Have You Ever Spoken In Tongues?

Have You Ever Spoken In Tongues

• Yes, I've spoken in tongues, I am saved.

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • No, I've not ever spoken in tongues, I am not saved.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I don't believe speaking in tongues is required for salvation.

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I do believe speaking in tongues is required for salvation

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I have only spoken in tongues once or twice, not regularly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I speak in tongues on a regular basis.

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read the bible I understood speaking in tongues is just speaking spanish or french or chinese or so on. Its not speaking some language that no one knows but you and the holy spirit. The gifts of tongues is being able to master different languages. This is not my gift. I cannot learn languages quickly but there are many on this board who can speak two or three or more languages thats speaking in tongues. Tongues is just another word for language. Also your not to speak in this language in front of the church or groups of people if no one is there to interpret its pointless and serves no one. You can pray in whatever language you want when your alone speaking to God. No offense to anyone on this board, no condemnation but we really need to examine what we read and make sure we completely understand it. When I read in Acts at Pentacost when the disciples recieved the holy spirit they began speaking in tongues but all the people from all over outside of the building---- each heard in their own language. it served a purpose but there is no other time it happen as such but the disciples had their own gifts some could actually speak another language as their gifts after receiving the holy spirit, some had healing and various other gifts.

I understand completely what it means, and I have seen it several times...
People make a spectacle of themselves trying to make others believe that they are more saved than the others...:ohwell:
And at my church, my pastor speaks the word. We walk in, sing, hear announcement, he preaches, he holds invitation for people to accept Christ in their life, and then he leaves. :yep:
I believe that he spoke once about tongues but I won't say what I think he says because I don't want to misquote him...
But I know for a fact, as do many of the other believers, from the bible, that God gave people the gift for a reason... Today... What for? God listens to prayers in english, spanish, german, patois, whatever you want lol. So why do the gibberish in public?

1. While you may assume that people are making "a spectacle of themselves trying to make others believe they are more saved than others" it does not make it true. Some people believe that it is a requirement for being saved in the first place. Everyone is not speaking in tongues to look better than someone else, you are just assuming so.

2. I think it's unfair to refer to it as gibberish but if that's how you feel so be it. You obviously have a different belief than others do about speaking in tongues. Since you don't believe it serves a purpose or is necessary for a believer, that's fine, but try not to speak about it so condescendingly. We are all here trying to learn from one another and we're all Christians. At the very least we should be tolerant towards each other, if no one else.

And how could that be a higher level if His death and resurrection ripped the temple curtains and took away the veil? We can come to the throne on the same level as everyone else, nowhere in the bible does it say another believer can reach God on a higher level than another... and please correct me and show me the verse if I'm wrong, because I have been before...
I have studied this over and over again, many discussions, etc.
I have never come across someone that can say with confidence, that speaking in tongues in public makes sense

1. I don't recall anyone saying anything about it being a "higher level". There are no levels in Christianity, either you are saved or you're not. We don't all agree on how to be saved though. But, it's the humans that add the hierarchy to the religion, not God. Speaking in tongues does not put anyone on a "higher level" than anyone else.

2. That's fine if you don't believe the arguments for speaking in tongues. You have your own beliefs. All I'm saying is try to be respectful of others.

And I work at my church I know what it takes to make sure that the word and service are presented in a manner that represents Christ in a way that will keep people open to the word, and keep them coming back.
SPEAKING IN TONGUES IS SCARY!!!!! COME ON!!! WHATS NORMAL ABOUT IT!!!!
I'm not saying its wrong but you can't tell me that if you saw it today for the first time as an adult and you would think that it was just regular... or a gift LOL. NOT A CHANCE... If anyone can say that you're not bein real LOL :pinocchio: At least I am honest and I say what it is LOL
Trust me, I've talked to some people that saw it for the first time, 2 of which were believers. And they all said it was scary. And the believers knew the reason too. I don't think its about fear and misunderstanding, I think its about it being scary LOL.:lachen:

I agree that seeing it for the first time could be scary, uncomfortable, weird, and a whole host of other things. I was just pointing out that if you are still scared of it then there's a reason why and perhaps that reason is because you don't fully understand its purpose.

