HAIR JOURNEY vs. HEIGHT (torso)

Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 26''
hairline to waist in front 23''
nape to waist 19''
i'm 5'7

You should add a poll because all I'm seeing are a couple inches in differences which equates to only a few months assuming average growth. Folks act like it's gonna take an extra year or two (which may be if you only grow like 1-3 inches in a year)

Last edited:
If ya'll know any err uh...."taller" YouTube hair folks please share.

I mean no shade....just venting the frustrations of a *long-backed chick on a hair journey :lachen:

*women who are about 5'10 or so have a comparable torso to mine.

Hellur! Check out Roshini she is tall (6'0'' or taller) :) Plus she has been natural since 2002. She is my original inspiration :)

YouTube - Glamazini #236: Box Braids & Cornrows

Glamazini.com ~ Roshini's Natural Hair Journey: I <3 This Braidout!

Crown to Waist = 27 inches approx.
Nape to Waist = 19 inches approx.
Hairline to Waist = 25 inches approx.

I am about 5'7

Hairline to waist 30''
Crown to waist 28''
hairline to waist in front 24''
nape to waist 19''

height 5'2 and 1/2''

Yeap I'm still a circus freak. :lol:

I'm 5'9" and my measurment from the crown in 29".

LonghairDon'tcare2011 did a measurement video a while back and from the front of her hairline to the end of her hair she got 32" (she's hip length). The front of my hairline to hip length is 34". If I'm not mistaken she's about 5'2"-5'4", so really height makes a difference but it is not directly correlated with the number of inches it takes to reach a certain length (i.e for a person 6 inches taller than another person they may only need 2 more inches in length to reach the same hair goal).

See 4:00 into the video for her measurements
YouTube - NATURAL HAIR update WITH RESULTS from A low maintenance regimen

Last edited:
Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 25.5''
hairline to waist in front 24.5''
nape to waist 17.5''

And I'm 5'3"

How does one know if they have a long or short torso?

SO THE PROPER MEASUREMENT IS FROM EITHER ONE?

HAIRLINE TO WAIST.... OR CENTER (CROWN) TO WAIST??

The first picture you show is measuring a little before crown, but the second picture you show is measuring from front hairline. So there might be a mix of numbers you get. The only place I chat on regularly where they measure like this is LHC, and they do it from hairline. I'm 30" hairline to waist, and I'm 5'2" or so.

Last edited:
I'm 5'2 and 1/2, lawd I hope I'm measuring accurately because my natural waist is 30'' making me a circus freak :lachen:

No... :lol: I'm 5'7" and mine is 33 inches. Everyone's different. There are women here that are 6' with a shorter torso and neck than mine. That's why I don't pay attention when people say their height in reference to their hair length. The measurements would be even more extreme for me if it were to hip or tailbone.

To waist...

From crown: 26.5"
From nape: 21"
From hairline: 33"

Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 25.5''
nape to waist 17.5''

And I'm 5'3"

How does one know if they have a long or short torso?[/QUOTE]

How to tell if you have a short, balanced, or long waist.

A very quick and easy way to tell if you have a short waist is to stand up straight, and see if you can fit two hand widths under your bust to your waist (narrowest point).

If you can fit more than two hand widths you have a long waist, less than two, a short waist.

crown to waist is 29inches and I am 5'3, sob, <<starts slowly counting fingers to figure out time to goal length>>

imma need somebody to give me a bulk buying membership discount cuz I going to be here (LHCF) a looooonnnngggg time.

Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 26''
nape to waist 19''
i'm 5'7

You should add a poll because all I'm seeing are a couple inches in differences which equates to only a few months assuming average growth. Folks act like it's gonna take an extra year or two (which may be if you only grow like 1-3 inches in a year)

No... :lol: I'm 5'7" and mine is 33 inches. Everyone's different. There are women here that are 6' with a shorter torso and neck than mine. That's why I don't pay attention when people say their height in reference to their hair length. The measurements would be even more extreme for me if it were to hip or tailbone.

To waist...

From crown: 26.5"
From nape: 21"
From hairline: 33"

Four inches is quite a bit of a difference between the two of us and we're the same height. If I were taller and you were shorter it would add up to even more inches. Many (if not most) members only retain 3-4 inches in a year especially with trims / setbacks such as breakage. And 3" is an average estimated distance between length milestones on most people's bodies. I don't think the different measurements are anything to whine or complain about, but I do think they are significant.

B/w 5'6" and 5'7" and measured in at 22 inches from crown to waist.

