Fall 2011 Steaming Challenge

Hey again!

On pg 10 I asked if anyone had steamed in kinky twists without using conditioner, and said I'd be back with updates --- here I am :)

Yes, steaming in twists w/out conditioner is completely do-able. You don't even need to rinse out, which is cool because I don't really like all the "in and outs" I have to do normally. However, since my hair is still in twists idk if it's as moisturized as it would be had I used conditioner. I doubt it. On the other hand, my twists are going on 3 weeks this Friday and are in good shape, which is something I can't usually say when I shampoo/steam like I normally do.

Hope that helps somebody, somewhere :)

[USER=147168 said:
ToSelahWithLove[/USER];14637575]Hey again!

On pg 10 I asked if anyone had steamed in kinky twists without using conditioner, and said I'd be back with updates --- here I am :)

Yes, steaming in twists w/out conditioner is completely do-able. You don't even need to rinse out, which is cool because I don't really like all the "in and outs" I have to do normally. However, since my hair is still in twists idk if it's as moisturized as it would be had I used conditioner. I doubt it. On the other hand, my twists are going on 3 weeks this Friday and are in good shape, which is something I can't usually say when I shampoo/steam like I normally do.

Hope that helps somebody, somewhere :)

Thanks for the update. I was just thinking this past weekend, "Where is the girl with those twists? She was supposed to give us an update." :lol:

I really was. And here you are.

I'm not going to try it this weekend but I think I will try it over the holiday. :yep:

lol faithVA !

I was trying to give it a few go's before I came back with results. But I do love steaming, and it doesn't affect the way they look so I'm in the game. I've only done it once a week for 2 weeks, but I think I might up it to twice a week.... just because I like being under the steamer. lol.

At the same time, I think I might throw in at least ONE time using conditioner within the next 3 weeks. I wanna make sure that my hair is SUPER moisturized by the time I take these twists out -- I, like most of yall, have got goals baby!

I've been slacking on steaming but, NappyNelle post in my inbox sounded so delicious I can't resist. Hmmm....now what to use? I bought some new goodies to try. I love it when I have choices! :drunk: Takes so little to make me happy.

Sorry to just pop in on this thread but I just steamed for the first time today and I was kinda alarmed afterwards. I steamed the homemade way and when rinsing with cold water my hair felt weird....it didn't feel mushy and silky like it usually does when rinsing out this dc.....it felt kinda rough, this never happens so i was weirded out. I hope I didn't scorch my hair with the towel (I put it in the microwave). I'm under the dryer now w/ a rollerset hoping all is well. Anybody else have this happen? I was really expecting it to be super silky feeling when I rinsed....like the gates of heaven would open when I began rinsing, lmao....instead I was like:perplexed

Sorry to just pop in on this thread but I just steamed for the first time today and I was kinda alarmed afterwards. I steamed the homemade way and when rinsing with cold water my hair felt weird....it didn't feel mushy and silky like it usually does when rinsing out this dc.....it felt kinda rough, this never happens so i was weirded out. I hope I didn't scorch my hair with the towel (I put it in the microwave). I'm under the dryer now w/ a rollerset hoping all is well. Anybody else have this happen? I was really expecting it to be super silky feeling when I rinsed....like the gates of heaven would open when I began rinsing, lmao....instead I was like:perplexed

Hey Pokahontas, I don't have an answer for you but I did at least want you to know that someone has read your post.

If you were steaming with a towel, you wouldn't have scorched your hair or have any other type of damage to it. I don't think you really could have gotten the towel hot enough to really cause damage. Not sure how you usually dc, maybe the towel really didn't provide enough heat. Not going to keep guessing.

Going to let someone else thats more familiar with that way of steaming provide some insight. But I wouldn't worry. I am sure your hair is fine.

Hey @Pokahontas, I don't have an answer for you but I did at least want you to know that someone has read your post.

If you were steaming with a towel, you wouldn't have scorched your hair or have any other type of damage to it. I don't think you really could have gotten the towel hot enough to really cause damage. Not sure how you usually dc, maybe the towel really didn't provide enough heat. Not going to keep guessing.

