Speaking in Tongues and falling out

Ok, satan sucks! I had started this long post about how he stole my tongues from me and all of a sudden "POOF!" My post vanished. :mad: PM me if you want to hear the story.

So I'll just speak on being annointed and "slain" in the spirit. I was at church Sunday after fasting (Master Cleanse) since Friday. I went up to the altar for special prayer. My pastor came over to me to pray for me and annoint me. When he came to me he says, "Just keep praying and fasting, keep praying and fasting." No one at church knew I was fasting except for God. :grin: So I'm crying and saying "yes" cause I know it's God. He annoints me (I think on my head) and I fall out. It was so quick. I felt my pastor's wife catching me. I remember everything except the touch. God is soooo good. I feel like doing a happy dance. God has showed me quite a few times that I'm at the right church and that my pastor is the real deal. I go to a nondenominational interracial church. My pastors are Italian and my church is on FIYAH!!!

Tongues and the gifts, being "slain" in the spirit is all VERY real. Of course like someone said satan copies and tries to discredit God with phonies but those who genuinely want to know Him and those who are are truly seeking Him won't be led atray. Thanks for your stories, ladies. I love to hear how God moves. :)

MrsHouston said:
Scriptures do not support tongues being defined as gibberish or some unintelligent garbled sound that cannot be understood.

The tongue that is spoken of is a language, a foreign language, not a garbled sound that is not known. There were gathered in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost people from about 16 different nations, who spoke over ten different languages. During this period in history the world spoke mostly Greek, however, you will notice in Acts 2:11, that the people heard the apostles speaking in their own language. As the result of the people hearing in their own language, they people were amazed and perplexed.

In the records in 1 Corinthians, the obvious giving of languages (tongues) was a working of the Holy Spirit in the same sense that workings of miracles, prophecies, discerning of spirits and the interpretation of tongues.

Paul, the author of 1 Corinthians, says that the greater gift, rather than speaking in tongues, is love. He also says that this gift of speaking in tongues (languages) is to be in an orderly fashion, and only then if there is someone there to interpret. Also he says that the speaking in tongues is a sign to those who are unbelievers.

If someone comes into your assembly and you are speaking a lot of garbled sounds that cannot be understood that the unbeliever will not understand.

1 Corinthians 13:8, Paul says that prophecies and speaking in tongues will cease and love will remain.

From a careful reading the various texts where the speaking in tongues is mentioned it is obvious that whatever it is one can and does understand.

The speaking in tongues in all these references is a foreign language and not gibberish.

Mark 16:17
17 And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name shall they cast out demons; they shall speak with new tongues;
ASV

Acts 2:3-4
3 And there appeared unto them tongues parting asunder, like as of fire; and it sat upon each one of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. ASV

Acts 2:11-12
11 Cretans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues the mighty works of God.
12 And they were all amazed, and were perplexed, saying one to another, What meaneth this? ASV

Acts 10:46
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
ASV

Acts 19:6
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
ASV

1 Corinthians 12:10
10 and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits; to another (divers) kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues:
ASV

1 Corinthians 12:28-13:1
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, (divers) kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all (workers of) miracles?
30 have all gifts of healings? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
31 But desire earnestly the greater gifts. And moreover a most excellent way show I unto you.

1 Corinthians 13:1
13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
ASV

1 Corinthians 13:8
8 Love never faileth: but whether (there be) prophecies, they shall be done away; whether (there be) tongues, they shall cease; whether (there be) knowledge, it shall be done away.
ASV

1 Corinthians 14:2-9
2 For he that speaketh in a tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God; for no man understandeth; but in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men edification, and exhortation, and consolation.
4 He that speaketh in a tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 Now I would have you all speak with tongues, but rather that ye should prophesy: and greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
6 But now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, unless I speak to you either by way of revelation, or of knowledge, or of prophesying, or of teaching?
7 Even things without life, giving a voice, whether pipe or harp, if they give not a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain voice, who shall prepare himself for war?
9 So also ye, unless ye utter by the tongue speech easy to understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye will be speaking into the air.
ASV