I also get the feeling that you may have been around some of the more expressive type people. I know in my church, speaking in tongues is done as part of peoples praise and worship, it's an individual thing. It's just like all the other singing, praying, and praising that's going on. And none of that is scary. Granted, we don't have a lot of the screaming, convulsing on the floor, fainting, falling out type stuff going on so maybe that's why it's not scary.

I'm with PrettyfaceANB. Speaking in tongues is a gift and gifts are given according to the will of the Giver. Not everyone will receive the gift of speaking in tongues but that doesn't make their salvation any less than the other.

Hebrews 2:3-4

1 Corinthians 12:7-11

Thank you for this post. Tongues is a gift and not everyone gifts it. Just like prophesy, teaching, giving, serving, administration, etc...

Msa... my *****...
I would love for everyone to speak their tongues if they like...
I just don't wanna see it LOL.
At least people that do it aren't killing people or robbing banks...
I am not saying that people that do it aren't preaching the gospel, or that these people aren't saved, or that I'm better or know more than they do... I'm not better than ANYONE... I've done some stupid things in my life...
But when it comes to tongues...
I JUST DONT WANNA SEE IT :grin:
if that aint funny I don't know what is...
i'm just imagining myself fleeing from all of the tongues churches lol
go ahead and smile, its ok :drunk:

I did not vote there wasn't an option for me. Oh here is the scripture
The Holy Spirit Comes
1 On the day of Pentecost[a] all the believers were meeting together in one place. 2 Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm, and it filled the house where they were sitting. 3 Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. 4 And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
5 At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living in Jerusalem. 6 When they heard the loud noise, everyone came running, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers.

7 They were completely amazed. “How can this be?” they exclaimed. “These people are all from Galilee, 8 and yet we hear them speaking in our own native languages! 9 Here we are—Parthians, Medes, Elamites, people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, the province of Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, and the areas of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism), Cretans, and Arabs. And we all hear these people speaking in our own languages about the wonderful things God has done!”

This never happens again in the bible where all the disciples are together. We always have to be careful of Satan and his many many lies and tricks. You must carefully search the scriptures for real truth and not words given by others. It doesn't matter if your church is doing it or not we have to stand before God on our own convictions and we have no excuse because we have the word of God to read for ourselves.

Msa... my *****...
I would love for everyone to speak their tongues if they like...
At least people that do it aren't killing people or robbing banks...
I am not saying that people that do it aren't preaching the gospel, or that these people aren't saved, or that I'm better or know more than they do... I'm not better than ANYONE... I've done some stupid things in my life...
But when it comes to tongues...
I JUST DONT WANNA SEE IT :grin:
if that aint funny I don't know what is...
i'm just imagining myself fleeing from all of the tongues churches lol
go ahead and smile, its ok :drunk:

And you shouldn't see it if you don't want to.

You must carefully search the scriptures for real truth and not words given by others. It doesn't matter if your church is doing it or not we have to stand before God on our own convictions and we have no excuse because we have the word of God to read for ourselves.

Yup, and everyone has different convictions based on their interpretation of the word. I think that's why the question was asked in the first place because speaking in tongues is one of the things that is debated over and over again and there still isn't one uniform conclusion.

I understand what you're saying but I would still encourage you to speak what you hear in your spirit by faith... We must remember that without faith it is impossible to please God. You cannot rely on your mind to convince you of spiritual things - they are only known through your inner man (spirit). Your mind wants to hold on to what it can see and understand through human logic - speaking in tongues is not logical.

God speaks to many people in obvious ways who end up doubting goodness or his very presence. The children of Isreal had God smacking them in the face with miracles but they still doubted His goodness and provision. There have been times God has spoken to me and given me visions and I have later doubted his love or agency in my life. The He stopped speaking to me (in obvious ways) altogether and I realized that I was always expecting Him to prove himself but His word states that the just will live by faith. He expects us to draw near first before he will draw near to us.

