How many of you gals go to the salon?

Salon or Home?

• Home

Votes: 228 78.4%
  • Salon

Votes: 63 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I go to the salon for all my relaxers and also when i just dont feel like doing my own hair or want to treat myself. I usually go 1-2 a month for a wash and deep condition and then every 3 1/2 -4 months for a relaxer

Years ago I went to the salon for touch-ups only. Then, for some reason, I forgot how to do my own hair even though I had been doing it for years and began going every two weeks. After finding LHCF I regained the confidence to do my hair myself again (isn't hard at all). I go to the salon for touch-ups only now. I won't do that myself. Besides, I deserve the treat every 10-12 weeks.

I go every 2-3 weeks. I try to alternate. I wash my hair one week, and I go to the dominicans the next. There's just something about having somebody else wash your hair... it feels better. :grin:

I go every 2-3 weeks. I try to alternate. I wash my hair one week, and I go to the dominicans the next. There's just something about having somebody else wash your hair... it feels better. :grin:

same here... it feels better and it comes out better too

The last time I visited the salon was when I started my hair journey almost two years ago. I went to get a trim because my hair was falling out badly. I haven't been back to a salon since.

My last salon visit was in December 06. I've been a DIYer ever since. My sister does my touchups but I trim myself.

I've been doing my hair myself for a little over a month. I'm never stepping foot in a salon again. In fact, I just finished my second rollerset and it looks fabulous. I can't stop touching my hair! Salon who?

*Dreams about buying a Pibbs 514...*

Home....
I've been doing my own hair for the past couple of years.. I grew my hair from chin length to APL w/o going to the salon....

Never when my hair was longer....then I started working at a salon---I had my hair done atleast twice a week....
then I left that job...
....cut my hair and haven't been to a salon since (2 years counting)
YET I plan on going bimonthly now...I really want to go natural and this will be my third attempt and this time around I would like some help

I do everything at home...now as for my relaxers I get my husband to help or my friend comes over and does it for me.

I'm going for a dusting today (unless I chicken out) and a deep conditiong and a protein treatment. I know I can do this all myself but sometimes I just want to keep my arms down and relax and enjoy the scalp massage. I like to be pampered occasionally. I used to go every single saturday though for a roller set. Now I only go once every couple of months.

This year I've been to the salon twice for my relaxer, once for my wedding hair, and twice to SuperCuts or Great Clips for my ends. Other than that, everything else is done at home. I've been doing my own hair for several years, I just had no clue as to what I was doing until I found this site. I plan on doing my next Phyto relaxer on my own (depending on whether I can stretch into a transition - 11 weeks and counting) and maybe only getting my ends clipped only once next year. Trying to make it to APL and don't want any setbacks caused by someone other than me. Otherwise, I'm going to have a :catfight:

Last edited:
I've had MANY bad experiences in the salon, I've had MANY bad experiences at home. (More at the salon than at home, because I care about the long term results) I believe there are some good stylist out there, I haven't found any recently. They either are great with your hair - bad with your time or vice versa. I decided if it's gonna take a long time or ruin by hair, I would rather not ruin my pocket book at the same time.

I do everything at home...
I would like to try going back to a salon. I miss going sometimes, I like the atmosphere to be honest lol! I'm just worried that I will once again run into a bad stylist and all of my hard work will be lost.

ETA: I've been to a salon once this year...and it was to cut layers into a sew-in weave!

I only go to a salon for a relaxer touchup and trim. I can duplicate salon results. I think it is because I take my time and have greatly improved with years of experience. You can do it too, just take your time.:yep:

I have not been to a salon since my journey started in April. I may go and let her flat iron it for a length check in a few months.

I go to the salon every 12-15 weeks for a relaxer, or when I'm 6+weeks post and I have a special occasion coming up. That's it for me!

I only go to the salon for retouches and occasional heavy protein treatments. All my light protein and DCs I do myself.

I've had so many bad experiences with salon's that I never want to set foot in one to get my hair done again. I've had my hair "trimmed" up to my earlobes when I only asked for a little off, I've had relaxers applied to my head that were so strong that I felt my scalp would melt, and right after that they want to blow dry and flat iron my hair WITHOUT CONDITIONING IT! I'm sure there are some really good salons out there, but I'm learning how to care for my hair myself, so I don't feel the need to go to one anymore.

I go for touchups & maybe a wash & set every couple months. I would love to be a total DIY-er b/c I hate sitting under that hot dryer & nobody is as gentle with my hair as I am.

I go for my touch-ups, when their is some special occasion, and rarely when I am just to lazy to wash it myself.

Back