1 Corinthians 14:13-14 3 Wherefore let him that speaketh in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. ASV

1 Corinthians 14:18-19
18 I thank God, I speak with tongues more than you all:
19 howbeit in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that I might instruct others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
ASV

1 Corinthians 14:22-29
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to the unbelieving: but prophesying (is for a sign), not to the unbelieving, but to them that believe.
23 If therefore the whole church be assembled together and all speak with tongues, and there come in men unlearned or unbelieving, will they not say that ye are mad?
24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one unbelieving or unlearned, he is reproved by all, he is judged by all;
25 the secrets of his heart are made manifest; and so he will fall down on his face and worship God, declaring that God is among you indeed.
26 What is it then, brethren? When ye come together, each one hath a psalm, hath a teaching, hath a revelation, hath a tongue, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speaketh in a tongue, (let it be) by two, or at the most three, and (that) in turn; and let one interpret:
28 but if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. American Standard Version

From a reading of the above scriptures one will see that speaking in tongues was a foreign language that had a miraculous application, but was limited to the early beginning of the church ( 1 Corinthians 13:8). The apostle Paul said that they would cease along with the other miracles of that time.

On the day of Pentecost, it is observed that the people heard the apostles speaking a language in their own tongue in which they were born.

THis is a good post. I have been confused about tongues for a long time. It seems to me that modern-day tongues isn't anything like what was in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 14:26-27
Orderly Worship

26What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.

I've never seen tongues interpreted like it is said in the Bible.

28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

The gift of tongues in the New Testament was for building up and edifying, and to profit the church. There seems to be no purpose today, aside from a person's personal speaking to God. But that is supposed to be silent. I guess I'm still confused.:cool:

lauren450 said:
THis is a good post. I have been confused about tongues for a long time. It seems to me that modern-day tongues isn't anything like what was in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 14:26-27
Orderly Worship

26What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.

I've never seen tongues interpreted like it is said in the Bible.

28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

The gift of tongues in the New Testament was for building up and edifying, and to profit the church. There seems to be no purpose today, aside from a person's personal speaking to God. But that is supposed to be silent. I guess I'm still confused.:cool:
I am still confused as well. And it seems like so many folks are Pentacostal or CoC who experience this. I guess it is something I need to continue to pray on.

pbuckley said:
Laying hands on people and them falling out

What is this about?
In my life as a Christian while in the Church of Christ I kinda judged this I believe that this was a baptist thing people running around shouting and screaming and passing out. And people laying hands on others and they falling to the floor I thought all of that was an act a show. I am now trying to open up my mind and I don't know where to start with this one. Is it real? What are these people feeling? What makes you just fall?

Please don't condemn me because 1 I really am not judging and I honestly don't know what to believe here. I really would like to know individual experiences and I would like to be enlightened and I feel safe in asking here.

As far as I know, there is no biblical basis for being "slain in the spirit" (being touched by a man/woman and receiving the spirit and falling). There are several scriptures that support people being so awed by God's presence that they fell to their faces.

Ezekiel 1:28

28Like the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud on the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness all around.
Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Daniel 8:17-18

17So he came near where I stood. And when he came, I was frightened and fell on my face. But he said to me, "Understand, O son of man, that the vision is for the time of the end."
18And when he had spoken to me, I fell into a deep sleep with my face to the ground. But he touched me and made me stand up.

Daniel 10:7-9

7And I, Daniel, alone saw the vision, for the men who were with me did not see the vision, but a great trembling fell upon them, and they fled to hide themselves. 8So I was left alone and saw this great vision, and no strength was left in me. My radiant appearance was fearfully changed, and I retained no strength. 9Then I heard the sound of his words, and as I heard the sound of his words, I fell on my face in deep sleep with my face to the ground.

Acts 26:13-14

13At midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, that shone around me and those who journeyed with me. 14And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'

There aren't any instances in the Bible where people fell as a result of being touched by humans. Be careful with this, because this may be the result of another force at work. Also, when people fell under God's presence in the Bible, God spoke directly to them.

