Do you think LHCF and other boards are/will change the face of "black hair"???

I think the boards already have. I have noticed that when I google certain products, this board is on the first page, sometimes multiple times. That's the coveted google top ten! That is actually how I found the board. It's amazing the potential for influence we have going on here and on other boards. Wonderful!

tnorenberg said:
We've already done it and continue to do it. It is a FACT that company reps are members here that use this forum for insight and information. How many people do you think it takes to make up a test group? As little 25 to as many as 500. We have over 2000 members here alone sharing info, providing feedback/reviews on products. That's not even mentioning the same thing that is going on in other similar hair boards. Even one small change in a product that is mass distributed (ie..no SLS's, no mineral oil, addding shea butter, adding cerimides, etc) can make a huge difference in a persons haircare without them evev knowing what happened, but their hair has gradually gotten healthier even with their abusive habits. Perceptions are based mostly on reality and our reality has been changing with better haircare practices, but will change even more as our products continue to use more healthy ingredients.

Proctor and Gamble (Pantene) is a prime example of this. I think that they definitely have reps on this board. I believe that the Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense line was developed after they read responses/reactions to the original Relaxed and Natural line on this site. I hope they're reading this thread now. I'd like to see them add silk protein to their products.:)

RelaxerRehab said:
Interesting conversation. I definitely think that LCHF and other such hair boards are changing the image and future of Black hair care for the reasons that have already been stated.

To humbly add: I think these boards will have an economic impact on the hairdressing industry, specifically, the vocation of being a hairdresser/hair stylist. In a conversation with my mom (a LONGTIME, OLD-SKOOL hairdresser), she has noticed business fluctuations because:

--products that only LICENSED hairdressers could get are now available in mass quantities, e.g., special treatments, certain relaxer brands, even weaving hair!;)

--people are doing their own hair more, partly because of the above and don't want to spend the money.

--people are wearing braids and other types of styles as they become more "acceptable" in the workplace

--(some) hairdressers are simply not listening to their clients about what they want for their hair and now that people have expanded options for hair care, they vote with their feet.

--people are growing out of their relaxers and now have need for different services and there are fewer hairdressers trained or taught (IN BEAUTY SCHOOL) on how to deal with naturally textured hair. A smart hairdresser will see this trend and EXPAND their skills and meet this growing market demand for more natural hair stylists.

I am not a stylist nor am I related to one, but this makes me feel a bit sad. First and foremost, I have wonderful and awful experiences with stylists so I can't say that I hate stylists. I do feel that as with any occupation ranging from teaching to healthcare, one has to keep up with the advances in his/her field to stay competitive. At the same time, I feel that this concept will end up hurting people who can't afford to be hurt.

For example, cosmetology books have been the same (almost) for about seven years at least. I looked at my first one about seven years ago. Somewhere out there is a young lady who feels as if cosmetology is her only option (not saying that anything is wrong with cosmetology, but I have known plenty of people who have done this b/c it did not require a 4-yr. degree). She learns what the schools tell her, and that is all that she knows. She feels that her education was on point, yet she ends up perpetuating the cycle of bad hair care if not careful. Then, we get upset and quit coming to her. Nevermind, that she means well, but does not know any better. I can so see a lot of people hurting with some of the scenarios you described.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are people that work for the larger companies that are surfing the sites. I was trying to remember what the documentary said, but on average african americans spend more on hair products and services than most other cultures.

The smart money is on new products for us. :D As we learn more about what our hair likes, we become better consumers and stop buying the crap they are peddling. In turn, they have to improve their lines. They need to get info...and WE'VE GOT IT! :D (Yay us!)

Hopefully they are also checking out many of the smaller home-based haircare lines like

anitagrant
myhoneychild
oyin
qhemet biologics
etc.

to get ideas on what may work.

Back