DELIGHTFULLY DELICIOUS DEEP CONDITIONING CHALLENGE - PART 3 CONT'D

Hi Ladies,
I just wanted to say the I am loving this challenge! (Thanks Aggie!) My hair feels so much healthier! HOWEVER I have a few concerns. I feel like washing and DC’ing twice a week is causing me to lose more hair because of all the manipulation and shedding. I’m still working out my reggie and I know it might be complicated figuring out the culprit. Here are some facts/observation that might help.

1. I can’t figure out if it is shedding or breakage b/c the hair is wet and I can’t tell if there is a white bulb. The hairs are pretty long so it might be shedding or breakage at the line of demarcation for my relaxer (10 wks into stretch)
2. I have always lost some hair on wash day, but I used to wash every 2 weeks so it didn’t bother me
3. I am using megatek on my scalp 5 days/wk and 5 minutes on the length of my hair every 2 weeks. So I am expecting some shedding but that’s ok b/c it’s a good sign and it’ll grow back. Also my hair loves protein so I don’t think it’s causing breakage.
4. I alternate between ORS replenishing conditioner and keracare humecto for my dc so I think my moisture/protein balance is fine.
5. I don’t do much to my hair after washing, I use ors hair lotion and seal with castor oil daily and wear a wig.
6. I tried cowashing instead of shampooing and it seemed to leave my hair coated and affected how well my dc worked. It also coated and irritated my scalp and aggravated my dandruff. I tried Abba Pure Moisture, TJ Nourish Spa and Tigi Moisuture Mnaiac and they all didn’t work.
7. I detangle gently when a conditioner with good slip is on my hair. I use a wide tooth comb and I still lose quite a few strands of hair.

Pls help me figure out if the shedding/breakage is normal or not.
TIA

Okay baby, I don't see where you have been clarifying your hair especially with all the cowashing. If you are using MT, that could still very well be the culprit for the shedding. Are you using any garlic poos/treatments or taking garlic supplements to curb the shedding? As for breakage from you demarcation line since you are 10 weeks post, yes that could also happen as well.

At this point, if you are not ready to relax your hair just yet, then try protective styling that does not require so much manipulation. My hair is in a sew in right now, but I am still DC'ing regularly (once a week to prevent dreading/matting). I always do some kind of protective styling when I am deep into my stretches. It really does help to control the amount of manipulation and stress on the new growth during a long stretch. HTH.

I am so EXCITED!!!!! After weeks of waiting, my Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose moisturising conditioner is finally here. Postman just delivered them and they're here next to me! All 4 of them! I mean, the AO site was sold out of these for weeks.... couldn't take a chance of that happening again, so i bought 4, lol! Off to have a super hair spa day, I'll report back tomorrow!

Happy Jac x x x x x x

This post is just too cute Jax. I am happy for you too.

Ok, just checking in. I clarified last night with Pantene’s clarifying shampoo and washed my hair with Aubrey Organic Island Naturals Replenishing Shampoo, which I just bought this weekend. I have to say, after reading the review of AO’s replenishing shampoo, I was so disappointed in how my hair turned out. It seemed stripped to me and seemed to tangle easily. I was so happy to move into my DCing treatment. I used Kenra’s Moisturizing Conditioner mixed with Queen Helen’s Cholesterol Conditioner and put on a plastic cap and went under the dryer for at least 45 minutes and left the bag on for another 15 minutes without heat and it honest to God saved my hair. I thought for sure (because of the tangles I got from clarifying and using AO replenishing shampoo) that I would lose a lot during the detangling process and that didn’t happen. Immediately after applying Kenra I could tell the difference. After DCing, I applied Sunsilk Hydra TLC as my leave-in and sealed with EVOO. My hair feels good today. Will co-wash this evening with a cap and no heat. I’ve been doing this everyday because I run and sweat a lot. Stay tuned for my next update….

Any suggestions for another good leave-in?

I like Giovanni Direct leave in and Paul Mitchell The Conditioner so far.

