ever been told "you are not white" because of you hair regimen?

naturalmanenyc

I'm out of state visiting family and had to buy more conditioner....which led to discussion about me running out of conditioner since I cowash my hair daily. I was told "you are not white" and that its bad for my hair to wash it daily. I explained that I cowash, and that yes, shampoo daily is drying. The explanation didn't help.

Why do people insist that even cowashing hair daily is bad? We wash our bodies daily and nobody thinks that is wrong.

Oh, and of course it was recommended that I trim more often to help my hair grow. I responded that hair grows from the root....so why would a trim of the ends make it grow?

These are educated people but they insist on believing things that don't even make sense.

At first, I used to get a whole bunch of commentary about it, but not so much nowsince the condition of my hair speaks for itself.

When I was in college, I used to wash my hair daily before I realized that my fine hair doesn't like to be wet all the time. I got that same reaction from people. "Why do wash your hair all the time, you ain't white?" Often they were a month past their last wash running around talking about "Ooooh, my scalp is just ITCHIN', girl." They'd be trying to tap it discreetly and all that mess while I'm thinking "Yeah, it's dirty. Why don't you WASH?"

When I first went natural and would wash and go, I would hear "You got (or think you got) wash and go hair like them white girls." Quiet as it is kept, everyone has relatively wash and go hair. Once you detangle and moisturize it's your choice to keep going with the flat irons, curlers, etc. I used to say "If you were happy with what God gave you, you could wash and go too." That really pissed folks off! :lachen:

At first, I used to get a whole bunch of commentary about it, but not so much nowsince the condition of my hair speaks for itself.

I agree... The proof will be in the Swangin' hair you will have, and then, there will be no more commentary.:yep:

I use to get that, but like has been previously said, the condition of my hair speaks for itself and the comments stopped long ago.

Give them a blank straight face and say. I just prefer for my hair and body not to smell bad. I'm really sensitive to that. Then walk away. They'll start sniffin' their hair, underarms, and everything else.

In high school I had some girl tell me I was trying to be white because I relaxed my hair and preferred to wear it straight....

I get tired of that myself. I would rather for my hair to be
clean than dirty. I tell them if you want to wait two weeks (til you go to the stylist again, that is you) but see my hair is thick and growing and yours is not. Sounds mean but so did they. Sorry you had to experience that; it really wasn't that big of a deal for them to bring out all that dramma.

Last edited:
I'm out of state visiting family and had to buy more conditioner....which led to discussion about me running out of conditioner since I cowash my hair daily. I was told "you are not white" and that its bad for my hair to wash it daily. I explained that I cowash, and that yes, shampoo daily is drying. The explanation didn't help.

Why do people insist that even cowashing hair daily is bad? We wash our bodies daily and nobody thinks that is wrong.

Oh, and of course it was recommended that I trim more often to help my hair grow. I responded that hair grows from the root....so why would a trim of the ends make it grow?

These are educated people but they insist on believing things that don't even make sense.

That is my mother to me :ohwell:

Shoot, I get the 'you ain't white' crap when I bake my chicken instead of fry it. Sometimes our cousins can be ignant but you gotta love 'em.:lachen:

Girl, I get it all the time too. I went to my aunt's house on last year at for a 4th of July party and this little white girl (10 yr) from next door told my cousin, "I know that she has a weave, because black people can't grow their hair long like ours." My cousin (almost 9 yr) told her that it was my hair (at the time I was a little past BSL). The little girl insisted that I had a weave and it led to an argument my cousin beating her butt. I spoke with my cousin and told her that violence still didn't prove anything to the little girl. Let ignorant people be ignorant. If you try to educate them and they still insist that they're correct and you're wrong then just let it be. The proof is in the results.

Same here.....my mom kept tryin to tell me that bc i have African American hair that we can't wash our hair all the time. Along with that she said that i have to train my hair with heat...get this....EVERYDAY!
I told her i will not be putting heat on my hair everyday and she told me a few days letter that she bet her hair would grow healthier than mine....because i stopped putting so much heat on it.
Now she's having breakage issues and every time we get with friends and family.....everybdy is always asking her about my hair...whether its real or not...what do i put in it....and how pretty it is and how much they love it.

So now....we don't really have anymore arguments about hair. LOL!!! The proof is in the pudding!!

I was told that "using White folks hair products (TreSemme condish) " was going to make my hair fall out.:ohwell: My mom told me that I was washing my hair too often. (I was co-washing daily) Frequent co-washing and DC'ing has done wonders for my hair so I don't worry about what everyone else has to say.

yeah same here. my mother says that mess all of the time, but just like before when she thought i couldn't grow my hair relaxed, her attitude will change about my natural hair. she keeps telling me that i will dry my hair out and that you are not suppose to put shea butter in your hair. she is so cute, it hurts. mean while my hair is thriving as usual and her hair is thinning. go figure!

