Don't Get Married If

okange76

Went to high school with the author. Few Swahili slang words mixed in but very easy to decipher. Plenty of advice to pick and choose from. Happy reading .. a little long

DON'T GET MARRIED IF...

If you're not ready to delay gratification when you are angry. To hold your tongue, lower your voice and sometimes wait till the appropriate time, day or even month before you can deal with an issue thoroughly.... don't get married. Immaturity is the inability to delay gratification. Marriage is for the mature.

If you're not ready to leave center stage and allow someone else to become your focus, your study, your muse... don't get married. Selfish people make very bad spouses. In marriage you don't lose yourself but your heart has to be big enough to gain someone else. And soon, with God's blessing: little, crying, diaper soiling, demanding little ones are coming!

If you are not ready, to stand up and calmly deal with meddling in laws as a united front: The opinionated sister, the insensitive uncle, the domineering father, the manner less brother, the nosy aunt..... don't get married. Boundaries do not exist automatically, they must be created. A good spouse is committed to respectfully stand up for and protect their marriage from meddling relatives. Don't abandon your spouse to your relatives. It's betrayal.

If you are not ready to pay bills.... don't get married. Love does not pay bills. Kenya power will not give a waiver because your love is O so strong and your gazes at each other, O so romantic.

If you are not ready to let go of your opposite sex "best friends" and invest that into your spouse. To like, to laugh, to play, to be silly and to enjoy life with them, above anyone else... don't get married. Affairs happen because people did not marry their best friends. Someone else holds their heart. Someone else gets them better. Someone else inspires them more. Marry your best friend and cultivate your friendship so that you remain best friends.

If you are not ready to stop competing with the Joneses.... don't get married. Let the Joneses buy their yacht when you are still walking, and enjoy the walk. Your journeys are different. They may have to cross the oceans but you may be going through the road route. A boat might not do you any good on your journey. You must be ready to pace yourselves: stop competing, stop spending your future before you get there, stop the debt, stop trying to impress people. You must be able to be content. To enjoy your journey without deciding your happiness simply by measuring your progress against other people.

If you are not ready to be an open book. To tell the whole story of your past, deal with the memories, expose the failures and risk rejection.... don't get married. It is fraud to have someone sign off their life to you without the full details. The past is a touchy and demanding friend. It always shows up in the marriage. It doesn't enjoy being ignored and the more you snob, the bolder it becomes and the more tantrums it throws. It will mess up the "neat" and "all together lovely" image that you are struggling to maintain.

If you are not ready to let go of your philandering and wild oats farming.... don't get married. Don't take somebody's son or daughter and subject them to your germs, your indiscretions and one night stands. It never ends well. It's romanticized in the movies, it's being fronted as the only "realistic" way to stay married and keep the fire burning. But truth be told, the only thing that the fire will burn will be you, your spouse and your children. That family will burn for generations in bitterness, disease, fear, failure, hatred, broken hearts and broken dreams.

Finally, if you are not ready to let go of the adrenalin rush of a risque life and to settle down.... don't get married. The great Columbus who we were told "discovered" America had a diary that was long sought for. People wanted to read about the wild journeys, the sea tempest, the reckless pirates they fought, the death and the danger they must have encountered. When it was found, there was great disappointment. Majority of the pages simply had 5 words: "This day, we sailed on.".

Marriage, like life in general, has many "we sail on" days. You have to learn to find the thrill in the normal everydayness of it. If you depend on wild romance, all night sex [ha], romantic cruises, wild parties, compulsive moves across continents, tempestuous fights and make up sessions to be happy, you may be disappointed. You have to learn to thrill in gentle smiles, loving hugs, knowing looks, cozy moments, shared chores, cute babies, everyday work, dreaming together, praying together and simply living together. If these things are not thrilling, exciting and satisfying, you will look for a way out. The "boom twaff" moments are still there, but they are normally punctuations to the usualness of living. They cannot be your reason for getting married. They are unsustainable on an every day basis. The one you choose must be thrilling to you even in the most mundane of moments.

I pray this helps someone. Remember singles, YOU HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF CHOICE. Never let anyone pressure you into marriage. You are either ready or you're not: You decide!. But please don't marry somebody and then punish them to live with your childish ways for the rest of their lives :). A childish baby is cute but a childish adult is extremely frustrating.

Marriage is for the mature and in many ways, we the married, are still being confronted with the demand to grow up day by day. If you are not ready for that demand, don't get married!!!!

Barikiweni.

