superficial titles?

With an onslaught of modern day black socials, a new definition of what it means to be a socialite has been created. Modern day black socials are no strangers to adversity, but they serve as a model for how varied African Americans truly are. Hate it or love it, this list of black socialites have had a heavy hand to play in shaping the way that African-Americans are viewed in the upper echelon of modern media. These modern socials not only grace the pages of Vogue on a regular or attend the most talked about galas, but they are business owners, fashion pioneers, and public service mavens. Regardless of ones acceptance of the term, these women are all socials to watch and embrace, for a changing time.

The Ingénue : Shala Monroque
Picture-1872111.png

At the age of 31 years old, Shala Monroque has arrived. Considered a regular fixture on the New York social scene, Monroque recently resigned from editor-at-large for Pop magazine. Monroque divides her time between her residences in Paris and New York, traveling the world for fabulous events. Monroque has already graced the pages of major fashion publications like Harper’s Bazaar, but the stylish socials heart doesn’t simply lie in fashion. Up next for this social butterfly is to see if she can turn her love for art, into a career that’s as fabulous as her wardrobe.

A Family Affair : Valerie
Jarrett

To those who hold fast to the notion that socialites shouldn’t work, Valerie Jarrett challenges that notion. Currently a White House Senior Advisor, Valerie holds degrees from both Stanford and The University of Michigan. Valerie was born in Iran and grew up speaking Persian. The Jarrett’s come from a distinguished line of academics. Valerie’s mother was a noted child advocate while her father was a distinguished professor at the University of Chicago and a great grand father that was the first African American to graduate from M.I.T. Although Valerie started her legal career in private practice, she soon made a transition to public interest when her daughter Laura was born.

Laura Jarrett
Picture-18211111.png

A former student at Harvard Law School (’10), Laura Jarrett has made a name for herself, for being not only smart but stylish as well. As if having President Obama attend her graduation party wasn’t enough, while still in law school Laura began making regular appearances in Vogue for her designer ensembles. Only time will tell what the young Jarrett will eventually do, but surely her reputation for balancing looks and brains makes her a social on the rise.

The Fighter : Bonnie Morrison

Picture-1841111.png

The world of fashion PR is extremely cut throat. So many starry-eyed girls coasting on daddy’s money, but so few companies actually looking to hire. So when Bonnie Morrison moved up in the fashion food chain, it was a refreshing change to an otherwise cookie-cutter industry. Although Morrison has had the privilege of working at KCD, running some of the top fashion shows, and serving as an editor at Men’s Vogue, she sometimes has self doubts and has fallen victim to industry demons, “I’ve internalized race to a degree that I sort of believe that the ideal beauty, when we’re casting for things is—I’ve let myself believe that it’s a white person, ” Morrison said. (Newsweek) After receiving a major social boost from her latest title as a global fashion fixture, perhaps her confidence will also get a much-needed boost as well.

An Intriguing Beauty : Genevieve Jones
Picture-1853111.png

Compared to a modern day Holly Golightly, when Genevieve made her debut onto the New York social scene, a trail of mystery and controversy followed. Genevieve first landed on the public’s radar when she consistently graced the pages of fashion magazine’s social sections. In 2006 rumors began swirling around the New York social scene that Genevieve’s sudden rise was do to funding she received from a married man. Since that tumultuous time, Genevieve has regained the spotlight by focusing on her career. Genevieve Jones’ eponymous jewelry line made its debut in 2008, and has been receiving rave reviews ever since. The rumors about her past have all seemed to have sizzled, but one thing still going strong is Genevieve’s fresh sense of style and focus on the future.

Lots of truth in this post. In Shala's case I would think it was Miuccia Prada that really hipped her to the game. Come to think of it she doesn't get anything but good press for doing essentially the same thing Genevieve did. I think the difference is that
her connections (Gagosian and Prada) >>>>>>>>>>>>>Genevieve's connections.

I think Shala has actually broken the circle while Genevieve may be viewed more as a hanger on. Goes back to @FemmeFatale's point earlier

re: the passage of mine you bolded

I'm referring to her start from the very beginning, before Larry, before Prada. Her aunt was into fashion and worked in the NYC fashion world. Her aunt invited Shala to fashion shows and thats when Shala fell in love with fashion and the high society scene. That was her first taste of the "good life", that was her first "taste" of what was possible outside of her everyday life.

