How many of you gals go to the salon?

Salon or Home?

• Home

Votes: 228 78.4%
  • Salon

Votes: 63 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used to be a salon ADDICT. In the chair, every other week like clockwork, for YEARS. Loved my stylist, he did me right, but I just wasn't retaining the length I wanted. So I said, let me learn to do it myself, and now I do.

I go to him three times a year for my touch up and trim. The rest, I do myself.

I've only been 4 times in life.

The very first time, the stylist cut layers, and they've remained for 10 years. :(

I used to not mind going, as a treat (obviously a seldom treat, lol)

but since I've started my HHJ, i really don't want to go to a stylist who will jerk a comb through or use too much heat. And I don't like telling them how to do their job, so I don't go.

I am considering going to get a rollerset, though. But I have to find a good stylist for that.

i'm a member of scissor happy anonymous, so i go whenever i need a trim or a cut. sometimes doing reckless search and destroy missions ruins the shape of my hair, so i go in whenever things are looking yucky. :perplexed
i also go in sometimes when i don't feel like coloring it myself-but not often. i used to go to get braids and weaves-but no more, i can do it myself.
i actually like going to the salon, and i've never been unhappy with a visit-it just doesn't fit into my budget as a broke arse college student. but best believe when i start working and making that cash...i will be a regular. every month-i can't wait. :D

Last edited:
I use to go to salons, never again.
After last relaxer touch up, the hairdresser was so slow! The back of the hair had relaxer on it for 15 mins before she even reached to the last section. Never again! Then she put waaaay to many relax to the previously relaxed hair, I know over lapping is unavoidable but sheeeesh!! I don't think I'll ever step foot in a salon again, unless i fail at self relaxing.

When I had relaxed hair I was in the salon every two weeks without fail. Since going natural I went a couple of times a year until 2005. I was quite fortunate that my hairdresser was very big on haircare. The first time I went to them as a teen, they took one look at my then damaged hair and refused to relax it, and schooled me on how to get it looking good, which after two major cuts, it did :)

I haven't been to a salon since 2005 as I want to keep saving cash and also since my former salon has closed down, I just don't trust a lot of the other salons in my area. There is a natural hair salon that I want to check out though, it has had quite good feedback online so we'll see.

I go every other week faithfully. When I was pregnant, I went every week because I could not hold my head back in the shower without getting nauseous.

I went to the salon 2x in 2008 and 3x in 2009. So far in 2010 I haven't gone yet, I have no desire to go either. Since going natural the women at the salon try to blow dry the hell out of my hair or they get mad that I have too much hair and its so long LOL they're not hating they just know its more work for them. So I just buy my products and do my hair at home.

I used to go to only get color and a trim, but as I become more...comfortable? with my natural hair and as I began wanting more styling options, I went more.

1. I always go to the salon for color and weave installs.

2. Trims are optional; thy do a better job most times, but I trust my mother more.

3. I will get a flat iron, but a press? Again, I trust my mother more with the latter.

I needed a both option. I go for special events and every 4 weeks for my relaxers and to get my 4 weeks post "check-up".

I only go for my relaxers and went for a rollerset and blowout because I was having terrible shoulder pain and couldn't do it myself.
I do my hair the rest of the time (specially now with my Pibbs)

I chose home. Ill go to the shop sometimes but I hate telling them want I want done to my hair just for them to turn around and tell me what they want to do to it! Ugh!

I was a DIY'er and I grew my hair from jaw length to a little past BSL in about 18 months but I wasn't perming it and now im natural and I go to the salon everyother week, I also cut about 5-6 inches off in the process.

Getting my hair done professionally is a treat. I actually like doing my own hair, I know my hair will be treated as delicate as possible.

I went yesterday .. and although I love doing my own hair.. it's nothing like going to a nice salon .. where you feel comfortable and leave looking cute ..without having to worry about someone messing up my hair.. I go about every 3-6 weeks depending on what I have going on..

I can do my own hair really well.. but sometimes I like for other people to do it. (when they have proven themselves worthy)....:lachen:

I use to go every other week but I stopped that since 2008. I only go about every 3-6mths and that is for a trim, a weave install or cut one of my wigs.

I used to go every 2 weeks. Now I only go for relaxer touchups every 14 weeks. Working on stretching to every 16 weeks.

Lhcf is in itself to me a beauty school. I only go to the salon to get my weaves done which adds up to 7X per year or less

Back