How many never wore a weave B4?

Fake hair or Weave?

• I have worn no wig, weave or extensions?

Votes: 136 44.6%
  • I have worn French braids w/extensions?

Votes: 94 30.8%
  • I have worn Phony ponies?

Votes: 101 33.1%
  • I have worn a half wig or full wig?

Votes: 73 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
camellia said:
I've never worn a weave, extensions, phony ponies, wigs, falls, ect... No hair that did not grow out of my own scalp.

Honestly, until I came to this board, I had no idea they were so common. I grew up with the idea that only cancer patients, actresses, and bald ladies wore wigs or "fake hair". The idea of buying some hair was a totally foreign concept to me.

That was pretty much my philosophy too, but now that I've decided to grow out my hair, I think the faux hair might help me achieve my goals. Saves lots of styling time, and keeps me from having to style/damage my own hair. I plan to keep my phonies on the conservative side, though - I will not have a 3-foot long phony pony trailing down my back.:)

Camellia, you better watch out...somebody could make a lovely phony pony or two out of your natural hair! :lachen:

I've never worn a weave, wig or extensions...it's just not me. I would rather style and display my own hair whether it's short or long.

No weaves or braid extensions, but I've owned at least 1 wig for 15 years. It's hard to travel a lot and keep professional looking hair. I also bought a phony pony 6 mos ago.

i have never worn a weave.. i do not like the idea of anything that does not come from my scalp attached to my head.

SherryLove said:
i have never worn a weave.. i do not like the idea of anything that does not come from my scalp attached to my head.

This is exactly how I feel. OT: Your hair looks fantastic! Love the new signature!:D

I've never had a weave or wore a wig but I rock my braided extensions EVERY SINGLE WINTER and love it. It protects my hair from harsh weather and like someone else said similarly, weather and cute hairstyles don't mix with me. I'm trying to be WARM first, then cute. So braids give me the best of both worlds.

I've always had a pleasant experience with braids. Even micro's. I have one stylist who does my hair all the time and I have never complained. Although I wouldn't mind trying a full sewn-in weave for a change of pace, I can't figure out how to take care of my hair underneathe and the horror stories I've read about matted hair is too scary. But I'll keep rockin my braids til I die!! LOL.

I've worn it all. I like the versatility without having to damage my own hair (cause I do a lot of bad stuff to my wig).

Never a weave, wig or phony pony. I have worn braid extensions at least 5 times, but less than 10. Don't wear them anymore though.

I got braids w/ extensions once and could only wear them for a week. Never again!

If I got a weave--I would have it cut into a chin length bob with layers in the back.:D

I've never worn a weave, extensions or wigs. I think my husband would throw a fit it I put a wig on my head. He associates them with the ultra religious married ladies who he says purposely "uglify themselves". I don't think it would matter how good the wig looked, because he hates them on other women even if the wigs are nice. The idea just turns him off.

As for me, I have never been interested in wearing them. When I was growing up, I had the same idea of wigs and fake hair that camellia describes. During the past couple of years, I've realized how popular they are. But I don't know why, I still never even considered wearing a weave, even when my hair was short after the big chop. I did once buy one of those fake buns with the idea of putting it over my baggie when I was doing the baggie method. I tried it on once, but I didn't like the feeling of it when I had it on and the color was all off, so I never wore it. It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year now.

I've never worn a weave, any kind of fake hair, or real hair that wasn't my own. I think my hair color and texture would make it hard to find natural looking fake hair. Plus, I'm afraid that if I did, I wouldn't have any hair left.

I've worn a French roll w/fake hair inside of it, braid extensions and phony ponies. Never againw ith the phony ponies or the french roll-might revisit braids again.

None here, although there have been times I really should have worn something over my damaged hair but I didn't, just wore it "as is". :lol:

:lachen: i love weaves! braids/kornrows whataver its all fun for me.. not fan of the phoney.. or buns but im gonna try 'em

For my wedding the stylist said she had to put a piece on the ponytail , she didn't know how to syle my own hair for my wedding because she was so used to doing weaves so I let her put it in and I took it out t he next day, my hair was APL at the time. I tried braids years ago twice it ripped my hair out at the edges, I will never do that again, I went to a male sylist 4 years ago and he put a ponytail on me, my husband made me take it out when I got home because my hair was brastrap at the time and thick, I don't understand why some African american stylist prefer to style a weave rather than the person's hair. hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe it's because they get more money. Those are my only experience with fake hair, I don't like it I prefer my Own hair.

once i wore extensions in some cornrows waaaaaay back in the day, circa 1980-81 (HEY, i was young, hot and sexy back then).

didn't really like 'em, missed my own hair, it was just something different to do.

never wore anything not my own since then and don't feel the urge to do it again.

i voted never wore since it was less than a few days and a few decades ago LOL.

Last edited:
No I have never worn anything and have never really had the desire to do so. However I have thought about micro braids recently but the $$$$$$$!

Since joining the forum, I have worn falls, wigs, and phoney ponies. Before, I wore micro braids and corn rolls with weave extensions once. I've never had sew-in or glued-in weave.

I've never had a weave. But I used to love rockin' a phoney pony and I've had braid extensions once and I'll never do that again. My hair didn't become damaged, just took about 15 hours to get them done.

I prefer to wear my own hair.

I wore a weave once about 5 years ago for a special, formal occassion when I wanted a glamorous look. And when I was in a pageant as a teenager in the 70's, I wore a fall to lengthen my armpit length hair to be down my back...for the same reasons.

But other than that, I don't really feel comfortable changing the length of my hair from day to day.

I even have a cute little phony pony that I bought a few weeks ago when I was trying to convice myself to try that as a protective style. I just can't do it. (So, if anybody wants it, PM me.)

i've never worn any fake hair before, except when i had box braids with extensions a loooong time ago. i'm happy with how my hair looks right now, so i don't really feel like experimenting. but i may try it in the future...especially since i've seen how great kinikakes fall looks on her!

I've worn ponytails made with wefted hair before. But I never got hair sewn or glued in. A lot of my buddies wear them very well.

I have never wore a wig, had a weave, or braids.

I have always wanted to experiment with one or the other, but I guess the two reasons is one the $$$ and I don't know much about buying fake hair. I'm afraid I will get something that doesn't match my real hair and end up looking crazy. I would love to start wearing a fall or phony pony every once in awhile.

Back