Delightfully Delicious DC Challenge 2010 Edition

I'm so happy that I have about one application left of the Black Earth Conditioner. I really wanted to throw it away, but I duked it out for the sake of not wasting my money.

Since I am experimenting with moisture/protein balance, I bought two separate conditioners to replace the Black Earth:

Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol* (for moisture)
Lustrasilk Placenta and Jojoba Oil Cholesterol (for protein)

I only spent $2.87 and $2.57 on each product, respectively. They have some great ingredients in them. The Placenta/Jojoba conditioner does have mineral oil (which I'm experimenting with avoiding). However, the amount is negligible IMO. It's the last ingredient on the list before the preservatives (and the preservatives are the last ingredients on the list).

*Even though the instructions make no mention of rinsing out the product, I plan on using this like I do all my other conditioners-with a plastic cap for 30 mins, then rinse.

DC'd tonight no heat with AO HSR, EVCO, honey and a little QB AOHC for almost an hour while I worked out and did housework. Moisturised hair while still damp with Afroveda Sheamla and sealed with shea and coconut oil, then braided for bed.

any suggestions for DCn in braids?????

Aggie has dc'd in braids. Maybe you could pm her. Is that crown & glory challenge still around? Search for it. I'm sure they have some info in there.

Foufie, Shay is right. I do DC my hair while in braids. The C&G technique is an awesome place to start as well. I do go beyond what they recommended by adding diluted DC to my braids and kept it on with low to no heat (I used synthetic extension fiber) for a few hours.

I would recommend that you use a thick knitted net cap over the braids and pour the lightly diluted deep conditioner over the netted braids, put on your plastic cap, and leave on for a while, then wash out.

I would actually put diluted Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner on my hair as a leave in. It left my hair smelling awesome:lick:. My niece loves smelling my braids whenever I do this.

THANK YOU MS_TWANA, THANK YOU AGGIE!:yep:

as you can imagine, being new to all of this, i'm still experimenting alot.
and AGGIE, you are so right that it is complex because i never had any idea that it could actually weaken my hair!:blush:

when i baggy at night (especially if it's dc overnight time) i usually use AO HSR. but i also cowash every 2-3 days, if not daily.

i baggy bun daily because i'm participating in that challenge (&trying to really do it, not just sign up,lol!:lachen:) and in a different thread, i read where putting some conditioner on our ends will help retention.
since i'm only wearing the baggied bun anyway and don't really have to "style" my hair, i figured it would be easy to implement.

i use Giovanni Direct Leave-In for that before sealing with hemp, evoo and jbco.
sometimes i also put some Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner over the Giovanni.

i hope i'm not overdoing it, but i'm permed (was a bone straight permer, but i did my 1st. texlax in jan.&would like to transition to texlaxed), and i'm also about 14 weeks post perm, so my ng needs alot to stay soft.

i'm going to try leaving my wet, conditioned, sealed hair to dry a bit more before putting it into the bun, so THANKS AGGIE for pointing out that important information!:yep:

HHJ Ladies!:grin:

Girl grow, it was nothing. Glad to help:yep:. I want you to have some long flowing hair so I had to chime in:kiss:.

Today was my clarifying day. I daily cowash and wet bun. I hit up the PC, aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and DC'd w/steam using NTM Recovery Hair Mask mixed with WGO, EVCO and fenugreek. I dried my hair on cool setting and it was silk! My hair is rarely dry these days so it was good to feel how moisturized my hair was naked (the hair, not me :grin:) so that I could use my split-ender to trim (although my ends were perfect. Just a preference.) I spent the rest of the day in a french braid before remoisturizing and sealing my hair for the night.

For the record, I'm having no issues with breakage and I've been wet bunning since I've started in January. I think if you properly seal in the moisture and don't put too much tension on the hair, wet bunning is fine. Oh, and I don't sleep in a bun but my head is baggied. But, that's not to say that it works for everyone. Nothing wrong with letting it dry out a bit first. I just prefer to wrap, baggy and go. :look:

Girl grow, it was nothing. Glad to help:yep:. I want you to have some long flowing hair so I had to chime in:kiss:.

Aggie: you are ALWAYS sooooooo super duper sweet! :clap::kiss::littleang

THANK YOU SWEETIE!!!

for my check in, last night i did an overnight dc on dry hair.
i mixed AO HSR, Neaclear Liquid Oxygen, Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner with some:
thick buttermilk (to tame my 14 wks of ng)
my tea mix (to help liquify and up the spreadability of all that thick stuff...as well as the fact that the nettle, horsetail, and fenugreek teas with aloe vera and eo's added seem to be working for my hair)

it may sound like alot, but i will be texlaxing in about 18 days, so i really need moist, well conditioned hair before those chemicals.

hhj ladies!

oh, almost forgot...i topped my conditioner mix off with some jbco!

DC'd first with heat then overnight with Sitrinillah, AOGPB, MegaTek, honey. I have one use of the Sitrinillah left:grin: then I'll start trying out some of the other DC's I have in my stash. About to rinse out and wear a WnG for a couple days and DC again before putting in more twists.