BY PASTOR JUDY KARANJA

I only took issue with two things. Giving up your opposite sex best friend and letting the person know all of your past. I don't care about his past as long as he is disease free and matured and no longer do the same things.

I only took issue with two things. Giving up your opposite sex best friend and letting the person know all of your past. I don't care about his past as long as he is disease free and matured and no longer do the same things.

The reason is you shouldn't bring another man or woman into your relationship. If a man is best friends with a woman and starts telling that friend all of the issues that happens in the relationship, he is bringing her into his relationship which is a betrayal. Another woman can't tell a man what's going on in his women's head more than his woman. Now if a man has a female friend but doesn't go into details about his life and hangs out with her once in a blue moon that's no longer a best friend, but a friend. The boundaries and protection for his relationship have been established. If a man can't respect his boundaries with other women, I'm out.

I agree with this list.

The part about giving up opposite sex best friends is a major sticking point I hear about from my single friends.

I point out that having opposite sex friends is cool. Your husband should know them all and you should know all of his women friends. However, you shouldn't be spilling your guts to some man and telling him all the goings on in your marriage. I think the OP covered this topic in a good way.

The reason is you shouldn't bring another man or woman into your relationship. If a man is best friends with a woman and starts telling that friend all of the issues that happens in the relationship, he is bringing her into his relationship which is a betrayal. Another woman can't tell a man what's going on in his women's head more than his woman. Now if a man has a female friend but doesn't go into details about his life and hangs out with her once in a blue moon that's no longer a best friend, but a friend. The boundaries and protection for his relationship have been established. If a man can't respect his boundaries with other women, I'm out.

I agree with this list.

The part about giving up opposite sex best friends is a major sticking point I hear about from my single friends.

I point out that having opposite sex friends is cool. Your husband should know them all and you should know all of his women friends. However, you shouldn't be spilling your guts to some man and telling him all the goings on in your marriage. I think the OP covered this topic in a good way.

So the only way to have a best friend is to tell them all the inner workings of your relationship? If so I don't have any bc my dude don't like me telling our business and I respect his mind. If I have a problem with him I go to him and talk it out, not anybody else.

I think the author "hit the nail on the head" with all of them.

To the people that want to have a male best friend...WHY? That's your husband's role. You can't have everything your way and stay married. There will someone else to consider then.

NOEChic that's not it at all.

My opinion is this - no other man alive can give me what my dh can in terms of support, friendship, love, etc. So I have no desire to have a deep friendship with another man.

There is no one size fits all in relationships. Your situation works for you and your SO and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

I think the author "hit the nail on the head" with all of them.

To the people that want to have a male best friend...WHY? That's your husband's role. You can't have everything your way and stay married. There will someone else to consider then.
Bc that is the way out friendship evolved. It's not like I went out and said today I'm going to find me a new male best friend.

NOEChic that's not it at all.

My opinion is this - no other man alive can give me what my dh can in terms of support, friendship, love, etc. So I have no desire to have a deep friendship with another man.

There is no one size fits all in relationships. Your situation works for you and your SO and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF
I'm not asking another man to give me what my SO gives me. Everyone offers different things.

Well, maybe you'll find a man that's okay with that. The only ones that seems to be okay with that though are the ones with female best friends that THEY don't want to let go of. If that's all good with you, then it's all good with me.

What i'm wondering is, If your male best friend gets married, will he keep YOU on as a best friend.

Bc that is the way out friendship evolved. It's not like I went out and said today I'm going to find me a new male best friend.

Well, maybe you'll find a man that's okay with that. The only ones that seems to be okay with that though are the ones with female best friends that THEY don't want to let go of. If that's all good with you, then it's all good with me.

What i'm wondering is, If your male best friend gets married, will he keep YOU on as a best friend.

I don't have a male best friend. I used to but his girlfriend/baby momma was insecure. I had moved on outta the state and had gotten married. Every time I went home, about once a year, we would meet up to catch up. One night he told me to meet at his house and he would be there after he got off work. His girl was there and we talked etc. Well how was I supposed to know he never told her we slept together many moons ago? He cut up and I was like whatever. I don't know why she was mad, bc I was the one telling him he should marry the girl. 5 yrs and another kid later they still aren't married. Kanyeshrug.

Oh and my dude is cool. Like I said as long as I'm not telling his/our business or crossing the friendship line.

