Do YOU think there will ever be a totally non-damaging "hair" relaxer???

Can a non-damaging relaxer be possibly created??

• Yes, the technology is out there somewhere!

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Girrrllll Bye! of course not

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Hmmmm... i don't know....

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • The seemingly inevitable "other" option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thinkpinkprincess

I've been doing alot of contemplation lately when it comes to hair and I've been thinking about the possibility of us someday formulating a totally damage - free hair relaxer... this might sound crazy but I really want to do this! I think it's possible, but people have perhaps put more focus on revolutionizing technology in other areas such as electronic gadgets etc. So... and please don't stone me :look: ... maybe we can put our heads together and figure out a less damaging solution to relaxing hair!!! :grin:
After all, some of the people on this board are probably more passionate about than the average person ! lol

so I was thinking...

ok the bonds are weakened in the hair, allowing it to "relax"... so maybe if there was a potent human keratin treatment applied to it afterwards that somehow froze the new molecular position permanently and then reinforced/filled in the weak spots , like if the keratin atoms were somehow sensitive enough to be able to detect exactly where damaged had occured using some sort of magnetic system..... idk I just started thinking about this like, yesterday so I'll keep brainstorming and doing research because I really think we can do it! I think we can come up with a damage - free relaxer! :drunk: Post any scientific knowledge you have of the relaxing process and any ideas you have!

I like you. And your posts :grin:

In a word: No. Some damage has to occur in order for the hair to straighten. The disulfide bonds are not weakened, they are broken. Granted they can be rebuilt, but they must break in order to achieve the straightness of hair.

BTW, the DAY that Joico comes out w/a relaxer system, I am selling everything I own and moving to their HQ and donate myself to their lab :lachen:

^^^^ I know, right? OP is on it with the posts! I think the answer depends on how you define "damage," hence why I started this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=308471 but I haven't gotten many answers yet.

I never feel like my hair is damaged after I get my hair relaxed. Well, only when I did a botched job on myself. Anyhow, I think Phytorelaxer left my hair feeling absolutely lovely, but I can't afford it.

I've been doing alot of contemplation lately when it comes to hair and I've been thinking about the possibility of us someday formulating a totally damage - free hair relaxer... this might sound crazy but I really want to do this! I think it's possible, but people have perhaps put more focus on revolutionizing technology in other areas such as electronic gadgets etc. So... and please don't stone me :look: ... maybe we can put our heads together and figure out a less damaging solution to relaxing hair!!! :grin:
After all, some of the people on this board are probably more passionate about than the average person ! lol

so I was thinking...

ok the bonds are weakened in the hair, allowing it to "relax"... so maybe if there was a potent human keratin treatment applied to it afterwards that somehow froze the new molecular position permanently and then reinforced/filled in the weak spots , like if the keratin atoms were somehow sensitive enough to be able to detect exactly where damaged had occured using some sort of magnetic system..... idk I just started thinking about this like, yesterday so I'll keep brainstorming and doing research because I really think we can do it! I think we can come up with a damage - free relaxer! :drunk: Post any scientific knowledge you have of the relaxing process and any ideas you have!

Sounds like the Brazilan keratin treatment or one of it's many knockoffs already did this.

In a word: No. Some damage has to occur in order for the hair to straighten. The disulfide bonds are not weakened, they are broken. Granted they can be rebuilt, but they must break in order to achieve the straightness of hair.

BTW, the DAY that Joico comes out w/a relaxer system, I am selling everything I own and moving to their HQ and donate myself to their lab :lachen:

lmao... you killed me with this comment.

Anyone know the deal with that coconut cream-lime relaxer??

How about BKT- I know it's not permanent, but isn't it "relaxing" the bonds? IDK

^^^^ I know, right? OP is on it with the posts! I think the answer depends on how you define "damage," hence why I started this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=308471 but I haven't gotten many answers yet.