StrawberryQueen said:
I am still confused as well. And it seems like so many folks are Pentacostal or CoC who experience this. I guess it is something I need to continue to pray on.

Right, and a lot of churches actually teach you how to speak in tongues. If something is a divine miracle or gift, how can someone teach you how to receive it? It just doesn't seem biblical to me.

I was looking up some information on tongues and came across this word:

Main Entry: glos·so·la·lia
Pronunciation: "gläs-&-'lA-lE-&, "glos-
Function: noun
: profuse and often emotionally charged speech that mimics coherent speech but is usually unintelligible to the listener and that is uttered in some states of religious ecstasy and in some schizophrenic states

I wonder if this isn't what is happening during those times when the whole church is speaking in different tongues and there is no interpreter.

lauren450 said:
Right, and a lot of churches actually teach you how to speak in tongues. If something is a divine miracle or gift, how can someone teach you how to receive it? It just doesn't seem biblical to me.

I was looking up some information on tongues and came across this word:

Main Entry: glos·so·la·lia
Pronunciation: "gläs-&-'lA-lE-&, "glos-
Function: noun
: profuse and often emotionally charged speech that mimics coherent speech but is usually unintelligible to the listener and that is uttered in some states of religious ecstasy and in some schizophrenic states

I wonder if this isn't what is happening during those times when the whole church is speaking in different tongues and there is no interpreter.

Interpretation is often misunderstood. What is meant by interpretation is for someone to interpret your action. To tell What you are doing. Not so much as word for word what you are saying. (even though I have heard of this happening) The way it was explained to me in my teaching was: If 5 people were in a room together and one started to speak in tongue, some one else out of that five will be to explain the tongue speaker's actions.

StrawberryQueen said:

I saw you ask this in an earlier post. I am neither.

pbuckley said:
Thanks Sweet C, anxiously awaiting your part 2. I don't know what I'd do or how I'd feel all of a sudden speaking in tongues. I having been waiting to get a real prospective on this, someone to actually tell me they have this gift so I could ask what it was like and for confirmation if it was fake or not. Wow! I look forward to more of your insight. Thanks for responding.

I think you are trying to use human intellect over faith and spirit to understand your concerns on these two topics. Pray that God takes anything from your thoughts that condemning and to open your heart to the Spirit of the Lord. After that read the scriptures that some of the ladies here have suggested. Have you been studied the new testment and what type of bible are you studying from? I also suggest that you read the book of John as well.

lauren450 said:

I have never witnessed this or heard of this before.

Also, many denominations AND non-denominational/interdenominational believe in speaking in tongues.

I was skeptical too and often wondered it was fake, but from my experiences (not personal) from different ppl of different churches and denom's, I don't doubt it at all. Sadly, I'm just scared of it. I need to pray on that. :( But I do know that once I get over this fear, it will be the greatest day of my life! :grin:

secretdiamond said:
I have never witnessed this or heard of this before.

Also, many denominations AND non-denominational/interdenominational believe in speaking in tongues.

I was skeptical too and often wondered it was fake, but from my experiences (not personal) from different ppl of different churches and denom's, I don't doubt it at all. Sadly, I'm just scared of it. I need to pray on that. :( But I do know that once I get over this fear, it will be the greatest day of my life! :grin:

I'm not saying it's fake at all! I've been present when others have started speaking in tongues, and I've known lots of people who have done it. What I'm saying is that I'm confused as to way it's done today (not biblical), as well as the purpose (how does it edify the church if nobody understands it?)

As for churches teaching, it happens. I attended a service once where the speaker told everyone to just start babbling and stuttering and saying certain things over and over, and then said that the Holy Spirit would take over. This is not the only church where this was done, either.

lauren450 said:
I'm not saying it's fake at all! I've been present when others have started speaking in tongues, and I've known lots of people who have done it. What I'm saying is that I'm confused as to way it's done today (not biblical), as well as the purpose (how does it edify the church if nobody understands it?)