In the cause of Marlo Hampton, her aunt put her onto the sug-daddy game...

Every gal who doesn't come from money needs a female figure who can give them that taste of the good life before they start dating RM (rich men)..and it can come in so many forms....hell, this thread, & many other threads here are a great resource........................

@Ogoma I've heard of Julia. Quite stunning. What's her story? Who's her RM?

Laura doesn't "count" to me in the "how to attract a rich man" arena...I mean she's already rich, by birth (and married now, no?) Fabulous, pretty and smart gal...yes indeed.

Last edited:
I as about to say who the hell is Shala :lol: Thanks Ogoma

Although part of me is thrilled to see African-American’s placed in a light of self-made wealth, I sometimes cringe at the idea of what a socialite represents. For African-American woman, that choose this jet setting lifestyle, is it a sell out? In many ways African-American women have come so far on our own terms, that to label powerful and successful black women as socialites, well isn’t that just alluding to the importance of superficial titles?

:rolleyes:

@Ogoma I've heard of Julia. Quite stunning. What's her story? Who's her RM?

Laura doesn't "count" to me in the "how to attract a rich man" arena...I mean she's already rich, by birth (and married now, no?) Fabulous, pretty and smart gal...yes indeed.

I don't know anything about her love life. I just love her life. :lol: She is Senegalese-French and an editor for a magazine (can't remember which one).

Who are the rich men for Shala, Bonnie or Genevieve? I think Jarrett (the one born into money) is the only one married to a rich man as mentioned in this thread.

Makes one wonder if the socialite route is the way to go. :lol:

Julia is editor of a mag..is that what makes her a socialite and what type of men does she hang with

I like her style however..least Sengelese can be proud of her..unlike Gabby..:look:

Oh the girl whose name I couldn't remember up above, I got it now, she's Macdella Cooper and the guy is Dick Parson (citigroup, Time Warner, $100 MILL net worth). The situation is totally on the ratchet side but the point is she was able to attract a RM (rich man)

Have you seen his wife? She looks older than him if you can imagine that. No excuse for his bad behavior though.

^Genny used a rich ex to get into circles/finance her life. shala met hers in a resturant and we all know how Marlo came up :lol:

@Thumbz
honestly, IME & IMO, I've learned that most people an be persuaded or won over with determination mixed with good game. I spit game on potential women friends/associates women same as I do with men. TBH, women are the easiest to win over if you appeal to their ego and their covert neediness for attention. Listen intently, watch their body language, gas em up, give em compliments. tell em ish they wanna hear, pretend to gaf like you are really invested in whatever boring bs they have going on to earn their trust and interest. That's how you make friends. :look:

Heyyyy! I was a victim of this. :ohwell: I wondered why this woman was so pressed to be my friend. She gave me so many compliments that I began to feel uncomfortable. She was an older woman in my grad program.

She would introduce me to "important" students on campus and tell them how magnificent I was. You'd think she was a bragging mother (or my publicist). Then came payback time.... :lol: She wanted me to work on her research project (for publication), but I'd be getting second billing while doing a majority of the research (because I'm so extraordinary :lol: ). I declined. I even stood her up twice :look: and she was still trying to be my "friend".

She wears me down and eventually I'm helping her pass a statistics course (i.e. doing the work), because she was in a bind and the work was due in a few days. Fast forward several months, and I attend a professional association conference where I was presenting. After my presentation, one of the attendees introduced herself, praised me on my work, and said they recently met a "study partner" of mine named Jane Doe. It turns out that my ol' buddy was attempting to get a somewhat high profile internship with this woman's organization and she mentioned that I'd be presenting at the annual conference. She then invites me to her conference roundtable and proceeds to ask me questions about Jane Doe's qualifications, and whether or not we worked on similar projects together.

Anyhow, I now see your point barbiesocialite . Her method worked. You have no idea how much you have motivated me to change my approach/outlook! :sneakyhug:

Oh the girl whose name I couldn't remember up above, I got it now, she's Macdella Cooper and the guy is Dick Parson (citigroup, Time Warner, $100 MILL net worth). The situation is totally on the ratchet side but the point is she was able to attract a RM (rich man)

bio_half.png

637231_parsons_3_.jpg

Wait what about her? I know her somewhat through introduction (business). What about her?!

