Embracing Your Natural Hair

Have you fully embraced your natural hair?

• Yes.

Votes: 181 58.8%
  • No, but I'm working on it.

Votes: 62 20.1%
  • No, and I don't want to embrace it.

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Some days are better than others....

Votes: 58 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, if it is damaged it is..............And I am being honest my hair was damaged even though it was natural at that time. I was getting split ended and breaking areas because of the lack of moisture and no manipulation.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I disagree that the discussion of not using product = not grooming.

Again, I think there are some varying definitions of terms being used, but that's to be expected since we all come from different walks of life.

There are many days I use no product. But by putting my hair into a pony tail or wearing a headband, I am, in fact, grooming my hair.

Ok, I think I get it lol. There is a difference among posters in the understanding of some of the terms being used.

For you, by what you just wrote, it seems that your idea of acceptance means representing that "acceptance" in some type of tangible form. In other words, you're suggesting that acceptance of "naked" hair means that people should probably be displaying that acceptance in the way their hair looks and you're wondering why they are adamant about "acceptance" when they don't seem to be perpetuating that acceptance in their appearance. You also don't think its that serious. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think others are saying that acceptance doesn't mean carrying the acceptance cross daily in one's styling (or lack thereof). Acceptance, for others, has little to do with appearance, and more to do with the abstract idea of simply accepting and appreciating that your hair grows this way out of your head. You don't fear it, hate it, or wish it was different. That basic abstract is what's important, I believe, for these posters... regardless of their styling choices after the point of acceptance.
well after just seeing MSA's post about her pictures, I guess she is indeed saying that tangible way is wearing it that way

and so did the other

so nope there wasnt misunderstanding at all

just circles

Playing devil's advocate: If one has acne should they embrace their acne meaning be comfortable without using retin-A or no makeup? Why should one embrace acne, acne is a skin disorder.

With natural hair it depends, for years growing up my mother never used anything in my hair except grease on my scalp. I would get it braided but on many occasions it was in the raw (no product, no water, no combing, just patting) for school. And I have to be honest I never liked how it looked because it always looked dry. And when my mother would decide to shampoo it and condition it, it would always break off and snap in the comb which led to natural hair damage. So I had a natural but it was damaged even though it was in an afro state.

But I understand your point.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Acne isn't natural. External factors and/or chemical imbalances cause acne. Acne is programed to grow out of our skin :look:

Wearing a weave, straightening, shingling, etc. etc. are all the same. They're only an "issue" if the person is doing those things because they don't accept/embrace their own hair. But lots of people accept their hair and still do all those things as a hairstyle.

I think we're all saying the same thing...you can't, and shouldn't, judge by a hairstyle.

Oh, that's what you were saying? I thought the general idea you were trying to portray is that if you do not like your hair in it's natural state then you automatically have an issue with accepting your natural texture.

ETA: How would one show acceptance of their natural hair? I understand that wearing it naturally is not necessarily a criteria.

Last edited:
today i took my braids out to wear a w&g and my hair is so frizzy after drying it with my micro fiber towel and i still love my hair.

as far as not using any product in my hair, aint gonna happen lmao. but 98% of my products are all natural.

There IS no confusion on my part. There's only talking in circles. I keep asking WHY do you think acceptance of your hair "in the raw" is so important to those who it is given that they aren't doing it themselves in their pics. Nobody here who agrees w/ this point can articulate WHY they do. If you have a stand about something, you should be able to at least articulate why you do.

There's just "feel good" banter and nitpicking, IMHO.

I think it’s important for people to accept their hair the way it is. If your hair grows out of your head with nary a curl or wave, and you happen to be fine with this, it'll save you time, energy, and heartache from trying to make it look like something it isn't for the sake of not having "nappy" hair and to make it look a straighter and more acceptable texture. As you know, i am totally opposed to this worship and total obsession with trying to adhere to an aesthetic that is not your own. I think it does nothing for natural black beauty and it perpetuates these notions that we are less than another group. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. I'm not saying it's easy to find acceptance, i just think folks'd be happier about their hair if they did .

*And MSA thank you so much for that spanx example.

And in an attempt to cease the veiled accusations about people using product on their hair in supposed naked hair pics… my siggy pic is dry AND naked…no product whatsoever. For the purposes of this board I make it a point to take texture pics of my hair without any product in it and dry when it’s out for this very reason. Maybe I should take it as a compliment that you think I’ve added product in it? I don’t know.

I have type 4 hair. It has no curl pattern whatsoever, even when wet (I posted recent pics in another thread take a look). It is a big cottony delicious mass, lol. I accept this and actually like the voluminousness of it. If it is a crime for me to actually like my hair even though it looks nothing like type 3 hair, then guilty as charged (yes, I know that was corny, lol)

But like you pointed out in another post, why should i care? In all reality i don't but you asked the question, lol. If people think there is a nicer, less piercing way for me to express my opinions let me know, maybe i'll oblige :lachen:

I disagree that the discussion of not using product = not grooming.