Sent from my Ally using Long Hair Care Forum App

Four inches is quite a bit of a difference between the two of us and we're the same height. If I were taller and you were shorter it would add up to even more inches. Many (if not most) members only retain 3-4 inches in a year especially with trims / setbacks such as breakage. And 3" is an average estimated distance between length milestones on most people's bodies. I don't think the different measurements are anything to whine or complain about, but I do think they are significant.

I understand what you're saying but how many people do you know have and/or are aiming to have the front of their hair to be the same length as their longest layer? I know I'm definitely not. And our crown to waist measurement, which is more important is half an inch off, and our nape to waist is the same so we would both be grazing waist at the same measurement and would be a month or a couple of months apart for the majority of our hair. Plus, my biggest point in all this (carried from the kimmay thread) is that height doesn't matter and it's one's measurements that are most important. If I was shorter, my legs would be shorter, and we would still have the same measurements. I could take about 4 inches from my legs and look normal and we would have the same distance, me being 5'3 and you 5'7.

And another thing, one's issue with retaining length becomes a personal issue and therefore, someone else's measurements have nothing to do with your own journey. It's not Kimmay's (or any short woman's) fault that she can retain 6 inches while other people can only retain half their growth. Her height definitely has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
I'm 5'3

Hairline to waist 29.5''
Hairline to waist in front 23''
Crown to waist 26''
Nape to waist 18''

This is crazy, there are people almost 5" taller than me with similar measurements.:spinning:

crown to waist is 29inches and I am 5'3, sob, <<starts slowly counting fingers to figure out time to goal length>>

imma need somebody to give me a bulk buying membership discount cuz I going to be here (LHCF) a looooonnnngggg time.

I'm 6 feet and 1/2 and my crown to waist is 29 inches

(with chin straight forward...i.e. NO GANGSTA LEAN).... so W-T-Fugggggggggggg:look:????????

Last edited:
@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT @EllePixie @4bslbound @Conterria @ hanna_light @havilland @PerplexingComplex @Nonie @boingboing @Wildchild453 @Bluetopia @Nelli04

QUICK QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: When measuring from hairline to waist, are you measuring over-the-face and chest (Front measure), or over the crown of the head and down the back (Back measure)?

I did crown to waist & I did it down my back. Didn't want my breasts adding extra inches.

Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 25.5''
nape to waist 17.5''

And I'm 5'3"

How does one know if they have a long or short torso?[/QUOTE]

How to tell if you have a short, balanced, or long waist.

A very quick and easy way to tell if you have a short waist is to stand up straight, and see if you can fit two hand widths under your bust to your waist (narrowest point).

If you can fit more than two hand widths you have a long waist, less than two, a short waist.

Really? I have small hands though. :look::lol: I always thought I had a short torso and my legs were longer. At least that's what most people comment me on.

I'm almost 5'6 & shortwaisted (waist is @ 3.5 inches below bra strap)

Crown to waist=24.5 in
Hairline to waist=28 in

I did a little digging and body proportions should be proportional to the length of your head. From the top of your head to your feet should be 7-8 heads. From shoulder to waist should be 2 heads, as shown...

body-proportions.jpg

I'm 5'3

Hairline to waist 29.5''
Crown to waist 26''
Nape to waist 18''

This is crazy, there are people almost 5" taller than me with similar measurements.:spinning:

i'm 5'9" and our measurements are significantly different EXCEPT that there's only one inch difference in nape to waist b/n us. i'm 19" from nape to waist. (34" from hair to waist, 29" from crown to waist and 30" from hairline to waist (i.e my belly button) in the front)

so while it would take us about the same time to be be able to claim waist it would take me 8 months longer to reach my waist if measuring from the hairline (it is 34" on me). Basically, you're layers will grow out faster.

i'm 5'9" and our measurements are significantly different EXCEPT that there's only one inch difference in nape to waist b/n us. i'm 19" from nape to waist. (34" from hair to waist, 29" from crown to waist and 30" from hairline to waist (i.e my belly button) in the front)

so while it would take us about the same time to be be able to claim waist it would take me 8 months longer to reach my waist if measuring from the hairline (it is 34" on me). Basically, you're layers will grow out faster.

:shocked:

I sooo wannna be taller:crybaby:

Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 26''
nape to waist 19''
i'm 5'7

same for me :yep:

Hairline to waist 29''
Crown to waist 25.5''
nape to waist 17.5''

And I'm 5'3"

How does one know if they have a long or short torso?

Our measurements are almost the same:yep:

I'm 5'3

Hairline to waist 29.5''
Crown to waist 26''
Nape to waist 18''

Is everyone counting the belly button as the waist? The waist should be higher than the belly button since it is by definition the narrowest part of the abdomen:

Juicy_Bikini_women_underwear_in_China.jpg

Back