As for churches teaching, it happens. I attended a service once where the speaker told everyone to just start babbling and stuttering and saying certain things over and over, and then said that the Holy Spirit would take over. This is not the only church where this was done, either.

Oh I'm not saying that you never witnessed it yourself, I was just stating that what you wrote was new to me. I really haven't heard that before. I was only replying to your post in my first sentence. The rest of my post was in general to the content of the whole thread. I'm sorry if it came across as if I was questioning your beliefs or something.

StrawberryQueen said:

I would venture to say that most people in the CoC don't actually experience this. In fact I have never attended one that did.

Great responses ladies, and I'm only adding my experience.

I grow up Pentecostal and I would see people speak but I wasn't sold on the idea. One day at the age of 15 I was in my room on my knees and I began to pray and I told God that I wanted to speak in tongues only if it's real. I didn't want to say stuff just for the sake of it. I began to pray and cry and sure enough I began to speak in tongues.

I see in church today that a lot of people just say stuff but it's not from God it is from flesh. People think they're deep spiritually if they speak in tongues. No you're deep spiritually when you can love those that do you wrong and forgive those that dispitefully misuse you. Then you're deep.

One thing that we as humans do wrong is that we try to understand spiritual things with this earthly mind and the bible says that a carnal mind can not discern spiritual things. When I stopped trying to figure out how it could happen and if it's real and how come God just can't hear my english and I began to trust and desire every perfect and good gift from God that's when I was ready to receive.

Someone here said the Holy Spirit is a gentlemen and he knows when you are ready to receive. It won't be a forced issue. If you never speak that means you never truly surrendered your heart to receive.

God reads our hearts not our lips. Ask him to create in you a clean heart and renew a right spirit. (not that you a bad person), but sometimes our thinking is stinking and we need him to renew us.

Keep searching for those that desire to know God in this matter because he's near unto you, keep on searching.

Be Blessed.

dreamer26 said:

I grow up Pentecostal and I would see people speak but I wasn't sold on the idea. One day at the age of 15 I was in my room on my knees and I began to pray and I told God that I wanted to speak in tongues only if it's real. I didn't want to say stuff just for the sake of it. I began to pray and cry and sure enough I began to speak in tongues.

I see in church today that a lot of people just say stuff but it's not from God it is from flesh. People think they're deep spiritually if they speak in tongues. No you're deep spiritually when you can love those that do you wrong and forgive those that dispitefully misuse you. Then you're deep.

One thing that we as humans do wrong is that we try to understand spiritual things with this earthly mind and the bible says that a carnal mind can not discern spiritual things. When I stopped trying to figure out how it could happen and if it's real and how come God just can't hear my english and I began to trust and desire every perfect and good gift from God that's when I was ready to receive.

Someone here said the Holy Spirit is a gentlemen and he knows when you are ready to receive. It won't be a forced issue. If you never speak that means you never truly surrendered your heart to receive.

God reads our hearts not our lips. Ask him to create in you a clean heart and renew a right spirit. (not that you a bad person), but sometimes our thinking is stinking and we need him to renew us.

Keep searching for those that desire to know God in this matter because he's near unto you, keep on searching.

Be Blessed.
This is such an exellent response for me and what I'm going thru right now. I think I finally found a church home and this topic is up close and personal so I'm trying to understand talking in tongues and the Holy Spirit. I think, like you said, I'm thinking too hard; trying too hard to figure it out. I need to surrender and open my heart to receive and I've been telling myself this and praying on it the last several days. Thank you so much. I needed this.

dreamer26 said:

Be Blessed.

How does the bolded part of your statement line up with scripture?

tmichelle said:
How does the bolded part of your statement line up with scripture?

Ephesians 3: 17-19 Says

17-That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye being rooted and grounded in love

18- May be able to comprehend with all saints that is the breadth and length and depth and height;
19-And to know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.

Matthew 6: 21, Where your treasure is there will your heart be also.

Matthew 12: 34, O generation of vipers how can ye being evil speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

God desires to fill you with the fullness of himself but out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speakth.

