How did you get hip to LHCF?

Relatively new member. I found the site by accidently coming across Macherieamour's Blog. I was absolutely awed by her hair and her personality that was evident through her postings. Then I saw some references to LHCF from her blog and lurked for about a couple of months and then eventually joined. I desperately want to get my hair BSL and all you ladies have so much knowledge and encouragement I find myself here EVERYDAY. Thanks all.

i was doing a search on yahoo for black hair care and i came across this site. i am so greatful for this site, although i havent made any of my hair goals yet i know I will with the help of this site. I only wish I knew about it sooner.

I saw it mentioned on BHM. I found Nappturality a few yrs ago when searching for pictures of braid styles. Then a few yrs later I found BHM randomly searching for info on black hair. Then I found LHCF and I fell in love. I rarely visit BHM anymore. And I just recently started posting on Nappturality since I'm natural now. I've had an acct there since like 2003 though.

After reading a book by Cathy Howse, I started to get into caring for my hair better, I made a few changes to how I cared for my hair like I stopped brushing and stopped using the curling iron and my hair really grew and was healthier, so I was even more interested in black hair care and started searching for info online and bam I found this site..I felt like I was in hair heaven with the wealth of info on here. I Love it!!!

I too googled "black hair care" and I got to NP and BHM initially. I didn't like BHM so I just stopped lurking. Then I found LHCF accidentally, and I have been hooked since! I love this website, and I truly feel at home and accepted here!!!!

When I was pregnant and found out that I was having a little girl, I decided that I wanted to know as much as possible about taking care of black hair, so that my daughter would have healthy hair, since I really did not know much about hair care. I would do searches about black hair care and I would get all sorts of info, but then I stumbled upon dontspeakdefeat's website and her links were to this website. So I started to lurk here, and realized that there was so much info hair about haircare and I was like I have to join. Now my hair is growing and my little girl who just turned 1 has shoulder length hair. So my money was very well spent.;)

One day I was looking for a hair care book on Amazon.com. I was reading some of the reviews on Cathy Howse's book. Someone who wrote a review included the web address for this site. I am so happy they did. There is so much more information here and valuable advice. Besides, you can't beat instant feedback and reviews on tons of hair products.

Taij said:
Nappturality. They bad mouthed LHCF so bad, I had to check it out for myself.

As expected, it wasn't anything like they said. They were actually talking about themselves. Leaving was the best thing for me, my hair and my internet experience.

OT:
That thread about the girl leaving because someone accused her of having a texturizer, sounds like pure, unadulterated Nappturality hating going on. I mean, on a board that encourages relaxing and texturizing, who really cares whether or not someone has a texturizer?

Only a die hard natural that can't accept other people's personal choices.

Same here. Only it was Cathy House. I bought her book which lead me to her website. I'm not sure in what section but she was wrote something negative about "the ladies on the long hair care forum". So I searched long hair care forum and have been here every since.
I bet she never thought her badmouthing would actully turn someone on to this site. :lol:

I had just relaxed my hair and was looking to revamp my routine. I was searching online for ways to take care of my hair, hairstyles and product recommendations. I can't remember how exactly I found LHCF but I remember stumbling across and being impressed that there was an entire forum dedicated to black haircare. At the time, growing my hair out wasn't a plan or interest so I joined the forum and would read the forum occassionally and read reviews about certain products and techniques. However, this past december 06 is when I really got serious about my hair health and growing my hair out. After spending hours reading various threads and looking at fotkis I went ahead and paid the five dollars so I could become more active and be able to look at more fotkis since the ability to look at fotkis was very limited before.

Taij said:
Nappturality. They bad mouthed LHCF so bad, I had to check it out for myself.

As expected, it wasn't anything like they said. They were actually talking about themselves. Leaving was the best thing for me, my hair and my internet experience.

OT:
That thread about the girl leaving because someone accused her of having a texturizer, sounds like pure, unadulterated Nappturality hating going on. I mean, on a board that encourages relaxing and texturizing, who really cares whether or not someone has a texturizer?

Only a die hard natural that can't accept other people's personal choices.

Me too. I'm natural, but I had done it more for the versatility, then because I was trying to unloose the chains of slavery etc. I just liked being able to wear my hair curly. I still enjoy their site, but they were so critical of wearing natural hair straight. So I had been lurking on bbbh, and stalking sista slick:look:, and i found out she posted here as well. I found a much more accepting place, and women with similar long hair goals, without the baggage. ;)

Last fall, I was trying to find an effective deep conditioner for my hair that had become dry and brittle and was stuck at just above the shoulder. So I decided to buy Ojon Resorative Treatment and fell in love with it. That got me in the mood to really make some radical changes in my hair care routine. I bought a couple of books from Amazon and started reading them.

Then I googled "Black Hair Care" and stumbled upon LHCF. I was amazed at the albums, the ladies and most of all, the positive attitudes and acceptance. I never lurked. I just dove right in and joined that same day.

It is nice to get the immediate feedback and make new friends who understand and support your hair goals. I have learned so much since I have been on this forum. Extreme growth wasn't even my goal, really: I just wanted strong, healthy hair. A couple inches of growth would just be icing on the cake.

