HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 2011

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

Still sealing ends nightly except Wednesdays with Coconut Oil.

On Wednesdays, that's when I do my HOT with Jojoba Oil and seal the ends and hair shaft with the Jojoba Oil. I have decided to this weekly.

Re: HOTs, Oil Rinses, Scalp Oiling, End Sealing Challenge Feb 1, 2011 - April 30, 201

IDareT'sHair and Lita,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE IMPORTANT TIPS!!!!:grin:

i'm going to do the 2 step henna then indigo tomorrow and was also surprised when i read JJamiah experienced dryness. :blush:also because i know she is really wise with keeping the protein/moisture balance (a fine art i am still in the process of learning), so i must proceed with caution.:perplexed

that safflower oil sounds yummy! but the warm water rinse? does that mean you rinse your hair in warm water before putting the safflower oil on or that you mix them both in an applicator bottle to apply them?

i'm thinking of putting a pinch of mustard oil in my henna and yes, it will only be done once my gloves are on and i'm ready to apply! :yep:(THX!)

i think i still have some pumpkin seed oil, if it hasn't expired! (i had some amla oil, but just found it expired in dec. 2010 and i don't know if there's a grace period with this stuff) maybe i can put the pumpkin seed oil with the ceramide oil to do my dc once i'm done with the henna/indigo?

those folks at garden of wisdom really need to put expiration dates on their oils, too.
i got the amla oil from "of a simple nature" in the uk, and at around the same time, i ordered a small portion of the same from garden of wisdom, so i can only assume that if the one from "of a simple nature" says it exprired, i guess the one from the gaarden of wisdom did too, though without the date on it, i would still like to use it just to finish it up.

ok, i know this is not a good question to ask :ohwell:(lol!), but has anybody ever used expired oil on their hair? like what's the worst that can happen?:blush:

@IDareT'sHair and @Lita,

ok, i know this is not a good question to ask :ohwell:(lol!), but has anybody ever used expired oil on their hair? like what's the worst that can happen?:blush:

I wouldn't use it. By the time an oil has expired, the container could have gathered enough moisture for microbes to grow. But usually by then, the oil has turned nasty and smells rancid.

grow Are you using the safflower oil just as a rinse or just to seal? If you are using it as a rinse/hot water 1st/warm water 2nd...If you are sealing with it..Last step when hair is still damp..

*If your oil has a off smell dump it ASAP!
*If it has a expiration date on it (rancid) dump it ASAP!

*Buy some fresh oil!

*Thats why I keep it stored in/cool dry place..Last LONGER...

Happy Hair Growing!

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair You can use the tangle teezer on damp & dry hair...I say do what works for your hair...

Happy Hair Growing!

Urban and Lita, thank you for the sound advice! (i didn't even think about microbes and all...)

i don't smell any rancid odor or see any discoloration of the oil, but if expired oil is not ok just the same, i better dump it.

has anyone ever used oil from garden of wisdom that is over 1 year old? i ask because they don't even put expiration dates on theirs, but maybe that's because they make theirs with special preservatives, so they don't expire?

oils ii buy at the supermarket (like coconut oil, evoo, sunflower oil, ecc.) don't have expiration dates on them, so i'm assuming not ALL oils expire?

thanks Lita for the safflower oil directions!

grow You can call or email Garden Of Wisdom & ask!
*The oils I have from them are not a year old..

As for the supermarket..They have a longer shelf life..But,still give the sniff & touch test...lol

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita, i'm gonna do just that, thanks!

and while i'm at it, i'm going to see if i can find out why they don't just put expiration dates on their oils.

i guess the supermarket oils don't come with expiration dates because they feel people will most likely go thru the bottle before it expires. at least that's the way it is here in italy...we use evoo in the meals too much and too quickly for it to be around long enough to expire. lol!

What kind do you have?? I've been researching a few.

!CBGwT5w!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!l4Ez+vdEoP!BNGR8ncMyQ~~_3.JPG

This exact one. 1 hour timer etc........I bought mine in 2009.

I did my first oil rinese last night using coconut oil, then i moisturized my hair with pantene daily oil cream and sealed my ends with coconut oil. My hair is so soft and shiney.

