Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

When Co washing how do you deal with the tangles and dreading?

OMG, yes this is a problem. I know some with long lengths say they gave up on combing and use their fingers and such. I use a wide tooth comb regularly, I do not let my hair mat up and get tangled like that, it is so not worth the extra time detangling. I make sure my hair is combed through before I co-wash or wash. My process has to be quick.

There are times when I am not feeling well over the course of a few days, and with no attention to my hair, it will get matted and need a serious detangle, at those times I add cowboy magic to my shampoo, that way I dont lose any hair in the process. It works for me.

So whats the best to Co wash with? A protein con,Moisture con, a protein and moisture con or does it just depends on your hair?

Thank you. I stalk'd the fotki and couldnt find it.

ETA: I have used Vitale Mo Body Relaxer last two relaxers and love it. I am also tired of expensive conditioners so I am going to try the Mane n' Tail. I saw alot of people have good success with it.

Is this a lye relaxer? Your hair is lovely by the way...

***I think co-washing so much for fine hair could create more problems. But this just my opinion.***

I agree. People with thin tangly strands may suffer a lot of tangling and breakage from daily co-washing.
Re whether bunning / protective styling is necessary: I think people with strong strands can get away with not protective styling simply because their strands are not so easily worn away by friction and exposure. From looking at Lauren's and Sylver's hair you can tell they have thick strong strands and quite likely always had abundant hair. You have to know what your hair will toleraete and what will make it thrive.

Thank you, Mamato! I love your hair, too.:yep:

I also wonder how my hair will be as it gets longer. It's APL now and it takes anywhere from 5-20 minutes, depending on how thorough I want to be. Nowadays the only time I really detangle is when I straighten my hair. The rest of the time I finger comb or just leave it alone.

I'll definitely let you know.:yep:

You are doing great with only 5 to 20 mins...I was expecting more, so whatever you are doing keep doing it :grin:

Don't sleep on White Rain Ocean Mist and Lavender-Vanilla!

I like the white rain ocean mist, suave makes it too. Funny thing is, my husband is the one who bought it for my son :blush: It was in my sons bathroom and I was like what made you buy that, thats some good stuff, and he replied that my husband bought it for him.

I agree. People with thin tangly strands may suffer a lot of tangling and breakage from daily co-washing.
Re whether bunning / protective styling is necessary: I think people with strong strands can get away with not protective styling simply because their strands are not so easily worn away by friction and exposure. From looking at Lauren's and Sylver's hair you can tell they have thick strong strands and quite likely always had abundant hair. You have to know what your hair will toleraete and what will make it thrive.

I understand where you are coming from, but I have to say this. . . .

Growing up, I was always the one known as the "one with the tangly hair". My hair has always been superfine, and incredibly tangly. I always had a LOT of it, but it was fine. Once I started with the steady relaxers, any thickness I had was reduced to nothing. I would take 5 hairs from my head to make the thickness of one of my eylashes. You could not see a single strand unless you looked at it carefully. . .

UNTIL I joined this board. I stated in an earlier post, that my hair is thicker than it has ever been. For me, and I still stick by this, it has been the continuous care that I learned about on this board - particularly NO HEAT. Now when I pull my hair back, it has the smooth look, thickness, and shine that I have always envied on other women's heads. I truly believe it can now grow longer than it has in the past.

My point is simply this, try not to limit your hair options because of its current state. As it grows healthier it will be able to tolerate more. For me the cowashing has been awesome, and my hair is growing like crazy. The moisture has plumped my strands unbelievably and because I am not using heat, the moisture stays in my hair (with sealing).