Heyyyy! I was a victim of this. :ohwell: I wondered why this woman was so pressed to be my friend. She gave me so many compliments that I began to feel uncomfortable. She was an older woman in my grad program.

She would introduce me to "important" students on campus and tell them how magnificent I was. You'd think she was a bragging mother (or my publicist). Then came payback time.... :lol: She wanted me to work on her research project (for publication), but I'd be getting second billing while doing a majority of the research (because I'm so extraordinary :lol: ). I declined. I even stood her up twice :look: and she was still trying to be my "friend".

She wears me down and eventually I'm helping her pass a statistics course (i.e. doing the work), because she was in a bind and the work was due in a few days. Fast forward several months, and I attend a professional association conference where I was presenting. After my presentation, one of the attendees introduced herself, praised me on my work, and said they recently met a "study partner" of mine named Jane Doe. It turns out that my ol' buddy was attempting to get a somewhat high profile internship with this woman's organization and she mentioned that I'd be presenting at the annual conference. She then invites me to her conference roundtable and proceeds to ask me questions about Jane Doe's qualifications, and whether or not we worked on similar projects together.

Anyhow, I now see your point barbiesocialite . Her method worked. You have no idea how much you have motivated me to change my approach/outlook! :sneakyhug:

I know people like this. I call them "instant best friend" : add water and shake.

I usually shut down around people like this :look: And of course you hook your friends up! Why wouldn't anyone? I'd hope they would do the same for me too. However ...someone deliberately trying to friend me to get something is usually held at arms length. They fall into associate category though they'll never know it :lachen: .

The method can work, but others catch on to it. I think it's best to become friends with people you actually not just someone who can do something for you (it's a plus if they can and most friends will)...even if you're diving into a new circle. I'm referring to the situation you described only.

Last edited:
I know people like this. I call them instant best friend: add water and shake.

I usually shut down around people like this :look: I have a lot to offer as a friend imo so I want those who like me to be sincere. And of course you hook your friends up! Why wouldn't anyone as I'd hope they would do for me too? But still...someone deliberately trying to friend me to get something is usually held at arms length. They fall into associate category though they'll never know it :lachen: .

I think it's good to get into circles and have friends who support each others "interests" but I do think "Friend" is the word that is important. The person should really truly want to be a friend and not just advance. That type of person can throw you under a bus if need be later if you fell out of favor or could no longer do what they "need" you to do. Where's the loyalty in that?

I'm glad you made this post. Everyone you meet will not be your friend. that's just common fact of the matter. It's life, ish happens.

The beauty of living in a world with billions of people and endless diversity is that you get to experience people as individuals. Part of that means that realistically you will not connect or mesh with everyone you meet. Not everything is meant to be. It's life. However, the good news is that for every one or two people you may not blend with, there are hundreds more just like them and millions more who arent that may be a better fit.

Women will be women sometimes. can't take it personal. Even still women are still individuals. If it doesnt work out with one, you simply K.I.M. on to the next and simply find a person(s) that are more compatible with your personality and share mutual interest and/or affinity. :yep:

I'm glad you made this post. Everyone you meet will not be your friend. that's just common fact of the matter. It's life, ish happens.

The beauty of living in a world with billions of people and endless diversity is that you get to experience people as individuals. Part of that means that realistically you will not connect or mesh with everyone you meet. Not everything is meant to be. It's life. However, the good news is that for every one or two people you may not blend with, there are hundreds more just like them and millions more who arent that may be a better fit.

Women will be women sometimes. can't take it personal. Even still women are still individuals. If it doesnt work out with one, you simply K.I.M. on to the next and simply find a person(s) that are more compatible with your personality and share mutual interest and/or affinity. :yep:

Yep. I think the important thing is to know yourself and what you want: the types of friends, relationships, business, etc. Whether someone likes you or not is moot because you can't make everyone love you and good luck trying. I think we can be gracious in public settings of course and even my associates will call me a "friend", I guess I just separate the "difference" in my mind so that I protect myself so to speak.