But my goals have increased, my strategy has improved and my hair products really changed! (Yes, I went through the initial crazy PJ stage, but I'm delivered, now!) :lol: Plus I have gained and retained about 3 inches of new growth in five months!

Thank you so much LHCF! You are, literally, a God-send!:angel:

Last edited:
Knowledge is Power said:
I found Cathy Howse's second book at my fiance's house, which was left on a bookshelf by his ex-wife, and I read it in one day! I was so into it, that I went to her website and read some reviews and testimonials. One of the testimonials mention LHCF and I was like, "Hmm, what's that?":scratchch So, after doing a internet search for "black hair care," LHCF was mentioned in numerous links. Needless to say, I investigated, joined and now I am a proud PJ! My hair is doing fabulous (thanks to the wonderful tips that you ladies have provided). So, I owe my thanks to my fiance's ex-wife! :lachen:

Ex-wifey is probably like, "I wonder what happened to my book???":confused: I'm like, "Uuuuh, I dunno...":look: (hehehe!!):grin:

This is so funny to me :lol: :lol: . Anyway, I found the site because of ole girl Cathy Howse too. This site is full of good information and thanks to all you ladies for providing it.

21Trixie said:
One day I was looking for a hair care book on Amazon.com. I was reading some of the reviews on Cathy Howse's book. Someone who wrote a review included the web address for this site. I am so happy they did. There is so much more information here and valuable advice. Besides, you can't beat instant feedback and reviews on tons of hair products.

Ditto! :D I was really shocked, had no idea...

I made up my mind one day that I was going to grew my hair down my back. I was in 8th grade the last time I had long hair. I searched the internet with no real luck of what I what I was looking for. I was reading some forum responses on Blackvoices and followed the link of a woman's recommendation. I lurked for about 3 months, started trying the tips as my hair got thicker and healthy I was hooked. Now I go to this site every single day no matter what. :p

From my fellow Nappy head real life freind.... she is part of napputry and found out that i did a big chop in Augest but i knew about the vitmans so I found it though here.. and wel... here i am? ::D

Another victim of a scissor-happy stylist. after going to her for years and my hair getting shorter and shorter, i went to the public library and I read Shamboosie's book: "beautiful black hair" and he badmouthed hair boards so bad i had to see for myself. I searched for black hair care and found cathy howse's site. through her before and afters i found Dana's fotki. she had links and members from LHCF leaving comments on her album. I had no clue what LHCF was so i did a search on yahoo and i found the site that way. I lurked for 2 months and finally caved in and joined. I've loved it ever since.

I was on a natural hair group on myspace that was really messy, and I read a post that said she liked LHCF so much better because it was really positive and helpful. I did a google search and found this site. I LOVE IT! My hair is already MBL, but I love to read this site for motivation not to cut my hair, and I'm always looking for help on wearing my hair curly. I have determined that I have combination hair just like I have combination skin.
After seeing the photos of members with hair to their tailbones, I think I want to grow my hair as long as I can grow it. (Well...that's what I want right this minute. I am known to change my mind.)
I just love the positive posts here, and I have been inspired by the Health and Christian boards for weeks. Anyway, I look forward to posting more and more (this is my first :D.)

DivaStyle said:
I was on a natural hair group on myspace that was really messy, and I read a post that said she liked LHCF so much better because it was really positive and helpful. I did a google search and found this site. I LOVE IT! My hair is already MBL, but I love to read this site for motivation not to cut my hair, and I'm always looking for help on wearing my hair curly. I have determined that I have combination hair just like I have combination skin.
After seeing the photos of members with hair to their tailbones, I think I want to grow my hair as long as I can grow it. (Well...that's what I want right this minute. I am known to change my mind.)
I just love the positive posts here, and I have been inspired by the Health and Christian boards for weeks. Anyway, I look forward to posting more and more (this is my first :D.)

Welcome :)

I was on a black moms message board and one woman was raving about a conditioner that she found out about on this site. I clicked the link and the rest is history :D

I was getting individual braids and wanted to get some tips then came across the Growafrohairlong website then came across LHCF somehow. Either way, I am very thankful for coming across this site ;)

I was bored of the way that I was wearing my hair all the time (in a really messy bun with the ends exposed, or in a ponytail). I spent a couple of days googling actual black hairstyles, and really, really didn't care about the health of my hair UNTIL I stumbled across some fotki links and was amazed at how long black, relaxed hair could grow.

Hair Iam said:
I know I was lead by the Holy Spirit.
My hair was natural but short, dry and would only look good when flat ironed:ohwell: . After a non slip ,hair ripping conditioner, matted my hair.:eek:
That night after crying and crying:( ..."DH yelling in the back ground"why did you use that ":( . I went on the net searching for help, April 2006 I lurked by May I paid closer attention, June I was on the hair bus ...one way ticket to BSl and beyond ..Thanks to LORD JESUS CHRIST...THANK YOU HOLY SPIRIT:) ..One less thing in life to cry about....Many more reasons to Give God the glory.:grin:
Thanks also to all you blessed ladies;)

I love your testimony

I was first @ ezboard-bbbh, one of the members mentioned LHCF. One day i decided to check it out. Every now and then i breeze thru there but seems like everybodys MIA.:ohwell:

Back