I am not arguing, just stating another POV. As newbies we have to be open. If we did not need the help, we wouldn't be on this board and swimming through all these long threads, right? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

-

Can anyone answer my question about cones, please? Thanks. :)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=3929603&postcount=1

SO I was doing research, because I love the way my hair feels when i use Sunsilk Hydra TLC, and serums for straightening (CHI, and Fantasia), I mean nothing lets my airdried hair feel the way the sunsilk and fantasia IC makes it feel... But I was worried about build up, so I found some good news for you cone loving ladies:lick:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/ingredients/the-real-scoop-on-silicones

"
There are several main categories for silicones approved for use in hair care products.1. Dimethicones2. Low molecular weight cyclic silicones (cyclomethicones)3. Dimethiconols4. Dimethicone copolyols5. Phenyl trimethicones6. Amine-functional silicones (Amodimethicones)

CyclomethiconesThese are low molecular weight silicones that are ring-shaped. They have been found to provide very light conditioning effects as well as to speed drying time after a wash. These molecules are volatile and will thus evaporate from the surface of the hair, leaving behind no residue. This volatility may perhaps make delicate, curly hair feel drier, but that is just my own speculation.

DimethiconesThese have been the most commonly used silicones in conditioning products until recent years. They spread easily onto the hair, provide gloss and substantivity (lasting conditioning effects), and provide a soft, silky feel to the hair. They also reduce static and fly-away hair. All of these effects are influenced by the molecular weight of the molecule, which is not usually disclosed on the product package. Due to their extremely hydrophobic nature (lack of water solubility), these products may build up on the hair over time if a traditional surfactant-containing shampoo is not used.
DimethiconolsThese silicones are either dimethicones or cyclomethicones combined with very high molecular weight dimethicones that possess a hydroxy-functionality (an alcohol group) at the end of the molecule. These molecules provide significant conditioning effects to the hair and also build the viscosity (thickness) of the product. These are not water soluble.

Phenyl TrimethiconesThese are also not water soluble and are used for medium conditioning effects as well as a very high gloss and shine.

Dimethicone Copolyols or PEG-modified dimethiconesThese are the only silicones that are water-dispersible or water soluble. They are made by chemically adding groups to the silicone molecule that are water soluble. This unique structure enables these silicones to not only provide excellent conditioning benefits, but also to act as nonionic surfactants. They can provide foam boosting and facilitate good wetting of the hair in a shampoo. They provide lubrication, reduce tackiness (sticky-feel), can go into clear formulations due to their water solubility, and do not show as much tendency to stick to the hair. Since they don’t have as much substantivity (the ability to stick to a surface), they are primarily used only for light conditioning.

AmodimethiconesThese silicone molecules are modified by adding amine-functional groups to the structure. This makes them more polar and highly attracted to the negatively charged surface of the hair. Thus amodimethicones are noted for their high rate of deposition onto the surface of the hair, their extreme substantivity, and for great reductions in combing friction in both wet and dry hair. These silicones are considered to be the most useful for extremely dry or damaged hair due to their strong conditioning effects. These silicones are also not water soluble, so due to their high level of substantivity there may be some build-up if hair is not regularly shampooed. However, a preliminary study of this by Dow Corning showed only slight build-up after 3 uses (see reference 2).

Removal of build-upX-ray refraction studies performed at Dow Corning have shown that silicone molecules are almost 100% removed from the surface of the hair when a shampoo containing sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl ether sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl ether sulfate, or cocamidopropyl betaine was used (see reference #2). This is excellent news for those who enjoy the benefits of silicone additives in the products they use and who do not mind using a shampoo on an occasional basis. However, if one plans to use the method of conditioner-washing one’s hair, these water insoluble and organic insoluble materials seem to be something that should possibly be avoided, with the exception of the dimethicone copolyols or PEG-modified variety. Bottom lineStudies show that silicones actually minimize scalp irritation caused by the surfactants used in many hair care products. Fifty years of studies and data demonstrate that these are one of the safest materials we use in personal care products. There is no (current) scientific evidence that silicones are drying or otherwise cause dull hair, although some curlies report anecdotal evidence of such. Not properly washing silicones out of hair may result in them coating the hair, preventing hydration. Some curlies obtain the best results when they use silicone-containing products in cycles: they use them for a while, then lay off for a while, then come back to them. Finally, if you are a no-poo’er and like the results you get with silicones, you may obtain best results if you use products only containing the Dimethicone Copolyols or PEG-modified dimethicones."