If you don't have a clean heart and changed heart how can Christ enter in and if he doesn't enter how how can he speak through you.

Matthew 22: 37, Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all they soul and with all thy mind.

This walk with God is a heart thing all the way.

Jeremiah 17: 9 & 10
The heart is deceitful above all things and desperatley wicked; who can know it?
I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins even to give every man according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings.

Acts 7:51, Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears ye do always resist the Holy Ghost; as your father did so do ye.

Ephesians 6: 6 Not with eye service as men pleasers but as the servants of Christ doing the will of God from the heart.

It all about the heart. We get caught up in what man does but when we stand before God the only that will last is what did from the heart.

Last but not least

Romans 10:10, For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

You can not be saved until you believe from your heart. Not from your mouth from your heart. That's why so many people walk the isle of the church and get saved but their lives never change. Not because God can't change them or God isn't God but it's because the heart didn't believe.

I hope this answered your question.

dreamer26 said:

17-That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye being rooted and grounded in love

18- May be able to comprehend with all saints that is the breadth and length and depth and height;
19-And to know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.

Matthew 12: 34, O generation of vipers how can ye being evil speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

God desires to fill you with the fullness of himself but out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speakth.

If you don't have a clean heart and changed heart how can Christ enter in and if he doesn't enter how how can he speak through you.

Matthew 22: 37, Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all they soul and with all thy mind.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperatley wicked; who can know it?
I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins even to give every man according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings.

Acts 7:51, Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears ye do always resist the Holy Ghost; as your father did so do ye.

Ephesians 6: 6 Not with eye service as men pleasers but as the servants of Christ doing the will of God from the heart.

It all about the heart. We get caught up in what man does but when we stand before God the only that will last is what did from the heart.

Last but not least

Romans 10:10, For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

You can not be saved until you believe from your heart. Not from your mouth from your heart. That's why so many people walk the isle of the church and get saved but their lives never change. Not because God can't change them or God isn't God but it's because the heart didn't believe.

The gift of tongues is but ONE gift given by the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:4-12

4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.

Not everyone receives the same gifts. Also, Paul doesn't consider tongues to be the most important gift:

1 Corinthians 14:14-19

14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand[a] say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

See also:

1 Corinthians 14:5

5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[a] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[b] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

Hmm, for those who have/do speak in tongues, were you alone or in church?

Because it appears to me that this is an aloud thing, and when I'm alone I always pray to myself (not speaking).

Thanks

dreamer26 said:
One thing that we as humans do wrong is that we try to understand spiritual things with this earthly mind and the bible says that a carnal mind can not discern spiritual things.

I so believe this. Last night , I spent time trying to find scriptures that reference people being annointed and being slain in the spirit. I found none. There are scriptures of peolpe being paralized, falling to their knees, quivering, etc. in His presence. But not a one (that I could find) that was the result of being annointed. So I was frustrated to say the least.

This morning after talking to my husband I was kinda able to sort things out. I think I was so frustrated because I felt like if I found scriptures then they would legitamize MY experience and show how powerful He truly is. Today, I realized I need to take the ME out. :grin: It's all about Him. Each of us will have a different journey maybe similar but definitely different. Our bodies are weak, frail and temporary. When the Holy Spirit is present who knows how each of our bodies may react. God is so wonderful, so mighty, and so powerful it's a wonder I haven't started turning cartwheels. :eek:

After doing some research last night, I found that it's also known as "resting in the spirit." This term describes my experience more fully because I can totally remember everything...from falling to the pastor's wife catching me. I was cognizant of everything. And the funny part is that I remembered thinking, why do I feel so light...lol. I didn't feel like I dropped like a sack of potatoes. It was very gentle. I agree..the Holy Spirit is a gentlemen. :D

My advice to you, Mamacita, is to keep loving Him and seeking Him. He knows your heart and He'll work it all out. ;)

It explains speaking but not speaking in tongues.

dreamer26 said:

Last but not least

lauren450 said:
The gift of tongues is but ONE gift given by the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:4-12

4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.