It's not always about being insecure for not wanting another woman in your relationship. That can cause drama...and some people just don't want it. Being sometimes insecure is normal in life...and "woman's intuition" sometimes feels like insecurity...and that's a good thing.:yep:

I don't have a male best friend. I used to but his girlfriend/baby momma was insecure. I had moved on outta the state and had gotten married. Every time I went home, about once a year, we would meet up to catch up. One night he told me to meet at his house and he would be there after he got off work. His girl was there and we talked etc. Well how was I supposed to know he never told her we slept together many moons ago? He cut up and I was like whatever. I don't know why she was mad, bc I was the one telling him he should marry the girl. 5 yrs and another kid later they still aren't married. Kanyeshrug.

Oh and my dude is cool. Like I said as long as I'm not telling his/our business or crossing the friendship line.

It's not always about being insecure for not wanting another woman in your relationship. That can cause drama...and some people just don't want it. Being sometimes insecure is normal in life...and "woman's intuition" sometimes feels like insecurity...and that's a good thing.:yep:

I wasn't in their relationship. But when he told me he got her pregnant I was like you marrying her? He was like I want to, but I can't (or some contrive mess he said). I told him get it together and marry her (that's what she wanted) or let her go. Don't string her along etc. but I couldn't careless about their relationship bc I had my own issues.

You said, he was your best friend until she became insecure. That's too close for most people. By being his best friend, you would've been privy to a lot of personal information about her...and their relationship...because most people tell their best friends personal stuff. That's what I meant about you being in their relationship.

I wasn't in their relationship. But when he told me he got her pregnant I was like you marrying her? He was like I want to, but I can't (or some contrive mess he said). I told him get it together and marry her (that's what she wanted) or let her go. Don't string her along etc. but I couldn't careless about their relationship bc I had my own issues.

You said, he was your best friend until she became insecure. That's too close for most people. By being his best friend, you would've been privy to a lot of personal information about her...and their relationship...because most people tell their best friends personal stuff. That's what I meant about you being in their relationship.

No not really bc he's a typical dude he don't run his mouth about his business.

But didn't he tell you that he got her pregnant...and yall discussed them getting married. That don't sound like he keeps his mouth shut.

But, lets just agree to disagree on this one.:yep:

No not really bc he's a typical dude he don't run his mouth about his business.

But didn't he tell you that he got her pregnant...and yall discussed them getting married. That don't sound like he keeps his mouth shut.

But, lets just agree to disagree on this one.:yep:

I'm talking about discussing arguments, pillow talk, etc type of business. You don't have to run your mouth about your business to tell your best friend to tell someone my girlfriend that ive been with for 3 yrs is pregnant. And just like 99% of the ladies on this board would have done I asked him if he was going to marry her.

I mean dang women on here talk about the thickness of their periods on here and we ain't all best friends.

Last edited:
But LHCF is women talking to other women. Although I don't share a lot of personal stuff like that...there is still a difference between the two.

I'm talking about discussing arguments, pillow talk, etc type of business. You don't have to run your mouth about your business to tell your best friend to tell someone my girlfriend that ive been with for 3 yrs is pregnant. And just like 99% of the ladies on this board would have done I asked him if he was going to marry her.

I mean dang women on here talk about the thickness of their periods on here and we ain't all best friends.

You really don't see how the bolded would be a problem for his gf? And she was just being insecure? The fact that (1) you two had sex before and (2) that he hadn't told her is no big deal? I have found (at least on this website) that the male "friend" is usually not just an innocent childhood friend but usually some type of ex. I will also say that I do not know any happily married couples who maintain close friendships with the opposite sex as in talking often, hanging out, etc.

You really don't see how the bolded would be a problem for his gf? And she was just being insecure? The fact that (1) you two had sex before and (2) that he hadn't told her is no big deal? I have found (at least on this website) that the male "friend" is usually not just an innocent childhood friend but usually some type of ex. I will also say that I do not know any happily married couples who maintain close friendships with the opposite sex as in talking often, hanging out, etc.

That's a problem he should have told her, bc I made sure I told my exhusband that he and I had did the grown up. But if I was in her shoes I would certainly ask him if they still got it on and if he said no ill just move on. Being the chick that I am I would blow it up more than I care just bc that's what I do but I really wouldn't care.

hopeful

How in the world did I miss THIS?!? That's HUGE!!:blush:

Thank you, that's the first thing I noticed.

I think there is a big difference btwn opposite sex friends and exes-turned-friends. Even with my male friends that are married, things are different and I respect that and their relationships.

But personally, and maybe I feel this way b/c I don't have a lot of exes or exes that I keep in contact with, I really dont see the point in continuing a relationship, esp after you're married. And esp not to the discomfort of the partner.

Back