Thank you, Mamato! I love your hair, too.:yep:

I also wonder how my hair will be as it gets longer. It's APL now and it takes anywhere from 5-20 minutes, depending on how thorough I want to be. Nowadays the only time I really detangle is when I straighten my hair. The rest of the time I finger comb or just leave it alone.

I'll definitely let you know.:yep:
I love your natural hair. Just love it.

I've been bunning all my life and I definitely get bored with it. I always wet bun because my hair dry is a HAM (big wavy curly dry mess). I don't alway cowash though - I've yet to find my perfect cowash.
I've recently started finding more ideas thanks to ya'll (DLewis, Tiffers, et al).

Here are a few of my favorites.

DSCN1845.jpg

where did you get this hair accesory?
where did you get this hair accessory?

I co-sign on co-washing not the best for fine haired ladies. My hair did best when I co-washed with some regular ol VO5. Sometimes everyday, but usually every 3 days. Bunning works wonders for me too.

I co-sign on co-washing not the best for fine haired ladies. My hair did best when I co-washed with some regular ol VO5. Sometimes everyday, but usually every 3 days. Bunning works wonders for me too.

I consider myself to be a fine haired lady and cowashing is doing some amazing things for the thickness of my hair. I do try and limit it to three times a week though.

There was a time when I just saturated my hair in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 to re-damp (made up word :lachen: ) my hair daily. No co washing required :)

Hey! That's what I do and I wig on a daily! Not sure if its made a difference but I like this no/low manipulation hair stuff

This is true. I bunned most of the winter and my hair grew significantly.

My problem is that I got very bored with the bun. I cut my hair but I am planning to go back to the bun shortly.

I understand where you are coming from, but I have to say this. . . .

Growing up, I was always the one known as the "one with the tangly hair". My hair has always been superfine, and incredibly tangly. I always had a LOT of it, but it was fine. Once I started with the steady relaxers, any thickness I had was reduced to nothing. I would take 5 hairs from my head to make the thickness of one of my eylashes. You could not see a single strand unless you looked at it carefully. . .

UNTIL I joined this board. I stated in an earlier post, that my hair is thicker than it has ever been. For me, and I still stick by this, it has been the continuous care that I learned about on this board - particularly NO HEAT. Now when I pull my hair back, it has the smooth look, thickness, and shine that I have always envied on other women's heads. I truly believe it can now grow longer than it has in the past.

My point is simply this, try not to limit your hair options because of its current state. As it grows healthier it will be able to tolerate more. For me the cowashing has been awesome, and my hair is growing like crazy. The moisture has plumped my strands unbelievably and because I am not using heat, the moisture stays in my hair (with sealing).

I am not arguing, just stating another POV. As newbies we have to be open. If we did not need the help, we wouldn't be on this board and swimming through all these long threads, right? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

-
Your post is very thoughtful and insightful. I definitely agree with you about being open. I've been on this site for about 3 years and I've tried many things (but always with an eye to *simplicity*).

My hair is a lot like yours - thin strands, tangly and super duper dense. I have tried daily rinsing or co-washing - heck I even tried it last week :lachen: - but it doesn't quite seem to work for me. This is especially so now that my hair is BSL/MBL and I have over-processed ends that cling together. When I was a shoulder-length natural, daily rinsing/cowashing was my thing - I had stronger, more coily strands - so water smoothed and detangled them instead of tangling them and stretching them past breaking point. As my hair changes, my methods change. And I'm always searching and revisiting methods to find something that works for good.

Anyone put castor oil in their co-wash conditioners...I'm thinking of doing this for thickness?

I don't use CO for my conditioners but I use it to deep condition and it does thicken up my hair and I even use it when I rollerset and the hair comes out thick. The only thing is that you need to make sure that you are clarifying every 2 weeks or so because it is a heavy oil and have build up on your hair.

Back