Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

Olive butter is the only butter I have liked that I have used. Im sure someone else can suggest something.:yep:

Co-washing worked really well for me. I was doing it about 3 times a week. In fact, I think I need to get back on it.

Cowashing def. helps me retain moisture & helps soften my ng during my relaxer stretch. To avoid buildup, sometimes I'll just rinse with water only.

White Rain Naturals in Ocean Mist (3 kinds of algae make it supa moisturizing) and Lavender Vanilla are EXCELLENT at only a buck!

Mid-Range Cones
Mid-Range Leave-In’s
Low-End Cone’s
Low-End Leave-in’s

I understand "cone-free" and "water-soluble cone" but what are "mid-range" and "low-end" cones? Does that refer to where the cones are listed on the ingredient list?

And I have to say, I didn't really think about it at the time, but in retrospect, in the past 4 years that my hair finally grew beyond BSB to past WL, I actually was co-washing and bunning (or just clipping up my hair) most of the time. But I do think that minimal heat (2-4 times a years) and low manipulation helped me a lot too.

Not to be a party pooper, but I think low mani, moisture, and any true protective styles are the real keys.

Sylver2 didn't co-wash or bun every single day during her 1 year stretch. She wore LOTS of down styles and washed every 7-15 days or when she knew she needed to do so or had time (if she was sick.)

But...she was a stickler for moisture, low manipulation and PSing, whether that meant buns, twist outs, braidouts, bant knot outs, etc...

I could not bun or co-wash every day with my hair texture once it reaches SL or beyond....it's too thick.

What do you guys think? Hope that didn't come off wrong, but Sylver2 is the first person I thought about on this particular thread...

cj

Not to be a party pooper, but I think low mani, moisture, and any true protective styles are the real keys.

Sylver2 didn't co-wash or bun every single day during her 1 year stretch. She wore LOTS of down styles and washed every 7-15 days or when she knew she needed to do so or had time (if she was sick.)

But...she was a stickler for moisture, low manipulation and PSing, whether that meant buns, twist outs, braidouts, bant knot outs, etc...

I could not bun or co-wash every day with my hair texture once it reaches SL or beyond....it's too thick.

What do you guys think? Hope that didn't come off wrong, but Sylver2 is the first person I thought about on this particular thread...

cj

ITA.... Moisture and low maintenance are definitely crucial. That's why bunning is so effective. Your hair is constantly moist, tucked away and not being manipulated. Handle your hair with care, be gently to your ends, keep it moisturized and not cut it too often and you will retain your length.

Great advice on bunning!

But, are there any 4a/4b natural heads wet bunning & co-washing? Any pictures out there? When I wear a bun I gel my hair so that it's neat. Hair butters wouldn't do the trick for my hair, and it's very thick:ohwell:

cj

I don't think it is wrong at all. IMO, what helped Slyver was her stretch (from the relaxers, which meant her protein bonds in her hair wasn't broken which can lead to dryness), her low manipulation and protective styling. They point is that very rarely will a person stretch their relaxers for a year like Sylver did. In essence, that is exactly what co-washing and bunning is. Co-washing is just keeping water in the head (moisture) and bunning is PS'ing.

I love Slver's method. I don't think that we should look over the fact that she did a 1 year stretch, which helped strengthen her hair. I just don't think her method would be so successful had she been relaxing every 6-8 weeks as normal. her method took a lot of effort and we shouldn't take that away from her.

Great advice on bunning!