I never feel like my hair is damaged after I get my hair relaxed. Well, only when I did a botched job on myself. Anyhow, I think Phytorelaxer left my hair feeling absolutely lovely, but I can't afford it.

I've wanted to try that relaxer! I'm reallyyy apprehensive about self relaxing though... I don't trust myself with that lol

I don't think it's possible for the reasons Artemis stated.

Now, I don't know how the coconut-lime relaxer loosens curls and if it affects the bonds. But I think for most people it only lasts until the next wash unless they do it frequently over a period of time. I'm not sure though.

okay then.. lemme see.... how about this... lol
okay how about something that uses heat to straighten the hair first, and THEN freezes the pattern of the hair strands? lol

okay how about something that uses heat to straighten the hair first, and THEN freezes the pattern of the hair strands? lol

Haha. Nice try. But alas, no. The disulfide bonds still have to break in order for the new shape of the hair to be created. You just rebuild them when you reach the desired shape. That's how texlaxing, curly perms, pressing, flat irons, etc all work...Basically the more bonds you break the more permanent the shape...

But I still like you :grin:

Haha. Nice try. But alas, no. The disulfide bonds still have to break in order for the new shape of the hair to be created. You just rebuild them when you reach the desired shape. That's how texlaxing, curly perms, pressing, flat irons, etc all work...

But I still like you :grin:

lol thanks but isn't there someway to.... idk I'm going to do research on this, I really think there's gotta be way out there I mean we've been able to acheive and ivent so many things that people never thought possible! I am by no means an expert on this but I am very intrigued, I'm going to become more knowledgeable about this, I WILL create a damage - free relaxer!!!!! Off to the lab lol

I do actually attend a school that puts a lot of money into and emphasis on research ... but they might think that this is too trivial of a project :/

Japanese thermal reconditioning??

http://www.thermalreconditioning.com/

This site makes me laugh, though, because it says "Afro hair" can't handle the heat of the process....I think someone had this done recently...I'll look for that thread.

the best thing i can think of is something that rearranges the bonds instead of breakin them down, so protein wouldn't be such an issue, and you could keep the thickness and body

kinda like how a curl perm works but better

Anyhow, I think Phytorelaxer left my hair feeling absolutely lovely, but I can't afford it.

This is my staple relaxer. I've never had any other relaxer give the same results of my hair still having body and life to it (rather than flat and lifeless curls). It is quite expensive but I figure since I use half the kit, and relax approximately every 3 months, it averages to about $120 a year which isn't so bad.

As for the topic at hand. I am intrigued, but skeptical that it can ever be done. I would love to be proved wrong though. :grin:

Last edited:
I've been doing alot of contemplation lately when it comes to hair
I see :grin: And I think that it is great. Your questions are very valid and I am enjoying the discussions.

Anyway as for the OP, well I do not think that relaxers are necessarily damaging. But the idea of a relaxing system which doesn't require permanently altering the bonds of the hair, is an interesting concept.

I wonder how the BKT works? I haven't looked in to it yet.

I agree with Noir that relaxers aren't necessarily damaging, in terms of overall healthy appearance of the hair. You can still maintain a substantial level of integrity within relaxed strands, but this is based on how the hair's health was prior to relaxing.

BTW, the DAY that Joico comes out w/a relaxer system, I am selling everything I own and moving to their HQ and donate myself to their lab
:lachen:

:lachen::lachen:

so I was thinking...

I love Smart women like you.
Just think if LHCF had been around when our moms and Grandmothers were working on their hair....:drunk:
I have no ideas....yet:spinning:

I've wondered this also...I think I read somewhere other bonds are broken besides just disulfide bonds, and i always figured if there was a way to just break only the disulfide bonds, while keeping the integrity of the rest of the protein/bonds/etc in the hair, it'd at least be less drastic a change to hair strength.

Sure. As a side hobby my friend and I are going to discover an enzyme to do this. We'll call it straightenase.

Be on the lookout!

Back