Do you think LONGER hair makes you look SLIMMER?

CurliDiva

While viewing many hair albums - I realized that the longer most women hair got -the SLIMMER they looked in their photos. Maybe it is just because their backs are covered now by beautiful HAIR, but this got me thinking!

Just like how some fashion magazines say to never wear anything that cuts off your figure at its widest point - our HAIR - can also provide an extra illusion of shapeliness or slimness!

This may be another reason why MEN find long hair sexy - LONG hair highlights the breast, waist or behind! ;)

What do you think!

I look slimmer with longer hair. I have a roundish face. Shorter hair highlights this and makes me look bigger even though I'm not big at all. I've had braids w/extensions before and the longer hair slims out my face and covers my fat arms.:) I can't wait until my natural hair is midback. someday...........

Hmmm, maybe you are right. People always say that vertical stripes on your clothing makes you look slimmer, hair hangs vertically.

Now I know I must grow my hair to my BOOTAY!:lol:

Others may see me like that, but I still feel huge. Hmmmmm.....I'll look at myself a little more tonight to examine this theory:)

IMO, no it doesn't. If anything, I think it may actually make some people look bigger.

I too agree, I feel like longer hair frames the face more and makes folks look slimmer.
Question:
Do you notice that more slim or thick women have long hair? I see more slim women with long hair. This may be a reason we attribute long hair to one's physical size.

:eek:Ooooh, so that's how I gained those 10lbs!
Damn I knew I shouldn't have cut my hair!....lol

If anyone asks my its the hair that makes me look fatter(haha)

Last edited:
p31woman said:
I too agree, I feel like longer hair frames the face more and makes folks look slimmer.
Question:
Do you notice that more slim or thick women have long hair? I see more slim women with long hair. This may be a reason we attribute long hair to one's physical size.

Before joining LHCF, I used to noticed more "heavy" black women with long hair!

I always thought one reason was they got extra nutirents (good for the hair) from all the extra food they ate. :eek:

CurliDiva said:

I always thought one reason was they got extra nutirents (good for the hair) from all the extra food they ate. :eek:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Hey diva :wave:

Hmmm….interesting observation.

I have a bit of a scientific mindset, and I wonder if caring and growing hair contributes to taking care of ourselves better all around?:confused: I know many people have changed their diets, started exercising, and taking vitamins to assist in hair growth. There is also the psychological matter of good-looking hair encouraging a change on the whole (when you feel good, you look good sort of thing). I don’t know.

I’d love to see a poll on whether hair growth has contributed to increased physically or nutritional betterment. I know it has for me which is why I signed up for the 2007 “Head to Toe Challenge.”

These are the best thoughts / opinions I can offer. :lol:

CurliDiva said:

you are crazy! :lol: :lol: :lol: All I could do was laugh at this post.

I know the hair didnt make me look slimmer. I was heavier and I just looked thick (you know we are not fat in my minds lol) with long hair. I tend to show my weight in my face first though.

CurliDiva said:

:sekret: you're not the only one...*smh*

If hair makes you look thinner then I need to run out and get a weave down to my ankles.

Ya'll gon' have me lookin' like Cousin It up in here!

IMO i do believe that longer hair does make one look slimmer..and i see more slimmer women with long hair...but thats just something ive noticed and seen...but then again i dont see many women in general with long hair...

I think that longer hair emphasises a fat back and broad shoulders if you have them. If you are slim then it emphasises that.
Just my opinion.

Legend said:
Hmmm….interesting observation.

I have a bit of a scientific mindset, and I wonder if caring and growing hair contributes to taking care of ourselves better all around?:confused: I know many people have changed their diets, started exercising, and taking vitamins to assist in hair growth. There is also the psychological matter of good-looking hair encouraging a change on the whole (when you feel good, you look good sort of thing). I don’t know.

I’d love to see a poll on whether hair growth has contributed to increased physically or nutritional betterment. I know it has for me which is why I signed up for the 2007 “Head to Toe Challenge.”

These are the best thoughts / opinions I can offer. :lol:

I also started taking better care for myself since been on the haircare journey, however I haven't lost any weight but gained some:eek:
Still my friends keep saying that I look like I lost a ton of weight so I do think that longer hair,framing the face or body makes you look slimmer:)

When I cut my hair short, I think my face looked thinner, but everyone seems to think I look better with long hair. I thought it was just because I have had long hair most of my life and it's always been my look. I'm not sure about this one...:confused:

Back