Not everyone receives the same gifts. Also, Paul doesn't consider tongues to be the most important gift:

1 Corinthians 14:14-19

14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand[a] say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

See also:

1 Corinthians 14:5

5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,[a] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues,[b] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1 Corinthians 14:5 that you wrote was what went through my mind concerning the post that you (and I) quoted about tongue speaking.

I wonder why the gift of tongues (which is supposed to be to instruct others as stated in 1 Cor. 14:5, 20) is only spoken in words that few can understand not actually other earthly languages like during pentacost where non-believers could hear and believe. Also I think it rather odd that so many (in some cases almost everyone in the church) can speak in a tongue, but what about these other gifts? What happened to them? Why aren't people having limbs restored (like we see examples of in the New Testament) or being raised from the dead? Even prophets from the Old Testament could do that not to mention the New Testament examples, ie. Paul and Eutychus. I'd love to see some of these soldiers who have had their legs blasted off actually regrow them. Or people being raised from the dead.

Also, I feel compelled to write this, but only for whom this may apply and only to think deeply about, not necessarily to agree with me, but to examine. It was written in other posts about experiences people had with falling out or speaking in tongues etc. that were not the same as the experiences of those in the Bible. Please, please, please make sure that if your experiences are not lining up with the Bible in ANY way that you pray and examine yourself and ensure you are not being deceived, because we are told that their is a great deceiver. If your experiences do line up with the words of the Bible than great, but if they are different, humble yourself and truly ask to know the truth to ENSURE you haven't been decieved.

Also what comes to mind are the magicians of ancient Egypt and how by their magic arts they were able to perform the same "miracles" Moses did. Remeber that the Holy Spirit isn't the only spirit around. Just be careful ladies. I don't want to be decieved and I don't want anyone else to either!

tmichelle said:
Also, I feel compelled to write this, but only for whom this may apply and only to think deeply about, not necessarily to agree with me, but to examine. It was written in other posts about experiences people had with falling out or speaking in tongues etc. that were not the same as the experiences of those in the Bible. Please, please, please make sure that if your experiences are not lining up with the Bible in ANY way that you pray and examine yourself and ensure you are not being deceived, because we are told that their is a great deceiver. If your experiences do line up with the words of the Bible than great, but if they are different, humble yourself and truly ask to know the truth to ENSURE you haven't been decieved.

Also what comes to mind are the magicians of ancient Egypt and how by their magic arts they were able to perform the same "miracles" Moses did. Remeber that the Holy Spirit isn't the only spirit around. Just be careful ladies. I don't want to be decieved and I don't want anyone else to either!

Yes I agree that the devil has power and he does decieve, but the devil also do not have an orginal thought or idea. The reason why there are false prophets because there are true ones. He mimics God.

But Mark 16: 17-18 says this:

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues,
18 They shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

Of course we as humans in and of ourselves we have no power, but if you are saved and have been given the authority to use the Name of Jesus, you have power.

The bible doesn't say you might speak, but it says you shall speak. But you have to believe. If you don't think it's real or it's not for you, guess what? You're right, to you it's not real and to you it won't happen.

Yes you can speak in tongues, yes you can rebuke the devil and cast him out. Yes in the name of Jesus you can lay your hands on the sick and my bible says they shall recover. We are so afraid of things we don't understand. But if you're waiting to understand God fully before you trust him, you'll live your live way beneath your promises.

I respect totally what you're saying, but the acid test to anything being done is what is your motive? I believe tongues ought to be done as the bible says when it's done in church (with an interpreter) otherwise no one is being edified and God is not be glorified.

If you're speaking in tongues to be seen, God is not in that.
If you go to church to be seen, God is not please with that either.
If you're preaching to be seen,God is not in that.
If you give money with an unpure motive,God is not in that.

In everything we do, we need to ask ourselves, what is my purpose or motive for doing it. If your answer is not to bring God some glory.

SIT IT DOWN.