Just know that God will reward your faith and manifest himself more to you - but you have to take that leap.

God will manifest himself just fine without the tongues LOL
Sike that is a nice post lady, cuz for real, if you wanna talk about visions, I am so sure that he gives us those... That's real...
Has someone ever told yall something in your dreams that helps you within your life?
Or... have you seen something you think nobody else saw? I think that stuff has meaning for real. I mean sometimes minds can play tricks, but sometimes I think that some visions are really sent from God!
I can't wait to ask him what the truth is when I get to heaven...
about those tongues though...
sike I'm done messin I know patience for my jokes are wearing thin LOL:grin:

I do believe in speaking in tongues, and I do from time to time. Not because I just want to, but there is a certain place I get in prayer sometimes where it just happens and sometimes prophecy comes with it. I usually do this in private, just me and God. One time I did with other people present and it was in a language that someone else understood and they translated for me. I don't even remember what it was now, but it did them some good.

I do not believe that speaking in tongues is a requirement for salvation because I have seen so many people speak in tongues and I was like "I know they aint saved". Yes I guess that was being judgemental. But if you know someone is stepping out on their wife then jumping, and dancing, and speaking in tongues in church, don't you think it must be fake? IDK, I just think too many people fake it for me to say it's evidence of salvation. It's a church requirement for salvation at many churches. I really love the services in those churches, too, but that's not the evidence.

Yes, I've had a conversation with God in tongues before. And get this...it wasn't in church. I actually question the validity of tongues spoken in church. Most especially when preachers do it in the pulpit. I've never heard my pastor speak in tongues, but I have seen a few people in my church do it to 'prove' their spirituality, I won't say I hate it, but it's a pet peeve of mine since being authentically baptized by the Holy Spirit. I can't even begin to try and repeat the tongues I spoke in, but there are some that seemed to have a 'practiced' tongue. Most especially "Eekadabobo" There was a time when I was in church feeling high in the Spirit and this speaker started with that "Eekadabobo" and the Spirit spoke through me in two syllables and that speaker stopped.

Of course you don't need to speak in tongues to be saved. The Bible says if you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Christ is Lord then you are saved. So confession and belief are prerequisites for salvation. A person can't be "filled with Spirit" and speak in tongues if they haven't confessed.

The Bible says the Holy Spirit gives different gifts to everyone. Where is a scripture that explictly states you have to speak in tongues to be saved? It doesn't exist. Plus tongues are only beneficial when there's an interpreter present. Common sense and READING the Bible are essential.

Last edited:
I just thought about this lady who came from a church where tongues was considered evidence of salvation. Her mother had never spoken in tongues but had the fruit of the spirit in abundance. She was so full of love for God and people, but had never spoken in tongues. Her daughter was telling me "How can they tell me my mother isn't saved?" when she lived out the Christian life style.

Last edited:
I just thought about this lady who came from a church where tongues was considered evidence of salvation. Her mother had never spoken in tongues but had the fruit of the spirit in abundance. She was so full of love for God and people, but had never spoken in tongues. Her daughter was telling me "How can they tell me my mother isn'y saved?" when she lived out the Christian life style.

People are something else. :nono: Tongues or NO tongues there's no one on earth that could tell me I don't know Jesus because of some tongues. That's a very judgemental position for a finite human to assume.

Of course you don't need to speak in tongues to be saved. The Bible says if you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Christ is Lord then you are saved. So confession and belief are prerequisites for salvation. A person can't be "filled with Spirit" and speak in tongues if they haven't confessed.

The Bible says the Holy Spirit gives different gifts to everyone. Where is a scripture that explictly states you have to speak in tongues to be saved? It doesn't exist. Plus tongues are only beneficial when there's an interpreter present. Common sense and READING the Bible are essential.

well said woman... it never says that tongues=saved...
i bet it is fun though

Edification means to build up. It build up your spiritual relationship with God. Depending on how edified your spirit is, God will actually communicate with you through sparks and that feeling in your ear that feels like someone has waved their hand back and forth to create 'wind'. It is in this way that he gives knowledge and understanding. He will confirm things for you.