Again, I think there are some varying definitions of terms being used, but that's to be expected since we all come from different walks of life.

There are many days I use no product. But by putting my hair into a pony tail or wearing a headband, I am, in fact, grooming my hair.
well I also think/know many of us CANNOT go naked , like we stated or groom our hair naked

so its differences

not acceptance

I think it’s important for people to accept their hair the way it is. If your hair grows out of your head with nary a curl or wave, and you happen to be fine with this, it'll save you time, energy, and heartache from trying to make it look like something it isn't for the sake of not having "nappy" hair and to make it look a straighter and more acceptable texture. As you know, i am totally opposed to this worship and total obsession with trying to adhere to an aesthetic that is not your own. I think it does nothing for natural black beauty and it perpetuates these notions that we are less than another group. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. I'm not saying it's easy to find acceptance, i just think folks'd be happier about their hair if they did .

*And MSA thank you so much for that spanx example.

And in an attempt to cease the veiled accusations about people using product on their hair in supposed naked hair pics… my siggy pic is dry AND naked…no product whatsoever. For the purposes of this board I make it a point to take texture pics of my hair without any product in it and dry when it’s out for this very reason. Maybe I should take it as a compliment that you think I’ve added product in it? I don’t know.

I have type 4 hair. It has no curl pattern whatsoever, even when wet (I posted recent pics in another thread take a look). It is a big cottony delicious mass, lol. I accept this and actually like the voluminousness of it. If it is a crime for me to actually like my hair even though it looks nothing like type 3 hair, then guilty as charged (yes, I know that was corny, lol)

But like you pointed out in another post, why should i care? In all reality i don't but you asked the question, lol. If people think there is a nicer, less piercing way for me to express my opinions let me know, maybe i'll oblige :lachen:
_________________________________flat line

Further, how someone PREFERS to wear their hair is not a sole indication of "acceptance/embracing". Carry on...

Last edited:
Oh, that's what you were saying? I thought the general idea you were trying to portray is that if you do not like your hair in it's natural state then you automatically have an issue with accepting your natural texture.

ETA: How would one show acceptance of their natural hair? I understand that wearing it naturally is not necessarily a criteria.
The question that never gets answered!!!!:spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

:drunk: The topic do you embrace your natural hair...not do you think other people embrace their natural hair? :ohwell:

I have embraced my natural hair and all of the many styles I can achieve with it when I am not being lazy. The hardest part of accepting my hair was the very different and random textures throughout my hair. Styling can be a challenge because of the differences. A great hair cut helped the textures blend better. However, since I am letting my hair grow back out, I may have some acceptance issues to follow.

Off topic: lots of things change the texture of my hair....so what is naked/raw hair?...after shampoo...after shampoo and rinse out conditioner...after co-wash...after deep condition. My hair is different after any of these techniques, so where would I accept myself the most? :rolleyes: Why is it that I never see these extreme requirements imposed on the 2abc-3b boards on NC. They can goopify with reckless abandon and no one accuses them of not accepting their hair!

Last edited:

As far as the bold, I think that accepting your naked hair is a piece of the embracing your natural hair pie, an important piece, but just a piece nonetheless. So if you don't accept your hair in its natural state then yeah, that might indicate that you aren't 100% there yet....but that doesn't mean the person is at 0% either. It's not that cut and dry, at least I don't think it is.

And I don't know how each individual person "should" show their acceptance of their hair. I suspect it's different for every person. For some people that means wearing it heat straightened or bkt'd but not relaxed. For others that means never using heat, but wearing stretched styles. For still other people it means never wearing a stretched style and just rocking a freeform fro every day. And for some people it means wearing confidence regardless of the style they're wearing that day.

The outward signs are different for everyone.

But if we are talking about embracing ourselves then embracing means everything and not just picking and choosing.

And yes acne was a bad analogy but natural hair can be damaged hair if not taken of properly. I want to know how many of you ever wore your hair in the raw (no braids, no product, no water, nothing) for years and not just for a picture or a few days and then try combing and styling for a special occasion and talk to me later. Well I did back all in the 70s and 80s and again in the early 90s. You ladies who have the education now may know how to better deal with the natural hair without product (meaning co washing, DC and spritzing only water, shampoo in sections, using baking soda, using hair bands) but in my family which is African in the raw meant really raw and I am only telling you my experience and I always hated the time to shampoo, braid or press my hair (on those few occasions).

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
But if we are talking about embracing ourselves then embracing means everything and not just picking and choosing.

