Do You Go "Natural" to Get Healthy?

i am sorry, but some of us need to be honest here. a lot of us will do whatever it takes to not mess up our hair. i sweat really bad in the scalp area and my face. relaxed hair has stopped me from working out in the past. if i went to the salon, i wasn't going to sweat my hair out for anything or anyone. i would go every week and i was not about to waste my $45 a week hairstyle. i saw nothing wrong with the segment and i see nothing wrong with saying ethnic hair. people would be even more upset if she said nappy or kinky hair. and if working out with relaxed hair wasn't such a problem, then why is it that people have to get braids or weaves in order to do physical activities the majority of the time? everyone doesn't have hair down their back to just throw in a ponytail or bun. natural hair is not professional in the corporate world. and that's the truth, ruth!

I got hired for my first corporate job while natural. I wore natural box braids (no extensions) and I left the ends loose so they could curl. I liked them to look "worn" and a little frizzy so i washed them a lot to make them puff up. A lot of less informed people thought I had dreads, but I was promoted and given pay raises multiple times during the 3+ years I worked there and my hair never seemed to be much a distraction for anybody.

I don't think I've ever seen a BW wear twists on Wall Street, so... In fact, mostly all of the BW I see have straight hair. Yep, we do have a long way to go.

and isn't our hair (the 4a,b's) a bit more challenging? I wouldn't call it difficult, but it's not easy. :lol:

Speak for yourself girlfriend. How is our hair more challenging than other types? That depends on what you're trying to make your hair do. I'm a type 4and my hair is very easy to deal with cause I work with it and not against it.

i am sorry, but some of us need to be honest here. a lot of us will do whatever it takes to not mess up our hair. i sweat really bad in the scalp area and my face. relaxed hair has stopped me from working out in the past. if i went to the salon, i wasn't going to sweat my hair out for anything or anyone. i would go every week and i was not about to waste my $45 a week hairstyle. i saw nothing wrong with the segment and i see nothing wrong with saying ethnic hair. people would be even more upset if she said nappy or kinky hair. and if working out with relaxed hair wasn't such a problem, then why is it that people have to get braids or weaves in order to do physical activities the majority of the time? everyone doesn't have hair down their back to just throw in a ponytail or bun. natural hair is not professional in the corporate world. and that's the truth, ruth!

kermitface.jpg

Well, I'm not going to comment on the acceptability of natural hair in the corporate world, but I would like to comment on working out. I will not generalize, but I know for myself my relaxed hair kept me from working out as much as I would like. I would always skip the week that I got a fresh perm and I wouldn't work out for a day or two after I spent the time to flat iron.
This is actually one of the many reasons I went natural...so that I could workout without regard for the effect of sweat on my roots.

Just my thoughts...

My question is did she consult some of her "ethnic" black friends about this piece?

I'm sure they would have "enlighten" her about her news piece. I'm so disappointed in her, she's from the 70s, she should know about the afros and such. How silly.

I also wanted to add. What is the difference between a WHITE person with curly hair (be it big or small curls) and our curly hair?

I worked for a white manager that had long 3c curly hair and she was WHITE. What's the difference?

Speak for yourself girlfriend. How is our hair more challenging than other types? That depends on what you're trying to make your hair do. I'm a type 4and my hair is very easy to deal with cause I work with it and not against it.

sweety, when I speak, I am taking in account my own perspective :) Ok, girlfriend.

You can be in denial all you want. If you want to rock a cowash natural, it's easy. Yes! it's very easy. But try straightening that hair after working out and get back to me. OK, girlfriend? hahahaha

ahhhhh

people are so busy focusing on the negative, that they aren't hearing the message...

eta I see you are a new "natural" and I commend you. I'm glad to see that you've embraced your inner beauty but not everyone is there yet. Sisters have a long way to go...

Last edited:
I also wanted to add. What is the difference between a WHITE person with curly hair (be it big or small curls) and our curly hair?

I worked for a white manager that had long 3c curly hair and she was WHITE. What's the difference?

oy vey!!

why nothing is different between our curly hair in their curly hair :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thank you.

Some people are never satisifed and want to find something to be offended by instead of looking at the bigger picture. There are a lot of sisters who don't work out because of the hair. Trust, I can relate... I was one of them years ago.

Last edited:
I got hired for my first corporate job while natural. I wore natural box braids (no extensions) and I left the ends loose so they could curl. I liked them to look "worn" and a little frizzy so i washed them a lot to make them puff up. A lot of less informed people thought I had dreads, but I was promoted and given pay raises multiple times during the 3+ years I worked there and my hair never seemed to be much a distraction for anybody.

I'm glad this worked out for you :yep:. My job is natural-like hairstyle friendly too :yep:

We have a long way to go tho before it's totally acceptable, unfortunatley

Back