I've been slacking big time with the posting, but I DCed 4 times this week so far...yes you read that right...4 times in 4 days..long story short, I had a minor issue with a self relaxer that left my hair BEYOND dry. The new growth was unbearably dry and I'd never experienced that before, so I figured I would DC until the moisture came back. I DCed with Alter Ego, ORS, AO HSR and last night I used keraphix. My hair seems to be about back to normal now. :grin:

washed last night with puriphying shampoo followed with moisturefuse dc.
Used aphogee green tea reconstructor as leave in.

co washed tonight with mizani perphecting creme condish followed up with lacio and aphogee green tea

Clarified with baking soda and co-washed yesterday (suave Organic Coconut)
ORS Mayonnaise+ honey treatment today, 1 hr, no heat
tea rinse+ leave-in+ detangle+ banding later

Okay baby, I don't see where you have been clarifying your hair especially with all the cowashing. If you are using MT, that could still very well be the culprit for the shedding. Are you using any garlic poos/treatments or taking garlic supplements to curb the shedding? As for breakage from you demarcation line since you are 10 weeks post, yes that could also happen as well.

At this point, if you are not ready to relax your hair just yet, then try protective styling that does not require so much manipulation. My hair is in a sew in right now, but I am still DC'ing regularly (once a week to prevent dreading/matting). I always do some kind of protective styling when I am deep into my stretches. It really does help to control the amount of manipulation and stress on the new growth during a long stretch. HTH.

I have clarified with baking soda, I think that was about 3 weeks ago... Anyway I think I just need to go ahead and relax. I haven't stretched this long without a sew-in and I'm taking a break from those. I don't think my reggie is low mani b/c although I am wearing a wig everyday, I have to part my hair every night to apply Megatek to my scalp. It is getting increasingly difficult with all the NG. I just ordered my phytorelaxer so I should be relaxing in a week or so.

Thanks for the advice

I DC'd with a mix of Yes to Carrots Moisturizing Mask, At One Reconstructer/Moisture Recovery, EVOO and PC. I used it w/ heat for about 30 mins.

Checking in: DCed on Monday with L'Oreal MegaMoisture & suave as a base for 2 hrs with a shower cap as I did household chores.

I used emergencee on dry hair for about 20 min. shampoo with my fav garnier length and strength, used suave to detangle and then put joico kpac on for about 5 min. I'm loving my hair again.

im going to deep condition tonight with joico k pak intense hydrator mixed with honey and olive oil for 30 minutes with heat. but thats after i do a five minute treatment with joico k pak deep penetraiting reconstructor.

Okay, so we had a spa day yesterday!

I pre-treated with homemade ayuurveda oil and MT for 3-4 hours as I went about my day. Rinsed well with warm water then washed with ayurvedic tea and rhassoul clay - this mix really clarified and left my hair feeling so clean and yet not at all stripped! I made my tea with a tsp each of amla, shikakai and brahmi in a cup of warm water, left for a few hours, (I believe 20 mins would be sufficient but I didn't need it till later) strained and mixed rhassoul clay with the tea. It was kinda runny so used a jug and to pour this on my hair, catching it in a bowl and repeating the process till my hair was all covered. I also used it to clease my face neck etc - my whole head basically. Let it sit for 7-10 minutes as I gently massaged my scalp and patted my hair. Rinsed thoroughly, till water run clear (couldn't get over how clean my hair felt, yet soft!!!), then I applied my beloved AO HSR and saturated every single strand of hair on my head. Covered in plastic and a warm towel and a showercap, let sit and marinate for 3-4 hours then rinsed off, finished with a herbal tea and ACV rinse (been reading about porositi control), moisturised and sealed. Hair today feels strong yet moisturised, thank God. i was scared I might have overdone the protein etc but it feels good. I wish it was loose so I could feel it better but I'm happy with it for now. So, no protein for 2 weeks other than MT on the roots.

I really love this challenge and feel it's what will get me places with my hair as regards retention. I know you hear it alot Aggie, but thanks for this!!!!!

HHG peeps!

did a 10 minute pre poo with aubrey organics blue green algae mask, clarifyed with kenra, shampoo'd once with aphogee for damaged hair, five minute treatment with joico deep penetraiting reconstructor, and 20 minute treatment with heat with joico intense hydrator.
my hair doesnt feel as silky as it normally does but i think thats because of all the protein. but it does feel nice and strong so next wash i will use my silk elemnts olive oil mask.