And yes acne was a bad analogy but natural hair can be damaged hair if not taken of properly. I want to know how many of you ever wore your hair in the raw (no braids, no product, no water, nothing) for years and not just for a picture or a few days and then try combing and styling for a special occasion and talk to me later. Well I did back all in the 70s and 80s and again in the early 90s. You ladies who have the education now may know how to better deal with the natural hair without product (meaning co washing, DC and spritzing only water, braiding in sections, using baking soda, using hair bands) but in my family which is African in the raw meant really raw and I am only telling you my experience and I always hated the time to shampoo, braid or press my hair (on those few occasions).

Best,
Almond Eyes

I'm sorry Almond Eyes. I thought you were comparing raw natural hair to a skin disorder, not damaged hair and a skin disorder. Thanks for clearing that up.

I simply want to know why it's important and to whom. Reasonable questions, I think.To date, nobody has actually answered them. All people keep saying it that it's important and bringing up the fact that many don't accept their natural hair at all.

I'll take a stab at this. I do think it's important when a community en masse does not accept a natural feature of itself, especially when this non-acceptance comes from a history (and continued presence) of oppression and marginalization. It effects one's self-esteem and in the sense that people see themselves and others as part of a group (and we all do), it effects your view of the group as well. It causes you to do physically and psychologically damaging things to yourself and children. It causes you to discriminate against other members of your group that share the feature that you dislike. Yeah, I think not accepting a normal feature of your associated group has negative consequences.

Interesting point about the other textures. I imagine 2s feel more confident about their hair cuz it's more celebrated than 4 hair. They may feel as if they have less to conpensate for.....or at least they THINK they do.

For people with 2abc-3b outside of the African diaspora, they can have just as much drama in their communities as type 4s do in the black community. Curly hair is not widely accepted and a lot of people blowfry, straighten, relax etc. Hearing some of their stories was really interesting.

Another longtime natural here (over 15 years). I have had my ups and downs on acceptance. For the longest time, I never wore my hair straight or out. In the past 2 years, I've ventured into dominican blow outs and twist/braid-outs. See acceptance happened a long time ago and that freed me to experiment with my hair as long as I take care of it.

As far as wearing my hair raw - at it's current length and thickness,I can't. It would break off and I'd have no hair. Maybe I could if it were shorter and had less bulk. It's easy to talk about raw hair when you have less. It's kind of like folks who say they don't use combs and only finger comb. That works when your hair is short. Past a certain point, you gotta break out some kind of tool to detangle your hair - fingers ain't gettin through my nest. :nono:

Honestly the emotionality surrounding this issue, the consistent use of extremes to prove a point (which means that you don't really have one), people not reading the entire thread, and assuming things bc they come from certain posters are all contributing to the confusion in this thread. And like ive said a few times, when people get something in their minds, they run with it and refuse to stop and look at what was actually said in posts. It's as if they gloss over them quickly but don't really attend to them because it doesnt completely coincide with the idea/assumption they are running with.

No one said that people are unaccepting of their natural hair if they wear product in it. That would in fact, be ridiculous. Product makes the hair easier to comb, more pliable, and conditions it. Throwing some infusium or shea butter or glycerin on your hair will not change the hair texture (it doesn’t for me at least) and I doubt folks are overloading on these products to change their 4b hair to 3a.

HOWEVER, my stance is this (post 94):
"I agree with you. I think if someone dislikes their raw natural hair and has to shingle it to the high heavens (or flat iron it) in order for them to be okay with it then there's still that ashamed factor going on."

Like another poster stated, it is a very real phenomenon, this pathological desire to have curly hair so much so that gel containers and small toothed combs everywhere run for dear life. Think about it. Even include straight hair with that (don’t get me started). When the OBVIOUS GOAL is to consistently make your hair UN-NAPPY (If this is your raw texture) all the time says to me that you are not comfortable with that texture. Plain and simple.

Thats all that’s being said. I’m not sure where the confusion is about that.

*Watch someone come in here and totally misconstrue what I just said, LMAO:look:

We definitely have different definitions of "grooming". Just because there's no product in the hair doesn't mean it isn't groomed.

And lots of people walk out of the house without product in their hair, including myself.

:shocked: I didn't mean it that way at all. :rofl:

MOST people use some sort of product during the grooming process. Especially type 4's. If you go naked, you probably wash/condition/detangle or whatever and that's also grooming.

but I was specifically talking about (finishing) product vs. non product grooming because that's the subject of this discussion :wallbash:

i haven't read the thread in its entirety but I agree with jennboo's last post. Embracing natural texture as I see it, is being cool with it without always trying to make it look like another hair type, or obsessively avoiding your hair resembling its hair type. I personally don't see a problem with an occasional switch, to me that doesn't denote that that person doesn't fully embrace their natural hair texture.

Back