Going to let someone else thats more familiar with that way of steaming provide some insight. But I wouldn't worry. I am sure your hair is fine.
Thank you faithVA. I just combed out my set and my hair seems ok. I wasn't expecting it to feel that way when rinsing and it scared me. Maybe I should put a cap on then a towel....I've read of it being done both ways and it seemed like the towel directly on the hair would be more penetrating.

Oh and I usually dc with just a plastic cap over my hair and under the dryer. Normally the conditioner I use has super slip, it's heavenly...but this time it didn't.

Thank you faithVA. I just combed out my set and my hair seems ok. I wasn't expecting it to feel that way when rinsing and it scared me. Maybe I should put a cap on then a towel....I've read of it being done both ways and it seemed like the towel directly on the hair would be more penetrating.

Oh and I usually dc with just a plastic cap over my hair and under the dryer. Normally the conditioner I use has super slip, it's heavenly...but this time it didn't.

I was gonna ask if the conditioner was a protein or not because I remember steaming with a protein once and my hair felt kinda rough and stiff also. But if you've used it before than I don't know.

I'd say try it again with a different conditioner and see what happens.

[USER=8236 said:
Pokahontas[/USER];14647961]Thank you @faithVA. I just combed out my set and my hair seems ok. I wasn't expecting it to feel that way when rinsing and it scared me. Maybe I should put a cap on then a towel....I've read of it being done both ways and it seemed like the towel directly on the hair would be more penetrating.

You still may want to keep the plastic cap to trap the heat in. I don't think you will trap the heat in the same with just a towel. If you aren't using the plastic cap when you compare your towel steaming with your regular steaming method it isn't comparable.

I was gonna ask if the conditioner was a protein or not because I remember steaming with a protein once and my hair felt kinda rough and stiff also. But if you've used it before than I don't know.

Thanks for your reply. No it wasn't protein. I'm going to try again on my next wash.

You still may want to keep the plastic cap to trap the heat in. I don't think you will trap the heat in the same with just a towel. If you aren't using the plastic cap when you compare your towel steaming with your regular steaming method it isn't comparable.
faithVA I'm meaning maybe I should put a cap over my hair and than the towel, another cap and maybe a second towel covered with a plastic bag. Do you think this would create steam without the towel being directly on my hair? I really feel like the towel should probably be directly on my hair though.

Thanks for your reply. No it wasn't protein. I'm going to try again on my next wash.

@faithVA I'm meaning maybe I should put a cap over my hair and than the towel, another cap and maybe a second towel covered with a plastic bag. Do you think this would create steam without the towel being directly on my hair? I really feel like the towel should probably be directly on my hair though.

I am suggesting you put on a plastic cap and then cover it with the towel. I don't see how you are creating steam without the plastic cap. You may want to at least try it to compare.

You know what...I forgot I slathered my dry hair in coconut oil before applying the dc...maybe it was that.

SLACKER ALERT!!! :whyme: I haven't steamed in a month and I haven't shampoo'd properly in at least 3 weeks. *sigh* But I just finished my semester and I should be back on track (at least until the next semester starts) soon. :yep:

SLACKER ALERT!!! :whyme: I haven't steamed in a month and I haven't shampoo'd properly in at least 3 weeks. *sigh* But I just finished my semester and I should be back on track (at least until the next semester starts) soon. :yep:

Congratulations carameldelight87 on finishing your semester.

And I will give you a pass on being a slacker. I created the challenge and I think I am doing worse than you :ohwell:

But we still have a month to go so lets get some steaming in.

I am still steaming using a hot moist towel, my heating cap and olive oil as a pre-poo once a week. I haven't used my steamer for my deep conditioning in weeks.

I'm trying to convince my stepfather to steam conditioner into his locs. They look fine, but they can use the extra moisture infusion.

I have a kalpi tone & fenugreek paste in now that I will steam. Then I will follow up with a steam with Claudie's Protein Conditioner.

Back