This is a spiritual growth thing and I don't believe it measures a persons salvation.

No, I have never spoken in tongues. I do believe in the gift, though. Could name multiple other profound spiritual experiences and gifts in my life, though.

While I do believe it is a gift and by no means necessary for salvation, I do think my spirit is closed to the phenomenon because of all the different ways I've seen it abused in churches, especially the fact that Paul says that tongues aren't supposed to be spoken in the congregation without an interpreter, which I've never seen happen and only heard of happening once from a friend of mine who also only saw it once.

This leads me to suspect that the genuine Spirit-led gift of tongues is probably as rare as the gift of interpretation, as people of wholly other faiths also experience "tongues" (glossolalia) as a spiritual experience. Though I'm sure there are many corners of the Church where such genuine charismatic gifts abound.

I do believe in speaking in tongues, and I do from time to time. Not because I just want to, but there is a certain place I get in prayer sometimes where it just happens and sometimes prophecy comes with it. I usually do this in private, just me and God. One time I did with other people present and it was in a language that someone else understood and they translated for me. I don't even remember what it was now, but it did them some good.

I do not believe that speaking in tongues is a requirement for salvation because I have seen so many people speak in tongues and I was like "I know they aint saved". Yes I guess that was being judgemental. But if you know someone is stepping out on their wife then jumping, and dancing, and speaking in tongues in church, don't you think it must be fake? IDK, I just think too many people fake it for me to say it's evidence of salvation. It's a church requirement for salvation at many churches. I really love the services in those churches, too, but that's not the evidence.

i feel you on the fake ones... i surely think its fakin about 99% of the time... i don't know what the truth is but the evidence of faking is all over the place LOL. it does suck when good churches have that one weird thing about them. I love mine but everyone there is sooooo perfect... takes away from my wonderful educated pastor speakin the word

No, I have never spoken in tongues. I do believe in the gift, though. Could name multiple other profound spiritual experiences and gifts in my life, though.

While I do believe it is a gift and by no means necessary for salvation, I do think my spirit is closed to the phenomenon because of all the different ways I've seen it abused in churches, especially the fact that Paul says that tongues aren't supposed to be spoken in the congregation without an interpreter, which I've never seen happen and only heard of happening once from a friend of mine who also only saw it once.

This leads me to suspect that the genuine Spirit-led gift of tongues is probably as rare as the gift of interpretation, as people of wholly other faiths also experience "tongues" (glossolalia) as a spiritual experience. Though I'm sure there are many corners of the Church where such genuine charismatic gifts abound.

I am so glad you said this because I was looking for a gentle way to say this for these ladies to understand, and I really and truly couldnt find it... I'm feeling way too playful right now:drunk::spinning::drunk::spinning:

Loads of people with common sense have read the bible and still come to a different conclusion/interpretation that you or others may have.

It's strange but true, that I have never encountered a church whose doctrine believes all the same things I do. I believe in baptizing in Jesus name, but not that tongues is evidence of salvation~but tongues are available to believers as are other gifts. Every church I've seen that baptizes in Jesus name, says you have to speak in tongues to be saved.

Loads of people with common sense have read the bible and still come to a different conclusion/interpretation that you or others may have.

True, but some scriptures aren't "open to interpretation" like "Thou shalt not steal". It says what it says.

•1 Cor. 12:7-11, "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues. 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."
•1 Cor. 12:29-30, "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

It's strange but true, that I have never encountered a church whose doctrine believes all the same things I do. I believe in baptizing in Jesus name, but not that tongues is evidence of salvation~but tongues are available to believers as are other gifts. Every church I've seen that baptizes in Jesus name, says you have to speak in tongues to be saved.

As far as the bold, neither have I. I don't expect to find a church that believes all the same things I do. I attend my church because it's the best fit for me but I don't agree with everything.

True, but some scriptures aren't "open to interpretation" like "Thou shalt not steal". It says what it says.