IDareT'sHair and Lita,ok, i know this is not a good question to ask :ohwell:(lol!), but has anybody ever used expired oil on their hair? like what's the worst that can happen?:blush:
Personally I would still use them but it is up to you. I have a few oils that have expired and am using them in body oil concoctions to use them up. They still smell absolutely fine just like when I first bought them, still I just use them on myself and do not include these in concoctions that I share with friends.

Last edited:

I did a prepoo with aloevera/wgo, then I used HTN afterward as seal today.

Did my HTN Moisturizing & Sealing Regi today.

I oil rinsed yesterday with shikakai oil and today I will be rinsing this grapeseed oil out of my hair in a hour.

Been spritzing my Wash n Go with aloe/ceramie mix.

Will do a HOT tomorrow after Cassia/Henna treatment

Did my HTN Regi : Follicle Booster, Protein L-I, Lotion & Oil

Heading to the bathroom to do my daily moisturizing my twists with my leave-in cream and sealing with coconut oil.....

I think I will try some castor oil on my scalp.:yep:

Also,I really like that new oil blend that I bought with the avocado,coconut,lavender,etc. I believe its by sof'n free,but I'm not positive.
It definitely has staple potential. I want to keep using it for a few more weeks before I welcome it to my collection.:drunk:

I think I will try some castor oil on my scalp.:yep:

Also,I really like that new oil blend that I bought with the avocado,coconut,lavender,etc. I believe its by sof'n free,but I'm not positive.
It definitely has staple potential. I want to keep using it for a few more weeks before I welcome it to my collection.:drunk:

ladybeesrch

That combo sounds Delish!:lick: You said "etc":look:

What other oils are in there?:look:

That sounds delightful.:lol:

Hey, ladies. Nothing new, just doing my daily seal up with either my ceramide mix or Hydratherma Naturals oil. I think I'll do a HOT on Wednesday with some Safflower oil.

IDareT'sHair

Lol!
It's this stuff here. http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/3MSP091210KA1105.htm
Other than the oils listed on that site,it has lavender,lemongrass,basil,frankincense,bergamot,and clary oils,and bht:perplexed. I dunno what's up with the bht,but other than that everything else is an oil. The bottle is so small though. That's the only site I've seen it on,but I got it locally.

@IDareT'sHair

Lol!
It's this stuff here. http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/3MSP091210KA1105.htm
Other than the oils listed on that site,it has lavender,lemongrass,basil,frankincense,bergamot,and clary oils,and bht:perplexed. I dunno what's up with the bht,but other than that everything else is an oil. The bottle is so small though. That's the only site I've seen it on,but I got it locally.

@JerriBlank

Thanks JB! (btw Like your new screen name).:grin:

I was 'lurking' at work and was like: What the Debil???:lol:

Cool!

Came Home and Just Felt Like Doing My Hair.:perplexed It was just "One Of Those Days" :sad:

So I slathered it in Coconut Oil did a Warm Water Rinse, quick Co-Cleanse, Protein Treatment and DC'er/under Steamer.

Will do my HTN Regi and will M&S with HTN Lotion & Oil. Will also use a little Pure Argan Oil with my Leave-In under Dryer:lick:

Pre poo entire head..with mustard & garlic mix/wash keracare sulfate free poo/Dc,Darcys pumpkin conditioner 40min/TW-leave-in..Sealed with rice bran,pumpkin seed,medowform in the front & sunflower oil in the back...*Hair is in 8 braids...

Happy Hair Growing!

I'm in my first sew-in, so the only oil I'll be using is Sweet Almond Oil for my scalp...for like the next 8 weeks (if I can hang that long).

I did a washing last night sealed with hydratherma hair growth.

Will M&S a little later with HTN Lotion and Oil

I've been sealing all week with either hemp oil or vatika oil. I want to do a HOT tomorrow!

Since I was planning to wash, I soaked my hair in a warmed mix of Wheatgerm, Hemp seed, Rice bran, and CoCasta. I'll probably add some HS and RB to my DC later.

Back