Had some issues tonight washing my hair, but it's over now...just finished DCing under my heating cap with GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm

ETA: I DCed before shampooing with GVP Joico K-Pak, EVOO, and Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol

Last edited:
ladies, you are not gonna want to believe this:

after all that WONDERFUL overnight dc treatment i wrote that i did yesterday, can you believe i got out of the shower and put some Chi Keratin Mist on my hair AND TOTALLY JACKED UP MY HAIR?!

it felt brittle and dry ... and that was while it was still damp!

of course, i threw some Giovanni Direct Leave In Moisturizing Conditioner on as soon as i heard that crackling noise, but THEN MY HAIR TURNED TO GLUE!
i couldn't even separate my hair with my hands!
what a nightmare!

so last night, i put some coconut oil and shea butter deep conditioning hair mask on and still have it on now (12 hrs. later) i didn't even try to part my hair to penetrate all sections....too dangerous. i just smoothed handfulls all over.

let's hope it repairs that damage today because in 2 weeks i've got to texlax and really can't put chemicals in damaged, dry, breaking hair.

whew! i am so happy to report that i just finished cowashing that repairing dc out (i also did an oil rinse) and my hair is back to feeling soft!

i even detangled with a comb (first time in 10 days) and had very few hairs in the comb!

whew! i am so happy to report that i just finished cowashing that repairing dc out (i also did an oil rinse) and my hair is back to feeling soft!

i even detangled with a comb (first time in 10 days) and had very few hairs in the comb!

That's awesome, Grow!!

Applied AOGPB and AOWC to dry hair used microwave heat cap for about 1hr and go to sleep because I am tooo tired:)

After washing, I did about 15 minutes with Dumb Blonde reconstructor, then DC'd with Jasmines Babassu Extreme (smells so good!), followed by a quick rinse with Moist 24/7. My hair is so soft and silky. Well moisturized and smells delicious!

GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm is NOT playin! I just finished rinsing it out of my hair and I had major slip and softness. This is the first time in a good while that I've been genuinely impressed with a deep conditioner or any conditioner for that matter. If this continues to be a hit I will be in Sallys buying every last bottle. :love2:

Off to rollerset.

DC'd overnight on dry hair under a plastic cap. I didn't wash first and I'm not sure if I should rinse only, or if I should wash it out.

That's awesome, Grow!!

thank you, NJoy! girl, you can imagine how frightened i was when i felt my hair feeling like glued together broomstick!:eek2:

DC'd overnight on dry hair under a plastic cap. I didn't wash first and I'm not sure if I should rinse only, or if I should wash it out.

hi Laidbak! why not try just rinsing it out?
that's what i'm doing and i love its effect on my hair.
(i only poo with Ayurveda, but have suspended that until after my perm.)
you might find your hair likes it.
for sure, it cannot do any harm to try. (not when working with moisturzing dc's at least...as my experience shows, proteins are a different story)

hi Laidbak! why not try just rinsing it out?
that's what i'm doing and i love its effect on my hair.
(i only poo with Ayurveda, but have suspended that until after my perm.)
you might find your hair likes it.
for sure, it cannot do any harm to try. (not when working with moisturzing dc's at least...as my experience shows, proteins are a different story)

That's what I did. I just rinsed and my hair is really soft. I guess I just know that I put a lot of stuff on my scalp so I feel compelled to wash it off. But I'll keep going with this until I actually see a buildup problem.

That's what I did. I just rinsed and my hair is really soft. I guess I just know that I put a lot of stuff on my scalp so I feel compelled to wash it off. But I'll keep going with this until I actually see a buildup problem.

i'm glad it worked out well for you girlie!!!:yep:

maybe THIS is some of that solution you've been looking for!:grouphug:

i know some ladies deal with buildup only once in a blue moon, so that shouldn't present a problem.

now, what about that styling? remember, we dc to make our hair soft and silky, but once that's done, we have to still take good care of it to retain the maximum benifits of the dc.....

GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm is NOT playin! I just finished rinsing it out of my hair and I had major slip and softness. This is the first time in a good while that I've been genuinely impressed with a deep conditioner or any conditioner for that matter. If this continues to be a hit I will be in Sallys buying every last bottle. :love2:

Off to rollerset.

Thanks for your lovely review, Goodmorningruby!:grin:

i was just about to order some chelating/clarifying poo for my upcoming perm, but after i read your review, i just had to put that conditioner in the order, too.:yep:
of course, when i read it has rosemary and algae extracts i was intrigued, but what amazes me is that it gave you that slip and HAS NO CONES! :lick:
i hope my review will be as exciting as yours!

i'm glad it worked out well for you girlie!!!:yep:

maybe THIS is some of that solution you've been looking for!:grouphug:

i know some ladies deal with buildup only once in a blue moon, so that shouldn't present a problem.

now, what about that styling? remember, we dc to make our hair soft and silky, but once that's done, we have to still take good care of it to retain the maximum benifits of the dc.....

I am totally low manipulation right now. I air dry. No heat styling at all.

Conditioned my hair this morning with Joico Silk Results. I was not too crazy about it felt on my hair while it was on my hair but after it had air-dried, it felt amazingly soft and wonderful. I love it.

Back