But, are there any 4a/4b natural heads wet bunning & co-washing? Any pictures out there? When I wear a bun I gel my hair so that it's neat. Hair butters wouldn't do the trick for my hair, and it's very thick:ohwell:

I haven't been bunning lately, but I plan on going back after I stop wearing my LF that I ordered

When I did bun for like 4 months last year, it really made a difference. My buns are kinda boring though unless I blow my hair out first to get more volume. Here is a pic of a wet bun w/ some gel:

Attachments

• Bun.jpg
    Bun.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Bun Side.jpg
    Bun Side.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 237
I haven't been bunning lately, but I plan on going back after I stop wearing my LF that I ordered

When I did bun for like 4 months last year, it really made a difference. My buns are kinda boring though unless I blow my hair out first to get more volume. Here is a pic of a wet bun w/ some gel:

I like your wet bun.:yep:

cj

You have to find what works for you. Sylver has found what works for her and something she can live with. That's not gonna work for everyone else or it might, IDK. Braidouts didn't work for me.

Well all have to find that thing that works for us.

I am co-signing with Dlewis on the fact that different things work for different people. I think fine haired women who bun wet must be very careful. I used to do this when my hair was relaxed and I thought that the low manipulation and no heat were helping but the wet bunning with all of the moisturisers caused breakage.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Ok Ok I thank I have it

When I co wash I do not have to wet bun ***Just Bun****

When I saw the title of the thread I thougt it was about keeping the hair damp

Did I get it? :yep:

when i first tried cowashing I hated it. I was using tresemme and HE helo hydration. Now that I have revisited it with Suave humectant and Long term relationship, its better. I am 11 weeks post so Im going to give the cowashing and damp bunning ago. Its even better with WEN, but that is too expensive and I probably wont reorder.

This is my hair this morning after my co-wash - last night:
V05 Strawberries and Creme
Cantu Sheal Butter Leave-in
QP Mango Butter
EVCO
JBCO on ends

IMG00148-20090514-0938.jpg

Device MemoryhomeuserpicturesIMG00117-20090506-1456.jpg

IMG00146-20090514-0937.jpg

Last edited:
Ok Ok I thank I have it

When I co wash I do not have to wet bun ***Just Bun****

When I saw the title of the thread I thougt it was about keeping the hair damp

Did I get it? :yep:

It doesn't have to be wet buns. I prefer those. But I also dry bun. As long as the ends are protected.:yep:

This is my hair this morning after my co-wash - last night:
V05 Strawberries and Creme
Cantu Sheal Butter Leave-in
QP Mango Butter
EVCO
JBCO on ends

View attachment 33979

View attachment 33981

View attachment 33983

It turned out very nice. I love the waves.

OMG - my bun is NOTHING compared to all of yours!! :notworthy:

I am trying to get where you are one day - maybe then I won't feel so blah with my buns!

:lol:Your bun is very pretty. The longer it gets the fuller it'll be.

I've been bunning all my life and I definitely get bored with it. I always wet bun because my hair dry is a HAM (big wavy curly dry mess). I don't alway cowash though - I've yet to find my perfect cowash.
I've recently started finding more ideas thanks to ya'll (DLewis, Tiffers, et al).

Here are a few of my favorites.

DSCN1738-1-1.jpg

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

messybun2.jpg

messybun.jpg

It doesn't have to be wet buns. I prefer those. But I also dry bun. As long as the ends are protected.:yep:

It turned out very nice. I love the waves.

:lol:Your bun is very pretty. The longer it gets the fuller it'll be.

Thank you ... I think I'm going to incorporate hot oil treatments. My line of D is causing breakage and I have to up my protein will include with my weekly wash, dc, etc.

I've been bunning all my life and I definitely get bored with it. I always wet bun because my hair dry is a HAM (big wavy curly dry mess). I don't alway cowash though - I've yet to find my perfect cowash.
I've recently started finding more ideas thanks to ya'll (DLewis, Tiffers, et al).

DSCN1738-1-1.jpg

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

messybun2.jpg

messybun.jpg

Your hair is beautiful and I love your buns...

DSCN1738-1-1.jpg

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

messybun2.jpg

messybun.jpg

SORRY DOUBLE POST ...
Your hair is beautiful and I love your buns.

How many of you dry bun?

I was thinking of roller set, wrap then dry bun every day
I like the messy bun does it make a difference.

Back