HAIR JOURNEY vs. HEIGHT (torso)

I'm SOOOOOOO glad you mentioned this. I'm 5'8 but with a really long torso....

So when I see shorter women like Kimmaytube with waist length hair my first response is "my bsl hair is probably as long if not longer than hers and you cant even tell" :perplexed

it's frustrating as many of the hair stars I see appear shorter. and a lot of the "i went from bald to waistlength in 2 years" posters are as well

If ya'll know any err uh...."taller" YouTube hair folks please share.

I mean no shade....just venting the frustrations of a *long-backed chick on a hair journey :lachen:

*women who are about 5'10 or so have a comparable torso to mine.

OMG Im so happy about this thread too. The shorter girls - it takes them no time to get to waist length. All of the girls on Youtube that are waistlength are waaayyy shorter than I am so when I see them I'm not as "impressed" as most girls that go goo-goo-ga-ga over it. lol. No hate-but if your hair rate growth is average then of course you will be waistlength in less time than taller girls.
Sucks for us tall girls that want more length lol

Anyway. I am 5'9 1/2" and my waist is at 31 1/2 inches measures from my hairline

From CROWN to WAIST: 27"
I'm 5'7"

I'm thinking a lot of people aren't really measuing starting at the crown and ending at the waist (about an inch ABOVE the belly button. Where the torso curves).

brastraplength-1.jpg

Our measurements are almost the same:yep:

I'm 5'3

Hairline to waist 29.5''
Hairline to waist in front 23''
Crown to waist 26''
Nape to waist 18''

I kept thinking I was measuring my nape wrong because other peoples' had theirs being much longer. I guess I do have a big head. We're pretty much torso buddies :grin:

OMG Im so happy about this thread too. The shorter girls - it takes them no time to get to waist length. All of the girls on Youtube that are waistlength are waaayyy shorter than I am so when I see them I'm not as "impressed" as most girls that go goo-goo-ga-ga over it. lol. No hate-but if your hair rate growth is average then of course you will be waistlength in less time than taller girls.
Sucks for us tall girls that want more length lol

Anyway. I am 5'9 1/2" and my waist is at 31 1/2 inches measures from my hairline

:yep::yep:

exactly

I understand what you're saying but how many people do you know have and/or are aiming to have the front of their hair to be the same length as their longest layer? I know I'm definitely not. And our crown to waist measurement, which is more important is half an inch off, and our nape to waist is the same so we would both be grazing waist at the same measurement and would be a month or a couple of months apart for the majority of our hair. Plus, my biggest point in all this (carried from the kimmay thread) is that height doesn't matter and it's one's measurements that are most important. If I was shorter, my legs would be shorter, and we would still have the same measurements. I could take about 4 inches from my legs and look normal and we would have the same distance, me being 5'3 and you 5'7.

And another thing, one's issue with retaining length becomes a personal issue and therefore, someone else's measurements have nothing to do with your own journey. It's not Kimmay's (or any short woman's) fault that she can retain 6 inches while other people can only retain half their growth. Her height definitely has nothing to do with that.

Yes, a lot of women do want blunt cuts -A lot of people want to achieve Full BSL / MBL / WL. There have been several polls done on it. I am one who wants to achieve blunt hair as well, so if anything, it should be measured from the crown, not the nape. If you just wanted your nape to be waist your layers would be at least 6" between shortest and longest which is way too much layering for me. But I feel like layers vs blunt cut is beside the point.

I agree that height doesn't matter and that measurements do, so I think fundamentally we are in agreement, but I still think that me not being able to reach waist from the nape until at least four months after you is significant. Plus, measuring from the nape would only leave a few hairs at WL, and most people don't want to say they've achieved WL until they at least have more than the very back few strands there (at least crown).

Is everyone counting the belly button as the waist? The waist should be higher than the belly button since it is by definition the narrowest part of the abdomen:

Umm, no, I measure to my actual waist and my measurement from front hairline is still 33".

Last edited:
I'm 5'1 and my measurements are:
Hairline to waist- approximately 26 to 27 inches, I have a huge puff on top of my head right now so I can't measure it exactly lol
Nape to waist- 15 inches
Crown to waist- 24 inches

ETA: I totally measured wrong earlier. I corrected my hairline measurement.

Last edited:
I'm 6'1 and my WL from the crown of my head is 3 feet... yep... 36 inches... :grin::grin::grin:

No way in hell I am aiming for that though... SL and/or APL is fine with me... :yep::yep::yep:

ETA and that is my actual waist measurement...slightly above the belly button.

Last edited:
i'm 5'10"

hairline to natural waist (mid torso) 31 in.
crown to natural waist 24 in.
nape to natural waist 19 in.

hairline to hipbone (where I wear my pants/belt) 35 in.
crown to hipbone 28 in.
nape to hipbone 24 in.