I always wear the wet look in the summer because my hair is naturally curly and people will joke and say "oh you think you are white huh" and its like why do you have to hate? there is nothing wrong with conditioning your hair! hmm I just soak it up to jealousy and ignorance.

My hair is only shoulder length right now, but I haven't had any say anything racial about my hair. At least they haven't been bold enough to say it to my face. The blatant disregard and disrespect of black women in America needs to stop.

I was told that "using White folks hair products (TreSemme condish) " was going to make my hair fall out.:ohwell: My mom told me that I was washing my hair too often. (I was co-washing daily) Frequent co-washing and DC'ing has done wonders for my hair so I don't worry about what everyone else has to say.
I've gotten this too...my friend says she hates it when black girls use white products:rolleyes:

I hide my hair at school so no one knows my growth...but when I reach BSL and have it swanging:grin: they won't be able to dispute what I say

I have been told similar stuff, not by family but by others while in college. I once was asked why do I use Pantene, why do I use this and that? thats for white folks. I told my room mate its a free country, I can use mustard if I choose to wash my hair lol. And besides its not written on the bottle, just for white people.

yes!

my hairdresser nearly bust out laughing when I told her I airdry. I have also been told im not white so I shouldnt co wash/ wash so frequently.

LOL I get the opposite. Most of my family has 3b/c hair, but my mom has 1c hair. She washes it every other day (sometimes every day). We get into fights such as the following:

Mom: I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU USED ALL THE CONDITIONER ALREADY!

Me: I'm sorry, I use a lot of conditioner because --

Mom: WHY AREN'T YOU USING SHAMPOO?! YOUR HAIR IS GOING TO LOOK DISGUSTING! YOU'VE HAD THE SAME BOTTLE OF SHAMPOO FOR MONTHS!

Me: I can't use shampoo as often as you do. I wash my hair once a week and that's enough.

Mom: YOU HAVE TO WASH IT MORE OFTEN... AND STOP USING SO MUCH CONDITIONER! IT'S EXPENSIVE! AND IF YOU TOUCH MY OLIVE OIL ONE MORE TIME --

---------
Luckily, I'm away at college most of the year and I don't have to argue about my overwhelming consumption of conditioner (or my lack of shampoo use). :drunk:

^^^^ that's so funny. i am the mother who points out that moderate use of products is necessary or you're going to get the cheap stuff. :grin:

And if you touch my Phyto, I'll shave your head. :lachen:

I use to get eye rolls when mom,dad, sis at various times saw me coming out of the shower with wet hair daily. Mom even questioned my about it. I explained to her that I was not washing with shampoo daily but, rinsing with conditioner or just plain ol' water. Mom also use to suck her teeth everytime I was in a store picking up yet another conditioner.

These days they are all over the products/techniques I use because as she puts it "my baby's hair is down her back".:grin: She even went natural (about a year after me) and her hair is below shoulder stretched and she will probably reach apl in 2009 (she uses very low manipulation).

I'm still working on sis although she has cut down on buying alot of useless products, which is good for her pocketbook.

Last edited:
I never bother saying anything about CW. Most people have never heard of it before and all they hear is "wash" which in their mind means shampoo.

From now on just let your hair do the talking.

When I was in college, I used to wash my hair daily before I realized that my fine hair doesn't like to be wet all the time. I got that same reaction from people. "Why do wash your hair all the time, you ain't white?" Often they were a month past their last wash running around talking about "Ooooh, my scalp is just ITCHIN', girl." They'd be trying to tap it discreetly and all that mess while I'm thinking "Yeah, it's dirty. Why don't you WASH?"

When I first went natural and would wash and go, I would hear "You got (or think you got) wash and go hair like them white girls." Quiet as it is kept, everyone has relatively wash and go hair. Once you detangle and moisturize it's your choice to keep going with the flat irons, curlers, etc. I used to say "If you were happy with what God gave you, you could wash and go too." That really pissed folks off! :lachen:

That tapping stuff...:nono:

How about you WASH your hair?

I got that once last year, in school, then I came back after summer break and the same people were asking how my hair grew so long that fast. Silly HS girls ..:rolleyes:

I have been told similar stuff, not by family but by others while in college. I once was asked why do I use Pantene, why do I use this and that? thats for white folks. I told my room mate its a free country, I can use mustard if I choose to wash my hair lol. And besides its not written on the bottle, just for white people.

:lachen:
I've gotten those "you think you're white" comments before, never from anyone with admirable hair mind you. Still, they figured they were right.:rolleyes: I find it very hard to change some people's mindsets about haircare since they insist on holding on to the incorrect ways.

Yea I suggested to someone in my family that they should try washing their hair weekly and DC. I was told that i'm not white and neither are they...

Back