Going to these events, I think it's important to just get out there. Yes some people will judge you, someone will think "who are you?" cause they haven't seen you before, and some will barrage you with questions to find out more :lol:. Then there are some who will instantly hit it off with you, and some who warm up overtime. Oh well. The important thing to me is to know who I am and not worry about what others project onto me.

Last edited:
I know a young woman who's changed her image from that of a girl of fairly modest means to that of a very high class, well-off lady. I know how modest because we were roommates my first year of college, and I know how well off because we had the same high-ish paying job our first year out of college. I know how methodical she is about everything, and absolutely no one could doubt that her image is not funded by some rich parents, as is the case for people our age. But she's done it herself. I have zero doubt that she will marry rich because I doubt that certain people will approach her if they feel they cannot help her maintain or probably upgrade her lifestyle.

We studied the same thing in college, actually, and after our first year we kept in touch sporadically. Our subject of choice taught us a few things about observing groups. There's something called "signaling." You 'signal' to others certain values without having to say anything. I think she espoused that well.

A few things she's done... while the rest of us were shopping at TJMaxx (:nono:) or Banana Republic for our banking suits, she stuck to a very simple and limited wardrobe from places such as Brooks Brothers. She said she decided to invest in a few $90+ button downs that she dry cleans regularly. Invested in an expensive trench. I think from there too... My Banana trench, which I loved dearly, paled in comparison to hers. Hers always looked so CRISP!

She would frequently wear the same outfits to work, in various combinations, but she looked far more put-together than the many others, myself included, whose wardrobes were probably cracking under the weight of unimpressive clothing. She said she had a dry cleaning budget that she always stuck to, and that seemed to make a huge difference in her presentation.

She really didn't skimp when it comes to that (presentation). Her gym bag, for example, cost a couple hundred. You know, while the rest of us brought canvas or mesh bags from Nike. I don't know if she sought out sales (probably), but she got herself Fendi bags, wallets, and when we met up for drinks 2 months ago, she was rocking a very vibrant blue Prada, I think.

Having studied in Italy and spent time in various countries of Europe (study abroad), she was particular about brands and partial to the Italian. An LV bag is common in the US, but you won't see any random person in a Fendi, would you?

One day, she saw me in a shift dress and said: where is that from? You look fresh out of an Yves St Laurent magazine:lol: I am pretty sure my entire outfit was from Banana. But hey, if it looks like YSL, then okay!:yay:

My senior year, she invited me and a friend to take a wine class with her in Cambridge. Turns out that she found out this new wine store was opening, called it up, and set up organized this wine-tasting/learning session. She obviously took it very seriously. She asked a lot of question, while one of my BFFs and I were more concerned about drinking the samples and eating the accompanying appetizers:lol:

She managed to find a reduced price apartment (I don't know how!) a block away from the most expensive street in Boston. It was to the point that she would see the global head of our division on his jog in the morning, or while he would be walking his dog. He even mentioned it out loud in a group setting once, and I'm sure jealousy and confusion raged in many hearts in the room.

She's artistically inclined and took up painting as a serious hobby. I don't know if she got around to selling her work, but they were abstract and contemporary and quite interesting enough that she could get thousands for each. I remember being annoyed, when we were 18, at all the charcoal on our dorm room floor from her sketching, but that paid off:yep:

She also speaks several languages, as do I, but I think some people are especially interested in fluency in romantic languages, for good or bad reasons. She's used that to her advantage professionally, as at only 25, she's been asked to lead a small group abroad (she just left for Europe this week). No doubt that being a 6-foot tall blond has helped. She's been despised by people at work, but there is no doubt in my mind that other senior women like her, and older white men who might be attracted to her are interested in pulling her up the ladder.

With that said, the girl is not a floozy. I admire her for her dedication. We were part of a group of a handful who graduated with Latin Honors in our department, I did some interview prep with her and she got the position without previous experience, and once in, she really focused on excelling. I personally think that the work and that company are bullish!t, and I was not a good fit at ALL for sales, but she found a niche where her personality, her language skills, and her ability to talk intelligently about things could take her far, and she has excelled there.

Basically, she has put in the work and invested thousands into her image, both from the looks perspective but also, and especially, from the CULTURAL representation of wealth. Those who do not know that will certainly assume that she comes from wealth (many have inquired).

