Cowashing and bunning the key to wsl hair!

Thank you for this extensive List Z lady! I have been co-washing with Ganier Fructis Moisture Plus which had cones in it. I am going to clarify tomorrow and will start using V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie instead.

I've only been cowashing for three weeks and I ALREADY see thickness and I am now noticing that my hair is retaining length.:grin:

Thanks again!!!

I have the conditioner in now, this is the question.
When I cowash should I rinse out the conditioner if I am going to leave my hair
wet to bun? I assumed I am to bun the wet hair correct?

Thanks isawstars, BTW what conditioner do you use to cowash?

I only co wash once, maybe twice a week because I tend to experience a lot of build up. I rinse my hair with cold water 4-5x a week instead of co washing regularly. But when I do co wash I use Kera Care's Moisturizing Conditioner for Dry & Itchy Scalp or Mane & Tail's Deep Moisturizing conditioner.

i think when people say cones they mean dimethicone or silicone or some substance that ends in "cone"

someone correct me if im wrong

Is this bad for my hair, I just purchased Suave Professional Sleek Conditioner.
Hard to read on the back looks like Dimethiconol listed?????

im not sure if its bad for your hair
one of the lhcf experts should tell you im just a newbie
i think dimethicone makes your hair shiny

more...

On-Line Cone-Free Conditioner Listing:

(http://healing-scents.com/index.html (http://healing-scents.com/index.html))
Healing Scents Cedar Forest
Healing Scents Citrus Rain
Healing Scents Dreams of Spring
Healing Scents Herbal Essences
Healing Scents I Love Lavenders
Healing Scents Jasmine Dream
Healing Scents Juniper Forest
Healing Scents Raspberry Kissed
Healing Scents Roses in Spring
Healing Scents Ylang Ylang

(www.cosmeticswithoutsynthetics.com (http://www.cosmeticswithoutsynthetics.com/))
CWS Herbal Conditioner

(http://www.myhoneychild.com (http://www.myhoneychild.com/)
Afri-Koko Conditioner
Banana Creme Conditioner
Sweet Citrus Conditioner
HoneyBerry Conditioner
HoneyLemon Conditioner
HoneyNut Conditioner
Jamaica Island Conditioner
MYHoneyChild Fragrance-Free Conditioner
Soy Pure and Balancing Conditioner

(http://www.gothrosary.com (http://www.gothrosary.com/))
Can’t Wait Demeter Hair Conditioner
Crypt Hair Conditioner
Dead on Chocolate Hair Conditioner
Dervish Hair Conditioner
Fairy Wings Hair Conditioner
Funeral Flowers Hair Conditioner
Gothic Rose Hair Conditioner
Graveyard Hair Conditioner
Heathen Hair Conditioner
Mayhem Hair Conditioner
Nocturnal Hair Conditioner
Nothingness Hair Conditioner
Samhain Hair Conditioner
Seasons Greetings Hair Conditioner
Seattle Rain Hair Conditioner
Shadows Hair Conditioner
Tea & Sympathy Hair Conditioner
Vanilla Hell Hair Conditioner
Wicked Hair Conditioner

Can I get any of these at Sallys?

The most important thing with co-washing is alternating and keeping that protein and moisture balance. In addition, I highly suggest using a leave-in conditioner and take your time detangling--so important. I started in January 2009 due to working in unsanitary conditions, co-washing every other day to keep my hair clean and I noticed that I retained strong ends w/o trimming--only some dusting.
***I think co-washing so much for fine hair could create more problems. But this just my opinion.***

Also, as I have been co-washing more now, I tend to use more quality products that I find at discounted rates in Marshalls or Ross such as Healthy Sexy Hair Soymilk Conditioner, Phyto Relax Nourishing Conditioners and others. I normally now am a Nature's Gate fanatic in co-washing(Aloe Vera Moisturizer, Herbal Daily Conditioner).

And I also, have to clarify now every two weeks.

Ok Ladies I am want to make sure I am doing this correct.
I saw this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=359189&page=6&highlight=damp+hair

If I cowash in the morning -- Rinse out the Conditioner??
Can I bun with conditioner? or should I rinse it out?
Put moisture and oil then bun wet?
Is there a heavy leave in ? My hair did not comb well with just my moisturizer in it?
I am afraid of losing too much air in detailing

I want to do damp hiar for the majority of the summer.