Be blessed.

dreamer26 said:
Yes I agree that the devil has power and he does decieve, but the devil also do not have an orginal thought or idea. The reason why there are false prophets because there are true ones. He mimics God.

But Mark 16: 17-18 says this:

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues,
18 They shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

Of course we as humans in and of ourselves we have no power, but if you are saved and have been given the authority to use the Name of Jesus, you have power.

The bible doesn't say you might speak, but it says you shall speak. But you have to believe. If you don't think it's real or it's not for you, guess what? You're right, to you it's not real and to you it won't happen.

Yes you can speak in tongues, yes you can rebuke the devil and cast him out. Yes in the name of Jesus you can lay your hands on the sick and my bible says they shall recover. We are so afraid of things we don't understand. But if you're waiting to understand God fully before you trust him, you'll live your live way beneath your promises.

I respect totally what you're saying, but the acid test to anything being done is what is your motive? I believe tongues ought to be done as the bible says when it's done in church (with an interpreter) otherwise no one is being edified and God is not be glorified.

If you're speaking in tongues to be seen, God is not in that.
If you go to church to be seen, God is not please with that either.
If you're preaching to be seen,God is not in that.
If you give money with an unpure motive,God is not in that.

In everything we do, we need to ask ourselves, what is my purpose or motive for doing it. If your answer is not to bring God some glory.

SIT IT DOWN.

Be blessed.

I truly am with you on the bolded part! I have learned recently more and more how much our hearts are what counts. I just had to underscore that. Here's my understanding about many of the miraculous gifts,

1 Cor. 13

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Belief in or against miraculous gifts doesn't stop the Holy Spirit, because many people received the Holy Spirit without knowing it was coming, ie. Cornelius and his household, even King Saul prophesied with the prophets (and not on purpose!)

Something that concerns me greatly is knowing that the devil goes around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour and also Paul wrote in 2 Thessalonians:

1Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him,

2that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.
3Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
4who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
5Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things?
6And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed.
7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.
8Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;
9that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,
10and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
11For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

Aside from my understanding of the scripture, I still haven't found people who speak in tongues (which literally means languages) for the benefit of outsiders. It always seems to be for the benefit of those already there, not for people outside the church like is stated in scripture. Also, these other miraculous gifts seem to be ignored. I mean I've seen and heard about healings, but Christ did healings that NO one could deny such as raising someone who had been dead for 4 days, or restoring a withered hand. How come everyone can speak in tongues but no one can raise an AIDS victim from the dead after 4 days and restore him to good health?

tmichelle said:
I truly am with you on the bolded part! I have learned recently more and more how much our hearts are what counts. I just had to underscore that. Here's my understanding about many of the miraculous gifts,

Aside from my understanding of the scripture, I still haven't found people who speak in tongues (which literally means languages) for the benefit of outsiders. It always seems to be for the benefit of those already there, not for people outside the church like is stated in scripture. Also, these other miraculous gifts seem to be ignored. I mean I've seen and heard about healings, but Christ did healings that NO one could deny such as raising someone who had been dead for 4 days, or restoring a withered hand. How come everyone can speak in tongues but no one can raise an AIDS victim from the dead after 4 days and restore him to good health?

I feel you, I'm there also wondering why we don't have it like Christ did back in the day, when he told us that Greater works shall you do.

What Christians have to understand is signs and wonders are not for the believer. I don't need God to ever show up in a pillow of fire or a cloud of smoke. My faith is way beyond that and if I did witness something like that. I'm not going to flock to a church or a man just because he did something out of the ordinary. The scriptures you references deals with that. God wants you to follow him and trust him based on his word, not a sign and a wonder, or a tongue, or someone falling out.

If my people who are called by my name would humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways. Then will I hear from heaven and heal their land.

I believe when we the church separate ourselves from the world we'll see God show up greatly. When we put a difference between clean and unclean and holy and unholy.

Today the church does everything the world does and then some and we expect God to be pleased.

Let's bring it home let's look at our own life, what are we doing that God is not pleased with, what can we give up or let go.

Remember the shortness is not in GOD it's in us.

Back