I DC'ed 2 days ago with Hair One Olive Oil cleansing conditioner. It's the only one I bought with me to Nebraska and sad to say I am growing bored with it. I need something else. I will be home next Friday and can't wait to dig in my stash of deep conditioners. Oh how I miss you all:sad:.

Wow, I totally forgot that I have this. I need to pull it out from my stash. I really like it.

Anyway, DCing right now with AO HSR.

I do this too Tarae. I find that I end up forgetting about the first DCs I buy and over use the newer ones more especially if I like them a lot:yep:.

DC'ing with a rhassoul clay mixture for the first time
The mixture contains a lot of stuff shea butter, aloe vera gel, coconut milk, camellia seed oil, castor oil, honey, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist, anddddd Suave Coconut Conditioner.

Did a Light Protein conditoning treatment with the last of my Nexxus Keraphix (YAY! Now I can buy more of my Joico Reconstructering (sp?)conditioner), followed by GVP Conditioning Balm. My hair feels delicious!

Same weekly routine until touch up time...

DC'd overnight on dry hair with SitriNillah; oils/butter added to scalp: bootleg Global Goddess Hair Oil, murumuru butter, meadowfoam oil with Yes to Carrots Mud mask

followed up with protein-y mix of Joico Reconstructor/Joico Daily Conditioner/Joico Intense Hydrator/Moist Condition Pro/Garnier Reconstructor

ended with WEN Fig/Moist Condition 24/7 mixed with Pantene Nature Fusion

Moisturized then sealed with oil and shea butter

pinned up to airdry

Hair loves it.

This is one challenge that I am sooo glad I joined. I needed to get back into regular DCing. I used to do it once a week (years ago), then I stopped. I just used time as an excuse not too. Aggie, you all right wit' me. :yep:

DCing now with a mix of SitriNillah, Pantene hydrator, and lots of EVOO. 'Bout to get under the dryer and meditate for a while, about 30 mins. Will follow with a quick 5 min conditioning mix of Kenra and Porosity Control.

ETA: OK so I got totally absorbed in this website and could not pull myself away to get under the dryer. So it ended up being 1 hr with Sitrinillah mix, no heat. :-)

Last edited:
Here's my LOG! LOL!!

UPDATE:
My DC Schedule so far:
1) Jan. 4 - Avocado and Egg Mix - 1 hour
2) Jan. 10 - Sap Moss Conditioner - 30 min
3) Jan. 13 - Tresemme Natural Conditioner - 3 hours (yup, hours!) :lachen:
4) Jan. 19 - Sap Moss Conditioner + EVOO + Mayo - 30 mins :drunk:
5) Jan. 27 - Mayo + EVOO - 30 mins (wanted to go longer, but... had to get ready for work... :wallbash:)
6) Jan. 30 - Coconut Milk + EVOO + Tresemme Natural Conditioner - 3 hours.
7) Feb. 7 - Sap Moss Conditioner - 2 hours
8) Feb. 8 - Sap Moss Conditioner - 2 hours
9) (:heart2:Valentine's Day :heart2:) Feb. 14 - Sap Moss Conditioner - 2 hours
10) Feb. 16 - Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor - 5 minutes
11) Feb. 21 - THE PROCESS:
Aphogee 2-Step Protein Treatment - 20 minutes
Aphogee Balancer Moisturizer - 10 minutes
Hairveda Moist 24/7 - 1 hour
12) Feb. 23 - Keracare Humecto (with a shower cap) while watching HEROES - 1 hour and 15 mins
13) Feb. 28 - Hairveda Moist 24/7 - 2 hours :lick:
14) Mar. 2 - Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor - a little over 5 minutes :grin:
15) Mar. 7 - Hairveda Moist 24/7 (1 hour under the dryer)- 1.5 hours (i think) :blush: - - - LOL! :lachen:
16) Mar. 9 - Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor - 10 minutes
17) May. 14 - Hairveda Moist 24/7 - not sure how long, just yet or if I'm adding heat... we'll see...:yep:

What up, Shay72? Seems like I always post after you... LOL!

UPDATE: Hair is growing back since my setback! :yay: :woot: :yay:

me~:rolleyes:

Back