How many of you gals go to the salon?

Salon or Home?

• Home

Votes: 228 78.4%
  • Salon

Votes: 63 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had some pretty traumatic experiences at the salon, I havent been there in five years. So most of the time I'm my own hair dresser :rolleyes:

I only go to the Salon for my touch ups. I use to be scared of washing and roller setting my hair at home. Overtime with practice it gets easier. No stylist will nurture my hair the way I do.

With the exception of weaves, when I wear my hair, it's cut short. So, I'm usually a slave to the salon, going almost every week. However, eventually I'd get fed up with the long waits and just go back to my weaves. I've taken down my last weave and am contemplating going to the salon, to get a cut that I can grow out. My hair is okay now, but I don't like the look of my ends..I much prefer the blunt look.

I have noticed that my hair grows better with salon visits. I guess because when it's done every 1 1/2 weeks or so, during that time I don't comb/brush/manipulate my hair at all.

I've had so many bad experiences with salon's that I never want to set foot in one to get my hair done again. I've had my hair "trimmed" up to my earlobes when I only asked for a little off, I've had relaxers applied to my head that were so strong that I felt my scalp would melt, and right after that they want to blow dry and flat iron my hair WITHOUT CONDITIONING IT! I'm sure there are some really good salons out there, but I'm learning how to care for my hair myself, so I don't feel the need to go to one anymore.

I'm in the same boat. The last stylist I went to relaxed my whole head. and the one before that overlapped a lot and had the relaxer dropping on my clothes. Never again:nono:

I have to start all over again due to stylists. I am learning to be a DIY now.

I go to the salon sometimes. I get my relaxers, trims, rinses, and occasional wash and sets there.
Off to the salon right now to sit under the hair steamer :yep:.

I kinda have to do it at home because I dont have enough money to plop down 60-80 for a touch up that may or may not include deep conditioner.

I go to the salon every 3months for my touchups. But as for all that other stuff i do it all at home. I've left my trims to one of my good friends.

I do my own natural hair at home. For about 2 years I would go to a natural salon here in Houston to treat myself or when I wanted an intricate style. Earlier this year they raised the prices beyond my comfort level and I have been doing my own hair ever since. I can do all the styles they do, but only cheaper. I do miss having someone else massage my head, but I don't think anyone else will take the time I take with my hair on detangling so I will continue to do it myself.

i only goto the salon to do braids when i dont have braids i dont even like going to the hair salon to get my hair washed cause they are a lil bit too rough :perplexed i love washing my own hair i can relax, rollerset and flat iron my own hair, i want to get my hair cut into a style but im so terrified of them hacking my hair :ohwell:

I do just about everything myself except braids.

My feeling is no one will take care of my hair like I will and even when I mess up I have no one to be made at but myself. I am learing and enjoying my hair at the same time.

DH just often Wednesday to pay for me to go to the salon and I was like why would I want to do that. They won't preepoo, and give me a really nice dc nor will they airdry before blowdrying. I will so I will continue to go to Ladyr's salon. It's free and it's fun and most of all I don't have to wait forever for Ladyr to do my hair.

I've been natural almost two years, and for the most part I'm a diy'er. I only occasionally to the salon for braid styles, trims and flat irons. I love pampering my hair at home because I can deep condition as along as I like, and no one has the patience with my hair like I do.

I rarely ever go to a salon. I only go for trims and I've cut down on the need for salon trimming to maybe 2 times per year since I dust at home. I envy the ladies who find going to the salon a treat -- I haven't found the right place yet, because it's no treat for me with all the waiting, worry about how they'll treat my hair and generally too much conversation. Even thinking about it makes me feel like such a grinch.

I go to the salon for the most part...my beautician is awesome! And she loves long and healthy hair and is so excited that I'm deciding to grow my hair. (I've been keeping it at about shoulder length for awhile) Occasionally when I feeling cheap I'll manage it myself LOL

Last edited:
I used to go to the salon every single week, but then that got expensive :nono:. Then I started to go every other week, but my stylists is just so slow and always late to appts :nono:. Now, I go for touchups, and a DRC treatment only. I am trying to be more of a DIYer, but I'm still trying to figure out what my hair likes and needs. I have you wonderful ladies, so I'm not worried. I'll get there :yep:

I go weekly. The Dominicans do a $15 wash and set so it's not bad, I take my own products with me. Oh and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays it's only $12. Gotta love it! :grin:

It's my only sense of stress relief during the week :ohwell: so I look forward to it.

I have not been to a salon since I've been natural. I have two family members that are stylists and know how to do natural hair. I might get one of them to do my hair when I visit home for Christmas.:grin:

Home.

My past experiences of going to salons to have my natural hair done have been very traumatizing, to say the least.

To be honest, though, I do miss having someone wash my hair for me. :yep: That is probably the ONLY thing I miss about getting my hair professionally done. I certainly don't miss stylists rushing and trying to quickly comb my hair with small combs while it is dry...:perplexed :nono:

I have not been to a salon since I've been natural. I have two family members that are stylists and know how to do natural hair. I might get one of them to do my hair when I visit home for Christmas.:grin:

Love My hair !Your hair is gorgeous!!!!!!
I also do my hair 90% of the time but 3-4 times a year I fly back to New York and get it done by the woman who first turned me on to natural hair. every season I need the pampering. I'm not going till May of this year cause Im doing the ayurvedic challenge and she'll not use ayurvedic products- cause she prefers others better. She uses Qhemet which is fine by me but not ayurvedic

I do a bit of both. I go to the salon every 2 weeks to let my stylist wash and deep condition and style. In between I do it myself. I try to wash every 3-5 days on my own.

In fact just went to the salon yesterday which is two weeks since I took out my last weave and joined the site and got a solid regimen down. Needless to say I was keeping a CLOSE eye on that shampoo girl (but she did a good job, although I made her STOP scrubbing my hair with her fingertips immediately and told her to be very gentle.). I didn't like either that she shampooed my hair 3 times, and later that day when washing someone else's hair she remarked "you hear that, now your hair is squeaky clean!!" :nono::wallbash: Next time I think I may have to tell her not to shampoo me more than once or twice.

In any case though in the hands of my stylist, she's AWESOME. I just roller set yesterday and she used Salerm 21 before rolling, and when she took the rollers out, SILKY CITY!!! I bought some immediately. The thing for me is that I really want to learn how to take care of my own hair. I don't want to have to depend on a stylist, because life happens and I know there will be times when I wont have her (like when I move from NY to San Fransisco and then later to LA in 2008). I do however realize for my home regimen I need to get a real hooded dryer (salon quality) because the little soft bonnet one I have (although it's good) doesn't produce the same results with the roller sets.

Back