Ok Help Me I do not know what I am doing

Can I get any of these at Sallys?
I am sure that you can get SOME of them from Sally's. The most popular on the board (Suave or Alberto V05) are found in any drugstore or supermarket. They are not in the "ethnic" hair care aisle, just the "mainstream" poo and con. I suggest the V05 Moisture milks (strawberries n cream and peaches n cream). They are only a dollar a piece.

As for cones, they are silicones commonly found in hair products. The most common silicones include dimethicones, which are added to products to help with ease of combing, hair shininess, and hair softness. They are tricky lil monsters because even though they make help your hair look and feel good, they coat the hair shaft making it impossible for moisture to penetrate, often leaving build up. Any silicone ending in PEG-(a number here, ex PEG-40) is considered "water soluble" which means that it is easily rinsed with water. This is a GOOD cone. It is good because it can be rinsed out with water and does not need a sulfate-containing cleanser to get out. Very rarely, does a product have water-soluble cones. Any ingredient ending in cone, means that it is probably a cone.

I hope that answers your questions.

I saw this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=359189&page=6&highlight=damp+hair

If I cowash in the morning -- Rinse out the Conditioner?? I rinse but don't rinse the conditioner out completely
Can I bun with conditioner? or should I rinse it out? You can bun with conditioner
Put moisture and oil then bun wet? yes
Is there a heavy leave in ? My hair did not comb well with just my moisturizer in it? Leave a little conditioner in at it should be fine

I am afraid of losing too much air in detangling.

Answers in red

If I cowash in the morning -- Rinse out the Conditioner??
Yes. But make sure you add a leave in moisturizer (I just use some conditioner) and seal with oil. Make sure you really get the ends good too.

Can I bun with conditioner? or should I rinse it out?
Rinse out. Apply some leave-in/moisturizer to hydrate the hair.

Put moisture and oil then bun wet?
Yes. I would refrain from doing it "sopping" wet. This means, try and allow some of the water to be soaked by your towel before doing any styling.

Is there a heavy leave in ? My hair did not comb well with just my moisturizer in it?
I am afraid of losing too much air in detailing
I put about 3 qtr size amounts of my condish in. before that, I use a spray leave-in conditioner by Biolage. This helps with detangling too. Remeber that the majority of your detangling should be done in the shower or whenever your hair is saturated with condish.See my first post in this thread for the sectioning technique.

It's okay. You are asking all the right questions.

Suave Professional Sleek Conditioner

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium-18, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Butyrospermum Parkii), Lanolin Oil, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Silk Amino Acids, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch.

It has a cone and a sulfate.. This is a NO NO for daily co-washing. This is only my opinion though.

Sorry for all the question but I want to get it right.

If I leave a little conditioner in when I bun for the day can it give me build up?
How do I avoid build up?
If I get some build up what should I use?
Since I am relaxed does it make a difference?

Should I do the damp hair every day for the summer???

How long can hair stay wet before it mildews? Does it have to completely dry in between poos?

I'm thinking about cowashin, my hair did not like it before though (may have been the product). hmmm maybe a mild poo a few times a week (I have done this before and it was fine).

Just thinking out loud and trying to convince myself to do this...

Sorry for all the question but I want to get it right.

If I leave a little conditioner in when I bun for the day can it give me build up?
How do I avoid build up?
If I get some build up what should I use?
Since I am relaxed does it make a difference?

Should I do the damp hair every day for the summer???

Use a chelating shampoo.

I'm thinking about this too...

Suave Professional Sleek Conditioner

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Fragrance (Parfum), Quaternium-18, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Butyrospermum Parkii), Lanolin Oil, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Silk Amino Acids, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch.

It has a cone and a sulfate.. This is a NO NO for daily co-washing. This is only my opinion though.

Thanks Products is the hardest part of growing my hair is to know what prodcuts to use? I have to do better --- Will get som suave tomorrow.

This is harder than I thought.

I was pretty sure it can, just didn't know how long it takes...thanks! I'm moving to FL next month this is the main reason I want to give it a try. I already know weekly flat ironing, or just flat ironing is not going to work. I'm leaving on June 9...about four weeks. After this weekend I don't have any plans for anything fancy so I think I will give it a try starting Sunday.

Well I guess you CAN move the bun around, switch to braids etc...well duh!!??

One more question, please. What can I use to hold my bangs down? They are growing out and don't reach my bun yet. I don't use gel and hate Jam. TIA!

Back