Obviously she's getting money from somewhere. I take it you dont know much about her ropmantic life, else wouuld you explain being able to live in a really expensive area and things like that

Obviously she's getting money from somewhere. I take it you dont know much about her ropmantic life, else wouuld you explain being able to live in a really expensive area and things like that

Girl... She works for her money!:lol: that's an option!:rofl: we both started out in banking. I guess I could have afforded living somewhere more expensive too if I didn't care so much about saving as much as possible, which I proudly did that year.
She was dating a surgeon-in-training (ie, poor at the moment), and that relationship ended terribly. She's dated here and there, but nothing serious. IMO, while the image is great, I think she's isolated herself from many people of her age group, because that segment of town is largely inhabited by older and/or taken guys.

how was she able to live there as well, NOT save like you did, yet also buying Fendi and drycleaning everything

I think you are underestimating the white blonde thing. probbaly moved close to the global head for a reason. :look: js. :lol:

I'm taken aback by the assumption that she must be funded by a man, as though a woman couldn't have done these things for herself:confused::confused:

Well, maybe a few logistics, which are admittedly personal.
She lived with the medical student for the first few months on the job. During that time is when the wardrobe changed occurred. The relationship fell apart by December after we graduated, and she had to move into her own apartment by January. She told me that she didn't have enough money for the deposit and that her parents would help her out. I was shocked, because we had been working for almost six months at the time. But then it made sense that she didn't have it, because while I was saving, she was buying Fendi. Heck, even on RueLaLa, they are in the thousands during sales.

After our first year, I left the company. The expected thing after the first year is that your salary goes up by at the very least 25%, if you're part of the program we were doing. So, she's had more money since those first six months and can continue to use that for expensive items while I would rather count and save my pennies. Then bonuses and third year salaries, and being in sales, blah blah. I remember at the end of my first year, she came by to tell me that she was getting a corporate card and a blackberry. Show and tell, I guess, because I'd been given one too. But I hated that place! She didn't, and for that reason went far, both for her own work and because the appropriate people took a vested interest in her. Besides, sales people were the rockstars of that firm. Finding herself in that place meant she could go far in the company and be compensated appropriately.

Girl... She works for her money!:lol: that's an option!:rofl: we both started out in banking. I guess I could have afforded living somewhere more expensive too if I didn't care so much about saving as much as possible, which I proudly did that year.
She was dating a surgeon-in-training (ie, poor at the moment), and that relationship ended terribly. She's dated here and there, but nothing serious. IMO, while the image is great, I think she's isolated herself from many people of her age group, because that segment of town is largely inhabited by older and/or taken guys.

Boston is such a small city though? She can't be too isolated. What neighborhood does she live in, if you don't mind me asking. Just curious.

I'm moving to a wealthier part of town in a couple of weeks, mainly to be closer to my friends and the nightlife. It's more of a commute to work but I want to invest in my social life for awhile. I haven't really told too many people, because it's not sensible and could be seen as irresponsible :lol: :rolleyes:

I admire people that can spend that type of money on themselves. Even now that I could probably get away with it, I cannot bring myself to buy things in the thousands for myself. :nono:

Poverty mentality.

I admire people that can spend that type of money on themselves. Even now that I could probably get away with it, I cannot bring myself to buy things in the thousands for myself. :nono:

Poverty mentality.

:lol: I wouldn't call that a poverty mentality. You seem like a wise women, I'm you just found better things to spend your money on :lol:.

Apparently for personal happiness it's best to spend money on experiences as opposed to things. Of course I don't know how that factors into attracting a rich man, which I could definitely see adding to a person's happiness so I guess it goes both ways.

It just struck me as funny to hear you call it a poverty mentality, if anything it's the opposite, right?

Lol why would you be surprised by the assumption when you didnt give the full story(not to mention this thread is about rich men/tghose funded by rich man. not the independent woman movement)
Now that you've truly broken it don..her situation finally makes sense. Thanks.

im tryna figure out what that dissertation has to do with this particular thread...hmmmm
fela your response always slay me! lol-luv:lachen:

Lol why would you be surprised by the assumption when you didnt give the full story(not to mention this thread is about rich men/tghose funded by rich man. not the independent woman movement)
Now that you've truly broken it don..her situation finally makes sense. Thanks.

Back