I am 5ft 10.5 in tall and from my hairline at my nape to my waist is 22 inches minus the 6 in of hair I have now will give me 16 more inches of growth before I will ever reach waist length! Wow that seems so far away! But my goal is only mbl which equates to 15 inches which leaves me 9 more inches to go minus the 6 i already have. That to me I believe is a more attainable goal for me.

I need to correct my measurements a bit:
Fm my crown to my waist is 30 in and fm mr crown to midback which is my ultimate goal is 26 inches

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of women do want blunt cuts -A lot of people want to achieve Full BSL / MBL / WL. There have been several polls done on it. I am one who wants to achieve blunt hair as well, so if anything, it should be measured from the crown, not the nape. If you just wanted your nape to be waist your layers would be at least 6" between shortest and longest which is way too much layering for me. But I feel like layers vs blunt cut is beside the point.

I agree that height doesn't matter and that measurements do, so I think fundamentally we are in agreement, but I still think that me not being able to reach waist from the nape until at least four months after you is significant. Plus, measuring from the nape would only leave a few hairs at WL, and most people don't want to say they've achieved WL until they at least have more than the very back few strands there (at least crown).

Umm, no, I measure to my actual waist and my measurement from front hairline is still 33".

Um...just wondering....but when you quoted me, did you miss this part:

"And our crown to waist measurement, which is more important is half an inch off, and our nape to waist is the same so we would both be grazing waist at the same measurement and would be a month or a couple of months apart for the majority of our hair."

I didn't know having a blunt cut meant that your edges (which is where we are measuring from hairline) had to be the same length as the rest of your hair. I was referring to the hairline when I said people are not aiming for the front of their hair to reach the longest layer, not the crown.

My crown to waist is 26. Your crown to waist is 26.5. I really don't want to continue to argue about it but if it takes you (in a general sense) an entire 4 months to get an extra half an inch then that sounds like a retention and/or diet and/or health issues. I also don't think 4, 5 or even 6 months is significant. Ok, so I get to waistlength in January and you get to waistlength in June. That's not that big of a time difference. Not when I keep seeing people say stuff like "my super long torso is keeping me from reaching bsl" even though technically they should only be a few months behind that short person whose length apparently is not amazing.

Last edited:
I'm 6 feet and 1/2 and my crown to waist is 29 inches

(with chin straight forward...i.e. NO GANGSTA LEAN).... so W-T-Fugggggggggggg:look:????????
:cry2: am deformed :blush: have a lonnnnggg back and stumpy legs. Even have to get petite length trousers taken up :lol:

actually I remeasured according to your chart and I was measuring to belly button, so i think it's more like 28 ish.

Um...just wondering....but when you quoted me, did you miss this part:

"And our crown to waist measurement, which is more important is half an inch off, and our nape to waist is the same so we would both be grazing waist at the same measurement and would be a month or a couple of months apart for the majority of our hair."

I didn't know having a blunt cut meant that your edges (which is where we are measuring from hairline) had to be the same length as the rest of your hair. I was referring to the hairline when I said people are not aiming for the front of their hair to reach the longest layer, not the crown.

My crown to waist is 26. Your crown to waist is 26.5. I really don't want to continue to argue about it but if it takes you (in a general sense) an entire 4 months to get an extra half an inch then that sounds like a retention and/or diet and/or health issues. I also don't think 4, 5 or even 6 months is significant. Ok, so I get to waistlength in January and you get to waistlength in June. That's not that big of a time difference. Not when I keep seeing people say stuff like "my super long torso is keeping me from reaching bsl" even though technically they should only be a few months behind that short person whose length apparently is not amazing.

In my earlier post, four months referred to the nape measurement difference (we aren't the same) of 2" (not the crown difference of .5"). I quoted you to discuss a specific point , not to argue.

crown to waist: 26,5''
nape: 18''
i'm 5.2''
it seems that the norm is 26-28'' crown to waist

i think so too. so can we stop belittling others progress due to height differences?:look:

I never saw this happen until about a year or so ago.there were rarely height threads and none of this "well she is a midget so her progress isnt significant" talk.:nono:

I'm 6'1 and my WL from the crown of my head is 3 feet... yep... 36 inches... :grin::grin::grin:

No way in hell I am aiming for that though... SL and/or APL is fine with me... :yep::yep::yep:

ETA and that is my actual waist measurement...slightly above the belly button.

what-the-FUDGE-SICKLE:look::blush::blush::blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

hmmmmm about the same height, but u have like 5 or so inches on me in measurements:grin:

are u all torso? guess I'm all legs:look::lachen:

maybe we're circus freaks

Something ain't right here.... How is it that some of y'all only have like 2 inches from your hairline to your crown? That's impossible aint it? Unless you have top edges.... :perplexed

Back