•1 Cor. 12:7-11, "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues. 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."
•1 Cor. 12:29-30, "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

And still, there are some who would say based on the original writings of those scriptures and others that pertain to speaking in tongues that their meanings are different.

I guess it's not necessarily interpreting the scripture differently that I'm thinking of. It's really that everyone uses different texts and therefore their conclusions are different.

7 They were completely amazed. “How can this be?” they exclaimed. “These people are all from Galilee, 8 and yet we hear them speaking in our own native languages! 9 Here we are—Parthians, Medes, Elamites, people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, the province of Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, and the areas of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism), Cretans, and Arabs. And we all hear these people speaking in our own languages about the wonderful things God has done!”

This never happens again in the bible where all the disciples are together. We always have to be careful of Satan and his many many lies and tricks. You must carefully search the scriptures for real truth and not words given by others. It doesn't matter if your church is doing it or not we have to stand before God on our own convictions and we have no excuse because we have the word of God to read for ourselves.

This is actually not true - tho the disciples meeting in the upper room was by special instruction to wait for the Holy Spirit to come. But disciples definitely speak in tongues later on...

Acts 4:31
31After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

The above happened during a meeting of believers.

Acts 10:46-48
44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God. Then Peter said, 47"Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have." 48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days

In the passage above Peter had been preaching a sermon and Gentiles who heard it began to speak in tongues and the believers were surprised. Notice also that receiving the "gift of the Holy Spirit" mentioned in this passage is directly connected to speaking in tongues.

Acts 19:1-4
1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”
3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”
So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
5 When they heard he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 67 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Now the men were about twelve in all.

You have to believe first in order to recieve and do the acts of Jesus (John 14:12). That is the truth in accepting God as your Lord and Savior, health, prosperity, and yes tongues. In (Luke 16: 15-20) Talks about new tongues as a sign of belief it also speaks about healing. In Acts 8 Acts 10 and Acts 11. These chapter talk about how you can believe and receive God but how some also receive the Holy Spirit. With the Holy spirit comes tongues but more importantly comes the power to heal and do acts of goodness.

This is actually not true - tho the disciples meeting in the upper room was by special instruction to wait for the Holy Spirit to come. But disciples definitely speak in tongues later on...

31After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God. Then Peter said, 47"Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have." 48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days

In the passage above Peter had been preaching a sermon and Gentiles who heard it began to speak in tongues and the believers were surprised. Notice also that receiving the "gift of the Holy Spirit" mentioned in this passage is directly connected to speaking in tongues.

1 And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”
4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
5 When they heard he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 67 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Now the men were about twelve in all.

Johns baptized with water for the repentence of sins but in Acts 11: 16 ye shall be babtized with the Holy Spirit (not just belief and repentence of sins).

I did not know that the gift of interpretation was considered rare - I have witnessed it many many times in different churches but of course all of our church experiences can be drastically different.

I also had supernatural touches from God before I spoke in tongues - so I don't believe that one needs to speak in tongues to have other spiritual experiences..

The one key thing that I see in scripture is that a special boldness and power to perform the work of the Lord often accompanied being filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking tongues. One has to walk in this power and boldness of course, we have to remember that God doesn't give of Himself just to stay to ourselves.. the gifts are given primarily for us to minister to and edify other believers.

hey man, you don't know what happened, you weren't there...
that is an interpretation, not saying its wrong, but to some of us (like me) tongues is really farfetched, you gotta come a little harder than that if ur gonna convince me homegirl...
I'm saved and I have one tongue that speaks English

hey man, you don't know what happened, you weren't there...
that is an interpretation, not saying its wrong, but to some of us (like me) tongues is really farfetched, you gotta come a little harder than that if ur gonna convince me homegirl...
I'm saved and I have one tongue that speaks English

Girl Imma need you to stop - I just busted out laughing for real :lachen:

I really got nothin more for ya if you doubt Paul or Peter is telling the truth. You don't have to believe in tongues if you don't want to, but I do encourage you to pray to God for wisdom to read and understand His word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back